Are the $100 devices actually usable?
-----------------------
PeteCresswell
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
Wheelsmith Tensionometer $100 vs others at $300-400?
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Equipment
- Published
- 1 September 2003
- Last activity
- 14 September 2003
- Original author
- x
- Posts
- 8
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 1,011
- Views / 30 days
- 6
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
I've always used my sense of touch and hearing. They've never failed me and they're free.
May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris
Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": geocities.comczcornerOpen ↗
-
yes. just as usable as a $50 park tensiometer.
jb
-
Chris Zacho The Wheelman said:
I've always used my sense of touch and hearing. They've never failed me and they're free.
May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris
Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": geocities.comczcornerOpen ↗
But, until you gain that sense of touch and feeling, you need technology
🙂. And, I've found that "touch and feel" of some LBS wheel builders
isn't very good (not intending to imply anything about your ability -- just that it's subjective).I use pitch to get even spoke tension. As I proceed, I use my WheelSmith on a couple of spokes to
check to see how close I am to full tension. When I think I'm about done, I check a lot of spokes to
make sure that I'm really evenly tensioned.For me, it works great. I've never had the option of comparing it to an expensive tensiometer to see
how accurate it is.David
-
Pete-<< Are the $100 devices actually usable? >><BR><BR>
Sure, work fine and last a long time(Wheelsmith) but the DT one is the Porsche of tensionometers...
Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.comOpen ↗ "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene" -
yes they are but they are probably not necessary at any price. You don't have to measure every spoke
anyway, it's just for sampling and getting a general trend. "(Pete Cresswell)" <[email hidden]> wrote in
message "]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Are the $100 devices actually usable?
-----------------------
PeteCresswell -
The Wheelsmith tensiometer works well enough. It is calibrated for specific spokes and comes with a
calibration chart. I used on one on and off for a while, but for an experienced builder I doubt the
usefullness. Wheelsmiths approach is that uniformity of tension is far more important than absolute
tension. So their gauge is a real fast, usable way to get the spokes evenly ( within reason)
tensioned and uniform. Other gauges are far slower to use, and I'm sure more accurate as far as
absolute tension goes. If you ever talk witht he Hjertbergs about wheelbuilding-they always feel a
good builder should be fast as well accurate. Their gauge is certainly fast. Accurate enough for
most and readily available. -
Bikefixr-<< but for an experienced builder I doubt the usefullness. >><BR><BR>
I use one after 18 years of wheelbuilding and...how many wheels I don't know-2400 or so in the last
6 years, when I started kepping records.bikefixr<< Wheelsmiths approach is that uniformity of tension is far more important than absolute
tension. >><BR><BR>Check their wheels lately?? Not true, round, tensioned ..probably not stress relieved. If you want a
giggle, call them and reference the build number...Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.comOpen ↗ "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.