Did You Ride Today?

Digital and TVC (Television Promotional) commercials are successful marketing tools that attract consumers in many ways. By using tailored content on websites and social media platforms, digital advertisements make the most of the internet's wide audience and engage visitors. For perfect effect, they frequently include interactive components and specific audience targeting.

Conversely, TVC advertisements make use of the persuasion power of television to spread messages to a broad audience. TVC advertisements have the power to become cultural phenomena thanks to their inventive storytelling, images, and audio.

Modern advertising includes both internet and TV commercials, and each has its own advantages for reaching and swaying people in the complex media environment of today.

56 miles today on the same route, up from the 37 to 40 miles I've been doing tor the last several weeks from strength training. Simply went deeper in to the mountains. Climbing almost doubled from 2,200 ft to 4,000 ft.

I was fast initially and beat my time on the 40 miler portion of the route. But headache and nausea started affecting my performance and really slowed me down. I had throbbing headaches the night before and still bad this morning and running into some bumps triggered lots of pain.

Also experienced brake malfunction during ride I didn't bothered to fix. Front brake was sticking and kept the pads squeezing the rotors slowing me down even more. Don't know how long I had the brake stuck but I managed to unstuck it by squeezing the lever multiple times until it unstuck. The bent rear hub had the worst rub on this ride too. The rub comes and goes and hopefully, it goes away on the next ride.

But other than these misfortunes, I saw for myself strength straining provided the biggest boost in performance I had in months.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Trying to find a way to make videos again as my good stuff is still locked up in storage. This with an old laptop and cheap free download program for old computers.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://youtu.be/XjkBC2AZg0Q?si=AZZ5vMLD47uEUusT

What a lovely couple you and Gina together!

For a moment I thought you are carrying an old laptop to take your video. My mind's not as sharp these days.

What a lovely couple you and Gina together!

For a moment I thought you are carrying an old laptop to take your video. My mind's not as sharp these days.
Ha ha ha! One scene, second one I think, we were walking through the mall and I had the case open under my arm. Black case with orange lining inside. I used this camera case to carry my two go pro recorders and accessories.

But we're walking and I see it in the video but can't make it out thinking Gina was holding onto my arm. I was thinking she had a really big hand.:D

Finally a couple hours later I realized it was the open case under my arm with the top open showing the orange color inside. :D

• Haha
Reactions: cobbwheels
Ha ha ha! One scene, second one I think, we were walking through the mall and I had the case open under my arm. Black case with orange lining inside. I used this camera case to carry my two go pro recorders and accessories.

But we're walking and I see it in the video but can't make it out thinking Gina was holding onto my arm. I was thinking she had a really big hand.:D

Finally a couple hours later I realized it was the open case under my arm with the top open showing the orange color inside. :D

Those moments! Would have freaked me out. My mom always holds onto my arm when we're walking outside.

41 miles today 2,400 climbing. I wore my loose 6 pocket cotton shorts on this ride. Too excited to change shorts!:D Definitely the wrong shorts to wear on a long ride in the heat but it actually went fine. No issues at all. Did not slow me down too.

Strength training have also changed my riding posture and pedaling technique. I'm sitting at the nose more often and for longer now. I'm thinking of putting back my TT saddle on the bike because it's the better saddle for sitting at the nose.

Solo 20 miles Wednesday night. First video in a long while. :D

View: https://youtu.be/NbvPoKVhOug?si=_TSB7N2WzxB5c0T5
Nice video. Not your usual route Did you mount the camera on the handlebar?

I'm not a big fan of night riding. We have a lot of "nut busters" on the road. Asphalt that have gone soft in the summer forming permanent wave-like shapes. They don't look so obvious in the night even with a bright headlight. Because you didn't see them, you didn't bothered to get off the saddle and the thing busts your nuts!

