Did You Ride Today?

Shhh. Im going to celebrate a year sober early 2024 !
Had marinated for in it 3-4 decades. Is just no longer a fit.

Been there , did that. I don't need to age with the liquor anymore. Encouraging to see these comments from others.

I chatted with a dude after the ride in the parking lot. Nice bike, was jazzed about his 4th year cycling at age 50. He said his buddy invited him on a road ride borrowing a bike. Said he loved it so much that he gave up drinking because it affected his rides. Noticed about a month after he started. He said the bike made him feel so good that he knew he had to give up drinking and feels much better in general.

Another hear what I sound like video. :D

The solo 35 the day after the Christmas party .

Short music video towards the end. First time I've used music in over 2 years.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://youtu.be/aCPRLb5R3Mo?si=fqJvu0fGtGwxU9NE

As a competitive club runner I could agree on all counts.

Can get out of cars way easier , near zero equipt cost .

And the detachment from self ,from pain you can allow in running
whereas the cyclist must be more keenly aware every moment .

But hard to be competitive at both sports same season.
Running you can stand out if you have talent. Cycling I feel like another fly on the wall .

The running races cost way less and take less time. And allow for place on podium way more easily.

You're right about the much cheaper cost, particularly of equipment. Like I've been using a $2 minimalist shoe for training. It's actually the same shoes I've always used for cycling.

Yup, running's is immensely less stressful than cycling, especially where I'm riding and rain is not a problem.

But I still cannot give up cycling. On weekends, I'm doing much longer runs, I ride my bike as a finishing workout to relax my muscles and recover. I realized now, cycling is much lighter compared to running. Running at marathon pace gets my HR to 170 (tempo) while cycling only gets me 140 BPM average.

Anyway, how are things? It's been a while since your last post!

Last edited:
Another hear what I sound like video. :D

The solo 35 the day after the Christmas party .

Short music video towards the end. First time I've used music in over 2 years.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://youtu.be/aCPRLb5R3Mo?si=fqJvu0fGtGwxU9NE

Love the Vietnam War era music! Quite envious of your bike route. My average speed in there would probably be boosted 2x than where I'm riding!

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Yup, running's is immensely less stressful than cycling, especially where I'm riding and rain is not a problem.

But I still cannot give up cycling. On weekends, I'm doing much longer runs, I ride my bike as a finishing workout to relax my muscles and recover. I realized now, cycling is much lighter compared to running. Running at marathon pace gets my HR to 170 (tempo) while cycling only gets me 140 BPM average.

Anyway, how are things? It's been a while since your last post!
Things are EPIC. Healing up fast I got in my first run last night just under 2 miles.
( on the treadmill which I always barefoot )
Dropped a 9:00 mile and a couple slower 10:00's basically a big zone 2 workout. i was falling asleep during. I like a minimalist running shoe as well for the street .
Trail runs a different story. depends on that trail and condition .

Cycling is my first and greatest love , but I suck at it. Slow as molasses.

Hate running but seem to have a knack for it.

Ran a report on last year and year before
running being 140avg HR and cycling 120avg HR. Well I tried!

Things are EPIC. Healing up fast I got in my first run last night just under 2 miles.
( on the treadmill which I always barefoot )
Dropped a 9:00 mile and a couple slower 10:00's basically a big zone 2 workout. i was falling asleep during. I like a minimalist running shoe as well for the street .
Trail runs a different story. depends on that trail and condition .

Cycling is my first and greatest love , but I suck at it. Slow as molasses.

Hate running but seem to have a knack for it.

Ran a report on last year and year before
running being 140avg HR and cycling 120avg HR. Well I tried!

If you can run that pace in zone 2, and 140 HR, you're definitely doing way better than me!

I think I like running atm more than cycling despite being slow and more painful to my legs for now (I haven't adapted to running yet and probably take months for that to happen).

