Did you ride today ? new and improved thread

26 miles with Gina today. Thought a recovery ride but when the headwind is stiff, ain't no relaxing ha ha! Nice easy cruise back though.

Red was the color of the day!

DSCN2679.JPG

Forgot my jersey, thank goodness for those jerseys that hang out behind your seat for 2 years ha ha!

DSCN2681.JPG

I don't think anybody's going to believe that's our Mercedes.

DSCN2692.JPG

I think we're a Trek family.

DSCN2695.JPG

Reactions: zipp2001
Wednesday night Ice Cream Ride (Tasty Pastry). Cool little ride, small group which I liked. Well behaved riders and less chaos. Had a skinny guy challenge me on a short 1/5 mile 6% climb. He shouted out let's go so I did. I rarely stand but I did to power up the climb. Yeah baby! 100 pounds more than he and I won ha ha! Sometimes the skinny guys underestimate us big guys ha ha! But I do have to say over the last 3 months, I've been riding harder and harder and the grades are getting easier and speeds faster and faster. Still racking up PR's on the climbs so the strength is coming back now that I have increased my riding time.

Regroup

000icecream1.jpg

Don't worry, one is for my friend. I'm not a double fisted ice cream eater ha ha! Only one scoop because the 3 mile grind is still ahead and I had a feeling another skinny guy would be testing me. He did! :D

000icecream2.jpg

The video

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

OK, so I get really frustrated on group rides. Too many wheel suckers. Now I can not count the times that other riders sit on my wheel for long periods of time. So I'm working hard at times, especially up grades. I've moved over and asked them to go up front. They always seem to have an excuse. And the ones that do will SPRINT around and try to drop me! o_O Of course they fade 1/4 mile later.

Last trail ride we did, the leader was shouting at a few guys to take the front if they were going to suck wheel. Of course when it was his turn, actually 2 riders ahead of me in line, the lead rider pulled off and the 2 ahead of me split like a wishbone with that dopey look on their faces, like I don't wanna go! :confused:

Whatever! So today was another 40 mile ride and I was invited but I didn't answer. My plan was to go do the ride alone that way I didn't have to pull anybody and I could do my own thing. By that I mean, the riders are hitting 20+ even before I get out of the parking lot. They take off and pull away. I keep my pace and 30 miles into a 60 mile ride, I'll end up at the front and they can't keep the pace. Pretty frustrating! 20+ out, 14 back! :D:p:D

So like I said, I did just about the same ride they did today. I left 15 early and solo. I ended up with a 17.0 over a 46 mile ride and they had a 16.2 over 40 miles. :oops:

So now I am glad I didn't ride with them. Probably would have been pulling a bunch of wussies who won't go to the front. :D

I actually enjoy my solo Fat ******* rides more then group rides. 46 miles at 17.0 average speed. And a poser photoshoot after the ride ha ha!

DSCN2742-600.JPG

I think this is my favorite graphics on my jersey collection right now. Really like it but wish it was Primal brand like my others, better made. Though this one is ok, Suarez a little less in quality but for $24, I can't complain. The Primal are about $10 more.

DSCN2751-600.JPG

26 miles at 16.4 average speed with Gina today. For taking a year off and not riding much lately, she is doing really well. Killer headwind to the beach today but she hung tough. On the return, we just cruised back at a steady 18.7 for the 10 mile return according to strava. We could have pushed back but I was already happy with her ride so we just kept it steady having fun!

Just cruising back!

DSCN2774-600.JPG

Thinking it was going to be really hot with an 11 am start. Was supposed to be 104 yesterday and a blistering weekend. Didn't seem that hot to me. Today was actually nice and Gina was shocked that the heat was not a factor at all.

DSCN2757-600.JPG

Saturday, 60 mile ride from Corona to San Clemente pier at 16.9 average speed with friends.

Sunday, 26 miles with Gina at 16.5 average speed. Gina is coming back well after a year and some off the bike. Today she was very comfy after the ride feeling great. I almost thought she was going to drop me a few times. :D

DSCN2794.JPG

DSCN2806.JPG

Did an easy 15 miler last night doing loops around the industrial center.

