Did You Ride Today?

60 miles the other day. Scrubbed the last 5 miles because I saw it was raining around summit, the steepest, most dangerous part of the route. I've descended that part before in wet conditions, absolutely scary and dangerous and I'm not going to do that again!

The danger in those parts comes from either myself skidding and crashing into trees or rocks or vehicles or falling into the ravine or an incoming motorcycling skidding and colliding me.

Today, just a couple miles commute to and from the park and then doing 2 hr jog on the park. First time I jogged that long and never been this sore, not since last year, I can barely walk! Surprisingly, I did not have any problems getting home riding my bike and wasn't any slower. It would seem the muscles involved in jogging is different than cycling because my "cycling muscles" aren't affect and my cycling performance is unaffected.

Anyway, it's way safer to jog on the park. The walking paths are totally isolated from vehicular traffic and way cleaner air from the many trees. It's such pleasant experience, more relaxing without watching out for traffic, potholes, and exhaust fumes from vehicles that I'm thinking of offsetting my long rides on Saturday to make time for jogging. The environment is way cleaner too. No garbage, no litterbugs in the park. I could probably ride my bike in the park but there's so many joggers that I'll have to be much slower, I'd rather just jog if I can't do higher speeds.

Strange how muscles act. Years ago before I met my wife, 22 very active. Many sports and weight lifting.

One girlfriend asked me to go walking with her. 1 mile uphill 2% grade and back. I was sore for a week. :D

When I can't ride anymore, I'll take up walking. Good exercise.

Reactions: cobbwheels
Strange how muscles act. Years ago before I met my wife, 22 very active. Many sports and weight lifting.

One girlfriend asked me to go walking with her. 1 mile uphill 2% grade and back. I was sore for a week. :D

When I can't ride anymore, I'll take up walking. Good exercise.

You'll be riding well in your 90's and I kid you not!

Even my quads are sore, which surprised me for the obvious reason we use those muscles a lot in cycling and additionally in weight lifting. Hip flexors are incredibly sore which is another unexpected outcome since I also use them a lot to lift my legs on the upstroke of the pedal stroke. Calves are sore but I am expecting that because I barely use my calves in cycling. Glutes and hamstrings are not sore. I do use these muscles a lot in cycling and weight lifting.

I've recently increased my jogging time. The reason I'm doing it is to have strong bones and still have good mobility when I hit my senior years. I'm so light, my bones are probably fragile that's why I started lifting weights couple of months ago and now doing more hours in jogging.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Sunday 20. I sure did not feel like riding but aiming for 300 miles for November. Legs were stiff, a bit of a nasal drip which is very rare for me. Slight headache almost feel like I'm sick but not.

Heading up against a noticeable headwind, I almost turned back after 2 miles but know that's what makes one strong. Pushing on against the odds. But felt like ****. Couldn't figure out why I felt so stiff.

Got to the top fighting every inch of the way. Turned around and BAM!!! Doingb19 barely pedaling. :D

Didn't realize it was so windy. Restored my cycling spirit and happy that I pushed on even though it was supposed to be a short easy recovery ride.
20231126_115931.jpg

50 miles on Saturday. Also strong headwinds to and fro! There was only short period of tailwind on the last several miles.

The supposedly 70 mile ride I cut to just 50 miles. Strong headwinds and my right hip flexor went sore too soon and my quads didn't feel fully recovered.

The previous weekend, I did 2 hrs of running and on Saturday this weekend, it felt like my legs are fully recovered and no more soreness but I was wrong and the strong headwinds only made things worse.

Today, I just ran up and down the stairwell of our fire exit because it was raining. Did an elevation gain of ~1,000 ft. Hip flexor is sore again but thankfully, it wasn't as sore as last week so my legs are definitely showing good signs of adaptation and my knees are not hurting anymore as it did last week.

