What do you eat while you ride?

whoawhoa

Oct 28, 2004
Not talking about clif bars or powergel or whatever, but real food or convenience store goodies. I now think store stops are the best part of riding! Honey buns, pecan spinwheels, and those cookie icecream sandwhiches kick ass. Oh, yeah, today I made a quesadilla, cut it up, put it in a bag, and ate it on the ride. That was good.

I eat babies and small children on long rides

well not really...
I stick to bananas, orange tang, and saltine crackers

whoawhoa said:
Not talking about clif bars or powergel or whatever, but real food or convenience store goodies. I now think store stops are the best part of riding! Honey buns, pecan spinwheels, and those cookie icecream sandwhiches kick ass. Oh, yeah, today I made a quesadilla, cut it up, put it in a bag, and ate it on the ride. That was good.
I know you say ''real food'', but taking in energy through drinks is convenient, efficient and can be cheap in temrs of price per serving. I have 2 powders in bulk size: one is pure, tasteless maltodextrin; the other, pure soya powder. I recently tried the soya for the first time and it gives me heaps more energy for longer rides. You can choose which ratio of carbs:proteins you want and test out what works best. I have found that higher amounts of protein (about 50:50 with the carbs) work far better for me during the first hour or two. You can also make up an effective recovery drink with these ingredients.

I've also found that not eating anything for at least an hour makes a major difference to energy levels. Seeing as eating before, during and after are all important factors, I have heard results of a study showing that chocolate milk was more effective than the conventional recovery drinks, which cost a fortune!!

Back to the ''real food''...chocolate bars and cookies come to mind. I'm still thinking of an easy way to eat spag bol on the move, seeing as this is the best meal ever!

ChangMan said:
Bananas, jelly sandwiches, and sports gels.
Whatevers lying around my dorm, lol. But I rarely go on 3 hr+ rides so I generally don't need any food. Though one time I went on a 50-mile ride while eating only a granola bar in the morning and no food with me. Suffice to say, I bonked with about 10 miles to go. I could barely move the pedals.

whoawhoa said:
its one of the best parts for me too, stop at a gas once or twice during a ride get a jones soda, some candy, and an oatmeal pie or dounut or something. the great thing is that since your metabolism is going so fast it hardly phases you, i love it!

If i only have about 30 minutes or so left in my ride I normally buy one of those fruit turnovers that are covered in sugar glaze. I will eat 2 of them and ride the sugar high all the way back home :D

my personal favourite is a wedding cake, maybe with a bit of chinese on the side. Transport is difficult, but the benefits in my power output (3000000 watts) is clearly worth it. I've been using a lunchbox celetaped to my jersey so far, but i was wondering if anyone new of a place i could by wedding cake specific bike sacks? thanks for your help

I prefer whole wheat sandwiches with low fat (up to 3%) salami. I also eat cereal bars Corny. On very long trainings, Snickers and Coke at the gas station is indispensable!:D

When I can manage a long ride, I like to bring along banana chips, fig nutons and Nature Valley Bars (Peanut Butter Sweet & Salty is my favorite).

i'll normally stop off about 10km's before the end of my ride for a drink and something to eat, but if i'm on a long ride i'll find a McDonalds or something and have something there in a town of some sort. And the odd choclate bar whilst on the move.

the holster said:
its one of the best parts for me too, stop at a gas once or twice during a ride get a jones soda, some candy, and an oatmeal pie or dounut or something. the great thing is that since your metabolism is going so fast it hardly phases you, i love it!
I love jones soda...

Fig Nutons and a bag of cheez-its work pretty well.

I'm thinking about hard boiling some eggs the night before my next big ride. It'll give me loads of protein while still being easy to eat...

blindsaint said:
I'm thinking about hard boiling some eggs the night before my next big ride. It'll give me loads of protein while still being easy to eat...
Too bad you couldn't channel the
hyrdrogen sulfide gas
and methane that will
create into some sort
of propulsion system.

I just make sure I eat enough the night before and the right before my rides, so I don't need much, but I'll bring like a bannana smeared with peanut butter or some kind of granola or fruit bar (nutrgrain, fig newton, ect), just a little somthing to keep me going