I did around 35 miles today, in the crit circuit, relatively flat and only around 500 ft elevation gained. It was 100 F heat index with 70 to 80% humidity when I hit the road in the morning. Relatively few cyclists in the circuit probably from the heat but I had to go out to see how much I've improved from strength training. The whole legs and lower back are still sore from strength training but the soreness went away during this ride. Twice already this happened. I thought it's weird because these aren't easy rides with many intervals at FTP. I thought I'm going to regret it going out with sore muscles but I came back with the soreness gone. Tired but no longer sore.

Nice video. Not your usual route Did you mount the camera on the handlebar?

I'm not a big fan of night riding. We have a lot of "nut busters" on the road. Asphalt that have gone soft in the summer forming permanent wave-like shapes. They don't look so obvious in the night even with a bright headlight. Because you didn't see them, you didn't bothered to get off the saddle and the thing busts your nuts!

I did around 35 miles today, in the crit circuit, relatively flat and only around 500 ft elevation gained. It was 100 F heat index with 70 to 80% humidity when I hit the road in the morning. Relatively few cyclists in the circuit probably from the heat but I had to go out to see how much I've improved from strength training. The whole legs and lower back are still sore from strength training but the soreness went away during this ride. Twice already this happened. I thought it's weird because these aren't easy rides with many intervals at FTP. I thought I'm going to regret it going out with sore muscles but I came back with the soreness gone. Tired but no longer sore.

Thanks! My night rides are through the city on streets. My weekend rides are mostly on the trails. One of two trails, Santa Ana River Trail or San Gabriel River Trail. Both run north and south to the beach running parallel about 10 miles apart.

My night rides are on the same roads mostly with one or two different streets at times.

Strangely enough, I enjoy riding at night much more. I finish up about 8:30 pm but wish I could keep riding through the night. I usually get 20 miles on night rides.

Love riding at night but I choose good roads so I don't encounter those nut busters. :D

We have tons of roads so I choose the better ones. Have been on a few bad ones but I have plenty of alternates so avoiding the bad ones is easy.

Thanks! My night rides are through the city on streets. My weekend rides are mostly on the trails. One of two trails, Santa Ana River Trail or San Gabriel River Trail. Both run north and south to the beach running parallel about 10 miles apart.

My night rides are on the same roads mostly with one or two different streets at times.

Strangely enough, I enjoy riding at night much more. I finish up about 8:30 pm but wish I could keep riding through the night. I usually get 20 miles on night rides.

Love riding at night but I choose good roads so I don't encounter those nut busters. :D

We have tons of roads so I choose the better ones. Have been on a few bad ones but I have plenty of alternates so avoiding the bad ones is easy.

Our only choice of roads are bad, worse, and worst! Even the lanes for vehicles are terrible, better than the bike lanes but still terrible. They can also bust a teeth if your mouth is partially open when you go over them and did not get out of the saddle. The last time we had tolerable quality roads was in the 90's then things kind of went downhill from there. Increasingly corrupt succeeding generations of government officials I suppose.

If I ride in daylight, I can see these nut busters and get out of the saddle.

If conditions are ideal, I could start my morning rides much earlier like 3 to 4 am where it's still dark and avoid heavy traffic on Saturdays, high temperatures during summer, and headwinds altogether. But it's just a minor inconvenience not able to. I do like heading out later in the morning at 5:30 am so there's be way more cyclists on the road.

Solo 46 today. Santa Ana trail. Never cross streets which is nice. Shown I video. Tried keeping my hr at about 145. My max is 160. So glad I was in good zones for 80 percent of my ride.
View: https://youtu.be/unORc5LOGck?si=TEjWPoBtKCaky5Ub

And it's nice when you get home to find your wife has replenished your electrolyte stash.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231014_154941_Active.jpg
    Screenshot_20231014_154941_Active.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231014_151922.jpg
    20231014_151922.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 9
Solo 46 today. Santa Ana trail. Never cross streets which is nice. Shown I video. Tried keeping my hr at about 145. My max is 160. So glad I was in good zones for 80 percent of my ride.
View: https://youtu.be/unORc5LOGck?si=TEjWPoBtKCaky5Ub

And it's nice when you get home to find your wife has replenished your electrolyte stash.

