General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Training Year Ending 2005

Started by SwStudio · · Last activity · 59 posts · 1,151 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 December 2005
Last activity
9 January 2006
Original author
SwStudio
Posts
59
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,151
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–59 of 59
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Charlie Pendejo said:

    But where will you train for the Queensboro Bridge? You've no
    mountains nearby, or have you?

    In the village where I was just on holiday (about a 1h45 drive from home),
    there's a suitable race to do as a worthy test of NYC marathon / Q'bro
    Bridge. The race is at the end of July too, so conditions should be close
    to the world-famous sweltering heat of NYCM :->

    Astute followers of the Tour de France will know the spot if they watched
    the closing 11km of the 15th stage last year.

    PS I already ran it downwards, just in case I every get to do Boston :-P

  2. marko said:

    sub 3h55 marathon for 2006.

    That's what I like to see - nice hard goals :-P

  3. steve common <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Forgot some stuff

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

    1 x 5000m track

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    5. What were your best and worst race performances?

    Worst : Toulouse HM, where I couldn't muster better than MP for most of
    the race. Fortunately the experience was saved by meeting up with Piedmont
    Donald.

  4. steve common said:

    That's what I like to see - nice hard goals :-P

    I should get two chances at hitting it, so...

    And who knows if it isn't just a coward way to run a 'sure' sub-3 'thon,
    as my last try at it (sub-3) made me fail by just 4 minutes, so by
    shooting for 2h55 I should hit at least 2h59 ;op

    m

  5. SwStudio said:

    Thanks to all rec.runners for your continued partipation in the
    'training week' thread over the months (and years)!


    Thanks to you too, David.

    Quoted message said:

    1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?


    116 runs, 1162 miles (plus 4368 miles on the bike, including 97 days of
    bike commuting)

    Quoted message said:

    2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?


    hi=38 mi, lo=5 mi

    Quoted message said:

    3. What was your longest run?


    26.2 (3 marathons)

    Quoted message said:

    4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?


    7 races: 1 10mi, 4 10K, 3 marathon

    Quoted message said:

    5. What were your best and worst race performances?


    Best was Charlottesville marathon in April. I trained hard and smart
    for a very hilly course, the weather was perfect, and I paced it just
    right and crushed my previous best by over 3 minutes (and finished 3rd
    overall).
    Worst was Dallas White Rock marathon in December. Death march for the
    last 3 miles.

    Quoted message said:

    6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?


    Charlottesville was the most memorable. I surprised myself by getting
    kind of emotional right after crossing the line.

    Quoted message said:

    7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?


    Nothing too bad, but I did run in 15 F weather once and got to try out
    my "Get A Grip" ice spikes for the first time (they worked pretty
    well).

    Quoted message said:

    8. What were your goals for 2005? Did you achieve them?


    No hard goals, but I did want to improve across the board, and I think
    I achieved this with a PR at the 10K and marathon distance (34:26 and
    2:45:54).

    Quoted message said:

    9. What are your goals for 2006 (and beyond)?


    To improve for another year, to have fun, to stay injury-free, possibly
    to run a 50 mile trail run like Bull Run, to run another marathon where
    I get all the details just right and nail a strong PR.

    Quoted message said:

    10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?


    I think this is from Greg Lemond, but it applies to running as well as
    cycling: "It never gets any easier; you just go faster".

  6. Quoted message said:

    1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

    About 1800 (probably 179x... my online running log ain't, at the
    moment).
    2004: 1150
    2003: 700

    Quoted message said:

    2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

    High: 70.x
    Low: 0 (first several weeks of 2005)

    Quoted message said:

    3. What was your longest run?

    22.75 miles, ~8:30/mi training run

    Quoted message said:

    4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

    12-14.

    Quoted message said:

    5. What were your best and worst race performances?

    best: Kaisaniemen Juoksu (http://tinyurl.com/9vh8s) for the AG 2nd,
    untapered and after an enormous buffet breakfast
    worst: NYCM (http://tinyurl.com/cp3tu) DNF

    Quoted message said:

    6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

    Some training runs outside of NYC really stick with me:

    - Helsinki (gold), Vancouver (silver), and Tacoma (bronze) all have
    absolutely terrific urban parks for running, and I took full advantage.
    NYC is no threat to medal in this competition.

    - St Petersburg is mostly quite runner-hostile; but that was part of
    the fun, seeing only a couple other runners over the course of a week
    and 50 miles, and getting all kinds of puzzled stares and laughter.

