Regional and School Buses!

"Jon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> "Jon" <[email protected]> wrote
>>> [Burt Reynolds movie]

>> Tarantino admired the movie? Did he explain why or did he just leave it
>> hanging there?

> I recognized the reference and googled the title. I only then
> recalled seeing it, from the plot synopsis. The Tarantino
> interview where he mentions it was one of the first page hits
> in my Google query.
>
>> I take "it's been a long time since you last saw it" to mean
>> you've seen it more than once.

> If so, probably on broadcast TV.
> Perhaps not by choice! %^)
>
>> Have you ever known anyone who claimed BR was their
>> favorite actor? Just wondering.

> A friend of mine really likes his movies. _Smokey and the
> Bandit_, stuff, not excepted.

I have some really old friends and we make it a point to get together at
least twice a year to watch a bad movie, share a pizza and a few beers, and
swap lies about our exciting lives. The 'mo worser the movie, the 'mo betta
the conversation. Most often its some Japanese monster thing, but WW and
the Dixie Dancekings show up there from time to time too. I occasionly like
to take the high road and provide my guests with a classic stinker such as
Shampoo from the mid-seventies. Gag.

>>> A decent fisher, actually. Decent bait selection. Reasonable
>>> technique. Keep on posting,-- I'll take the bait when it strikes
>>> my fancy. %^P

>> Perhaps good enough to get into Peter's kill file, but not in yours it
>> would seem.

> Peter has been around a long time. Seems to me he's just
> intelligently selective in reponding.
>
> Aspiring to be kill-filed is not the sign of a talented fisher
> in my esteem. Being dumb, or playing it is just uninteresting.
> Being abusive and destructive is unremarkable. Contributing
> on topic posts is a plus.
>
> In this case, I really am interested in why people, particularly
> recumbent cyclists, think cycling is "dangerous" or not.
>
> I've had upright bike riders, for instance, tell me they think
> recumbents are dangerous. Often they base their assessment
> on just having heard about them, or perhaps only have seen
> a picture... Rarely have they ridden one, and even more
> rarely, have they ridden several different types for any
> significant distance.
>
> The basis of their concern is often height of the rider:
> "You can't see over traffic." I point out they can't see
> over SUVs and pickups.

I feel comfortable in town stop and go traffic on the Easy Racer. I feel
like I am a part of the traffic, being pretty much eye level with auto
drivers and sitting in the same position they are. I actually feel I get
some mortorcycle type respect from drivers based on the Easy Racer
configuration. Harley riders usually give me a nod which is more than I can
say for many conventional bike riders.

> They sometimes say, "You can't jump curbs and you
> can't do track stands." True, but neither can some
> upright riders, and not jumping curbs or doing track
> stands hasn't been a safety issue for me.

If I'm riding a mountain bike if traffic I like to think I can jump curbs
[kerbs], do track stands, and head for the ditch if need be. And maybe I
could, but I've never needed to. **** Ryan's video of him riding his
Vanguard in Boston is interesting. I do not recommend riding a bike in
Boston traffic.

My cycling career has been clear of injury from a road bike/recumbent
standpoint. The only times I can remember going down were those embarrasing
can't get out of the clips fast enough falls in front of a crowd. But for a
brief time I got into single trac mountain bike riding. It was remarkable
in that I would be bleeding after just about every ride. I rode with a
small group which included a plastic surgeon. Over time he got work from
most of us. The irony is he had an over the bar face plant requiring more
plastic surgery than the rest of us put together. All of this was
definately guy stuff.

> They say, "Recumbents are slow not maneuverable." I
> point out that my BikeE turning radius is similar to
> their upright and I can ride a straight line at speeds
> from 3 to 30+ mph. I point out bikes aren't slow,
> riders are. %^)
>
> If they're sophisicated, they say, "You have less time
> to react when you're going down (lower center of gravity)
> and less 'body english' control". That's true. But I
> have less distance to fall. %^) And falling in my
> experience on a recumbent puts hips in place of
> shoulder, arms, wrists and hands in road contact...
>
> Then I ask, "Would you prefer to crash head first or
> feet first into an obstacle?" The over the handlebars
> experience seems pretty specific to upright riding.

For a while I lived in a hilly area where there was this exceptionally steep
hill on a county road. Four speed cars would have to gear down to second
gear to top the hill. It was a 55 mph downhill and on the GRR I never
uncomfortable doing it. But on an upright I would be imagining every little
thing that could possibly go wrong to toss me over the handlebars.

> The idea here is to watch something so bad it's laughable - Bergman's a
> downer.

May I recommend "Liquid Sky"? it is soooo close to being art, but it sooo
far away from being art. it would have been a perfect candidate for MST3K.

gotbent aka FRVT rider

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 11:17:46 -0500, in rec.bicycles.tech "Edward
Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote:

>don't mind them so long as they do not have a macho attitude. That is
>reserved for us testosterone based men. Women who want to compete with men
>are beneath contempt. I treat them like the tramps that they are.

