[email hidden] (Niall Martin) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:(otto) said:"Damn it. They were sitting on my wheel a lot," Boogerd told Belgian television. "I went on La
Redoute, but it didn't force a real selection. Later on it was one breakaway after another, but I
didn't have any teammates (besides Freire). A good team left and I was with them."
Yes I heard that too. Last night however the chat show hosts, Barend and Van Dorp, were trying to
get him to lay into his team and Freire in particular for not giving him the support he deserves
but Boogerd was having none of it -- saying that Freire was with him to 7km from the finish at LBL
and his team delivered him as fresh as a daisy to the finale of Amstel.
Too bad i missed that. B and v D are usually OK. It surprises me that they'd try and get him to
criticize rabo. Anyway, Boogerd is an idiot, and an excruciating one at that. Why can't he break his
leg, or hip, or collar bone, or whatever Dekker did last year?
Quoted message said:When one of the other guests, Jan Mulder, said that everybody he knew thought there was nothing
much wrong with Rabo, but thought that, while Boogerd was a good rider he just didn't have what it
takes to win a major classic, Boogerd said he thought Mulder was probably right, certainly the
fault lay with him rather than his team. No motivation issue: "Ik was leeg".
Excuses, excuses. BTW - Mulder grates on my nerves. Never liked the guy, too much of a know it all.
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Boogerd really is a big, toothy ass. When he's not whining, he's crying, and when he's doing
neither, then he's doing a virenque in front of the TV cameras.
Quoted message said:As I recall, postal did not chase him last year (which they could have done), and at the time
belgian TV said something to the effect that postal was letting him go, and that rabo would help
them later on in the race (or maybe it was payback for helping chase a move a few days before?).
Great though Belgian TV is, and incomparably better than the Dutch, it's not infallible. After
all, they couldn't believe that LANCE hadn't won LBL on Saturday and had great difficulty
belivieving that the break wasn't going to be brought back in the Fleche on Weds.
I'll more or less agree with that. Dutch coverage bores me to tears. They're way to Boogerd centric
(he's an Ok racer, but nothing special. If he was italian or spanish he'd be virtually anoymous.
It's just dutch pride, or attempts to bolster it.
Quoted message said:There's also a fair degree of Bruyneelitis in Belgian commentary coupled with some familiar
Flemish-Dutch chauvinsim, so the word of Wuyts alone doesn't entirely convince me of the reality
of the USPS scenario.
How about dutch TV come tour time. Mart Smeets is always trying to get lance to spew out his
basic dutch:
Smeets: so lance you speak dutch, don't you? Lance: uhh . . . leuken neuken in de keuken!
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:
As far as Lnace not winning any grand mountains: what was Siestres, or Alpe d'Huez?
I don't know. As I say, my viewing of the second half of last yr's tour was patchy and inebriated
(to the extent of mistaking Alpe d'Huez for La Plagne), but I take it Ewoud means that LANCE only
attacks on the last climb in order to minimize the risk of blowing up a, la Joux-Plane. Did either
of these two wins involve attacking before the last climb?
I think Edwoud covered that, and I'll have to agree. I don't think we'll see a tour winner pull off
those kind of moves in the foreseeable future.
groetjes terug
Otto
Quoted message said:groetjes,
Niall