Nice indeed, I wouldn't mind riding that trail every Saturday. Might be nice with fat bike so you can explore the beach.

That doesn't look right. 140 HR is 88% of 160 bpm. 88% MHR is an effort sustainable for only few minutes at a time!o_O That would be like attempting to steal a KOM of a very steep 1 mile climb! It's going to feel awful afterwards. It feels even worse than a sprint because it's like the long version of a sprint.

I think your MHR is much higher. I think the traditional formula to calculate MHR does not apply to us who run or cycle long distances. Because at your age, an MHR of about 200 is still common among high mileage riders.

The formula gives me 178 bpm max. But in reality, my MHR is much closer to 210 bpm in a sprint while my resting HR is below 40 (at rest but conscious).

Nice indeed, I wouldn't mind riding that trail every Saturday. Might be nice with fat bike so you can explore the beach.

That doesn't look right. 140 HR is 88% of 160 bpm. 88% MHR is an effort sustainable for only few minutes at a time!o_O That would be like attempting to steal a KOM of a very steep 1 mile climb! It's going to feel awful afterwards. It feels even worse than a sprint because it's like the long version of a sprint.

I think your MHR is much higher. I think the traditional formula to calculate MHR does not apply to us who run or cycle long distances. Because at your age, an MHR of about 200 is still common among high mileage riders.

The formula gives me 178 bpm max. But in reality, my MHR is much closer to 210 bpm in a sprint while my resting HR is below 40 (at rest but conscious).

When I started with the hr monitor a month or two ago, I could hold 244 for only 30 percent of the ride. I read I should hold it for at least 50 percent of the ride so I've been concentrating on holding it for longer periods.

Been getting there fairly quickly but I think because I have a good base while cycling straight 26 years consistently.
Also just read marathon runners hold80 percent throughout their run. Also cyclists saying 85 percent is fairly normal for a cyclist to hold for an hour.

I did ride with a small get together ride with some guys from a shop. Small Filipino riders about 145 pounds. A top local racer and the shop owner who raced maybe my weight of 225 at the time. In the middle of the ride was a climb of 8 miles at 6 percent grade.

They all thought they were going to drop me on the climb. Top racer dude was the first to the top. The others we went back and forth for 5 miles. They were racers as well. I ended up dropping them and finishing 2nd on the climb. The top dude was telling me that I ought to race because not many guys my size can climb like that.

The store owner my buddy said I should get my vo2 tested because it was not normal for big guys to climb. He wanted to coach me as a racer but I was never that serious to devote that much time.

I did enter several climbing events 100 miles with 10k plus climbing and finished top 25 percent out of 400 climbers. Dod it 5 times over 10 years.
So I just figure I do well since I've always done really well in all sports throughout my life. But in the end, it's all for fun. :D

When I started with the hr monitor a month or two ago, I could hold 244 for only 30 percent of the ride. I read I should hold it for at least 50 percent of the ride so I've been concentrating on holding it for longer periods.

Been getting there fairly quickly but I think because I have a good base while cycling straight 26 years consistently.
Also just read marathon runners hold80 percent throughout their run. Also cyclists saying 85 percent is fairly normal for a cyclist to hold for an hour.

I did ride with a small get together ride with some guys from a shop. Small Filipino riders about 145 pounds. A top local racer and the shop owner who raced maybe my weight of 225 at the time. In the middle of the ride was a climb of 8 miles at 6 percent grade.

They all thought they were going to drop me on the climb. Top racer dude was the first to the top. The others we went back and forth for 5 miles. They were racers as well. I ended up dropping them and finishing 2nd on the climb. The top dude was telling me that I ought to race because not many guys my size can climb like that.

