Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Trek folks with Alloy vs Carbon Steerers

Started by bobv · · Last activity · 39 posts · 846 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
15 November 2005
Last activity
20 November 2005
Original author
bobv
Posts
39
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
846
Views / 30 days
3

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 39
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. It seems that all? OCLV Treks come with Alloy Steerers on their carbon forks. Is
    there a good reason for this?

    Thanks, Bob

  2. bobv said:

    It seems that all? OCLV Treks come with Alloy
    Steerers on their carbon forks. Is
    there a good reason for this?

    Is there a reason they should be some other material?

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  3. bobv said:

    It seems that all? OCLV Treks come with Alloy Steerers on their carbon forks. Is
    there a good reason for this?

    Carbon steerers are expensive, invisible on the shop floor, not even that
    much, if any, lighter, and allow for much smaller amounts of spacers for
    adjustment.

    There's no really good reason for any brand of whole bicycle to go to
    carbon steerers, unless they shout from the rooftops that they have, in
    fact, done so. The consumer will never know if they don't.

    Jasper

  4. Jasper Janssen said:
    bobv said:

    It seems that all? OCLV Treks come with Alloy Steerers on their carbon forks. Is
    there a good reason for this?

    Carbon steerers are expensive, invisible on the shop floor, not even that
    much, if any, lighter, and allow for much smaller amounts of spacers for
    adjustment.

    There's no really good reason for any brand of whole bicycle to go to
    carbon steerers, unless they shout from the rooftops that they have, in
    fact, done so. The consumer will never know if they don't.

    Jasper

    Good post. The OP post shows how bike design is spiraling to the
    minutae(sp?). It also follows that many times components become more
    important than the frame, the heart of the bicycle.

    Or maybe the guy just wanted to know...carbon steerers, all things
    carbon, It's more expensive, GOTTA be 'better'...

  5. On 15 Nov 2005 05:47:09 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    Jasper Janssen said:
    bobv said:

    It seems that all? OCLV Treks come with Alloy Steerers on their carbon forks. Is
    there a good reason for this?

    Carbon steerers are expensive, invisible on the shop floor, not even that
    much, if any, lighter, and allow for much smaller amounts of spacers for
    adjustment.

    There's no really good reason for any brand of whole bicycle to go to
    carbon steerers, unless they shout from the rooftops that they have, in
    fact, done so. The consumer will never know if they don't.

    Jasper

    Good post. The OP post shows how bike design is spiraling to the
    minutae(sp?). It also follows that many times components become more
    important than the frame, the heart of the bicycle.

    Or maybe the guy just wanted to know...carbon steerers, all things
    carbon, It's more expensive, GOTTA be 'better'...

    The whole advertizable feature syndrome. How many buzzwords has your bike got.
    Let's not make unflattering assumptions about the OP, we don't know him. But
    there are so many people in the grip of the ad writers and their larval form the
    magazine writers. And then there are all the billions who just ride bikes and
    enjoy it.

    Now I gotta get back to installing my titanium chainring bolts - it's hard to be
    really competitive without that advantage.

    Ron

  6. Maybe the fact that a carbon fork and steerer are one piece and that the
    alloy ones are joined together. Trek seems to be the company bragging about
    light weight and having a 4 year technology advantage on the industry so the
    question sounds reasonable.

    "bobv" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It seems that all? OCLV Treks come with Alloy Steerers on their carbon
    forks. Is
    there a good reason for this?

    Thanks, Bob

  7. Larry said:

    Maybe the fact that a carbon fork and steerer are one piece and that the
    alloy ones are joined together. Trek seems to be the company bragging about
    light weight and having a 4 year technology advantage on the industry so the
    question sounds reasonable.

    I think you would be surprised at how carbon forks are made just like
    aluminum steerer forks...that is, two piece bonded together(most). All
    carbon forks is a fairly recent gig.

    Quoted message said:

    "bobv" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It seems that all? OCLV Treks come with Alloy Steerers on their carbon
    forks. Is
    there a good reason for this?

    Thanks, Bob

  8. RonSonic said:

    Now I gotta get back to installing my titanium chainring bolts - it's hard to be
    really competitive without that advantage.

    Aluminum chainring bolts are lighter ;>😉

  9. John Forrest Tomlinson said:
    bobv said:

    It seems that all? OCLV Treks come with Alloy
    Steerers on their carbon forks. Is
    there a good reason for this?

    Is there a reason they should be some other material?

    JT


    Jeez John, I am glad I didn't ask why some people make steel frames instead of
    carbon, as I would have probably gotten the same answer.

    The point is that since Trek makes an extremely lightweight frame out of carbon,
    and brags about it and the technology to do it, it would seem that for the minor
    difference in cost that they would use full carbon forks on at least their 110
    OCLV bikes. Of course perhaps they do, I just don't know. I thought perhaps
    their was technical reason that they don't.

