Did You Ride Today?

Oh my gosh! I carry my camera back pack around all weekend when I go. Extra lenses and accessories I'd say it weighs about 25 pounds. I walk up and down the river path for the 2 1/2 days we're there. Day and night including flights of stairs. Sometimes 5 flights outside trying to get higher views with the camera.

The final night, I had to stop and sit down for 30 minutes to relax my legs. My thighs felt like noodles and calves felt like stone.

Happens every time we go. Last couple of nights at home, I'd lay on my back in bed. Felt like my calves were resting on rocks. Very sensitive and painful but it hurt so good. :D

Very good workout. Happens every time we go because I walk for hours and hours up and down, stairs carrying my back pack.

One can have good cycling legs but mix it up and one will feel it ha ha ha!

You're doing it right!

Same thing happened to my calves!:D It's less sore now as I'm finally adapting to the movements of running. At least I don't feel it anymore when running but still sore when I touch it!

Now I'm alternating high impact (running) with low impact cardio days. I'd rather NOT ride my bike on the low impact cardio days due to heavy traffic on weekdays all hours. I've been walking but still feels like high impact. So I might buy a cheap inline roller skates and learn how to skate on our rooftop.

Occasionally, I'm still going to do long bike rides but not more than 3 hrs anymore.

These new "member bots" are so annoying, they're bots right?

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
I believe so. All have the same format names and responses.
Almost believable responses. I think they're getting better.

Just 15 mile bike ride today. This was the longest ride I did in the last 3 weeks (most were under 6 mile commutes). I'm a little bit faster now despite most of my cardio being running and stairs. It seemed my aerobic threshold have improved to higher HR which is good from all running and stair laps. This also means I can now do base training at higher intensity.

What I did today was 1 hr running and walking and then the 15 mile bike ride, some errands and finally, a 3 mile run.

I might add another cardio for my workout. Found a pair of $15 inline skates and bought it. Will be my low impact cardio during the weekdays in addition to stairs IF I'm able to learn how to skate. I'll be skating while mom do some walking and light jogging on the roof deck of our apartment. Will be running during weekends only.

Solo 40 today. Around mile 25, passed a couple youngsters. One very skinny decked out in a race kit. 3 guys. A couple minutes later, the race dude passes me back. He gets about 40 yards ahead then begins to struggle. I end up passing him again.

A few minutes later, he and his buddy team up passing me again. They get about 40 yards again. Then they both fade and I catch up again. As I catch up, they say something then blast off. They get about 40 yards again and I figure I'll catch up again holding my pace.

As they get the 50 yards, they both pull off the road and lean over their bikes as if to puke. The race kit guy didn't look at me as I rolled by but the second guy did. He smiled and waved then I recognized him. Same thing a few weeks ago. He went in full bore about 10 miles then pulled off to turn back.

I'm guessing they're 10 mile wonder type of riders. :D

20240113_135422.jpg

Reactions: cobbwheels
Solo 40 today. Around mile 25, passed a couple youngsters. One very skinny decked out in a race kit. 3 guys. A couple minutes later, the race dude passes me back. He gets about 40 yards ahead then begins to struggle. I end up passing him again.

A few minutes later, he and his buddy team up passing me again. They get about 40 yards again. Then they both fade and I catch up again. As I catch up, they say something then blast off. They get about 40 yards again and I figure I'll catch up again holding my pace.

As they get the 50 yards, they both pull off the road and lean over their bikes as if to puke. The race kit guy didn't look at me as I rolled by but the second guy did. He smiled and waved then I recognized him. Same thing a few weeks ago. He went in full bore about 10 miles then pulled off to turn back.

I'm guessing they're 10 mile wonder type of riders. :D

View attachment 6962

I'm guessing they never dealt with long, steep climbs where you're forced to sustain high power output for long periods just to keep moving forward.

Ironically, you can still perform such training on the flats by doing base training and intervals and of course by sticking to the optimal heart rate zones, calibrating your heart rate zones by checking your max heart rate periodically. Otherwise, structured training and having the discipline to stick to it.

At the moment, my only training of that sort is running up 30 floors straight and then repeat 3 to 15x (909 to 4,545 ft elevation gain) depending on the day of the week. It seemed to be maintaining my FTP on the bike even though I'm only spending so little time riding now.