The store owner my buddy said I should get my vo2 tested because it was not normal for big guys to climb. He wanted to coach me as a racer but I was never that serious to devote that much time.

I did enter several climbing events 100 miles with 10k plus climbing and finished top 25 percent out of 400 climbers. Dod it 5 times over 10 years.
So I just figure I do well since I've always done really well in all sports throughout my life. But in the end, it's all for fun. :D

On some 5 zone tables, the 85% MHR is still tempo and the upper limit of Zone 3 (tempo) effort. They're terrible at consistency!

85% of my 210 MHR is 178.5 and I've held 180 bpm for more than 1 hour. But that was 2 years ago. It was really really hard trying to sustain such effort. Not so much in pain but it was very difficult to breathe.

I don't do such trainings anymore and try to stay around 70% MHR majority or 147 bpm, zone 2 effort. I do tempo or more but only for short intervals. Majority in Zone 2 (Polarized training structure)

Ironically, I've seen more overweight riders who can pace me on a long climb than skinny ones. That goes in your favor!:D

Personally, I found weight lifting made me a better all-rounder cyclist. Fast on both flats and climbs. Those deadlifts improved my flexibility and enabled me to assume more aerodynamic riding postures but more importantly, gave stronger support via strong core muscles.

On some 5 zone tables, the 85% MHR is still tempo and the upper limit of Zone 3 (tempo) effort. They're terrible at consistency!

85% of my 210 MHR is 178.5 and I've held 180 bpm for more than 1 hour. But that was 2 years ago. It was really really hard trying to sustain such effort. Not so much in pain but it was very difficult to breathe.

I don't do such trainings anymore and try to stay around 70% MHR majority or 147 bpm, zone 2 effort. I do tempo or more but only for short intervals. Majority in Zone 2 (Polarized training structure)

Ironically, I've seen more overweight riders who can pace me on a long climb than skinny ones. That goes in your favor!:D

Personally, I found weight lifting made me a better all-rounder cyclist. Fast on both flats and climbs. Those deadlifts improved my flexibility and enabled me to assume more aerodynamic riding postures but more importantly, gave stronger support via strong core muscles.

I ran into a cycling buddy on today's ride. He says the same thing, I might need to reestablish the max hr. I'm 60 so should be 160 but pretty sure that's a ballpark starting point. I'll have to look up how to find the exact.

But either way, I am carrying better efforts into recent rides by tracking hr. For instance, I rode easy today. Don't think I barely hit over 130.

I'm happy though, 60 and I can still hold a good pace for a bit. :D

I ran into a cycling buddy on today's ride. He says the same thing, I might need to reestablish the max hr. I'm 60 so should be 160 but pretty sure that's a ballpark starting point. I'll have to look up how to find the exact.

But either way, I am carrying better efforts into recent rides by tracking hr. For instance, I rode easy today. Don't think I barely hit over 130.

I'm happy though, 60 and I can still hold a good pace for a bit. :D

Where does your 147 HR falls under "How it feels/talk test" in the table below?

From the table you can extrapolate your max possible HR at "level 6: Anaerobic capacity"

If for example, it fell under Level 2. It gives you 147 x 120% "HR at level 6" / 83% "HR at level 2" and the result of your max possible HR is 212.5 bpm. You may not be able to reach that MHR yet but easing yourself into sprint training, your sprint power output should progressively increase over the course of weeks and so does your MHR! For safety's sake, I prefer doing sprint training on the stationary bike indoors or up a steep climb. A chain snapping while sprinting in the flats or downhill can quickly lead to a crash at high speed.

An MHR of >200 is still fairly common among 60 year old cyclists.