    Perhaps someone who knows will answer.

    Bob

  10. Here is my uninformed guess, safety.
    Installing stems on CF steerers really should be done with a light
    touch or
    a torque wrench. It is a lot safer for Trek to stick with AL so the
    shop
    rats don't crack the steerer tube, my apologies to shop rats who really
    know their composite inspection techniques.

    I was at a test ride of the new Cannondale Synapse, carbon fork
    droputs.
    The testing guy said, "Careful, don't drop the fork on its dropouts"
    Frangible steering tubes and now front fork dropouts, how exciting.

    Scott G.

  11. QSP said:


    I think you would be surprised at how carbon forks are made just like
    aluminum steerer forks...that is, two piece bonded together(most). All
    carbon forks is a fairly recent gig.

    Quoted message said:

    Some are one piece - or at least have continuous fibers from steerer to
    dropouts. Alpha Q is one.

    D'ohBoy

  12. Quoted message said:

    The point is that since Trek makes an extremely lightweight frame out of
    carbon,
    and brags about it and the technology to do it, it would seem that for the
    minor
    difference in cost that they would use full carbon forks on at least their
    110
    OCLV bikes. Of course perhaps they do, I just don't know. I thought
    perhaps
    their was technical reason that they don't.

    It costs Trek more, not less, to use a combination carbon/aluminum steer
    column on their better forks. The issue is that many ham-fisted mechanics &
    consumers aren't likely to use a torque wrench when clamping the stem, and
    they've got lots of evidence in their testing lab that columns damaged in
    that manner are not safe. They've been working for some time on a relatively
    bomb-proof carbon steer tube, not because it will save weight (savings are
    minimal over their present setup; I've been told about 10 grams) but because
    it's what people expect to see.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "bobv" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    John Forrest Tomlinson said:
    bobv said:

    It seems that all? OCLV Treks come with Alloy
    Steerers on their carbon forks. Is
    there a good reason for this?

    Is there a reason they should be some other material?

    JT


    Jeez John, I am glad I didn't ask why some people make steel frames
    instead of
    carbon, as I would have probably gotten the same answer.

    The point is that since Trek makes an extremely lightweight frame out of
    carbon,
    and brags about it and the technology to do it, it would seem that for the
    minor
    difference in cost that they would use full carbon forks on at least their
    110
    OCLV bikes. Of course perhaps they do, I just don't know. I thought
    perhaps
    their was technical reason that they don't.

    Perhaps someone who knows will answer.

    Bob

  13. Mike Krueger said:
    RonSonic said:

    Now I gotta get back to installing my titanium chainring bolts -
    it's hard to be really competitive without that advantage.

    Aluminum chainring bolts are lighter ;>😉

    With the carbon-fiber heads, maybe.

    :-D

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    RonSonic said:

    Now I gotta get back to installing my titanium chainring bolts - it's hard


    to be

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    really competitive without that advantage.

    Aluminum chainring bolts are lighter ;>😉

    And cheaper.
    ---------
    Alex

  15. bobv said:


    John Forrest Tomlinson said:
    bobv said:

    It seems that all? OCLV Treks come with Alloy
    Steerers on their carbon forks. Is
    there a good reason for this?

    Is there a reason they should be some other material?

    JT


    Jeez John, I am glad I didn't ask why some people make steel frames instead of
    carbon, as I would have probably gotten the same answer.

    I didn't give you an answer, I asked a question. Here's another
    question -- what does "jeez" mean? Is it some sort of insult?

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  16. John Forrest Tomlinson said:
    bobv said:


    John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 21:31:59 -0800, bobv <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > It seems that all? OCLV Treks come with Alloy
    > Steerers on their carbon forks. Is
    > there a good reason for this?

    Is there a reason they should be some other material?

    JT


    Jeez John, I am glad I didn't ask why some people make steel frames instead of
    carbon, as I would have probably gotten the same answer.

    I didn't give you an answer, I asked a question. Here's another
    question -- what does "jeez" mean? Is it some sort of insult?

    JT


    Dear John
    I realize you didn't give me an answer. If you would like to pose a question
    start your own topic.

    Now to answer your questions: yes, just an expression, & no.

    Thanks for everything
    Bob

  17. John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

    This belongs is rec.bicycles.sigswithoutcontent.

    <eg> :-P <eg> :-D <eg> 8-) <eg>

  18. bobv said:

    just an expression,

    What does Jeez mean?

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  19. ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  20. Bill Sornson said:
    John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

    This belongs is rec.bicycles.sigswithoutcontent.

    <eg> :-P <eg> :-D <eg> 8-) <eg>

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.