Put a new Charge Spoon saddle on my 1998 Cannondale, perfect fit once again, love this $28 saddle. Read about them years ago in a cycling forum and thought it impossible. Well, my favorite saddle is up to $175 so I gave it a try about 3 months ago. Since then, I have now bought 3 and all do no disappoint!

I set it up on my trainer then headed out thinking I'd have to make a couple of adjustments but nope, WOW! Love it!

It is dark in some sections but very very little traffic and if there is, I can hear it and see it coming from a long distance away so it's pretty safe out there. At times I see a big rig that has just loaded at a local dist center. If I am headed that direction, I can easily change course and avoid it all together.

But last night, I was on a short secluded little street and put my head down for a couple of seconds. I ride these streets a lot so I know where all the pot holes are. But looking down at my rear light for a couple of seconds, I turned my head back then heard loud scraping on the road. Big surprise as I turned my head back to the fore section of my bike so it really startled me. I saw a figure appear out of nowhere! It was a homeless looking hooker lady walking along the gutter scraping her sandals in the gutter while dragging her feet.

Plenty of truckers stop here and there waiting to load I guess. So I think she was on her way to get a little business. Well heck, had I known, I would have brought 10 bucks with me and tried to talk her down to a good price ha ha ha! :D:p:D

But anyway, a nice easy 15 at 13.6 average speed to stretch the legs and relax. Nice cool eve on a hot summer day, nice ride!

Posing for the pics. In the full body shot, I'm only going about 3 MPH trying to catch the shot ha ha! The saddle is all black so the grey strip on the back is lighter in the pic only because it is reflective and lit up from the camera flash. The little bag, well constructed, smooth zipper, only $8 on ebay. Good deal, great size for local rides up to 25 or so carrying 2 tubes and tools. Like it! And reflector strips. Nice well constructed reflector strap on back so light is secure vs a few other models I have that cost more.

DSCN2816.JPG
DSCN2821.JPG
DSCN2825.JPG

I tried to beat a Strava segment today (well, place in top 5). Needless to say my legs and lungs weren’t having much of a climb today even though I set a new PR and overall time on this routine route.

Defeat is a hard pill to swallow sometimes!

43 solo miles at 16.8 average speed. Tried for 17 but my burnt up legs weren't having it today with the big headwind and 92 average temp. 108 high in my hometown today. Either way, any day on the bike is a good day!

Burnt up legs? Thursday night I did the group ride and totally fed up with the lousy handling skills, rider worship and all the dangerous tactics that go on. I have been saying for weeks I am not going back but just thinking of my own fitness and workouts, I have gone. But totally fed up now so Thursday night, I go up front and pushed the pace to kill the gods and goddesses ha ha! Then on the gentle climbs back I pushed the pace just to punish them a little bit just to show them, they aren't as bad as they think they are ha ha ha! I did have one skinny guy pull ahead on the long grind but caught up to him by the final short steep climb.

Then he rolled away a bit as I gulped down some water. But I knew I'd catch him now that we were on the flats. Long straight strip, I closed down a 50 yard gap that he opened on a slight downhill when I got the water. But once I caught him, we rolled up to a red light intersection. He worked his way through it between cars, just to stay ahead. Then caught up again and he did it again, and again. 3 red lights and 2 stop signs just to stay ahead. He's willing to die just to stay ahead on a friendly competition ride? Heck, if someone catches me, I stop at the red light regardless. I'm done with the stupidity of the riders there. I even blocked several of them on fb and strava. I just can't deal with that kind of stupidity while riding my bike!

So today was nice, my pace, my effort, no wheelsuckers! :D

After the ride, now the hard part, packing up the bike.

DSCN2835.JPG

Hot but I survived!

DSCN2838.JPG

I put another, my third Charge Spoon saddle on my Cannondale. Sure is a nice riding saddle, fits me just right. Not bad for a $25 saddle.