35 miles, 2200 ft with my buddy Tony. Known the guy since I was 13 starting high-school. Almost 47 years ,been friends.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://youtu.be/mNTBAq-bDRc?si=Tj-BAEOQcvKwDI5G

You video wasn't playing at first despite good connection. Then I tried playing one of the **** viral videos and it played without problems, what a surprise! I found another good content but non-viral video like yours and wasn't playing again. Youtube sucks. Anyway, your video played eventually.

Finally got to see Tony without the goggles. He definitely looks like a Tony! Nice beautiful route. I noticed Tony was pointing his knees out when pedaling but hey, I have a weird pedaling style too!

I think I'm going to be spending more time in jogging/running from now on. Because we have some nice parks for jogging just a few miles away situated in the richest areas of the city. The paths are completely isolated from traffic, great shade from trees, and actually clean, no garbage in sight and none of those horrible smells. I'm still going to make 2hr laps each weekend with my bike around one of these parks (not in the jogging paths) as I'm still bringing my bike to commute to and from these parks. Fortunately, the roads around these parks are also clean and I can make a full lap without interference from car traffic except for other cyclists. It might get so monotonous but we'll see. At least it is so much safer and so much cleaner than the route I use to the mountains. Far less stressful to deal with.

I did 4 hrs of riding and running today

2 x 1 hr ride and then 30 minutes run and finally a 1 hr "recovery" ride.

There's 5 minute breaks in between when I locked or unlocked the bike from the racks in the park. I had with me a 4 lb chain lock that felt more like a boat anchor with its weight.

My muscles got sore from running and then would actively recover in each 1 hr bike ride. But I still ended up with a very sore hip flexor on my right thigh.

I think I'm just going to do squats with weights and nothing else starting tomorrow until Friday to recover my hip flexors. I think I strained it from two weeks of running daily. In fact, my core muscles are also sore from running up and down a steep hill.

Running is all new to me. My first two weeks so far. High impact loads and puts very brief but much higher loads on the quads, glutes, and the core and seems quite strenuous on the hip flexors as well (while I'm lifting the other foot, the other one is impacting the ground, I suppose puts a lot of strain on the hip flexors).

Good news is my quads are fully recovered now and no longer getting sore from running. Soles of feet are not sore anymore too and seemed to have adapted to running. Calves are still a little sore but a lot less sore compared to last week.

A short 25 today. Have to go to a Christmas party tonight at the Doubletree Hotel. Heck, I ain't passing up free dinner and gifts. :D

Easy on the way out but windy on the way back. Heartrate tells the story. I did hit 171 somewhere along the way without sprinting, just pushing hard into the wind.

So I'll take that as 160 ain't really my max. Got to be 171 or more. I guess that's good for an old fart. :D

20231216_094934.jpg
20231216_095048.jpg
Screenshot_20231216_115701_Active.jpg

A short 25 today. Have to go to a Christmas party tonight at the Doubletree Hotel. Heck, I ain't passing up free dinner and gifts. :D

Easy on the way out but windy on the way back. Heartrate tells the story. I did hit 171 somewhere along the way without sprinting, just pushing hard into the wind.

So I'll take that as 160 ain't really my max. Got to be 171 or more. I guess that's good for an old fart. :D

NONE of the formulas for max HR are accurate! Because they don't account for level of fitness.

I only did 15 miles of cycling yesterday right after an hour of running and almost an hour of running up and down the stairwell. Calves are very sore! I hit the road with my bike with very sore calves but it didn't matter because I don't actually use my calves in cycling. I simply keep it relaxed all the way.

I'm starting to like running more than cycling but this is mostly due to my running/riding conditions. Running paths are totally isolated from traffic, superior quality, better behavior of runners, shoes are far cheaper than bikes and are maintenance free in comparison. It's actually relaxing compared to my rides.

Last edited:
Wow man, what a day. Didn't sleep much and my HR showed it today and feeling the struggle. Max HR should be 160 but being able to hold high percentages, some are saying my max should be higher. Well, I hit 193 today. Felt fine though, just a struggle on the upper section to the mountains.

Darn Christmas parties! Well, didn't go to sleep till about 2am then slept off and on for about 3 hours. Didn't want to get up but I did. Mustvride even when you know you're going to suck!

