Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Where a Mt Buffalo's sticky roads when you need them

Started by giantvaude · · Last activity · 8 posts · 797 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
13 February 2006
Last activity
13 February 2006
Original author
giantvaude
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
797
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Following on from my recent unexplained crash......

    I had only riden about 1k when I went to make a turn that I have done many times before. Perhaps a little fast, perhaps not concentrating as much as I should, the front wheel went from under me and I hit the road big-time. Unfortunately I hit the road and didn't slide. I have very little grazing to show for the crash, only a fractured femur and another crack near the hip joint....

    I think I have now discovered the reason. I have a long serving Michelin ProRacer tyre on my front wheel (>10,000 k's) which I had been considering I should change, but as it had never had a flat, never did. The other day I inspected my bike carefully for the first time since the stack, and discovered that the two bands of rubber that sit on either side of the very middle portion of my front tyre are like hard, polished rubber...they are very very firm and very slippery.....to the degree that I can easily imagine them losing grip when cornering on a smooth surface (especially painted road markings). I had not noticed this of the tyre previously, and can only imagine that the surface temperatures at this years AAC (it was rather hot, in case you've not heard) had somehow altered the condition of my aging tyre. I'm happier now I have found a reasonable reason for the crash......now only 5 weeks and 1 tyre away from riding (carefully!) again.

    Pat

  2. giantvaude said:

    I think I have now discovered the reason. I have a long serving Michelin ProRacer tyre on my front wheel (>10,000 k's) which I had been considering I should change,

    wowa.. these things are cheap items.. and they can mean the difference btwn life and death..

    I change tyres more than I change undies...

    cheers,
    GPL

  3. On 2006-02-13, gplama (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:


    giantvaude said:

    I think I have now discovered the reason. I have a long serving Michelin
    ProRacer tyre on my front wheel (>10,000 k's) which I had been
    considering I should change,

    wowa.. these things are cheap items.. and they can mean the difference
    btwn life and death..

    I change tyres more than I change undies...

    So next time you turn up to BR with the same tires as last time,
    you'll just claim you have been wearing knicks the whole time?

    --
    TimC
    Er, RFC 882 put the dot in .com.

  4. giantvaude said:

    Following on from my recent unexplained crash......

    I had only riden about 1k when I went to make a turn that I have done
    many times before. Perhaps a little fast, perhaps not concentrating as
    much as I should, the front wheel went from under me and I hit the road
    big-time. Unfortunately I hit the road and didn't slide. I have very
    little grazing to show for the crash, only a fractured femur and
    another crack near the hip joint....

    I think I have now discovered the reason. I have a long serving
    Michelin ProRacer tyre on my front wheel (>10,000 k's)

    10,000km out of a Michelin pro race?

    and it wasn't worn through the tube, the rim and half way along your
    spokes?

  5. gplama said:
    giantvaude said:

    I think I have now discovered the reason. I have a long serving Michelin
    ProRacer tyre on my front wheel (>10,000 k's) which I had been
    considering I should change,

    wowa.. these things are cheap items.. and they can mean the difference
    btwn life and death..

    I change tyres more than I change undies...

    cheers,
    GPL

    The only time that undies need to be changed/washed, is when you can
    throw them against a wall and they stick.

  6. Sir Lex said:


    The only time that undies need to be changed/washed, is when you can
    throw them against a wall and they stick.

    Bollocks. It's when they're so heavy with crusty winnits that they no
    longer stick and start falling off (and taking paint with them) that
    they're due a wash.

  7. Sir Lex said:

    The only time that undies need to be changed/washed, is when you can
    throw them against a wall and they stick.

    Wastrel! Those of us who *really* know how to save on washing wait until
    they can stick to the ceiling. Walls, pah, light weight!

    Graeme

  8. Bleve said:
    giantvaude said:


    I think I have now discovered the reason. I have a long serving
    Michelin ProRacer tyre on my front wheel (>10,000 k's)

    10,000km out of a Michelin pro race?

    and it wasn't worn through the tube, the rim and half way along your
    spokes?

    the only expanation, constant wheelieing.

    Andre

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.