General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Adzuki [gesundheit!] beans for soup

Started by zxcvbob · · Last activity · 7 posts · 297 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 January 2006
Last activity
9 January 2006
Original author
zxcvbob
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
297
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a ham bone and ham scraps from a very good ham that I baked
    yesterday. They are simmering in a big pot of water right now. I want
    to make a pot of ham & bean soup, and the only dried beans I have are
    adzuki beans, blackeyed peas, and soybeans. The obvious choice is
    probably the blackeyed peas, but I don't like them enough to waste such
    a good ham bone on them. I *thought* I had a bag of pintos and a bag of
    black turtle beans, but I guess I used them up.

    Soybeans cooked as a soup are icky.

    How about the adzuki beans? I'm not sure why I bought them; I know in
    the Far East they are usually either fermented or sweetened to make
    desserts. Are they OK for making soup? Do they need to be soaked, or
    are they one of the few dried legumes that cooks without soaking (like
    lentils)?

    They look kind of like red mung beans.

    I know I ought to go to the store and buy a bag of pintos or limas or
    navy beans, but I'm trying to use up some of the stuff that's been in
    the pantry too long.

    Best regards,
    Bob

  2. "zxcvbob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a ham bone and ham scraps from a very good


    ham that I baked

    Quoted message said:

    yesterday. They are simmering in a big pot of


    water right now. I want

    Quoted message said:

    to make a pot of ham & bean soup, and the only


    dried beans I have are

    Quoted message said:

    adzuki beans, blackeyed peas, and soybeans. The


    obvious choice is

    Quoted message said:

    probably the blackeyed peas, but I don't like


    them enough to waste such

    Quoted message said:

    a good ham bone on them. I *thought* I had a bag


    of pintos and a bag of

    Quoted message said:

    black turtle beans, but I guess I used them up.

    Soybeans cooked as a soup are icky.

    How about the adzuki beans? I'm not sure why I


    bought them; I know in

    Quoted message said:

    the Far East they are usually either fermented or


    sweetened to make

    Quoted message said:

    desserts. Are they OK for making soup? Do they


    need to be soaked, or

    Quoted message said:

    are they one of the few dried legumes that cooks


    without soaking (like

    Quoted message said:

    lentils)?

    They look kind of like red mung beans.

    I know I ought to go to the store and buy a bag


    of pintos or limas or

    Quoted message said:

    navy beans, but I'm trying to use up some of the


    stuff that's been in

    Quoted message said:

    the pantry too long.

    Best regards,
    Bob

    Use the blackeyed peas. And don't forget to put in
    a piece of celery.

  3. On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:27:42 -0600, zxcvbob <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    How about the adzuki beans? I'm not sure why I bought them; I know in
    the Far East they are usually either fermented or sweetened to make
    desserts. Are they OK for making soup? Do they need to be soaked, or
    are they one of the few dried legumes that cooks without soaking (like
    lentils)?

    They need to be soaked, but they cook more quickly than a lot of
    beans. However, they're a little sweet in flavor, so I don't use them
    in soup.

    serene

  4. serene said:

    On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:27:42 -0600, zxcvbob <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    How about the adzuki beans? I'm not sure why I bought them; I know in
    the Far East they are usually either fermented or sweetened to make
    desserts. Are they OK for making soup? Do they need to be soaked, or
    are they one of the few dried legumes that cooks without soaking (like
    lentils)?

    They need to be soaked, but they cook more quickly than a lot of
    beans. However, they're a little sweet in flavor, so I don't use them
    in soup.

    serene

    I soaked a cup of them for a couple of hours in hot water and I have
    them cooking right now with some celery, onions, carrots, and ham broth.
    I think I used too much broth (too salty) so I'll probably need to add
    a diced red potato.

    What do you use them for?

    Thanks,
    Bob

  5. "serene" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:27:42 -0600, zxcvbob <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    How about the adzuki beans? I'm not sure why I bought them; I know in
    the Far East they are usually either fermented or sweetened to make
    desserts. Are they OK for making soup? Do they need to be soaked, or
    are they one of the few dried legumes that cooks without soaking (like
    lentils)?

    They need to be soaked, but they cook more quickly than a lot of
    beans. However, they're a little sweet in flavor, so I don't use them
    in soup.

    serene

    I don't soak the adzuki beans. They will cook in about 30 minutes. They
    are firm, but mealy when done. They taste a bit smokey. Measure 1 cup of
    water with about 1/3 cup of beans (no salt) bring to boil and simmer for 30
    minutes. Make some plain basmati or brown rice, if you wish. Spoon a
    little bit of yogurt on top of the beans or make a separate raita (yogurt
    with cucumber and some dried cumin). A good cleansing meal.
    Dee Dee

  6. On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 22:47:06 -0600, zxcvbob <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I soaked a cup of them for a couple of hours in hot water and I have
    them cooking right now with some celery, onions, carrots, and ham broth.
    I think I used too much broth (too salty)

    I never use salt in my beans until they're cooked as soft as I want
    them, because I find salt makes them take longer to soften, and
    sometimes they never do.

    Quoted message said:

    so I'll probably need to add
    a diced red potato.

    What do you use them for?

    Things that don't mind a little sweet -- curry, bean salads,
    sweet-and-sour dishes. They are also used in desserts, and I've had
    them several times that way, but I've never tried making anything like
    that. If you eat dim sum with a sweet red bean paste in it, that's
    probably adzuki.

    One of my very favorite ways to have adzuki beans is to toss the
    cooked beans with cold leftover rice, whatever veggies I have handy,
    and a vinaigrette. Man, that's yummy, and now I want some. :-)

    serene

  7. "Kathy" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "zxcvbob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I have a ham bone and ham scraps from a very good


    ham that I baked

    Quoted message said:

    yesterday. They are simmering in a big pot of


    water right now. I want

    Quoted message said:

    to make a pot of ham & bean soup, and the only


    dried beans I have are

    Quoted message said:

    adzuki beans, blackeyed peas, and soybeans. The


    obvious choice is

    Quoted message said:

    probably the blackeyed peas, but I don't like


    them enough to waste such

    Quoted message said:

    a good ham bone on them. I *thought* I had a bag


    of pintos and a bag of

    Quoted message said:

    black turtle beans, but I guess I used them up.

    Soybeans cooked as a soup are icky.

    How about the adzuki beans? I'm not sure why I


    bought them; I know in

    Quoted message said:

    the Far East they are usually either fermented or


    sweetened to make

    Quoted message said:

    desserts. Are they OK for making soup? Do they


    need to be soaked, or

    Quoted message said:

    are they one of the few dried legumes that cooks


    without soaking (like

    Quoted message said:

    lentils)?ù

    I use azuky beans in salad:only seasoned with oil, onions, black peppers and
    fresh parsley. They are very small and hard. So I wet them for a night.
    I don't think they are good for soup! With ham I would prefer bigger beans
    like Borlotti beans or black eye beans.

    Cheers
    Pandora

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.