Regional and School Buses!

"Jon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

> of selective observation and flawed generalization.
>
> Imagine you are in a minor car collision, wearing your seat belt.
> You are not injured, but a gasoline leak has started a fire. You
> have time to escape if you move quickly, but your seat belt is
> jammed. You die in the fire. OK, so you carry a knife to cut
> the seat belt. What if that slight delay makes the difference?
>
> Clearly in this case, wearing the seat belt was as undesirable
> as being in the Mini Cooper crushed by the semi. But it does
> not necessarily follow that *not* wearing seat belts is the safest
> behavior.
>
>> Throw a coke bottle up in the air and I suppose it may *not necessary*
>> follow that it will return to earth, but I'm willing to
>> bet it will.

> Depends on whether the bottle obtains escape velocity. %^)
> That you are willing to wager on the likely outcome suggests an
> understanding of the laws of physics or at least a sound
> generalization from observation of a fairly simple circumstance
> with few variables.
>
> But when assessing relative risk of various human activities, the
> laws of physics are only part of the picture. Hmmm, this
> reminds me of the falling Coke bottle in the movie, _The Gods
> Must be Crazy_.
>
>> graphic photo of car plowing into a peloton [...]
>> According to your statistics all these cyclists were statistically less
>> safe driving to the start of the race with their bikes in tow than they
>> were on the road racing their bikes.

> The cyclists were exposed to greater risk while driving.
>
> Shall I send you links to news photos of the mangled
> remains of the SUV where four children of friends of
> mine died?
>
>> Then the unthinkable happened.

> Not unthinkable. An unlikely thing happened.
> A tragic incident.
>
> Do you propose that the cyclists involved failed to
> properly prepare for and take evasive action?
>
> Do you propose that they failed to make eye contact
> with the driver, -- drunk, asleep at the wheel,-- before
> proceeding?
>
> The inherently unsafe aspect here is the drunk driver.
> Sadly, that's not a very rare occurrence. This was
> not about the physics of smaller or larger bodies in
> motion colliding. If the reports are true, this was
> not a accident, it was man slaughter.
>
>> Your statistics are no respecter of persons.

> Correct. One-in-a-million events happen.
> Strangely, in about one in a million times over
> the long run. %^)
>
>> Statistics to the contrary don't matter when it's your
>> body flying though the air.

> Correct.
>
> No more than statistics matter if the drunk driver had
> swerved onto the sidewalk and into a crowd of
> pedestrians. Or had crossed into oncoming traffic
> and struck head-on a van full of kids going to church
> camp. Both have happened here.
>
> Doesn't change the point that cycling is not particularly

My argument doesn't concern the relative dangers of cycling compared to
other activities, such as roller derby, per hour risk of exposure, or
whatever. They are what they are.

My argument, which is backed up by my common sense, is that a cyclist
getting run over by a car, train, bus, or semi trailer is involved in an
event that is inherently dangerous, and often fatal, to the cyclist. It is
far and away more dangerous for the cyclist than for the train engineer,
car, or
the bus or simi truck drivers. My point is that it is critically important
for the cyclist to act accordingly and use their own judgment and wits to
avoid this eventuality.

Thass all I'm sayin'.

"Kerry Montgomery" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "DennisTheBald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> DennisTheBald
> For years now the levels of carbon monoxide emitted by new automobiles in
> the US (sorry, don't know about other countries) has been so low that if
> you fire up your (1980 or newer) Buick in a three car or a one car garage,
> it will never kill you. See:
> http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1273253
> This result may or may not be able to be extrapolated to the big ball we
> live on.
> Kerry

You have too much faith in the assertions of the report.

Yes, fewer people die of carbon monoxide poisoning when attempting to kill
themselves by using car exhausts but it's still possible to to be killed by
asphyxiation if the confined space is not ventilated. Catalytic converters
removed the carbon monoxide but the carbon dioxide levels are unaffected.

