Did You Ride Today?

Short Sunday Christmas eve morning ride. My WHAT KIND OF WIFE IS THIS? Tour. :D

She sees I'm down to my last 10 packets of electrolytes so when I return home, she's picked up another 54. And that's after Fondue Date Night. :D
20231224_121955.jpg
20231224_112403.jpg
20231224_093415.jpg
20231223_194826.jpg
20231223_194056.jpg

Reactions: cobbwheels
Since y'all know I can't ride , I'll share my run in the rain with 4legs.
Gotta keep my cardio and my legs warmed up .

Love a good medium -pace run. Out of the hole 8:02 pace brough me right up 147HR and avg 122BPM. tapered off to finish with 9:40 avg pace. Not too terrible for an old guy 24 days post op.

Got a naturally high cadence 188 to 220 on this one.
C259865A-B6BF-43B3-BC66-36CA362E185C_4_5005_c.jpeg
11F50DD5-FA86-4D17-B2C7-DFAD9DBFF0C4_4_5005_c.jpeg

Love a good medium -pace run. Out of the hole 8:02 pace brough me right up 147HR and avg 122BPM. tapered off to finish with 9:40 avg pace. Not too terrible for an old guy 24 days post op.

View attachment 6943View attachment 6945

Exercise is good! :D

Have you thought of using those wide, "noseless", "therapeutic saddles" if you can't wait to ride your bike anymore?

I have virtually quit on recreational cycling. Probably a "mistake" taking up running. Initially, it was only supposed to be a workout to strengthen my bones. I did not expect to like it but I did. I still like cycling more than running but cycling is just way to dangerous where I live. I'm taking care of my old mum and I can't afford to have major accidents.

I would still be a commuter cyclist because it's still the cheapest way for me to get around and be able to carry some load like groceries - can't do that with running. Running with a big backpack of groceries even if you could just looks weird and ridiculous and can't do that with eggs and glass jars.

That is still pushing down with the legs with your pelvis arrested. No good for now , but 4 weeks to go . Naw I like it real thin in between my thighs. Just running to keep cardio for the bike. I can wait to ride , watching GCN to stoke the fire.

Yes impossible to run with just about anything being carried. I even hate the splash splash of the water belt or vest . Just carry a WB in hand at times , one made for running. hard to let go of it ( sticky)

I get it , the risk mitigation but there is always circumstance, chance ect. Anything can happen anywhere IMHO unexpected.

Hey there! I'm glad you enjoyed that. It's always important to stay hydrated, especially when engaging in physical activities like cycling. You never know how much electrolytes you might need, right? Stay safe and happy cycling! ‍♂️

Great job on starting the new year with a 24-mile ride! That's a fantastic way to stay active and kick off the year on a positive note. It's understandable that time constraints can sometimes limit the distance we'd like to cover, but the important thing is that you got out there and enjoyed your ride. Keep up the great work, and here's wishing you many more happy cycling adventures in the year ahead! ‍♂️

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
That is still pushing down with the legs with your pelvis arrested. No good for now , but 4 weeks to go . Naw I like it real thin in between my thighs. Just running to keep cardio for the bike. I can wait to ride , watching GCN to stoke the fire.

Yes impossible to run with just about anything being carried. I even hate the splash splash of the water belt or vest . Just carry a WB in hand at times , one made for running. hard to let go of it ( sticky)

I get it , the risk mitigation but there is always circumstance, chance ect. Anything can happen anywhere IMHO unexpected.

The chance becomes 100x more if there are 100x more vehicles on the road who are free to use the bike lane at any time (and often use it to pass other cars!). I think it's the stress that gets me. I already deal with lots of stress at home and hoping to de-stress on rides and I'm not getting it.

Fortunately, I didn't have to eat nor drink when running. A habit I carried over from cycling. The longest run I did so far is 2 hrs. The longest bike ride did without eating nor drinking fluids in 100 F temp is almost 6 hrs. 2 hrs running I'm not even thirsty, not even barely but my legs in great pain because I'm still new to running!

Anyway, I only did commute rides this week on my bike. I actually seem to be getting faster on my bike which I find interesting. Probably because my base training in running is at a higher heart rate. I'm trying to keep it within Zone 2.

Cycling is my first and greatest love , but I suck at it. Slow as molasses.

Hate running but seem to have a knack for it.

Been running for a while and I think I now know why.

"Powered Contractions" of leg muscles when running are shorter compared to cycling and I also read on another post of yours that your running cadence is really high.

So it would seem your legs are better adapted and thus, stronger and more efficient at shorter and faster muscle contractions.