    - Favorite run within the city is to take the A train to the end of the
    line in Far Rockaway, and follow a path something like this:

    http://tinyurl.com/7k8xx

    I love this as a summer-in-the-city long run: the initial miles of
    boardwalk feature ocean scenery, cooling breezes, and are very gentle
    on the legs. You run in near-total solitude - a NYC rarity - the first
    few miles of boardwalk and then from miles 9 to 13 (some of which,
    alas, are within sight of a busy interstate; but you've also got dense
    fields of 12 foot grasses on the other side). Some interesting
    Brooklyn and Queens neighborhoods, and the fact that the run spans
    not-quite-Long-Island to almost-Manhattan lends it more of an epic
    quality than the length alone would indicate.

    Quoted message said:

    7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

    I dunno that anything has been all that crazy this year, but plenty of
    humid 90-100F summer days and too many windy rainy 30's this winter.

    One of those days was this afternoon, and my hands were wet and cold.
    I seem to have a touch of Renauds too - runs in my family. It occurred
    to me, to keep my hands warm for say a 150 miler in this weather, I'd
    take a page from Dean K and run carrying a little Weber Smoky Joe
    charcoal grill. It would keep my hands warm, my pot of coffee hot, and
    once I'd worked up an appetite I would cook Korean barbecue - mmmmm, a
    little galbi, a little bugogi, maybe some tongue. Pass the raw garlic!

    Quoted message said:

    8. What were your goals for 2005? Did you achieve them?

    Race goals included 1:30 HM, "good" NYCM. Fell short.

    Training goals: hoped to learn a lot, avoid major injury, run
    considerably more miles than 2004, and enjoy it all. Succeeded with
    flying colors.

    Not bad on balance: I don't primarily train so I can race well, more
    like I race because I like to run a lot anyway, and so what the hell,
    the racing is fun and helps structure and justify all that other
    running. That said, I'd certainly like to race better in 2006.

    Quoted message said:

    9. What are your goals for 2006 (and beyond)?

    Racing: "good" races at Boilermaker and NYCM.

    Otherwise: first and foremost, keep away from injury. Continue to
    enjoy running, keep it more like play than work. Keep a close eye on
    the calendar and train in well-defined periods ala Lydiard, Daniels,
    etc. - in 2005 I half intentionally half not did very little running
    faster than LT, and I learned that avoiding the faster running is one
    way to get in a high volume without getting injured - or getting fast.

    Quoted message said:

    10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

    I dunno, how about: if your nose runs and your feet smell, you must be
    upside down.

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    SwStudio said:

    Thanks to all rec.runners for your continued partipation in the
    'training week' thread over the months (and years)!

    Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!

    Ah, my goal for the year!

    Quoted message said:

    1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

    Few.

    Quoted message said:

    2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

    15ish, 0.

    Quoted message said:

    3. What was your longest run?

    10 miles.

    Quoted message said:

    4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

    1 10 miler, 3 5k.
    Walked a 10k for a (walk) pr at that distance.

    Quoted message said:

    5. What were your best and worst race performances?

    In terms of time, the 10 miler was best. As that lead to
    the rotator cuff tear that took me off running for 3 months,
    also the worst race performance.

    Quoted message said:

    6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?
    7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?
    8. What were your goals for 2005? Did you achieve them?

    2005 is in the books, I'll let it stay there.

    Quoted message said:

    9. What are your goals for 2006 (and beyond)?

    Run regularly. Stay healthy.

    Started with a 2006 fathom race on January 1. Am aiming towards
    running at least 2006 li (old li -- about 576 m) this year.

    --
    Robert Grumbine http://www.radix.net/~bobg/ Science faqs and amateur activities notes and links.
    Sagredo (Galileo Galilei) "You present these recondite matters with too much
    evidence and ease; this great facility makes them less appreciated than they
    would be had they been presented in a more abstruse manner." Two New Sciences

  8. marko said:

    so by
    shooting for 2h55 I should hit at least 2h59 ;op

    I was joking with you because your original post spoke of a 3h55 goal (NB
    3 and not 2) :-)

  9. steve common said:

    I was joking with you because your original post spoke of a 3h55 goal (NB
    3 and not 2) :-)

    oops... I haven't even noticed it!
    but that is good for me, now, I'm almost sure to hit my goal ;-)

    BTW, I just received confirmation for my registration for paris marathon!