In a confined unventilated space with an engine running, the oxygen levels
will drop, the carbon dioxide levels rise and any hapless mammals including
humans sharing that space will eventually suffocate due to the lack of
oxygen. It just takes longer to die but gives more opportunities for the
suicide wannabees to change their minds and do something about it. It also
increases the chances of being discovered by a third party before the
attempt succeeds.

You are all welcome to try to prove me wrong but I would recommend you try
to do it using a hands on approach....

"Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote

> My argument, which is backed up by my common sense, is that a cyclist
> getting run over by a car, train, bus, or semi trailer is involved in an
> event that is inherently dangerous, and often fatal, to the cyclist.

So based on this do you believe cycling is "particularly dangerous"?

Jon

"Jon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> My argument, which is backed up by my common sense, is that a cyclist
>> getting run over by a car, train, bus, or semi trailer is involved in an
>> event that is inherently dangerous, and often fatal, to the cyclist.

> So based on this do you believe cycling is "particularly dangerous"?
>
> Jon

Consider sky diving. If you land safely it isn't particularly dangerous.
If you don't land safely it can be extremely dangerous. There's little
middle ground for other outcomes.

You consider the the safety ramifications and then you take your chances.

Wilson wrote:

> Consider sky diving. If you land safely it isn't particularly
> dangerous. If you don't land safely it can be extremely dangerous.
> There's little middle ground for other outcomes.

You can say the same about transatlantic air travel: if the airliner
crashes into the sea then your chances are not good (!), but that's not
enough reason to state that transatlantic air travel is dangerous.

> You consider the the safety ramifications and then you take your chances.

And whether to take the chances is based on the overall odds, not the
worst case outcome.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> Wilson wrote:
>
>> Consider sky diving. If you land safely it isn't particularly
>> dangerous. If you don't land safely it can be extremely dangerous.
>> There's little middle ground for other outcomes.

> You can say the same about transatlantic air travel: if the airliner
> crashes into the sea then your chances are not good (!), but that's not
> enough reason to state that transatlantic air travel is dangerous.
>
>> You consider the the safety ramifications and then you take your chances.

> And whether to take the chances is based on the overall odds, not the
> worst case outcome.

I think you've got it Pete. Any outcome other than a safe landing is a
worst case outcome. There's no room for alternate outcomes. If airplanes
always landed safely you could say flying was essentially a perfectly safe
activity. But they don't. You might feel safe in a commercial airliner,
but decline to fly with an Alaska bush pilot who flies into wilderness areas
where there are no airports. You consider the safety ramifications and you
take your chances.

I'm not telling you not to cycle on the road, I'm only suggesting if you do
and you get run over by a bus there's every likelihood it will be your last
ride. So do whatever you can to avoid that eventuality. To me this is
common sense stuff. You know like maybe not wearing a helmet when you
ride - you consider the safety ramifications and you take your chances.

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 08:41:36 -0500, in alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
"Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Consider sky diving. If you land safely it isn't particularly dangerous.
>If you don't land safely it can be extremely dangerous. There's little
>middle ground for other outcomes.

I once saw a poster that said "You can't get AIDS in public toilets."
I always wanted to append that it mattered what one *did* in the
public toilet! That wasn't what they meant, of course.

I saw a news article about skydiving this weekend; I think he didn't
have a parachute, as I recall. Proper equipment is an absolute
*must*!!!

Jones

"Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jon" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> [...] do you believe cycling is "particularly dangerous"?
>>

> Consider sky diving. If you land safely it isn't particularly dangerous.

So in your view danger is based not on the likelihood of bad
outcome, but rather the occurrence of bad outcome. Thus, if
I go sky diving and land safely, then that particular event wasn't
"particularly dangerous".

> If you don't land safely it can be extremely dangerous. There's little
> middle ground for other outcomes.
>
> You consider the safety ramifications and then you take your chances.

So based on this, do you consider cycling as more dangerous, less
dangerous, or equally as dangerous as sky diving?

Jon

Wilson wrote:

> I think you've got it Pete. Any outcome other than a safe landing is a
> worst case outcome. There's no room for alternate outcomes. If
> airplanes always landed safely you could say flying was essentially a
> perfectly safe activity. But they don't.