DSCN2840.JPG

Gina and I did a 26 miler @ 15.7 average speed with an average temp of 94 today. High of 100. Yeah, it was hot! We set off and after the first 3 miles I knew we better take it easy so I pretty much cruised into the wind heading toward the coast. I thought it was hot heading to the coast but Gina says hotter on the return.

We stopped at the train station to cool off in the AC (we park here). We sat at a table in the AC but man, still sweating. I looked down the way and what do you know? The frozen yogurt/smoothie/pretzel shop was open. I looked in my bike bag and scrapped up some bucks I had laying around. I headed over and picked up a FG for Gina. Her favorite, chocolate with Cap Crunch for a topping. Really hit the spot!

About mile 3, better back off and go survival mode. :D

DSCN2844.JPG

Couple minutes after the ride, hot and tired Gina. She said she looks beat in this pic. I told her that I think these are the best ones!

DSCN2856.JPG

Ah yes, chocolate frozen yogurt with Captain Crunch, almost a smile!

DSCN2859.JPG

Been the AC for a while now and my leg is still dripping with sweat.

DSCN2860.JPG

Gina's hot sweaty back and hair. She hates her braid laying on her back when it's hot, poor girl ha ha!

DSCN2863.JPG

40 miles today at 16.6 average speed. Started out solo and man it was freaking hot. My warm up section was 7 miles and at the end of the warm up, it was already 99 degrees. I headed back to the coast and being inland, it was frying. Instead of getting cooler, seemed it was getting warmer. 17 miles it, it was 102!

I pressed on but my legs felt fatigued and I was literally battered from removing and installing a new faucet. Hey, searched labor prices in our area, remove and replace $275. I did it for a couple of enchiladas ha ha! But trying to fit a big body in little places is tough. My back felt bruised from laying on wood edges, hands scraped and cut but hey, saved a bundle and it came out nice. I felt it on the bike today.

But I think I was feeling the heat. But luckily I ran into a friend at the park who does only 20 mile rides and just starting he was fresh. I really didn't want to ride with him as he does short rides but at a fast pace and I knew I was cooked today. But he said he rode yesterday so today he planned to go easy. OK, he did, nice tow for 10 miles to the beach.

But then at the coast, ran into another friend Rheo. This guy is the fastest guy I have ever seen on a bike in reality, no tv or tdf videos. So he wanted to ride back with us and I knew I was screwed ha ha!

But I actually did pretty well. 10 mile return segment at 20.5 and a 7.5 mile segment in their at 23 mph. Rheo pulled most of the way and I just held on. I wasn't about to try and help today. I told them if I dropped, go ahead without me. But I held on till the last 1/2 mile of my bud's end of ride. He had taken the front for about a mile and picked it up. I couldn't hang so I dropped back. Rheo was doing 60 so I think he was a bit slower today and not on his aero style TT bike.

He looked back when I dropped and actually slowed a bit. I was shocked as he rarely waits for anyone. So I gave it a hard push to catch back up figuring I could recover if I get on his wheel. But instead we ride side by side and actually catch my buddy Joaquin before his turn off. But Rheo has to refill his water at the park. But here we still have 2.5 miles back to our parking area. I see Rheo fly down the pathway to the water fountain. Uh oh! I think he's going to refill then try to catch me as I skipped the park wanting to get out of the heat ha ha! So he turned off and I stepped on it, as much as I could. Along the final 2.5, my speed was 21 most of the way and a section at 19 for about 1/4 mile. So I did well and as much as I expected Rheo to catch me, he didn't. Not sure if he was tired, or maybe didn't try at all ha ha! But either way, a good workout pushing hard when you don't think you can. Like Phil Ligget (?) says, you need to learn how to suffer on the bike. :D

The faucet that kicked my butt!

faucet.jpg

7 mile warm up, already 99 degrees!

DSCN2865.JPG

Yes after the warm up, I was warm, maybe fried ha ha!