Simply because my cycling environment is horrid and quite stressful compared to my running environment. My running environment has zero stress and the quality of the running parks is nearly as good as those in USA.

I wouldn't n
Love the Vietnam War era music! Quite envious of your bike route. My average speed in there would probably be boosted 2x than where I'm riding!

I wouldn't be so sure about 2x faster. The other trail allows me a 17 average speed

This one is a constant grade up. The damn dam climb 11% and he rest not very steep but nearly 1k in 16 miles, sure feels like 3k.

The downhill, always windy AF. I always think I'm going to do an easy 17 downhill but usually 14 with the wind. It ain't fair! :D

I do the section going up to the mountains. I see about 5 other riders up there most times. This is the upper 16 miles.

Now the lower section from where I start, most riders head to the beach and back at a faster rate.

I've done 17 to the beach and back on this trail as well.

But the upper section in the video, I struggle to do a 15 average. :D
The profile.

Screenshot_20231220_144813_Active.jpg

Reactions: cobbwheels
I might have an error in my post on the numbers. Been really sleep deprived brain fog.
Have to review that it doesn't sound right. (!)

I've managed to drop my running HR to under 160. Upper limit of my zone 2 with the smallest stride possible barely lifting both feet off the ground it almost looks like I'm walking but with very fast cadence.

Running seems to be improving my cycling performance at the Zone 2 / 3 boundary. I'm unable to do it in cycling alone probably because cycling allows me to be "lazy" while running forces me at the upper limit of zone 2 at least, helping me get used to Z 2~3 effort.

I wouldn't n

I wouldn't be so sure about 2x faster. The other trail allows me a 17 average speed

This one is a constant grade up. The damn dam climb 11% and he rest not very steep but nearly 1k in 16 miles, sure feels like 3k.

The downhill, always windy AF. I always think I'm going to do an easy 17 downhill but usually 14 with the wind. It ain't fair! :D

I do the section going up to the mountains. I see about 5 other riders up there most times. This is the upper 16 miles.

Now the lower section from where I start, most riders head to the beach and back at a faster rate.

I've done 17 to the beach and back on this trail as well.

But the upper section in the video, I struggle to do a 15 average. :D
The profile.

That's impressive with the headwinds!

The best I did in my 70 mile non-stop route with 5,500 ft total climbing is 14.5 mph in no-wind condition (early morning summer this year) despite lots of braking and coasting / slowing down for traffic and peds and very bumpy sections of the road. Lots of this heavy braking occurs in the downhill portion due to heavy traffic and lots of pedestrians wasting lots of energy/momentum.

In less ideal conditions (even heavier traffic and headwinds both ways), my average would be ~11 mph which is really pathetic (why I don't talk about my average speed so often!).

My 2x claim is based on my 11 mph less than ideal condition average speed. If I used my bike in the same urban commuter configuration and clothes I've been using and ride your path, I think I can do 19 mph average speed. I've done this on the last 10 miles of my 70 mile route in flat sections in better traffic conditions within Zone 2 heart rate. In more aerodynamic configuration (I don't feel safe doing this in our roads but in your path, I can do aero without worries), removing the fenders, racks, wearing tighter clothes and putting on faster tires like Ultrasport III would probably boost me to 22 mph average speed without drafting.

That's impressive with the headwinds!

The best I did in my 70 mile non-stop route with 5,500 ft total climbing is 14.5 mph in no-wind condition (early morning summer this year) despite lots of braking and coasting / slowing down for traffic and peds and very bumpy sections of the road. Lots of this heavy braking occurs in the downhill portion due to heavy traffic and lots of pedestrians wasting lots of energy/momentum.

In less ideal conditions (even heavier traffic and headwinds both ways), my average would be ~11 mph which is really pathetic (why I don't talk about my average speed so often!).