Got Screwed Bike Tour New screws for the gopro mounts. $12 for a few to add to my collection. New HR target. Raised to 180 seeing I spent like 1.5 hours in zone 5 yesterday. Zones looked more reasonable today. Solo Pico to the Santa Fe Dam. 20 miles.
Screenshot_20240114_130710_Active.jpg
20240114_124539.jpg
20240112_185744.jpg

Solo 30 on Thursday not being able to ride the weekend going out of town.
Where Do They Get These Clowns
Tour.... Solo before going out of town so no weekend rides. Adjusting my HR target so I tried staying in 140'ish today trying to hold zone 4. Saw some dude a mile ahead about 1 mile in. 8 miles later I pass him but I guess he's worried about shaming his race kit so he HAS to pass me back. Then he fades and I pass him again so he takes my wheel, really? I wave him around and tell him to go if he's going to go. Get stopped at the light as he's there 10 seconds ahead of me. I look at him and laugh. He doesn't respond but then races off thinking I shamed his team jersey. Some Cranky ******* pics.

20240118_133333.jpg
20240118_111708.jpg
20240118_124603.jpg

Solo 30 on Thursday not being able to ride the weekend going out of town.
Where Do They Get These Clowns
Tour.... Solo before going out of town so no weekend rides. Adjusting my HR target so I tried staying in 140'ish today trying to hold zone 4. Saw some dude a mile ahead about 1 mile in. 8 miles later I pass him but I guess he's worried about shaming his race kit so he HAS to pass me back. Then he fades and I pass him again so he takes my wheel, really? I wave him around and tell him to go if he's going to go. Get stopped at the light as he's there 10 seconds ahead of me. I look at him and laugh. He doesn't respond but then races off thinking I shamed his team jersey. Some Cranky ******* pics.

View attachment 6972View attachment 6973View attachment 6974
Sounds like fun ride !

Hadn't rode asphalt since early December . Banged out a quickie road ride in the rain just an hour and 20 minutes worth . Felt great but still quite tender , didn't ride too hard on climbs.

conti 5000's sticking really well. Rode a little fast for conditions , but fun as hell. Couldn't see for krap.

Really satisfying ride ,good and fast plenty of thrill , a few animals on the road. No cars to speak of say

I'm in love with the 32's GP's ran them 54 PSI front 56 rear. About 2200 ft of vertical and 18 miles.

I been running the same squirt liquid wax last 300 miles on the old bike not as much as a single wipe or a second look and in rain and dirt road debris Clean as a whistle. haven't used it in the trails . Lots of talk but found results differ. Rode 4 hours in the rain altogether.

Wish all my cycling jerseys had just one zippered pocket in back. Lost my phone and got ran over but still works. Jumping over stuff when aero . Got to get the sewing machine out for mods.

Forgot to start watch . maybe 25 or 30 miles
In CCW circles that is ,on a junior class 80" rental fixed - gear bike in a beginner session at a 338 m outdoor banked track very far from home.

Quite a different experience from the road . So far removed from casual cycling. It's all in period . Whole point is racing and a lot of pressure IMO. no WB on the bike at all. Gotta do fueling different for this.

So hard to control my cadence and speed as a newbie ("no brakes ,ma")
Guys yelling "on" "off " among other things. Whipping up and down the banks , all the rules . Knowing you cannot coast period ( or hop things ) Clipping in was easy thanks to recent roller training.

Found myself eating wind and going up track to reduce speed and prevent overlap with my group instead of staying in draft which typically I love to draft but was scared . So of course I played up front a bit and of course by the bell I was destroyed . I DFL'd that race but dam was it fun.

3 more sessions and i can go back and race on Wednesday nights in Spring.

First team match race I hit a stone high up on the banks about 25 plus mph 110 PSI to zero PSI took a turn or two to realized the back seemed was coming out from under . My 4 person team lost that race because of that. Was no visible puncture hole in tread or sidewalls. I suspect the tube had failed ( thermal cycling ) bikes are kept in shipping containers outdoors.

gnarly ride beanz
lots of vertical . Hard to post here soooo slow compared to any site I can ping. its painful but free (?)

Yeah me too. Sometimes can't even connect for an hour. Keep thinking maybe I was banned from the site but then much later, I'm able to connect.

Nice track racing. I'm guessing that's a velodrome? I'm not sure I'd do that looks pretty scary after having watched yt videos over the years. Guessing it develops the skills though.

More I think about it scarier it was.

Watching the videos again I clearly was not falling into pace line nor controlling speed well . Too afraid to overlap tires and take 2 down .

This is day 2 post session . Hurt like heck , but will go back.