Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

What to do about squiling v-brakes

Started by Anton Depenbrock · · Last activity · 12 posts · 755 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
30 March 2006
Last activity
2 April 2006
Original author
Anton Depenbrock
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
755
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Does anybody know what to do about squiling xt v-brakes.
    I have tried almost everything like new V-brakes, new brakepads
    (XTR, koolstop BBB-tricompount), adjusting the angle between the
    brakepads and the rim and replacing the rims. Nothing helped preventing
    the brakes to squile.

    Rgrds Anton

  2. Anton Depenbrock said:

    Does anybody know what to do about squiling xt v-brakes.
    I have tried almost everything like new V-brakes, new brakepads
    (XTR, koolstop BBB-tricompount), adjusting the angle between the
    brakepads and the rim and replacing the rims. Nothing helped preventing
    the brakes to squile.

    Rgrds Anton

    Earplugs?

    /s

  3. Scott Gordo said:
    Anton Depenbrock said:

    Does anybody know what to do about squiling xt v-brakes.
    I have tried almost everything like new V-brakes, new brakepads
    (XTR, koolstop BBB-tricompount), adjusting the angle between the
    brakepads and the rim and replacing the rims. Nothing helped preventing
    the brakes to squile.

    Rgrds Anton

    Earplugs?

    I was thinking that swiching to discs might be a better option.

    What year are those squealing XTs? 1999?

    JD

  4. "Anton Depenbrock" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does anybody know what to do about squiling xt v-brakes.
    I have tried almost everything like new V-brakes, new brakepads
    (XTR, koolstop BBB-tricompount), adjusting the angle between the
    brakepads and the rim and replacing the rims. Nothing helped preventing
    the brakes to squile.

    Rgrds Anton

    I'd squeal too if I wanted to retire but had to keep working.......

    Drew

  5. Clean rims,pads and toe the pads. And replace them dame XTR with Kool
    Stop or Avid.

  6. The XT-brakes are from 2001, what is the problem when they were from 1999?

    Anton

    "JD" <[email hidden]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Scott Gordo said:
    Anton Depenbrock said:

    Does anybody know what to do about squiling xt v-brakes.
    I have tried almost everything like new V-brakes, new brakepads
    (XTR, koolstop BBB-tricompount), adjusting the angle between the
    brakepads and the rim and replacing the rims. Nothing helped preventing
    the brakes to squile.

    Rgrds Anton

    Earplugs?

    I was thinking that swiching to discs might be a better option.

    What year are those squealing XTs? 1999?

    JD

  7. Anton Depenbrock said:

    Does anybody know what to do about squiling xt v-brakes.
    I have tried almost everything like new V-brakes, new brakepads
    (XTR, koolstop BBB-tricompount), adjusting the angle between the
    brakepads and the rim and replacing the rims. Nothing helped preventing
    the brakes to squile.

    Rgrds Anton

    Those brakes were well-known for squealing. IMO, the best way to shut
    them up is to unbolt them, dig a hole in your backyard, put them in the
    hole, then cover them with dirt.

    If you're willing to spend time and money trying to make the silly
    things work, see http://tinyurl.com/q7gu5 for lots and lots of ideas.
    Brake boosters are one of the most commonly cited cures.

    -Vee

  8. Anton Depenbrock said:

    Does anybody know what to do about squiling xt v-brakes.
    I have tried almost everything like new V-brakes, new brakepads
    (XTR, koolstop BBB-tricompount), adjusting the angle between the
    brakepads and the rim and replacing the rims. Nothing helped preventing
    the brakes to squile.

    Rgrds Anton

    Squeeling.

  9. Vee said it all, listen and you will learn from the greatest and that
    isn't Mahamad Ali.

  10. Anton Depenbrock said:

    The XT-brakes are from 2001, what is the problem when they were from 1999?

    Something in the design made then squeal horrendously. Try the Ritchey
    brake pads.

    JD

  11. LIBERATOR said:
    Anton Depenbrock said:

    Does anybody know what to do about squiling xt v-brakes.
    I have tried almost everything like new V-brakes, new brakepads
    (XTR, koolstop BBB-tricompount), adjusting the angle between the
    brakepads and the rim and replacing the rims. Nothing helped
    preventing the brakes to squile.

    Rgrds Anton

    Squeeling.

    Try again.

  12. Scrub the scum off your rims with steel wool.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.