But they do say it's a reasonably safe activity, and that's proven by
lots of people surviving their flights.

> I'm not telling you not to cycle on the road, I'm only suggesting if you
> do and you get run over by a bus there's every likelihood it will be
> your last ride. So do whatever you can to avoid that eventuality.

No. If you do everything you can to avoid accidents that may have fatal
outcomes then you won't get up to much. No shortage of people are
killed falling down stairs, so do I choose to live in a bungalow? No.
Do I always take an elevator when one is available? No, I prefer to
exercise and use the stairs. How about you? Do you always avoid going
down stairs, or make a special point of sitting down and moving down a
step at a time to avoid the possibility of a fatal fall? I very much
doubt it!
If you don't take the probability of the accident into account then
you're doomed to never doing anything or living with innumerable cases
of double standards in your approach to risk taking.

> me this is common sense stuff. You know like maybe not wearing a helmet
> when you ride - you consider the safety ramifications and you take your
> chances.

Which just goes to show there's more to it than "common sense", which is
often not common and sometimes not too sensible. I gave up wearing the
helmet I used to use for "common sense" reasons every time I rode (at
least for transportational cycling) because having read lots of
literature on the subject I now know there's no real effect on serious
head injuries in populations that take them up. That might not be
"common sense", but it's true. I can think up scenarios where they'll
help, but I can also think up scenarious where they hinder. The simple
fact of the matter is that playing the odds for survival they make no
appreciable difference.

And it remains the case that cycling just isn't that dangerous. My
chances of a serious head injury cycling are a little less per unit
distance travelled on a bike in the UK compared to being a pedestrian,
and that's with the benefit of my special segregated sidewalk when I'm
on foot.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote

> [...] I do put my helmet on before doing the stairs.

Does Burt Reynolds know this?.

> In fact, it may have been Jon who suggested there was
> statistical proof of more fatalities per hour of exposure
> just being at home than when cycling.

Nope.

By the fatality per hour study previously cited, home living
(active) is significantly *less risky* than bicycling. Sleeping
at home makes the odds even better.

I would suggest you stay home, but somebody said most
accidents occur within one half a mile of home. Sounds like a
dangerous place. So I suggest you move. Even better, become
homeless, but spend all your time in a home-like environment,
perhaps in someone else's home, mostly sleeping...

> [...] And when I take my bike someplace by auto I now wear my cycling
> helmet in the car. Knowing now
> that auto bike transport is more dangerous

If you're going to quote the study, make that, "has a greater risk
of fatality per hour of exposure"...

> than the cycling, it only stands to reason there would be a greater need
> to wear a helmet transporting the bike than when riding the bike. I thank
> Jon for making this clear to me.

You're welcome. You'll have to decide whether or not to wear
your seatbelt, too, since in the event of a minor firey crash it may
kill you.

Oh, and just so you don't forget:

Cycling is not particularly dangerous.

Jon

"Jon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> [...] I do put my helmet on before doing the stairs.

> Does Burt Reynolds know this?.

No. Burt has only disdain for safety issues. Burt Reynolds lives on the
edge.

>> In fact, it may have been Jon who suggested there was
>> statistical proof of more fatalities per hour of exposure
>> just being at home than when cycling.

> Nope.
>
> By the fatality per hour study previously cited, home living
> (active) is significantly *less risky* than bicycling. Sleeping
> at home makes the odds even better.
>
> I would suggest you stay home, but somebody said most
> accidents occur within one half a mile of home. Sounds like a
> dangerous place. So I suggest you move. Even better, become
> homeless, but spend all your time in a home-like environment,
> perhaps in someone else's home, mostly sleeping...

Maybe you best idea ever. Someone else's home. Now if I can just fine the
right someone. Not having to wear that stupid helmet to bed will be a big
plus.

>> [...] And when I take my bike someplace by auto I now wear my cycling
>> helmet in the car. Knowing now
>> that auto bike transport is more dangerous

> If you're going to quote the study, make that, "has a greater risk
> of fatality per hour of exposure"...

