Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Road bike + unsealed road

Started by Brad Hubbard · · Last activity · 9 posts · 510 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
9 August 2004
Last activity
10 August 2004
Original author
Brad Hubbard
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
510
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Just after some opinions.

    I have a favourite ride at the moment that include approx 1-1.5 km of
    unsealed (gravel) road. I have no problems riding over this every other day
    in terms of comfort but would like to know the pros and cons of such an
    exercise. Whilst I try to stay on the smoothest portion of the road there's
    still a bit of "juddering" as I traverse this section. What are peoples
    thoughts on potential long term damage to the bike/tyres/knees etc. or am I
    worrying too much?

    Thanks in advance,
    Brad

  2. Brad Hubbard said:

    Just after some opinions.

    I have a favourite ride at the moment that include approx 1-1.5 km of
    unsealed (gravel) road. I have no problems riding over this every other day
    in terms of comfort but would like to know the pros and cons of such an
    exercise. Whilst I try to stay on the smoothest portion of the road there's
    still a bit of "juddering" as I traverse this section. What are peoples
    thoughts on potential long term damage to the bike/tyres/knees etc. or am I
    worrying too much?

    Thanks in advance,
    Brad

    If my experience is anything to go by, you don't have anything to worry about. Dirt roads tend to have more rocks, so you have bigger chance of a puncture if you're using narrow tyres. Narrow tyres also give you less grip in the dirt so that a sudden change in direction could leave you on the floor.

    Ritch

  3. Quoted message said:

    Brad Hubbard
    I have a favourite ride at the moment that include approx 1-1.5 km
    of unsealed (gravel) road. What are peoples thoughts on potential
    long term damage to the bike/tyres/knees etc. or am I worrying
    too much?

    It would have to be pretty rough to do anything bad to you or the bike.
    I ride my expensive road bike over unsealed roads occasionally and
    wouldn't hesitate to do it more. Assuming you don't hit large potholes it should be totally fine. I'm 100kg's... properly built road wheels are tough
    man! 🙂

    hippy

  4. hippy said:

    >Brad Hubbard

    Quoted message said:

    I have a favourite ride at the moment that include approx 1-1.5 km
    of unsealed (gravel) road. What are peoples thoughts on potential
    long term damage to the bike/tyres/knees etc. or am I worrying
    too much?

    It would have to be pretty rough to do anything bad to you or the bike.
    I ride my expensive road bike over unsealed roads occasionally and
    wouldn't hesitate to do it more. Assuming you don't hit large potholes it should be totally fine. I'm 100kg's... properly built road wheels are tough
    man! 🙂

    hippy

    I'm thinking of getting a new full carbon fibre bike. I'm a bit concerend about stones kicking up from my bike (and that of other riders) and nicking my frame. I can't imagine stones doing to much damage to compromise frame strength but I was wondering about other people's opinions or experiences.

  5. hippy said:


    Quoted message said:

    Brad Hubbard
    I have a favourite ride at the moment that include approx 1-1.5 km
    of unsealed (gravel) road. What are peoples thoughts on potential
    long term damage to the bike/tyres/knees etc. or am I worrying
    too much?

    It would have to be pretty rough to do anything bad to you or the
    bike.
    I ride my expensive road bike over unsealed roads occasionally and
    wouldn't hesitate to do it more. Assuming you don't hit large potholes
    it should be totally fine. I'm 100kg's... properly built road wheels
    are tough
    man! 🙂

    How about the tyres Hippy?

    Would the potential for damage to the tyres be prohibitive? The cost of
    tyres is non-trivial, at least to me ;-)

    Cheers,
    Brad

  6. Quoted message said:

    Brad Hubbard

    Quoted message said:

    hippy wrote:
    It would have to be pretty rough to do anything bad to you or the
    bike.
    I ride my expensive road bike over unsealed roads occasionally and
    wouldn't hesitate to do it more. Assuming you don't hit large potholes
    it should be totally fine. I'm 100kg's... properly built road wheels
    are tough man! 🙂

    How about the tyres Hippy?

    I have much more trouble with glass than with rocks. If you can pick a
    good line whilst off the road you shouldn't have much more of an issue
    than road riding. It will depend, of course, on the surface, your speed,
    your weight and your abillity to pick a good line through any potentially
    sharp rocks. So long as you can dodge or unweight the bike over the
    really sharp stuff you should be fine. Try it for a while and collect some
    puncture stats 🙂

    Is it mostly dirt with a few rocks or lots of rocks? Unsealed "roads" are
    still usually pretty smooth and you'll only puncture if you hit a sharp
    edge somewhere.

    hippy

  7. hippy said:

    I have much more trouble with glass than with rocks. If you can pick a

    good line whilst off the road you shouldn't have much more of an issue

    than road riding. It will depend, of course, on the surface, your
    speed,
    your weight and your abillity to pick a good line through any
    potentially
    sharp rocks.

    In combination with my ability to remain upright whilst doing the eight
    basic balletic movements right? :-P

    Quoted message said:

    So long as you can dodge or unweight the bike over the
    really sharp stuff you should be fine. Try it for a while and collect
    some
    puncture stats 🙂

    OK, I'm a believer, so far punctures = 0 after several weeks riding this
    particular route. I will let peoples know if I have dramas.

    Cheers,
    Brad

  8. Brad Hubbard said:

    Just after some opinions.


    I have a favourite ride at the moment that include approx 1-1.5 km of
    unsealed (gravel) road. I have no problems riding over this every other day in terms of comfort but would like to know the pros and cons of such an exercise. Whilst I try to stay on the smoothest portion of the road there's still a bit of "juddering" as I traverse this section. What are peoples thoughts on potential long term damage to the bike/tyres/knees etc. or am I worrying too much?

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks in advance,
    Brad

    I ride a lot of gravel roads on a very expensive bike (Hand made Titanium) and never had much trouble with punctures. I personally use
    Armadillo tyres but they are expensive and a bit heavy, but real puncture resistant. The biggest thing about going reasonably fast on gravel is balance, it is a bit like riding cobbles in Europe, you select the biggest gear you can handle and put as much weight over the centre of the bike as you can and keep even power on ALL THE TIME.
    It seems to me that every time you slow, stop pedalling or brake, off you come, at least I seem to.
    The forward lean may look a bit queer, but if you are not balanced, you will hit the deck. And you really do get real gravel rash. I have yet to hurt my bike and I do use it on some real bad gravel roads.
    I find that if the road is completely covered with loose gravel you can still steer the bike if you keep a steady power on and by leaning forward a bit (Not too much) the front will turn quite well. The main problem is that you half expect the front not to respond and end up turning too quickly and then the back comes around, and I am yet to respond to that senario quickly enough to know how get away with it.
    Hope this helps
    Ro.

  9. Ro said:

    Hope this helps Ro.

    It's all good.

    Thanks,
    Brad

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.