Screenshot_20231217_144039_Active.jpg
20231217_122637.jpg
20231217_121929.jpg

20231216_195429.jpg
20231216_180008.jpg
20231217_000240.jpg
20231216_193456.jpg
20231216_202906.jpg

Wow man, what a day. Didn't sleep much and my HR showed it today and feeling the struggle. Max HR should be 160 but being able to hold high percentages, some are saying my max should be higher. Well, I hit 193 today. Felt fine though, just a struggle on the upper section to the mountains.

Darn Christmas parties! Well, didn't go to sleep till about 2am then slept off and on for about 3 hours. Didn't want to get up but I did. Mustvride even when you know you're going to suck!

View attachment 6923View attachment 6924View attachment 6925
View attachment 6926View attachment 6927View attachment 6928View attachment 6929View attachment 6930

I miss Christmas parties! Gina's looking pretty. Is that beer? You can blame your performance on the beer!

Didn't ride yesterday and today, but ran on the stairwell and roof deck of our apartment. About 1000' elevation gain on foot each session (multiple laps). It seems I can gain altitude faster on foot if the gradient is steep enough than with cycling and I have pretty low gears on my bike. I haven't tried it but it would be interesting to pass cyclists on the way up on our steep hill circuit. Would do it someday once I'm fully adapted to running.

Last edited:
I miss Christmas parties! Gina's looking pretty. Is that beer? You can blame your performance on the beer!

Didn't ride yesterday and today, but ran on the stairwell and roof deck of our apartment. About 1000' elevation gain on foot each session (multiple laps). It seems I can gain altitude faster on foot if the gradient is steep enough than with cycling and I have pretty low gears on my bike. I haven't tried it but it would be interesting to pass cyclists on the way up on our steep hill circuit. Would do it someday once I'm fully adapted to running.

Thanks! :D
Nah! Never been a beer drinker. Never been into booze. I ha half a can of beer about 30 years ago. A cup about 2 years ago to taste a blonde beer after a ride. Booze just not my thing.

I had iced tea and water and it was an open bar. But nothing for me. Not worth my health or getting arrested for driving under the influence. I save my money for bike stuff. :D

Thanks! :D
Nah! Never been a beer drinker. Never been into booze. I ha half a can of beer about 30 years ago. A cup about 2 years ago to taste a blonde beer after a ride. Booze just not my thing.

I had iced tea and water and it was an open bar. But nothing for me. Not worth my health or getting arrested for driving under the influence. I save my money for bike stuff. :D

Good for you!

Shhh. Im going to celebrate a year sober early 2024 !
Had marinated for in it 3-4 decades. Is just no longer a fit.

Been there , did that. I don't need to age with the liquor anymore. Encouraging to see these comments from others.

NONE of the formulas for max HR are accurate! Because they don't account for level of fitness.

I only did 15 miles of cycling yesterday right after an hour of running and almost an hour of running up and down the stairwell. Calves are very sore! I hit the road with my bike with very sore calves but it didn't matter because I don't actually use my calves in cycling. I simply keep it relaxed all the way.

I'm starting to like running more than cycling but this is mostly due to my running/riding conditions. Running paths are totally isolated from traffic, superior quality, better behavior of runners, shoes are far cheaper than bikes and are maintenance free in comparison. It's actually relaxing compared to my rides.
As a competitive club runner I could agree on all counts.

Can get out of cars way easier , near zero equipt cost .

And the detachment from self ,from pain you can allow in running
whereas the cyclist must be more keenly aware every moment .

But hard to be competitive at both sports same season.
Running you can stand out if you have talent. Cycling I feel like another fly on the wall .

The running races cost way less and take less time. And allow for place on podium way more easily.

View attachment 6923View attachment 6924View attachment 6925
View attachment 6926View attachment 6927View attachment 6928View attachment 6929View attachment 6930
In envy of those biometrics of that ride. Looking good! How'd you hack the cycling computer? Just joking .