UK and Europe · Public discussion

Vive la Tour de Lance!

Started by JCM · · Last activity · 45 posts · 1,390 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
24 July 2005
Last activity
31 July 2005
Original author
JCM
Posts
45
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,390
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–45 of 45
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Raptor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Now *that* is slow. (Typical up-mountain speed: 15 mph or less, no matter
    who you are, what time of year it is, or what you're on.)

    yep - under 15mph one year on the l'alpe d'huez time trial stage if I
    recall...

    G.

  2. Raptor said:
    Just zis Guy said:

    I am pretty much the fastest cyclist I know, riding round London these
    last few days not *one* cyclist has passed me and stayed in front.
    But Lance rides *up mountains* faster than I can ride on the flat!
    You just have no idea of the gulf between pro riders and us ordinary
    mortals!

    Guy

    Now *that* is slow. (Typical up-mountain speed: 15 mph or less, no
    matter who you are, what time of year it is, or what you're on.)


    I rmember France 2's JLG on the motorbike on one of the mountain stages
    being totally gobsmacked because the Disco tempo riders were going up
    the col at 40kph!
    :-(
    Dan Gregory

  3. Tony Raven said:
    Raptor said:
    Just zis Guy said:

    I am pretty much the fastest cyclist I know, riding round London these
    last few days not *one* cyclist has passed me and stayed in front.
    But Lance rides *up mountains* faster than I can ride on the flat!
    You just have no idea of the gulf between pro riders and us ordinary
    mortals!

    Guy

    Now *that* is slow. (Typical up-mountain speed: 15 mph or less, no
    matter who you are, what time of year it is, or what you're on.)

    Typical speeds are much faster than that. Alpe d'Huez is one of the
    toughest mountain climbs out there. It is a 9.6 mile climb through 21
    switchbacks. Armstrong completed it in 39min 42s for an average speed
    of 14.4mph. He does more normal mountain climbs a good deal faster than
    that.

    LANCE and his peers are good, but they do not defy gravity.

    There's no way I'd let anyone beat me over the same distance, if s/he
    was riding a, say, 5% or steeper slope, and I was on the flat.

    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall

    Conservative dictionary:
    Judicial Activist: n. A judge who tends to rule against your wishes.

  4. "Raptor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    LANCE and his peers are good, but they do not defy gravity.

    There's no way I'd let anyone beat me over the same distance, if s/he was
    riding a, say, 5% or steeper slope, and I was on the flat.

    Lynn, just out of curiosity have you EVER ridden with a real climber?

    I mean, the couple of climbers I knew never shifted out of the big ring on
    killer climbs. They went up so fast it was shocking to see.

  5. Tom Kunich said:

    "Raptor" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    LANCE and his peers are good, but they do not defy gravity.

    There's no way I'd let anyone beat me over the same distance, if s/he was
    riding a, say, 5% or steeper slope, and I was on the flat.

    Lynn, just out of curiosity have you EVER ridden with a real climber?

    I mean, the couple of climbers I knew never shifted out of the big ring on
    killer climbs. They went up so fast it was shocking to see.

    It would be pretty comical if I had. Pretty boring from my point of
    view, since I'd be dropped after the first k.

    But I can read numbers. In poor form, I can do 17 mph steady on the
    flat, in great form I'm in the 23 range. Yes, that puts me slightly
    behind Lance in the Alpe TT on his best form and my worst.

    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall

    Conservative dictionary:
    Judicial Activist: n. A judge who tends to rule against your wishes.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.