Well, *that* should start some cackling! You should have cross-posted
it to a few feminist groups while you were at it.

Jones

In article <[email protected]>,
!Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 11:17:46 -0500, in rec.bicycles.tech "Edward
> Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I don't mind them so long as they do not have a macho attitude. That
> >is reserved for us testosterone based men. Women who want to compete
> >with men are beneath contempt. I treat them like the tramps that
> >they are.

> Well, *that* should start some cackling! You should have
> cross-posted it to a few feminist groups while you were at it.

Ed may be Greatly Stupid and a Legend In His Own Mind, but even he ain't
*that* stupid.

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 13:14:08 -0500, in rec.bicycles.tech "Edward
Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My home base is ARBR. I only post to the other cycling newsgroups because
>they are intellectually deprived. Moreover, most of what I have to say is of
>universal interest.

And so... are you "the troll" hereabouts? Are you any good? I always
like meeting a fellow Usenet troll. So... say something profound,
please. What is the meaning of life? You know... something of
"universal interest".

Jones... who seeks only wisdom and enlightenment... and who trolls a
little on the side when he gets time.

Edward Dolan, thou second-rate ordinary fool, sit there, the lyingest
knave in Christendom, ye dirged in
news:[email protected]:

> Over-decorated bull-nurse with lethargic little dutch boy, distended
> low-hangers, and pummelling gooseberry-grinder hungers for suffering
> prince charming for harrowing interspecies sex.
>
> Email me at mailto:[email protected]. Privacy and discretion assured.

Edward Dolan, thou bloodsucking living murmurer, we may account thee a
whoremaster and knave, ye honked in
news:[email protected]:

stratrider aka Jim Reilly wrote:
> I am ready to do battle with two bus companies; my public city bus
> system and a local school bus company. A frequent example of their
> disrespect for cyclists involves a maneuver where the bus speeds up
> approaching an intersection and the makes a right across the path of
> the cyclist (me in this case)! It drives me nuts! The attitude of
> the driver is clear. Get out of my way or be crushed!

Around here, one of the requirements for hiring school bus drivers is
that the applicant must be a cretin. City bus drivers may be more
intelligent, but must suffer from either borderline or anti-social
personality disorder (per DSM IV).

stratrider aka Jim Reilly wrote:
> I am ready to do battle with two bus companies; my public city bus
> system and a local school bus company. A frequent example of their
> disrespect for cyclists involves a maneuver where the bus speeds up
> approaching an intersection and the makes a right across the path of
> the cyclist (me in this case)! It drives me nuts! The attitude of
> the driver is clear. Get out of my way or be crushed!

Around here, one of the requirements for hiring school bus drivers is
that the applicant must be a cretin. City bus drivers may be more
intelligent, but must suffer from either borderline or anti-social
personality disorder (per DSM IV).

stratrider aka Jim Reilly wrote:
> I am ready to do battle with two bus companies; my public city bus
> system and a local school bus company. A frequent example of their
> disrespect for cyclists involves a maneuver where the bus speeds up
> approaching an intersection and the makes a right across the path of
> the cyclist (me in this case)! It drives me nuts! The attitude of
> the driver is clear. Get out of my way or be crushed!

Around here, one of the requirements for hiring school bus drivers is
that the applicant must be a cretin. City bus drivers may be more
intelligent, but must suffer from either borderline or anti-social
personality disorder (per DSM IV).

stratrider aka Jim Reilly wrote:
> On May 22, 5:25 pm, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> All that matters when you are cycling is your own safety. Anything else is
>> secondary by far. Get the hell out of the way of motor vehicles. They do not
>> want you on the road in the first instance and when they run over you, they
>> will say they did not see you and get off scot free.

> Ed, there's no better point to make than that one. Anticipate. No
> from experience what's going to happen and get OUT of the way! After
> that, I would still love to get the driver out of the bus and have a
> pleasant, civil, discussion with him. Yeah right... Pleasant and
> civil. Ha.

A couple of blocks from where I used to work, someone got on a city bus
and started whaling on the driver.

wilson who? wrote:
> [...] What's wrong with getting out of
> the way just before a large motorized heavy metal machine hits you when
> you are on your bicycle protected by only a spandex racing bike outfit,
> leather gloves, and a really cool styrofoam helmet?[...]

butbutbut [1], foam bicycle hats prevent 85% of injuries to ALL body
parts! Just ask Thompson, Rivara, Thompson. ;)

[1] A gdanielsism.

Jon Meinecke wrote:
> [...]
> Rather, to reduce the likelihood of someone being between
> that bus and a hard place in the future, I *have* suggested
>
> 1) educating public bus drivers about driving around cyclists
> 2) escalating complaints concerning such drivers' behavior as
> appropriate
> 3) riding in a manner that improves visibility and promotes
> safer interaction with motor vehicles

4) Development of bicycle mounted RPG launchers.