DSCN2867.JPG

****, I am in trouble. 2 speed demons, Rheo and Joaquin. We did a good pace back.

DSCN2881.JPG

Lots of people at the beach today.. Now, is that little hat supposed to provide shade?

DSCN2885d.JPG

40 miles today at 16.6 average speed. Started out solo and man it was freaking hot. My warm up section was 7 miles and at the end of the warm up, it was already 99 degrees. I headed back to the coast and being inland, it was frying. Instead of getting cooler, seemed it was getting warmer. 17 miles it, it was 102!

I pressed on but my legs felt fatigued and I was literally battered from removing and installing a new faucet. Hey, searched labor prices in our area, remove and replace $275. I did it for a couple of enchiladas ha ha! But trying to fit a big body in little places is tough. My back felt bruised from laying on wood edges, hands scraped and cut but hey, saved a bundle and it came out nice. I felt it on the bike today.

But I think I was feeling the heat. But luckily I ran into a friend at the park who does only 20 mile rides and just starting he was fresh. I really didn't want to ride with him as he does short rides but at a fast pace and I knew I was cooked today. But he said he rode yesterday so today he planned to go easy. OK, he did, nice tow for 10 miles to the beach.

But then at the coast, ran into another friend Rheo. This guy is the fastest guy I have ever seen on a bike in reality, no tv or tdf videos. So he wanted to ride back with us and I knew I was screwed ha ha!

But I actually did pretty well. 10 mile return segment at 20.5 and a 7.5 mile segment in their at 23 mph. Rheo pulled most of the way and I just held on. I wasn't about to try and help today. I told them if I dropped, go ahead without me. But I held on till the last 1/2 mile of my bud's end of ride. He had taken the front for about a mile and picked it up. I couldn't hang so I dropped back. Rheo was doing 60 so I think he was a bit slower today and not on his aero style TT bike.

He looked back when I dropped and actually slowed a bit. I was shocked as he rarely waits for anyone. So I gave it a hard push to catch back up figuring I could recover if I get on his wheel. But instead we ride side by side and actually catch my buddy Joaquin before his turn off. But Rheo has to refill his water at the park. But here we still have 2.5 miles back to our parking area. I see Rheo fly down the pathway to the water fountain. Uh oh! I think he's going to refill then try to catch me as I skipped the park wanting to get out of the heat ha ha! So he turned off and I stepped on it, as much as I could. Along the final 2.5, my speed was 21 most of the way and a section at 19 for about 1/4 mile. So I did well and as much as I expected Rheo to catch me, he didn't. Not sure if he was tired, or maybe didn't try at all ha ha! But either way, a good workout pushing hard when you don't think you can. Like Phil Ligget (?) says, you need to learn how to suffer on the bike. :D

The faucet that kicked my butt!

View attachment 4690
7 mile warm up, already 99 degrees!

View attachment 4691

Yes after the warm up, I was warm, maybe fried ha ha!

View attachment 4692

****, I am in trouble. 2 speed demons, Rheo and Joaquin. We did a good pace back.

View attachment 4693

Lots of people at the beach today.. Now, is that little hat supposed to provide shade?

View attachment 4694

Hey I was sore for a few days after changing my faucet, nearly killed myself getting in and out of that tiny space. My back is bad as it is and that didn't help. My moto when racing was is pain is delicious, and just learn to embrace the pain. At least the hat will give shade to half of her.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Hey I was sore for a few days after changing my faucet, nearly killed myself getting in and out of that tiny space. My back is bad as it is and that didn't help. My moto when racing was is pain is delicious, and just learn to embrace the pain. At least the hat will give shade to half of her.

:D:p:D

Gina has this way of making skip a Sunday morning ride ha ha! So we skipped the day thinking it was going to be too hot and took the opportunity to walk around the dept store for a little cool relaxing stretch. And I like looking at stuff ha ha! Gina says she promises she'll ride on Sunday.

