"I2Run" <[email hidden]> wrote
Quoted message said:You both have an answer for my simple question about the 'hard' effort.
What is the definition of 'hard' effort here, in terms of intensity or
%MHR?
[Intensity as I understand is, 100*(HR-RHR)/(MHR-RHR) ]
The heartrate doesn't control the workout, but I will look at it just for
grins. At any particular speedwork distance, the optimal speed in my
philosophy is governed by the following rules:
1) You can maintain the same pace throughout the interval -- no slowdown at
the end.
2) You are not straining at the end -- form is clean, turnover smooth and
quick.
3) You are not into leg burn, just the slight threshold of burn.
4) You run as fast as you can over the interval to satisfy rules 1-3. You
will automatically run your 200's a lot faster than your 800's.
What, no goal times? No split times?
That's right. If you do your speed in the above manner, you'll enjoy it
more, because it isn't gut-busting all out. If you enjoy it, you'll do it
regularly. If you don't go balls-to-the-wall, you'll gradually improve week
by week.
The other variable is your recovery day afterward. It should be real easy
and relaxed. You know you did it right if you feel strong the day after
your recovery day.
Quoted message said:How is this 'hard' effort compared to the 5K race effort?
If you follow the above rules 1-4 you will see that your question is not the
one to ask, grasshoppah. However, following the above rules, I tend to run
800's a bit faster than 5k PR pace.
Quoted message said:Would you suggest about 15 min 'hard' effort for my 50+ mpw?
I'd go 12-15 max at your workload. I'm currently targeting 16 minutes at my
70 mpw.
For tempo-type runs, I try to run them fun-fast -- that is quick, but not
painful.
-- Dan