My bad as we used to say.

>> than the cycling, it only stands to reason there would be a greater need
>> to wear a helmet transporting the bike than when riding the bike. I
>> thank Jon for making this clear to me.

> You're welcome. You'll have to decide whether or not to wear
> your seatbelt, too, since in the event of a minor firey crash it may
> kill you.

I'd venture a guess that cycling has less risk of fatality per hour of
exposure than minor firey crashes.

> Oh, and just so you don't forget:
>
> Cycling is not particularly dangerous.

Right. Cycling has less risk of fatality per hour of exposure than just
about anything other than sleeping. That stratrider guy who started this
thread doesn't need to spend his time worrying about those busses on his way
to work. Hey stratrider - you don't need to wear your helmet either.
There's literature claiming it's safer for you to ride to work without your
helmet than it is for you to walk without your helmet. So if you really
want to wear a helmet get smart and wear it when you walk. So let it all
hang out and hammer that thing dude. No worries. Ride on. HTH

Wilson wrote:

<idiocy snipped>

> Does your literature or your common sense tell you children don't need
> to wear helmets when cycling?

Experience. They didn't exist when I learned to cycle as a child, and
the roads were more dangerous then than they are now. I am not aware of
any of my cycle riding child peers from those days that suffered a
serious head injury resulting from a cycling accident.

> In the USA we don't have segregated sidewalks.

You do in the various bits of it I've ever been in, segregated by a
clear kerb from the adjacent roadway.

Pete.
--

Wilson wrote:

> Right. Cycling has less risk of fatality per hour of exposure than just
> about anything other than sleeping. That stratrider guy who started
> this thread doesn't need to spend his time worrying about those busses
> on his way to work.

No, but if he /does/ worry about them and takes them into account then
he's unlikely to be run over by one.

> Hey stratrider - you don't need to wear your helmet
> either. There's literature claiming it's safer for you to ride to work
> without your helmet than it is for you to walk without your helmet. So
> if you really want to wear a helmet get smart and wear it when you
> walk.

Or get even smarter and realise (by reading the specification to which
they're built) that the sort of accident that kills people isn't going
to be affected much by a bike helmet. A helmet is designed for low
speed crashes with *no other vehicle involved*. It is specified so that
it will save you a bump and a graze and a nasty headache, not to save
your life (which is why they have no record of saving lives across
populations and have no clear effect on serious head injuries). Nothing
wrong with wearing one to reduce the possibility of a nasty headache,
but such a thing is very unlikely anyway and isn't going to kill you
even if it does happen.

> So let it all hang out and hammer that thing dude. No worries.
> Ride on.

"No worries" is a bad idea: if you don't worry /at all/ you may well
come a cropper. Worry a little, translate that into your riding and
you're quite probably going to be safe. Not definitely, but you can get
killed on the roads in a big car with air bags and crumple zones if the
worst comes to pass.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> Wilson wrote:
>
> <idiocy snipped>

Re: idiocy snipped. The problem is that I'm joking around and you aren't.

>> Does your literature or your common sense tell you children don't need
>> to wear helmets when cycling?

> Experience. They didn't exist when I learned to cycle as a child, and
> the roads were more dangerous then than they are now. I am not aware of
> any of my cycle riding child peers from those days that suffered a
> serious head injury resulting from a cycling accident.

Peter's answer seems to be that he and his friends didn't need cycling
helmets when they were growing up and therefore your children don't need
them either. Rather than waste your money on cycling helmets for the kids
take the family out and have a nice MacMeal instead.

>> In the USA we don't have segregated sidewalks.

> You do in the various bits of it I've ever been in, segregated by a
> clear kerb from the adjacent roadway.

It was a bad joke Peter. You didn't get it, but there's no reason you
should. Yes we do have sidewalks for walking in the USA. Your observations
are correct.

"Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote

> "Jon" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> [Burt Reynolds]

> [...] Burt has only disdain for safety issues.
> Burt Reynolds lives on the edge

Be careful invoking a BR character, then.