118358018_4446326738773123_7745768420111205609_n.jpg

But Wed nite, I rode around the industrial center doing a few intervals. I actually created my own segment for the first time in my life ha ha! A short section on the back side of the segment that already exists. The existing segment in that area is a 2.5% downhill sprint where I can hit 30+. Heck, everybody is fast on the downhill. But that is too easy so I used the opposite side where in an all out effort, I can only hold 21 for about 40 seconds. Not too long but enough to make you want to puke ha ha!

OK, this is my face after a hard effort! :D

DSCN2891.JPG

No hands cruising after a hard effort trying to catch my breath!

DSCN2890.JPG

I must have been doing about 55 in the pic. OK, maybe more like 3 MPH! :D

DSCN2895.JPG

Nice easy 10 miler tonight at 13.7 speed. Working out the bugs in the legs and relaxing. Prepping for a longer ride on the weekend. Looking for a solo 50 miler if it ain't too hot! :confused:

Got my Halloween colors on! :D

DSCN2896.JPG
DSCN2904.JPG

Solo 50 miler at 17.1 average speed. I set out to do 43 at 17.0 but ended up with a little more so I'm good with that.

At one point, I ran into a guy on a recumbent. I told him I wanted to ride solo so that I could gauge my own effort today. He didn't seem to understand. But the annoying part is that he kept trying to talk to me over 6 miles or so. I didn't respond after a couple of comments so he ended up having a conversation with himself. One thing he kept repeating was that he was out of shape and unable to help me out. Uh, I guess he didn't get it, I didn't want any help. So he sat behind me for 9 miles hacking up and coughing before he dropped off. I only had the final 3 miles of my 50 till the end of my ride so I tried to pick it up to make sure he didn't resurface ha ha! Some people are so annoying!

Rode my old 1997/1998 bike, still love this bike!

DSCN2907.JPG

Finished about 2 PM, happy topping my goal for today!

DSCN2912.JPG

Nobody at all around when I finished. Had the trail to myself!

DSCN2916.JPG

My 3rd Charge Spoon saddle purchase in about 2 months. Love this thing and for $24 ?

DSCN2921.JPG

Oooo scary! :D

DSCN2922.JPG

26 miles at 16.4 average speed. Supposed to be a nice short easy ride with Gina but had to work today ha ha! So who ordered the wind? Found myself doing 14 on the way to the coast today in a couple of sections. Better pick this up, but hard to hold 15.5 at times. Then turned around heading back and the wind almost seemed to feel the same. I know it wasn't but man, still had to work to keep 17-18 just to bring the average up. I was hoping for an easy 16.0 today with Gina but had to work some and with a 16.4, I'm happy with it.

Smiling early in the ride before hitting the windy sections ha ha!

DSCN2924A.JPG

Couple of our rich friends who can afford Colnagos. :D

DSCN2928-600.JPG

Gina's break away!

DSCN2936D.JPG

Done!

DSCN2940E.JPG

After the ride, said she was hot and tired. But overall a nice beautiful day and not too hot!

DSCN2943F-400.JPG

Well, Monday and Tues were work on the car days. Replaced a various something valve and a mass air flow sensor, as well as the air filter. Not a hard job, just took some time and chasing down parts for my Mom's car. But saved a ton on labor charges. Playing IT guy, plumber and auto mechanic sure takes it out of you at times.

But I managed a Wed night ride. 16 miles at 15.4 average speed. Got in about 4 good hard efforts. Amazing how an effort just under a minute can make you want to puke ha ha! But set a PR here and there with hard efforts on the segments.

My tri color reflector ankle band! And MTB shoes. :D

DSCN2947.JPG

The cool blue light mount hardware.

DSCN2953.JPG

Trying out the little seat stay mount provided with my recent red blinkie purchase. Seems pretty stable. I usually carry this on the bag reflector strap but that is how I lost the other one. Lousy bag strap though so this is also a new small bag for local rides and another slightly larger for longer rides with GOOD reflector straps to avoid losing another. This is the newest red light, wow it is bright!

DSCN2956.JPG

The face about 30 seconds after a one minute all out interval ha ha! The I want to puke face! :D

DSCN2958.JPG