I was going to ask this before, and then I saw the following quote today -
(snip) I just wish there would be some longer distance non-drafting events that had fairer swim
lengths. (Change of topic<g>!?) The ITU long distance races are closer to the Olympic Distance
proportions than IM distance proportions are but these races are few. Would be good to see more
middle distance races with proportionately longer swims (like Muskoka) otherwise the strong swimmers
will continue to gravitate towards draft-legal events where the swim (sometimes) can have more
impact. (snip)
I've long thought that tris heavily favor the run - proportionally, the longest leg is almost always
the run. Consider the last few tris we had in our town -
1. 200 yd swim, 6 mi bike, 5k run
2. 1/2 mi swi, 18 mi bike, 6.8 mi run I mean, these are hardly proportional! Yet, they seem to fit
the "average" race out there. If you want another way to view it, consider that in olympic
distance, most of the swimmers finish within 10 min of the fastest one, yet the time gap between
the runners will be MUCH greater. And sorry, 18mi bike doesn't even BEGIN to compare to a 6.8 mi
run! Personally, as a strong swimmer\cyclist and (at best) average runner, this is frustrating as
heck, and causes me to pick my races very carefully.
Why is this? I guess there are several reasons -
3. Most triathletes have a running background. To them, it may seem proportional, since they view a
10k the same way I view a 50mi ride - no big deal.
4. Most tris seem to be wedded to the IM proportions, but don't factor in the change in difficulty.
Swimming in a lake is nowhere NEAR as challenging as swimming in the Hawaiian surf, and your
all-too-usual flat bicycle course is a joke compared to the Hawaiian one. I understand that
Kansas isn't going to have much in the way of hills, but then why be so strictly proportional
most\all of the time? Why not make the distance more relative to the difficulty? I think it then
comes down to the next one -
5. Since most triathletes are good runners and not great swimmers, they favor the courses that
emphasize their skills. As a result, they gravitate to the events that have proportionally longer
runs, and event planners respond accordingly when they plan their course.
It's funny to see people complain that draft-legal events are bad because they favor the strong
runners when most non-draft events do the same thing!
OK, fire away!