Level% FTP% HRRPEHow it feels/talk test
Level 1: Active Recovery<55%<68%2-3Very easy. A brisk walk or very easy pedaling. You can easily hold a conversation.
Level 2: Endurance55-75%69-83%4-6Easy to moderate. You can ride all day here. You can hold a conversation, but you can’t sing a song.
Level 3: Tempo76-87%84-94%7Moderate to comfortably hard. You can speak sentences but may need breaks.
Level 3.5: Sweet Spot88-94%84-94%7.5Comfortably hard. You speak short a short sentence but may need breaks.
Level 4: Threshold95%-105%91-105%8Hard. Your breathing is heavy. You can say a couple of words at a time, but you need a good reason to.
Level 5: VO2Max106-120%106-120%9Uncomfortably Hard. In the talk test, most words you say sounds like @#$%.
Level 6: Anaerobic Capacity>120%>121%10All-Out. In the talk test, you don't have any energy to spare on words.
Level 7: Neuromuscular Power>150%N/A!!Even more all-out. In the talk test, you don't have time to talk.

Where does your 147 HR falls under "How it feels/talk test" in the table below?

From the table you can extrapolate your max possible HR at "level 6: Anaerobic capacity"

If for example, it fell under Level 2. It gives you 147 x 120% "HR at level 6" / 83% "HR at level 2" and the result of your max possible HR is 212.5 bpm. You may not be able to reach that MHR yet but easing yourself into sprint training, your sprint power output should progressively increase over the course of weeks and so does your MHR! For safety's sake, I prefer doing sprint training on the stationary bike indoors or up a steep climb. A chain snapping while sprinting in the flats or downhill can quickly lead to a crash at high speed.

An MHR of >200 is still fairly common among 60 year old cyclists.

Level% FTP% HRRPEHow it feels/talk test
Level 1: Active Recovery<55%<68%2-3Very easy. A brisk walk or very easy pedaling. You can easily hold a conversation.
Level 2: Endurance55-75%69-83%4-6Easy to moderate. You can ride all day here. You can hold a conversation, but you can’t sing a song.
Level 3: Tempo76-87%84-94%7Moderate to comfortably hard. You can speak sentences but may need breaks.
Level 3.5: Sweet Spot88-94%84-94%7.5Comfortably hard. You speak short a short sentence but may need breaks.
Level 4: Threshold95%-105%91-105%8Hard. Your breathing is heavy. You can say a couple of words at a time, but you need a good reason to.
Level 5: VO2Max106-120%106-120%9Uncomfortably Hard. In the talk test, most words you say sounds like @#$%.
Level 6: Anaerobic Capacity>120%>121%10All-Out. In the talk test, you don't have any energy to spare on words.
Level 7: Neuromuscular Power>150%N/A!!Even more all-out. In the talk test, you don't have time to talk.

I would fall in the 3.5 category but my math is not working out. Guess I don't understand the instructions because my max can't be 115. :D

I would fall in the 3.5 category but my math is not working out. Guess I don't understand the instructions because my max can't be 115. :D

Your max would be 187.66:D It may sound high but I think you are still capable of ~200 with sprint training. Just don't train on your bike, better and safer on the gym on the stationary bike.

I think the max HR is more a factor of your heart's "fitness age" not your actual "biological age". Your doctor can tell your heart's fitness age.

Your max would be 187.66:D It may sound high but I think you are still capable of ~200 with sprint training. Just don't train on your bike, better and safer on the gym on the stationary bike.

I think the max HR is more a factor of your heart's "fitness age" not your actual "biological age". Your doctor can tell your heart's fitness age.

Ah thanks. I have hit 177 that I've seen at my highest recently. Seems to be going up little by little now that I'm monitoring it.

But honestly, I won't work on my sprint. Never really needed to. I've had guys tell me that I should but even without a sprint, they struggle to keep up when I'm keeping a good pace.

If I were racing, I would do on a trainer like I did years ago working on intervals.

Heck, I tried a few times on the trail and could hear my front wheel and bottom bracket in distress. That was in 2005 I decided any sprints would be seated. No stand and crank stuff.

And my seated sprint without side to side motions, were very controlled and hitting 32 mph on a verified flat section told me I don't really need to go faster since I'm not racing. :D