  10. SwStudio said:

    Thanks to all rec.runners for your continued partipation in the
    'training week' thread over the months (and years)!

    And thank you for "running" it for us!

    Quoted message said:

    Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!

    You too!

    Quoted message said:

    1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

    1,632.4 miles.

    Quoted message said:

    2. What were your highest and lowest mileage weeks?

    52 miles, 0 miles.

    Quoted message said:

    3. What was your longest run?

    26.2 miles!

    Quoted message said:

    4. How many (if at all) races did you enter?

    4 5K's (1 PR)
    3 10K's (1 PR)
    1 5-Miler
    1 10-Miler (PR)
    1 1/2 Marathon (PR by virtue of the fact it was the first)
    1 Marathon

    Quoted message said:

    5. What were your best and worst race performances?

    Best was Dave's Run for ALS 5K, PR and 71% WAVA, first WAVA
    over 70 and beat some fast gals! Worst was Cinco de Mayo 10K,
    felt flat at start then it only got worse.

    Quoted message said:

    6. Do you have a favorite, memorable run that you did this year?

    The 10-mile race. It was really cool to run down the middle of
    Broadway Blvd, all the way through the middle of town. And I
    felt so excellent the first 8 miles...

    Quoted message said:

    7. What was the craziest weather you endured while running?

    Over 107F in July....I think I might have been hallucinating...

    Quoted message said:

    8. What were your goals for 2005? Did you achieve them?

    Partially. I wanted to get a WAVA 70% or better at all distance
    (except the marathon). Got one at 5k, but missed the others.

    Quoted message said:

    9. What are your goals for 2006 (and beyond)?

    Firstly, stay healthy and uninjured. I had 3 (at least minor)
    colds last year. That's three too many. I did get over the PF,
    though. I'd battled that, first in one foot, then the other,
    for the last several years. And to continue learning Chi running,
    and to start a new type of training with more emphasis on speed
    work, to improve my speed.

    Quoted message said:

    10. Do you have a favorite running-related quote to share?

    There are a lot of good ones, but I don't have just one.

    Quoted message said:

    cheers,

    Teresa in AZ

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    marko said:
    SwStudio said:

    Have a great, injury-free new year, everyone!!!

    same to you!

    Quoted message said:


    1. How many miles/kilometres did you run this year?

    2439km 1515mi 194h57' 188 runs

    former years :
    2004 2169 km 1348mi 172h 160runs
    2003 2400 km 1491mi 194h 180runs
    2002 1760 km 1094mi 144h 151runs
    2001 587 km 365mi 51h 58runs

    Seems curious ... you run a fair total distance, 25-30 mpw for the last
    3 years. But you don't run very often, only every other day. So each
    run, on average, is fairly long ... ca. 8 miles per run.

    From below it seems the 10k has been your main race of interest.
    What is your thinking in the few, but long, schedule? (Or, as can
    be, is my averaging of your year misleading me?)

    --
    Robert Grumbine http://www.radix.net/~bobg/ Science faqs and amateur activities notes and links.
    Sagredo (Galileo Galilei) "You present these recondite matters with too much
    evidence and ease; this great facility makes them less appreciated than they
    would be had they been presented in a more abstruse manner." Two New Sciences

  12. Quoted message said:

    Seems curious ... you run a fair total distance, 25-30 mpw for the last
    3 years. But you don't run very often, only every other day. So each
    run, on average, is fairly long ... ca. 8 miles per run.

    I've seen this recommended by some people for the older set.
    The explanation is the body may take 36-48 hours to fully
    recover from a previous workout.

  13. "rick++" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Seems curious ... you run a fair total distance, 25-30 mpw for the
    last
    3 years. But you don't run very often, only every other day. So each
    run, on average, is fairly long ... ca. 8 miles per run.

    I've seen this recommended by some people for the older set.
    The explanation is the body may take 36-48 hours to fully
    recover from a previous workout.