My 2x claim is based on my 11 mph less than ideal condition average speed. If I used my bike in the same urban commuter configuration and clothes I've been using and ride your path, I think I can do 19 mph average speed. I've done this on the last 10 miles of my 70 mile route in flat sections in better traffic conditions within Zone 2 heart rate. In more aerodynamic configuration (I don't feel safe doing this in our roads but in your path, I can do aero without worries), removing the fenders, racks, wearing tighter clothes and putting on faster tires like Ultrasport III would probably boost me to 22 mph average speed without drafting.

I did fail to factor in your bad road conditions so you would have a far better average on this trail.

The really fast guys do about 18 on this trail. On the other trail they would probably do about 21.

11 sounds bad but honestly, depending on the course it can be good. I road with a group of 25 on the road. Lots of stops and short rolling inclines. I finished about 4th in the group out of 25 with a 12 mph average. :D

Reactions: cobbwheels
You might have told me before . What's the name of that road ? I'd like to ride that next visit down there.

This one is the San Gabriel River Trail. From Azusa mountains to Seal Beach and back is 75 miles round trip total distance. A bit isolated and a little beat in some areas towards the coast.

The other trail I rode mostly over last 25 years is the Santa Ana River Trail. From Corona to Huntington Beach. 60 miles total round trip. Much nicer trail and more to see along the way. Angel stadium, Honda Center and nicer landscape. We moved from the area closer to the other trail so kind of sucks.

If one throws in a 10 mile stretch along Pacific Coast highway, the two can be connected for an easy hundred miles.

I did fail to factor in your bad road conditions so you would have a far better average on this trail.

The really fast guys do about 18 on this trail. On the other trail they would probably do about 21.

11 sounds bad but honestly, depending on the course it can be good. I road with a group of 25 on the road. Lots of stops and short rolling inclines. I finished about 4th in the group out of 25 with a 12 mph average. :D

I think the total time I spend fully stopped is around 5 minutes. Most of them from traffic stops and the rest when there's nowhere else to go when filtering through stopped traffic and from crossing peds.

There's also lots of slow traffic filtering <10 mph on the long downhill portion of the route where I could be doing >35 mph in ideal conditions.

At the upper limit of Zone 2 HR, my speed on the flats would be 19 to 20 mph and strava would be showing I'm doing >230 watts of power. However, Strava may not be accounting for the large drag of my setup. When I plugin that number and my weight to bike calculators but with standard (better) road bike equipment, it gives me a speed of 22 to 23 mph.

My calculated VO2max this year peaked at a level that is better than some of the dope-fueled maniacs in TDF! It has gone down atm because my rest heart rate has increased by 10 pts due to adding weight lifting and running in my workouts and stopped doing sprint intervals. I've restarted sprint intervals again but doing it running.

Last edited:
Just a couple miles commute ride today to the park to run. Ran one hour on the park and then got back home and did another 1.5 hr multiple laps on the stairwell of our apartment. Total elevation gain of almost 2,000' in 1.5 hrs and could have been faster if I didn't have to run back down each lap. Not my biggest altitude gain on foot but certainly the fastest.

I was tempted to do 1 hr laps in the bike but didn't wear my "armor" and so skipped it. My bike "armor" is knee pads and elbow pads (the helmet is default equipment). With collisions in heavy traffic fairly common and sometimes falling down and crashing, the armor have proven its worth. Not even a road rash! Still not confidence-inspiring.

Most of the collisions I got involved in is when a car or motorcycle tried to pass a slower vehicle by swerving into the bike lane with me right next to swerving vehicle. Only in the Philippines! It's rather difficult to dodge fast closing vehicles from behind coming out of heavy traffic. You don't usually notice them even with rear view mirror until they have swerved into you.

Ironically, the scenario is present in our driver's license renewal exam. "If you're turning right into a driveway on a road with a bike lane and an SUV is passing you on your right on the bike lane, what will you do?". The police are definitely aware that motorists are using bike lanes as passing lanes. Doesn't just happen once in a while but all the time.:confused: