Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Where are the inexpensive steel bikes?

Started by Tai · · Last activity · 42 posts · 2,625 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 June 2004
Last activity
24 June 2004
Original author
Tai
Posts
42
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,625
Views / 30 days
10

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 42
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I bought a Marin steel - ok, Thron cro-mo - road bike a few years ago
    and notice Marin now have aluminum road bikes, at least at the
    low-end. Looking at other bike makes, the selection of cro-mo road
    bikes under $1K is getting smaller. I know aluminum bikes are a
    little lighter, but are consumers making the choice to go to alum
    and/or the makers finding alum bikes more profitable?

    Wondering where steel bikes are going,
    Tai

    P.S. I wasn't really asking for the pros and cons of steel vs.
    aluminum, but more about market and consumer, um, dynamics at the
    low-end of bike sales. :-)

  2. (Tai) said:

    I bought a Marin steel - ok, Thron cro-mo - road bike a few years ago
    and notice Marin now have aluminum road bikes, at least at the
    low-end. Looking at other bike makes, the selection of cro-mo road
    bikes under $1K is getting smaller. I know aluminum bikes are a
    little lighter, but are consumers making the choice to go to alum
    and/or the makers finding alum bikes more profitable?

    Wondering where steel bikes are going,

    It's important to note that the mass market is concentrating on the
    mountain bike, cruiser, youth and comfort segments today. Road bikes
    are entirely absent from the selections at many major
    non-bike-centered retailers. Even some sporting goods stores have
    stopped carrying them. As a result, there are few road bikes in the
    low-end segment; for a limited market that's perceived as being
    esoteric, the selections of materials tends to edge away from what's
    regarded as less desirable...and steel is out of fashion for most
    types of "real" bikes. It's largely relegated to tandems and the
    lowest-end units at Wal-Mart and similar places. Many custom frame
    builders still make excellent steel frames, though, and in my opinion,
    steel is still the material of choice for a long-term durable bike.

  3. (Tai) said:

    I bought a Marin steel - ok, Thron cro-mo - road bike a few years ago
    and notice Marin now have aluminum road bikes, at least at the
    low-end. Looking at other bike makes, the selection of cro-mo road
    bikes under $1K is getting smaller. I know aluminum bikes are a
    little lighter, but are consumers making the choice to go to alum
    and/or the makers finding alum bikes more profitable?

    Wondering where steel bikes are going,
    Tai

    P.S. I wasn't really asking for the pros and cons of steel vs.
    aluminum, but more about market and consumer, um, dynamics at the
    low-end of bike sales. :-)

    Surly
    Soma
    Interloc/IRD
    Jamis?
    Fuji?

    Steel isn't common in the mainstream, but on the edges there are
    low(er) priced steel frames and complete bicycles which aren't custom.
    If these companies grow, you can be sure the large ones will notice
    and make steel frames at the low end.

    Not a road bike, but...

    http://www.marinbikes.com/html/spec_04_muirwoods.html

    Others like that scattered around.

    By the way, why the 'ok, Thron cro-mo' aside? Something about Thron I
    should know? I picked up a DeBernardi Thron frame last winter for
    almost nothing and am enjoying it. Is it not real steel or something?
    🙂

  4. Dan Daniel <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    By the way, why the 'ok, Thron cro-mo' aside? Something about Thron I
    should know? I picked up a DeBernardi Thron frame last winter for
    almost nothing and am enjoying it. Is it not real steel or something?
    🙂

    I'm very happy with my Thron frame Marin, too. The aside was meant to
    show by steel I meant cromoly.

  5. taimorris-<< I know aluminum bikes are a
    little lighter, but are consumers making the choice to go to alum
    and/or the makers finding alum bikes more profitable? >><BR><BR>

    Aluminum, when compared to steel, is cheaper and easier to weld together, hence
    the proliferation of aluminum.

    Specialized has a Foco frameset/fork for about $500..look for that.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  6. Quoted message said:

    Aluminum, when compared to steel, is cheaper and easier to weld together,
    hence
    the proliferation of aluminum.

    Specialized has a Foco frameset/fork for about $500..look for that.

    To expand on Peter's post-wasn't he a bike rider?-you can buy an aluminium
    frame and fork from China for about $25. That's why there are no new
    inexpensive steel bikes. But the used bike market is full of very nice steel
    bikes at reasonable prices. And there are builders who make custom steel frames
    for $600 or $700 dollars as long as you don't want lugs or fancy paint.
    Phil Brown

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Tai) said:

    I bought a Marin steel - ok, Thron cro-mo - road bike a few years ago
    and notice Marin now have aluminum road bikes, at least at the
    low-end. Looking at other bike makes, the selection of cro-mo road
    bikes under $1K is getting smaller. I know aluminum bikes are a
    little lighter, but are consumers making the choice to go to alum
    and/or the makers finding alum bikes more profitable?

    Aluminum has almost no price disadvantage over steel now, for various
    mass-production reasons. Since an Al frame can usually be made a little
    lighter*, all but the very cheapest new bicycles default to Aluminum.
    And since some of the most expensive and lightest bikes are also made of
    Al, you get some cachet rubbing off on your "7005 ALUMINUM" Wal-bike.

    Quoted message said:

    Wondering where steel bikes are going,
    Tai

    They're just resting. I have been known to pay as much as $10 for a
    complete lugged road bike at a garage sale. I grabbed a half-decent 70s
    vintage Italian lugged frame out of a pile of garbage last week; I don't
    even know what I'm going to do with it, since it's pretty but I have
    lots of steel frames already.

    Unless you have some very specific reasons for it (you want a special
    geometry or it's the cheapest way to get the components you want), I
    don't see a keen need to buy a new steel frame. If I was willing to
    spend a few hours looking, I could probably bring home a decent-quality
    lugged steel road frame every weekend, in most cases as complete 25-year
    old bike, for $10 or less. Modern steel, especially in welded,
    non-lugged frames, might have a slight weight advantage, but it's on the
    order of a pound at most. I ride a mid-range Pinarello with indifferent
    (105, Sora) componentry, and it weighs only 22 pounds all in.

    Quoted message said:

    P.S. I wasn't really asking for the pros and cons of steel vs.
    aluminum, but more about market and consumer, um, dynamics at the
    low-end of bike sales. :-)

    The Taiwanese factories are very good at aluminum fabrication, and the
    price difference between raw steel and raw Al is not high. All the
    economic forces push towards defaulting to Al. Only very cheap (and
    mostly children's) bikes now use steel on the low end of the market. At
    the high end, you get into custom fabrication or companies marketing the
    cachet and positive attributes (repairability, beauty, magnets stick to
    it, etc.) of high-end steel construction. The middle is owned by Al.

    *I have a theory that whatever the relative merits of steel and Al for
    road frames, mountain bikes have a heavy natural bias towards aluminum
    because an Al frame built strongly enough to have a reasonable fatigue
    life will also be able to take relatively high one-time loads. By
    comparison, steel construction means not worrying about the fatigue life
    (which can be assumed to be nearly infinite if you don't exceed the
    yield strength), but that means you are building a bike with a lower
    ultimate tensile strength in the places where bike frames can fail. Road
    bikes don't get into a lot of super-high-load situations unless they're
    being crashed, but mountain bikes tend to get jumped, crashed, and
    dropped routinely. Does that make sense?

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/
    President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  8. An Al frame built strongly enough to take high one-time loads or
    reasonable fatique life will weigh close to or just as much as a
    similarly strong steel frame, no? One could argue road bikes have more
    of a bias for Al because there's no need to make them strong enough
    for one-time loads and while their fatigue life may not be as long as
    steel, it's long enough for the vast majority of riders at the low-end
    and mid-range.

    Regardless, I was curious because 3 of my and my wife's 4 bikes are
    steel (2 Gary Fisher mtn hardtails and 1 Marin road) and thought maybe
    there's been some recent development with Al that made my bikes
    obsolete, seeing as how fewer and fewer are offered. Apparently, my
    worries are unfounded and maybe I should count myself lucky to have
    fully capable steel bikes that are getting rarer.

    Tai

    Ryan Cousineau <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    ...
    *I have a theory that whatever the relative merits of steel and Al for
    road frames, mountain bikes have a heavy natural bias towards aluminum
    because an Al frame built strongly enough to have a reasonable fatigue
    life will also be able to take relatively high one-time loads. By
    comparison, steel construction means not worrying about the fatigue life
    (which can be assumed to be nearly infinite if you don't exceed the
    yield strength), but that means you are building a bike with a lower
    ultimate tensile strength in the places where bike frames can fail. Road
    bikes don't get into a lot of super-high-load situations unless they're
    being crashed, but mountain bikes tend to get jumped, crashed, and
    dropped routinely. Does that make sense?

  9. "Tai" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I know aluminum bikes are a
    little lighter, but are consumers making the choice to go to alum
    and/or the makers finding alum bikes more profitable?

    Since weight is an important issue in bicycles, it's obvious to even the
    unsophisticated buyer that aluminum is a better material for bike frames than
    steel. Steel only continues to appeal to traditionalists.

    Quoted message said:

    Wondering where steel bikes are going,

    Away.

  10. Peter-<< Since weight is an important issue in bicycles, it's obvious to even
    the
    unsophisticated buyer that aluminum is a better material for bike frames than
    steel. Steel only continues to appeal to traditionalists. >><BR><BR>

    "Better' is a big word. If a frameset is lighter..it is just 'lighter', not
    better. Thery are more than a few drawbacks to really light aluminum, just like
    light steel, like longevity.

    An aluminum frameset that is made to last weighs about the same as a steel
    frameset that is built to last. All from 3.2 to about 3.6 pounds for the
    frameset. Is there sub 3 pound aluminum framesets out there? Sure, at $2500 per
    that will not last 3 years.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com
    "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  11. Peter Cole said:

    Since weight is an important issue in bicycles, it's obvious to even the
    unsophisticated buyer that aluminum is a better material for bike frames
    than steel.


    I completely disagree. There are also lightweight steel frames btw.

    Quoted message said:

    Steel only continues to appeal to traditionalists.


    Yeah, right.......................some pro riders also want to ride steel
    frames. I saw some frames of Tour de France bikes that were stell frames
    painted in the same colours as the alu bikes of their teammates.

    Greets, Derk

  12. If you like Thron you should really try Navicrome !!!! Who says steel
    bikes can't be light. A Navicrome frame weighs less then a low end
    Aluminum frame and only a few ounces more then a high end Aluminum
    frame. With its ovalized down tube its both stiff a forgiving.

    I got my frame from vailcycleworks.com
    I bought a full blown custom MTB for less then a off the rack upper end
    bike--JJ

  13. "Peter Cole" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:pjABc.89731$Sw.66939@attbi_s51...

    Quoted message said:

    "Tai" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I know aluminum bikes are a
    little lighter, but are consumers making the choice to go to alum
    and/or the makers finding alum bikes more profitable?

    Since weight is an important issue in bicycles, it's obvious to even the
    unsophisticated buyer that aluminum is a better material for bike frames


    than

    Quoted message said:

    steel. Steel only continues to appeal to traditionalists.

    Quoted message said:

    Wondering where steel bikes are going,

    Away.

    Troll...

  14. Peter Cole said:

    Since weight is an important issue in bicycles, it's obvious to even the
    unsophisticated buyer that aluminum is a better material for bike frames than
    steel. Steel only continues to appeal to traditionalists.

    I would say that it's only the unsophisticated buyer who thinks that
    Al is a better material than steel.

    "The difference between Columbus Altec 2 (Al) and regular Columbus
    Foco (steel) for the same size frame, designed for the same rider,
    is about 60 grams. Let me repeat - 60 grams. Want to lay money on
    which one lasts longer?", Anvil Bike Works, "The Frame Weight Wars"

    http://www.anvilbikes.com/story.php?news_ID=16&catID=3

    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

  15. "Terry Morse" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Peter Cole said:

    Since weight is an important issue in bicycles, it's obvious to even the
    unsophisticated buyer that aluminum is a better material for bike frames


    than

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    steel. Steel only continues to appeal to traditionalists.

    I would say that it's only the unsophisticated buyer who thinks that
    Al is a better material than steel.

    "The difference between Columbus Altec 2 (Al) and regular Columbus
    Foco (steel) for the same size frame, designed for the same rider,
    is about 60 grams. Let me repeat - 60 grams. Want to lay money on
    which one lasts longer?", Anvil Bike Works, "The Frame Weight Wars"

    http://www.anvilbikes.com/story.php?news_ID=16&catID=3

    Based on the only published frame fatigue tests I've seen, I'll lay my money
    on the Al ones.

  16. ask the guys at the flea market
    then rebuild to stage 3

  17. "Ryan Cousineau" <[email hidden]> wrote >

    Quoted message said:

    . All the
    economic forces push towards defaulting to Al. Only very cheap (and
    mostly children's) bikes now use steel on the low end of the market. At
    the high end, you get into custom fabrication or companies marketing the
    cachet and positive attributes (repairability, beauty, magnets stick to
    it, etc.) of high-end steel construction. The middle is owned by Al.

    You're leaving out Ti and CF, the latter is the undisputed strength to weight
    champ.

    Quoted message said:

    *I have a theory that whatever the relative merits of steel and Al for
    road frames, mountain bikes have a heavy natural bias towards aluminum
    because an Al frame built strongly enough to have a reasonable fatigue
    life will also be able to take relatively high one-time loads.

    I think there is some truth to this, but the real reason Al dominates the MTB
    market is that those buyers aren't carrying the weight of tradition.

  18. On 21 Jun 2004 12:47:58 GMT, [email hidden] (Qui si parla

    Campagnolo ) said:

    An aluminum frameset that is made to last weighs about the same as a steel
    frameset that is built to last. All from 3.2 to about 3.6 pounds for the
    frameset. Is there sub 3 pound aluminum framesets out there? Sure, at $2500 per
    that will not last 3 years.

    Peter Chisholm

    The all-aluminum Trek 2300 frame weighs less than 3 pounds and has a
    lifetime warranty. It's also less than the $2500 you quote; the whole
    bike goes for about $2000.

    http://www.google.com/groups?selm=22e6f2e6.0210181308.757a2b21%40posting.google.com&output=gplain

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/2yvy4

  19. "Peter Cole" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<ZJEBc.127959$3x.7769@attbi_s54>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Terry Morse" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Peter Cole said:

    Since weight is an important issue in bicycles, it's obvious to even the
    unsophisticated buyer that aluminum is a better material for bike frames


    than

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    steel. Steel only continues to appeal to traditionalists.

    I would say that it's only the unsophisticated buyer who thinks that
    Al is a better material than steel.

    "The difference between Columbus Altec 2 (Al) and regular Columbus
    Foco (steel) for the same size frame, designed for the same rider,
    is about 60 grams. Let me repeat - 60 grams. Want to lay money on
    which one lasts longer?", Anvil Bike Works, "The Frame Weight Wars"

    http://www.anvilbikes.com/story.php?news_ID=16&catID=3

    Based on the only published frame fatigue tests I've seen, I'll lay my money
    on the Al ones.

    True. When you look at the EFBE frame fatigue tests posted by Damon
    Rinard, now on Sheldon Brown's website, the much maligned Cannondale,
    Principia aluminum, and equally maligned Trek OCLV were the only ones
    to withstand the tests. The Merlin titanium, lugged steel bikes, etc.
    all broke. Very odd and unsettling how perception and reality don't
    always agree. Or even rarely agree.

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/EFBe/frame_fatigue_test.htm

  20. dianne_1234 said:

    The all-aluminum Trek 2300 frame weighs less than 3 pounds and has a
    lifetime warranty.

    lifetime warranty != built to last. Could Trek be betting that the
    typical lifetime of a bike is about 500 miles, if that much? Most
    riders never wear out their tires, no to mention the frame.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://bike.terrymorse.com/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.