Sunglasses - which ones do you use for riding?

roadiechick

Apr 13, 2004
Hi

Just wondered if anyone could recommend a good pair of riding sunglasses. I am using Oakley Minutes at the moment and I find that when I turn my head to check traffic behind me, the frame seems to be right in the way of my vision (corner of my eyes, if you know what I mean).

Any recommendation would be welcome.

RoadieChick

Originally posted by roadiechick
Hi

Just wondered if anyone could recommend a good pair of riding sunglasses. I am using Oakley Minutes at the moment and I find that when I turn my head to check traffic behind me, the frame seems to be right in the way of my vision (corner of my eyes, if you know what I mean).

Any recommendation would be welcome.

RoadieChick

I have found that Oakley M Frames are pretty much the best out there for me. They stay far enough away from your face so that sweat doesn't run straingt onto the lenses and they provide a very clear peripheral view, not to mention the interchangeable lenses. Rudy Project also makes some good glasses, but I found the optics to be far better with Oakley. Hope this helps.

Jeff

"Rudy Can't Fail" - The Clash

Love 'em, great coverage and venting. Kinda pricy, but I'm lucky to get them free with the team gear. Lots of different styles and sizes, some will fit/cover better than others depending on the size of your noggin.

Oakley M frames. best optics (no question) and they look cool....probably better than rudys in my opinion. Plus u can get almost any colour combo u like if you r prepared to pay $$$

I'm using Arnette Miniswingers -- but like anyone else, only because they fit my face well.

I have been using the Coyote Durango. They fit well but the optics are probably not the best. They are cheap ($20-25) so I won't cry like a baby when I eventually lose or break them and they have three sets of lenses - grey, orange and yellow. Yellow look the coolest (I can be a legend in my own mind!) and give you a wierd sort of night-vision, but the orange are the ones I am using the most right now - great for overcast days.

Oakley looks great but they mean a lot of $$$$

I ride with Bollé Vigilante interchangeable, they are very light, fit well, good
aerodynamics with excellent respiration avoiding inner fog from transpiration.

M frames - no doubt. Expen$ive, but worth it. Sweat doesn't get on them, and they wrap around so you don't get sunlight on the sides.

What the devil makes them so expensive?

what makes the M frames so expensive is the fact that people will pay the price that oakley are asking for them. I suppose something that works almost perfectly and looks about the same people will pay ridiculous amounts of cash for, especially if their favourite cyclist (sportsperson) wears them! It certainly worked for me. On top of that, apparently there has been a lot of research into the lens geometry of the whole oakley range and this may go some way towards explaining the high price.

Originally posted by drewjc
what makes the M frames so expensive is the fact that people will pay the price that oakley are asking for them. I suppose something that works almost perfectly and looks about the same people will pay ridiculous amounts of cash for, especially if their favourite cyclist (sportsperson) wears them! It certainly worked for me. On top of that, apparently there has been a lot of research into the lens geometry of the whole oakley range and this may go some way towards explaining the high price.

they really do have great optics tho

I use "wileyX" romer IIs.. used by the seals and are indestuctable...They come with three lenses...mirror, clear and orange...They can be had for 75 bucks and in my opinion are well worth it if you tend to treat your glasses/goggles rough...

I managed to get my hands on a pair of Rudy Ketyum for a very good price. Very cool, VERY pricey, two sets of lenses - grey/mirror and clear (I ride while it's still dark in the mornings).

Oakley M Frame Lance Armstrong signature series....great glasses, nice wrap around and frame does not create a blind spot.

I have Rudy Ekynox World Champs, which came 2 sets of lenses. They're nice, but I think I want something without frame on bottom portion of lense.

check out Smith.

I have the voodoo model, they aren't too great for cycling (rims are pretty thick) but that's not what I bought them for originally.

They have a lot of models that have larger lenses/thinner rims. They're mostly less than $100.

The lenses (they come with 3 sets: brown, copper, and yellow) are phenomenal. Very little distortion, and the improvment in contrast is shocking. They block the sun without making it look dark.

Pretty darn durable too.

I wear Rudy Project Skeey glasses.

Why????????????????

I dont have a wide head....., and I love all the different color combinations I can create with them. I have ALL 8 different frame colors....... along with several different lens combo's( clear-night riding, Yellow-over cast days, Tek-Red - which is good for early mornings, etc , Racing Brown , Action Brown , Smoke black , Lazer Blue and Black !! ). **** Another super detail is that there is different LENS styles on the Skeey line of glasses = Skeey , Skeey Uno , and Skeey Cubic lenses.... that all fit the same frame. Thus, you can just get one color frame that you like..... but buy several different lenses(color ,and styles) to better self tailor a new "cool " look every time !! With all my frame and lens combos .... I probably have about 100 different styles I can create.

They only weight .99oz , and the frame is a Carbon monocoque(single lay design-seamless)..... so the frame flexes to your faces dimentions. The ear stems are Copper-Berillium(sp. ?) ...... which is bomb-proof ...... and you can self bend them to your proportions. ALL of the parts of the glasses are replaceable..... with the nose temples, ear stems , etc. all conected with small screws.... The lenses give great optics..... and when you look out of your glasses... there is nothing in you line of sight that is obstructive. Rudy also has a Super great lens guarentee...... replacement lens policy !!! :)

I have had Oakley Eye-Jackets in the past...... and the frames/ear stems are made out of Plastic----- NO NO**** ---- and I had those ear stems SNAP on me about 4 times before Oakley sent me a newer pair of Eye-Jackets... which I sold to buy RUDY's !!! Oakley has great lenses...... that is the only plus I can give Oakley. Oakley cheats buy lightening up there glasses w/ Plastic......... what a Cheesy attempt at producing quality eye wear..... and Lance helps represent them ??? He must be getting paid well by Oakley .

These retailed for just over $100 .......... but they can be bought on Ebay for right about $40-60 . I dont know if Rudy is still producing these great glasses any more......... but I'd say it was this line that really launched them into just about "Oakley " status. I know..... they still dont have the Oakley name that Everyone recognizes...... , but I'd rather go with the under dog.... plus there made in Italy !!

I use them for bike riding-mainly ..... plus on my job, I use them as protective eye-wear (with the clear lenses):)