    Dr. George Sheehan, in his later years, used to run 10 miles every
    other day for precisely this reason. I'm almost there. 😉

    -DF

  14. Robert Grumbine said:

    Seems curious ... you run a fair total distance, 25-30 mpw for the last
    3 years. But you don't run very often, only every other day. So each
    run, on average, is fairly long ... ca. 8 miles per run.

    yes that's about 8miles per run on average, I usually run at least one
    11k and one 16k per week, but in reality, some parts of the year are low
    on running while others are higher.
    here is a graph for 2005 from week 1 to week 52 :

    +++++++++++++++++++ 38 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++ 49 km
    ++++++++++++++ 27 km
    ++++++++++++ 24 km
    ++++++++++++ 24 km
    +++++++++++++++++++ 38 km
    +++++++++++++ 25 km
    +++++++ 14 km
    ++++ 7 km
    +++++ 9 km
    +++++++++++++++++ 33 km
    ++++++++++++++++++++ 38 km
    ++++++++++++++++++++ 38 km
    +++++++++++++++++ 32 km
    +++++++++++++++++ 32 km
    +++++++++++++++++ 33 km
    ++++++++++++++++++ 35 km
    ++++++++++++++++++++++ 43 km
    ++++++++++++++++++ 35 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++ 41 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++ 50 km
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 51 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 52 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++ 41 km
    ++++++++++++ 22 km
    ++++++++++++++++++ 35 km
    ++++++++++++++++++++ 38 km
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 59 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 61 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 64 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 62 km
    ++++++++++++++++ 32 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 61 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++++ 46 km
    ++++++++++++++++++++++ 44 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++ 49 km
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 59 km
    +++++++++++++++++++ 37 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 62 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++ 41 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 68 km
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 71 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 73 km
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 79 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 81 km
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 59 km (10k PB)
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 80 km
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 82 km
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 79 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 65 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 80 km
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 52 km

    Quoted message said:


    From below it seems the 10k has been your main race of interest.
    What is your thinking in the few, but long, schedule? (Or, as can
    be, is my averaging of your year misleading me?)

    actually I'm more interested in HM and marathon than in 10k, but this
    year I couldn't find the time to run and was happy just racing in 10k.

    That's probably one of the reason why I always run at least 11k, and
    often 16k, even if I'm not following a specific training plan.

    These last 3 months, I have been starting to build up a solid base
    towards training for an april marathon, so I ran more often (usually 5
    to 6 times per week) and distances of 9k to 26k.

    I'll keep with this mileage. A mileage which is the higher one I ever
    ran on average on more than 8 consecutives weeks!

    It seems it gave me good results so far... (the 10k PB eg.)

    m

  15. rick++ said:

    I've seen this recommended by some people for the older set.
    The explanation is the body may take 36-48 hours to fully
    recover from a previous workout.

    Well, I'm not *that* old but if I have a busy schedule, I prefer to run
    less often for longer distances, it works better for me.

    m

  16. steve common said:

    FWIW, the 2:59 marathon was the first marathon I ever did with absolutely
    no walking, even for refueling. So some would say it was my first ever
    marathon :->

    This subject was overlooked at the time (because we were all in the
    throes of vicarious euphoria then, I suppose); did the experiment
    convince you to switch to the run-and-drink technique or do you still
    hold to the view that walk-and-run strategy in the end compensates for
    the seconds lost?

    (BTW wasn't your running form up to inspection in any of the
    photographs or did your colour combination come to embarrass you? There
    are those of us who like to look, you know...)

    Quoted message said:

    - PB marathon

    A peace of cake - unless advanced middle-age decides to jump upon you
    *this* year:-)

    Quoted message said:

    - run the championship marathon if that doesn't interfere with the above

    That depends entirely on whether the FFA is crazy enough to hold the
    event in June this year, too, doesn't it?

    Quoted message said:

    - run with some r.r regulars

    "New York, New York, it's a beautiful town!"

    Quoted message said:

    - Try to stay close to 3h until I'm 50yo.

    If the goal is the trying, it shouldn't be too impossible:-)

    Quoted message said:

    - Do another long "raid" style race like the Sand Marathon.

    http://www.trans-aqu.com or http://www.raid-montpellier-valencia.com
    perhaps?

    Quoted message said:

    - Do a very long single stage race (Spartathlon or similar)

    I understand that first-timers, almost regardless of training
    background, have an exceedingly low probability of making the cut-offs
    in the Spartathlon. (A Finnish chap I'm fleetingly familiar with did
    finish in his first attempt, but OTOH his method of going sub-3 in the
    marathon was to race marathons every two weeks - and sometimes more
    often - run that pace for as long as he could; IIRC the finally
    clinched it in his twelth marathon that year...)

    Quoted message said:

    - Do a road 100km in sub-9h

    IMHO almost too modest a goal for you (but round numbers are round
    numbers, I know).

    Quoted message said:

    - Get back to NYC and maybe run the marathon there.

