Since neither cyclingnews.com nor tdf.olntv.com list a finishing time for Meier, I expect that his
ride was not timed officially.
Anyone know an unofficial time?
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
Road Cycling · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
Since neither cyclingnews.com nor tdf.olntv.com list a finishing time for Meier, I expect that his
ride was not timed officially.
Anyone know an unofficial time?
From CyclingNews:
16:54 CEST We're still waiting for Herman Maier's time...The Austrian skier started in an
all-purple skinsuit, and looked a little uncomfortable on his TT bike, but punched the air as he
crossed the line.
"Carl Sundquist" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Since neither cyclingnews.com nor tdf.olntv.com list a finishing time for Meier, I expect that his
ride was not timed officially.Anyone know an unofficial time?
---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.comOpen ↗).
Version: 6.0.493 / Virus Database: 292 - Release Date: 6/25/2003
In article said:Since neither cyclingnews.com nor tdf.olntv.com list a finishing time for Meier, I expect that his
ride was not timed officially.Anyone know an unofficial time?
Unofficial time of 8:45. Eurosport's live comments had:
HERMANN MAIER: The Austrian skiing legend, on the comeback trail after a serious motorcycle
accident, told reporters after his prologue effort: "I'm fascinated by what they're capable of
doing for three weeks. After two minutes I was knackered, my heart was beating at 200 pulsations a
minute...It was an extraordinary experience, it was a fabulous atmosphere with the public. I'm very
moved." Maier clocked an unofficial time of 8:45, approximately one minute behind the average
cyclist. Not bad Hermann!!
The 'knackered after two minutes' part implies that he possibly did not train / race as effectively
as he might have.
Bob
So far the slowest time for an officail TDF rider has been 8:32 so it looks like Hermann better
stick to skies (or motorcycles).
"MrBob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
Quoted message said:HERMANN MAIER: The Austrian skiing legend, on the comeback trail after a serious motorcycle
accident, told reporters after his prologue effort: "I'm fascinated by what they're capable of
doing for three weeks. After two minutes I was knackered, my heart was beating at 200 pulsations
a minute...It was an extraordinary experience, it was a fabulous atmosphere with the public. I'm
very moved." Maier clocked an unofficial time of 8:45, approximately one minute behind the
average cyclist. Not bad Hermann!!The 'knackered after two minutes' part implies that he possibly did not train / race as
effectively as he might have.
Aren't most downhills events roughly two minutes long?
As you said, Maier probably didn't know how to pace properly for the prologue.
"MrBob" <[email hidden]> wrote
Quoted message said:The 'knackered after two minutes' part implies that he possibly did not
train / race as effectively as he might have.
I agree with the later part: race effectively. If he'd had a powermeter on I bet it would show that
he went out WAY to hard! Who wouldn't, given the excitment of the moment?
---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (grisoft.comgrisoft.comOpen ↗).
Version: 6.0.493 / Virus Database: 292 - Release Date: 6/25/2003
"Carl Sundquist" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Since neither cyclingnews.com nor tdf.olntv.com list a finishing time for Meier, I expect that his
ride was not timed officially.
Seems as if cyclingnews read your post as they've finally put it up on their live coverage.
BTW, be sure to send Herminator trolls to the skiing newsgroup also.
In article said:So far the slowest time for an officail TDF rider has been 8:32 so it looks like Hermann better
stick to skies (or motorcycles).
Maybe, but I would say that any athlete who can get within 15 seconds of the Lantern Rouge in the
prologue has real potential as a bike racer.
By my calculations, he averaged 45 km/h over the prologue distance. I wouldn't mind being able to
average 45 km/h over any distance.
--
Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] sfu.ca~rcousineOpen ↗ President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
"Carl Sundquist" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:Since neither cyclingnews.com nor tdf.olntv.com list a finishing time for Meier, I expect that his
ride was not timed officially.Anyone know an unofficial time?
the cyclingnews (yeah!) live service mentioned it in passing.
posted at 17:59...
For those interested, Hermann Maier's unofficial time in the prologue was 8'45 for the 6.5 km, a
respectable average speed of 44.6 km/h. So far, that puts him 13 seconds behind the slowest time of
Alessandro Bertolini (8'32).
and while on the subject of mere mortals.. i remember finishing the cat 1.2.3 mengoni (?) race in
the midddle of july the day after Indurain had done a TT of nearly equal distance at about 1/2 mph
*faster* by himself then the entire peleton was able to muster as a group!
patrick
[email hidden] (patrick) wrote in message
Quoted message said:i remember finishing the cat 1.2.3 mengoni (?) race in the midddle of july the day after Indurain
had done a TT of nearly equal distance at about 1/2 mph *faster* by himself then the entire
peleton was able to muster as a group!
Yes, EPO is the [censored].
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.