bents and bike rack on buses

Ckeller

Guest
Hi all,

I'm currently riding my mountain bike to work. I ride part of the way on the bike and the rest by
bus. I'm looking to change to a recumbent bike but am concerned that the bike will not fit on the
bike rack on the bus. Hopefully the recumbent would make it possible to me to be more comfortable
than on the mtn bike so I can ride further. The mountain bike is hurting my wrists and hands even
with padded bike gloves. The only requirement I could find on the bus page is that the wheels must
be 20". Are there any bents frame type that will fit on the bike rack on a public buses?

Thank you.

Christy

"CKeller" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently riding my mountain bike to work. I ride part of the way on the bike and the rest by
> bus. I'm looking to change to a recumbent bike but am concerned that the bike will not fit on the
> bike rack on the bus. Hopefully the recumbent would make it possible to me to be more comfortable
> than on the mtn bike so I can ride further. The mountain bike is hurting my wrists and hands even
> with padded bike gloves. The only requirement I could find on the bus page is that the wheels must
> be 20". Are there any bents frame type that will fit on the bike rack on a public buses?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Christy

If the buses are using SportWorks racks, almost any SWB bike will fit.

> The only requirement I could find on the bus page is that the wheels must be 20". Are there any
> bents frame type that will fit on the bike rack on a public buses?

Christy, I ride to work on my trusty steed, a Vision R40. It is 20"/26" and fits quite well. I doubt
a Tour Easy would fit but maybe someone else knows? Take note of the type of securing device they
use. I am guessing that it may not work on all bents.

If I crash and/or break my bike I ride the bus. Or if my bum knee over-heats too much.

Why not stop at one of those transfer stations where the buses will be stationary for a few minutes,
and try it there?

Where do you live where the busses accommodate bikes? Amazing! The trains here will have a car (or a
section of a car) for bikes. I usually take my Brompton when using the train, but I've never seen a
rack on bus.

> >Where do you live where the busses accommodate bikes?

I live in Fresno, in central California. The State of California gives the pseudo-governmental
agency, the Air Pollution Control District, the authority to impose a fee for every automobile
registered in the state, to be used for projects that off-set air pollution. They offered a grant to
our bus dept of the City. We tried the idea, it works great, and I think we will shortly be getting
$money$ for a rack for the rear bumper of the buses. My wife worked for the air district and used to
administer the grant program. "She" also gave several million $ to the City to synchronize the
signal lights.

> Many transit authorities in North America equip their buses with the Sportracks (Lynnwood, WA)
> bike racks. The standard model holds just two bikes. A three bike model is currently being tested.
>
> Norm

Originally posted by Dh
Where do you live where the busses accommodate bikes? Amazing! The trains here will have a car (or a
section of a car) for bikes. I usually take my Brompton when using the train, but I've never seen a
rack on bus.

Hi Dh,
Here in AZ, our busses have a rack on the front that fits two bikes. Now that I'm buying a 'bent, I will have to find out if it will hold it. One bike passenger told me that if the rack is full, then they allow one more bike to ride inside the bus with the rider. So, if it doesn't fit, I guess I could do that. :)
Adea

adea <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Hi Dh, Here in AZ, our busses have a rack on the front that fits two bikes. Now that I'm buying a
> 'bent, I will have to find out if it will hold it. One bike passenger told me that if the rack is
> full, then they allow one more bike to ride inside the bus with the rider. So, if it doesn't fit,
> I guess I could do that. :) Adea

A friend of mine fits his Bikee on the front rack by turning the front wheel around. An EZ-1 might
fit in the same manner.

Jeff