    Yes, trash the competition! Suits you, Sir!

    Anders

  17. anders said:

    This subject was overlooked at the time (because we were all in the
    throes of vicarious euphoria then, I suppose); did the experiment
    convince you to switch to the run-and-drink technique or do you still
    hold to the view that walk-and-run strategy in the end compensates for
    the seconds lost?

    I'd have to do another walk-while-drinking marathon before I can decide.
    I'm wondering if my freshness at the end of the 2002 La Rochelle wasn't
    also partly because of "wasting" about 20 secs at every fueling station by
    stopping / walking. Could the side stitch this year have been due to poor
    drinking too? So many unknowns :-)

    Quoted message said:

    (BTW wasn't your running form up to inspection in any of the
    photographs or did your colour combination come to embarrass you? There
    are those of us who like to look, you know...)

    All of those plus I didn't care for the haggard expression and
    face-pulling. But since you asked so nicely... It does seem that I whooped
    at the finish line btw ;-)

    http://running.steve.free.fr/LaRochelle2005/

    Quoted message said:

    That depends entirely on whether the FFA is crazy enough to hold the
    event in June this year, too, doesn't it?

    They have big problems with the championship race calendar for the long
    events. They ended up with 2 x 24h races in 2005 (but two different racing
    seasons, which run September-September)

    Quoted message said:

    http://www.trans-aqu.com or http://www.raid-montpellier-valencia.com
    perhaps?

    I almost did the Aquitaine one for the first edition, with one of the team
    from the MDS, but we were both too fed up of ultra stuff after our 2004
    season.

    Quoted message said:

    I understand that first-timers, almost regardless of training
    background, have an exceedingly low probability of making the cut-offs
    in the Spartathlon.

    Yep, it is rather hard. The technical advisor for the last "Intégrale de
    Riquet" is a work colleague and has finished the Spartathlon once. He
    modeled the "one-stage with time limits" version of the "Intégrale" on it.

    Quoted message said:

    IMHO almost too modest a goal for you (but round numbers are round
    numbers, I know).

    I'm not sure really. Folklore here says that a sub-9 100k is about the
    same kind of achievement as a sub-3 42k.

  18. steve common kirjoitti:

    Quoted message said:

    I'd have to do another walk-while-drinking marathon before I can decide.
    I'm wondering if my freshness at the end of the 2002 La Rochelle wasn't
    also partly because of "wasting" about 20 secs at every fueling station by
    stopping / walking. Could the side stitch this year have been due to poor
    drinking too? So many unknowns :-)

    Indeed! This could be one of those questions where it takes some time
    to find out what is the correct answer - and when you do know it,
    you're too old to do anything with it:-)

    Quoted message said:

    http://running.steve.free.fr/LaRochelle2005/

    Your running form strikes me as excellent (although I imagine pic #2
    must depict your finishing kick), actually. Your running kit looks
    nice, too (although the shade of the light blue on Asics strikes me as
    a bit too girlish for my taste).

    It's only pic #4 that could embarrass me: you look like you were
    auditioning for a camp rendition of "Chorus Line" (or some such show)
    and the warmly-dressed young man's jog across the finish line looks
    almost scripted to mock your sense of achievement.

    Anders

  19. anders said:

    (although the shade of the light blue on Asics strikes me as
    a bit too girlish for my taste).

    I almost didn't buy 'em, but a few years of getting used to wearing lycra
    tights, singlets and other stuff I wouldn't have been seen dead in 10
    years ago has shriveled my shame glands to nothingness :->

    Note the similarity to the colour of the carpet: Asics was a race sponsor.

    Quoted message said:

    It's only pic #4 that could embarrass me: you look like you were
    auditioning for a camp rendition of "Chorus Line" (or some such show)

    LOL :-D I said I whooped. But my musical comedy skills are less "A Chorus
    Line" than "It ain't half hot Mum!"

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/articles/i/itainthalfhotmum_1299001653.shtml

    Before the start of the race, the MC called a minute of silence for the
    now deceased founder of the race and asked us all to point a finger up to
    heaven as we arrived, in memory of the chap. I just got a bit carried away
    :-}

    Quoted message said:

    and the warmly-dressed young man's jog across the finish line looks
    almost scripted to mock your sense of achievement.

    The bloke behind me actually was sprinting up and beat me by 1 second. I
    get some satisfaction from the fact that he went through 21k some 18
    seconds before me, so my splits were better than his :-P

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.