> I'd venture a guess that cycling has less risk of fatality per hour of
> exposure than minor firey crashes.

Sorry, not according to the cited study. Nor residence fires.
Nor hunting. ... But please, if you have access to studies
that support or contradict the assertion that cycling is not
particularly dangerous, please post references.
..
>> Cycling is not particularly dangerous.

> Right. Cycling has less risk of fatality per hour of exposure
> than just about anything other than sleeping.

Your assertion is not supported by any studies cited so far.
Logically, the fallacy of reductio adsurdum is transparent.
Rhetorically, it's not terribly effective, either.

> HTH

Helpful? Revealing, perhaps slightly, but nothing very novel.

Jon

"Jon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> "Jon" <[email protected]> wrote
>>>
>>> [Burt Reynolds]

>> [...] Burt has only disdain for safety issues.
>> Burt Reynolds lives on the edge

> Be careful invoking a BR character, then.

I don't recall invoking or citing a Burt Reyonlds character as an authority
on safety. Truth is I doubt that anyone in the world has ever done that.

>> I'd venture a guess that cycling has less risk of fatality per hour of
>> exposure than minor firey crashes.

> Sorry, not according to the cited study. Nor residence fires.
> Nor hunting. ... But please, if you have access to studies
> that support or contradict the assertion that cycling is not
> particularly dangerous, please post references.
> .

No, no I don't have any fancy studies backing me up. I have to guess at
everything. But I must tell you that it is a bit troubling to learn that
cycling has a greater risk of fatality per hour of exposure than crashing my
car and having it catch fire.

>>> Cycling is not particularly dangerous.

>> Right. Cycling has less risk of fatality per hour of exposure
>> than just about anything other than sleeping.

> Your assertion is not supported by any studies cited so far.
> Logically, the fallacy of reductio adsurdum is transparent.
> Rhetorically, it's not terribly effective, either.
>
>> HTH

> Helpful? Revealing, perhaps slightly, but nothing very novel.

At least you get it. You may not think it's all that good, but then I'm a
true amateur.

"Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote

> I don't recall invoking or citing a Burt Reyonlds character as an
> authority on safety. Truth is I doubt that anyone in the world has ever
> done that.

Except indirectly as a moniker. _W.W. and the Dixie Dance
Kings_,-- Tarantino is quoted as admiring the movie. It's been
a long time since I last saw it. BR's not one of my favorite actors.

> No, no I don't have any fancy studies backing me up.
> I have to guess at everything.

Actually not. It's a choice. %^)

> But I must tell you that it is a bit troubling to learn that cycling
> has a greater risk of fatality per hour of exposure than crashing my car
> and having it catch fire.

Since it has so little apparent risk. does it make you want to
stop cycling, load up your trunk with gas cans and stop your
car in the fast lane of the expressway? I hope not! %^o
Death in a post collision fire is just a subset of death
in a motor vehicle. The numbers do suggest that concerns
about seatbelts hindering exit after a collision may not
be well founded.

It's interesting to consider the arguments made when
seatbelts were first introduced and when their use was
made compulsuary. I'm old enough to remember
someone arguing, "I'd rather be thrown free of the
car, in the event of an accident."

> At least you get it. You may not think it's all that good,
> but then I'm a true amateur.

A decent fisher, actually. Decent bait selection. Reasonable
technique. Keep on posting,-- I'll take the bait when it strikes
my fancy. %^P

Jon

"Jon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>> I don't recall invoking or citing a Burt Reyonlds character as an
>> authority on safety. Truth is I doubt that anyone in the world has ever
>> done that.

> Except indirectly as a moniker. _W.W. and the Dixie Dance
> Kings_,-- Tarantino is quoted as admiring the movie. It's been
> a long time since I last saw it. BR's not one of my favorite actors.

Tarantino admired the movie? Did he explain why or did he just leave it
hanging there? I take "it's been a long time since you last saw it" to
mean you've seen it more than once. Have you ever known anyone who claimed
BR was their favorite actor? Just wondering.