How could you translate this to cycling? One solution is to use shorter crank length and opt for smaller set of gears to allow you to pedal at higher cadence. If end up trying this, you may keep your cassette but since you're getting a new shorter crankset, get one with smaller chain ring.

If you're using 170 mm crank length now, I would suggest getting 150 mm and raising your saddle by 20 mm to compensate. 165 mm crank length won't make a difference. You might feel an improvement with 165 but could be missing out the bigger improvement have you gone smaller.

Don't worry about losing leverage going with shorter crank. You're supposed to use higher cadence and thus, smaller gears with shorter crank, thus maintaining the leverage. If you're worried about maintaining high cadence with shorter cranks, don't. It's actually easy to hold high cadence with short cranks. Even higher than 100 rpm on a long cruise once you get used to it.

I used to have a BMX bike with 150 mm crank. And my only KOM ever was made with that bike. It was due to factors of lightness (the BMX was considerably lighter than my current workhorse) and the fact that I was able to sustain higher power output with shorter crank.

Like yourself, I may be a better runner than a cyclist because I did significantly better with 150mm crank.

No cycling this weekend for me. :D
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://youtu.be/MdxqFxB3z8s?si=ciCPpYtULX3xdkgk

Good one! If you're looking for some exercise for your legs, find a stairwell like the fire exit stairwell or any long stairs going up and down would do and do some laps. As I've shifted a huge volume of my base training to stairs now, I found that stairs training recruits about the same muscles for cycling. In fact, my cycling power improved a bit from doing nothing but stairs training and running.

Skipping steps like climbing the stairs two or more steps at a time would closer mimic pedaling muscle recruitment.

Glad to see there's no snow and some winnings! Still hot down here like 80 to 90F.

Good one! If you're looking for some exercise for your legs, find a stairwell like the fire exit stairwell or any long stairs going up and down would do and do some laps. As I've shifted a huge volume of my base training to stairs now, I found that stairs training recruits about the same muscles for cycling. In fact, my cycling power improved a bit from doing nothing but stairs training and running.

Skipping steps like climbing the stairs two or more steps at a time would closer mimic pedaling muscle recruitment.

Glad to see there's no snow and some winnings! Still hot down here like 80 to 90F.

Oh my gosh! I carry my camera back pack around all weekend when I go. Extra lenses and accessories I'd say it weighs about 25 pounds. I walk up and down the river path for the 2 1/2 days we're there. Day and night including flights of stairs. Sometimes 5 flights outside trying to get higher views with the camera.

The final night, I had to stop and sit down for 30 minutes to relax my legs. My thighs felt like noodles and calves felt like stone.

Happens every time we go. Last couple of nights at home, I'd lay on my back in bed. Felt like my calves were resting on rocks. Very sensitive and painful but it hurt so good. :D

Very good workout. Happens every time we go because I walk for hours and hours up and down, stairs carrying my back pack.

One can have good cycling legs but mix it up and one will feel it ha ha ha!

Attachments

• IMG_3737A.JPG
    IMG_3737A.JPG
    771.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3732B.jpg
    IMG_3732B.jpg
    695.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3731A.JPG
    IMG_3731A.JPG
    648.2 KB · Views: 1
Been running for a while and I think I now know why.

"Powered Contractions" of leg muscles when running are shorter compared to cycling and I also read on another post of yours that your running cadence is really high.

So it would seem your legs are better adapted and thus, stronger and more efficient at shorter and faster muscle contractions.

How could you translate this to cycling? One solution is to use shorter crank length and opt for smaller set of gears to allow you to pedal at higher cadence. If end up trying this, you may keep your cassette but since you're getting a new shorter crankset, get one with smaller chain ring.

If you're using 170 mm crank length now, I would suggest getting 150 mm and raising your saddle by 20 mm to compensate. 165 mm crank length won't make a difference. You might feel an improvement with 165 but could be missing out the bigger improvement have you gone smaller.

Don't worry about losing leverage going with shorter crank. You're supposed to use higher cadence and thus, smaller gears with shorter crank, thus maintaining the leverage. If you're worried about maintaining high cadence with shorter cranks, don't. It's actually easy to hold high cadence with short cranks. Even higher than 100 rpm on a long cruise once you get used to it.

I used to have a BMX bike with 150 mm crank. And my only KOM ever was made with that bike. It was due to factors of lightness (the BMX was considerably lighter than my current workhorse) and the fact that I was able to sustain higher power output with shorter crank.

Like yourself, I may be a better runner than a cyclist because I did significantly better with 150mm crank.
something to think about . Four bikes to buy cranks for !