Road Cycling · Public discussion

Track cycling question

Started by Harold Buck · · Last activity · 49 posts · 1,625 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
21 August 2004
Last activity
26 August 2004
Original author
Harold Buck
Posts
49
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,625
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–49 of 49
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "David L. Johnson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mike Murray said:

    What I do think is unacceptable is falling down because of a pulled
    foot. I have pulled a foot 3 times in mass start track races; once from
    a broken cleat and twice because I was struck by another rider and the
    hit twisted my foot out. Just relaxing the other leg and sitting down
    will keep you upright. Falling because of a single pulled foot is
    generally a variation of the "I forgot to keep pedaling" problem where
    the leg that is still on the pedal is kept stiff and the rider gets
    pitched over the bars.


    Very very seldom does the "I forgot to pedal" syndrome result in being
    pitched over the bars.

  2. Carl Sundquist said:

    Very very seldom does the "I forgot to pedal" syndrome result in being
    pitched over the bars.

    I remember the first time I did intervals on a track bike I almost fell
    due to the inbuild reaction of free wheeling after a hard interval that
    one acquires when riding a road bike.

  3. On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:22:40 +0200, Donald Munro <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I remember the first time I did intervals on a track bike I almost fell
    due to the inbuild reaction of free wheeling after a hard interval that
    one acquires when riding a road bike.

    Yeah, but you have to be moving to really go over the handlebars.
    Mostly you do a move/lift to the side and fold up.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  4. Curtis L. Russell said:

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:22:40 +0200, Donald Munro <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I remember the first time I did intervals on a track bike I almost fell
    due to the inbuild reaction of free wheeling after a hard interval that
    one acquires when riding a road bike.

    Yeah, but you have to be moving to really go over the handlebars.
    Mostly you do a move/lift to the side and fold up.

    In any instance, it's the simplest thing in the world to freewheel on a
    trackie.

    I do it all the time.

    --
    le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
    Six Day Site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/

  5. Donald Munro said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I remember the first time I did intervals on a track bike I almost fell
    due to the inbuild reaction of free wheeling after a hard interval that
    one acquires when riding a road bike.

    Quoted message said:
    Curtis L. Russell said:

    Yeah, but you have to be moving to really go over the handlebars.
    Mostly you do a move/lift to the side and fold up.

    Davey_Crockett said:

    In any instance, it's the simplest thing in the world to freewheel on a
    trackie.

    With a single speed fixed gear with no freewheel ? Enlighten me.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    David L. Johnson said:
    Mike Murray said:
    Ronaldo Jeremiah said:

    I know some will disagree, but the fact is that clipless pedals should
    not even be permitted on the track in mass start events. They are
    dangerous. Pulling out of your pedals is as dumb as rolling a tire
    because you didn't glue it right. It's 100% unacceptable.

    I have to agree with the sentiment. My experience is that most pull-outs
    of clipless pedals are worn Look cleats. Maybe avoiding them is the
    issue.

    Quoted message said:

    In addition, as I said in my previous note, I am not so
    sure that clips and staps are less likely than other systems to pull out.

    I disagree. Double-straps are almost foolproof. Single straps will allow
    pullout, but decent cleats and double straps are very secure.

    It should be noted that there are pedal designs where an upward pull
    _cannot_ release the cleat, only a twist. Egg Beaters are one example.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com
    Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

  7. Donald Munro said:
    Donald Munro said:
    Quoted message said:

    >I remember the first time I did intervals on a track bike I almost fell
    >due to the inbuild reaction of free wheeling after a hard interval that
    >one acquires when riding a road bike.

    Quoted message said:
    Curtis L. Russell said:

    Yeah, but you have to be moving to really go over the handlebars.
    Mostly you do a move/lift to the side and fold up.

    Davey_Crockett said:

    In any instance, it's the simplest thing in the world to freewheel on a
    trackie.

    With a single speed fixed gear with no freewheel ? Enlighten me.

    Ass firmly on saddle

    Hands firmly on bars

    Left foot on left side of fork crown

    Right foot on right side of fork crown

    Voila Free Wheeling 🙂

    --
    le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
    Six Day Site: http://members.rogers.com/sixday/

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Ronaldo Jeremiah) said:

    I know some will disagree, but the fact is that clipless pedals should
    not even be permitted on the track in mass start events. They are
    dangerous.

    you've got a long way to go to prove this statement given the ubiquity
    of clipless pedals in mass start events on the track. I've been to
    about a dozen 6 Day nights in the last 5 years and I haven't seen a
    rider with clips in all the mass start races yet. Haven't seen a crash
    caused by somebody clipping out either.

    Clipless pedals can be safe if well maintained and adjusted properly.
    By your logic sewups shouldn't be allowed at all because they can roll
    and cause a crash too.

    Baird

  9. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Davey_Crockett said:

    In any instance, it's the simplest thing in the world to freewheel on a
    trackie.

    Donald Munro said:
    Quoted message said:

    With a single speed fixed gear with no freewheel ? Enlighten me.

    Davey_Crockett said:

    Ass firmly on saddle

    Hands firmly on bars

    Left foot on left side of fork crown

    Right foot on right side of fork crown

    Voila Free Wheeling 🙂

    Feet on the fork is cheating :-) I'll have to give that a try sometime
    when I ride a track bike again (not all that frequently I'm afraid - I
    don't like being beaten by all those fast twitch track types).

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.