>> No, no I don't have any fancy studies backing me up.
>> I have to guess at everything.

> Actually not. It's a choice. %^)
>
>> But I must tell you that it is a bit troubling to learn that cycling
>> has a greater risk of fatality per hour of exposure than crashing my car
>> and having it catch fire.

> Since it has so little apparent risk. does it make you want to
> stop cycling, load up your trunk with gas cans and stop your
> car in the fast lane of the expressway? I hope not! %^o
> Death in a post collision fire is just a subset of death
> in a motor vehicle. The numbers do suggest that concerns
> about seatbelts hindering exit after a collision may not
> be well founded.
>
> It's interesting to consider the arguments made when
> seatbelts were first introduced and when their use was
> made compulsuary. I'm old enough to remember
> someone arguing, "I'd rather be thrown free of the
> car, in the event of an accident."
>
>> At least you get it. You may not think it's all that good,
>> but then I'm a true amateur.

> A decent fisher, actually. Decent bait selection. Reasonable
> technique. Keep on posting,-- I'll take the bait when it strikes
> my fancy. %^P

Perhaps good enough to get into Peter's kill file, but not in yours it would
seem.

Wilson wrote:

> Perhaps good enough to get into Peter's kill file, but not in yours it
> would seem.

No, you have to be an unreconstructed waster on a long term basis like
Ed to get into my Bozo Bin. You don't come close to qualifying, you're
just not as clued in about risk as you may like to think.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Wilson" <[email protected]> wrote

> "Jon" <[email protected]> wrote
>> [Burt Reynolds movie]

> Tarantino admired the movie? Did he explain why or did he just leave it
> hanging there?

I recognized the reference and googled the title. I only then
recalled seeing it, from the plot synopsis. The Tarantino
interview where he mentions it was one of the first page hits
in my Google query.

> I take "it's been a long time since you last saw it" to mean
> you've seen it more than once.

If so, probably on broadcast TV.
Perhaps not by choice! %^)

> Have you ever known anyone who claimed BR was their
> favorite actor? Just wondering.

A friend of mine really likes his movies. _Smokey and the
Bandit_, stuff, not excepted.

>> A decent fisher, actually. Decent bait selection. Reasonable
>> technique. Keep on posting,-- I'll take the bait when it strikes
>> my fancy. %^P

> Perhaps good enough to get into Peter's kill file, but not in yours it
> would seem.

Peter has been around a long time. Seems to me he's just
intelligently selective in reponding.

Aspiring to be kill-filed is not the sign of a talented fisher
in my esteem. Being dumb, or playing it is just uninteresting.
Being abusive and destructive is unremarkable. Contributing
on topic posts is a plus.

In this case, I really am interested in why people, particularly
recumbent cyclists, think cycling is "dangerous" or not.

I've had upright bike riders, for instance, tell me they think
recumbents are dangerous. Often they base their assessment
on just having heard about them, or perhaps only have seen
a picture... Rarely have they ridden one, and even more
rarely, have they ridden several different types for any
significant distance.

The basis of their concern is often height of the rider:
"You can't see over traffic." I point out they can't see
over SUVs and pickups.

They sometimes say, "You can't jump curbs and you
can't do track stands." True, but neither can some
upright riders, and not jumping curbs or doing track
stands hasn't been a safety issue for me.

They say, "Recumbents are slow not maneuverable." I
point out that my BikeE turning radius is similar to
their upright and I can ride a straight line at speeds
from 3 to 30+ mph. I point out bikes aren't slow,
riders are. %^)

If they're sophisicated, they say, "You have less time
to react when you're going down (lower center of gravity)
and less 'body english' control". That's true. But I
have less distance to fall. %^) And falling in my
experience on a recumbent puts hips in place of
shoulder, arms, wrists and hands in road contact...

Then I ask, "Would you prefer to crash head first or
feet first into an obstacle?" The over the handlebars
experience seems pretty specific to upright riding.

Jon