Thank You Nissan... NOT!

GeeDubb wrote:
> P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
>> p.p.s. perhaps it's time for you to ask one of the experts that
>> allegedly surround you about the true meaning of say...the 1 in 8
>> likelyhood of a woman getting breast cancer and how that does not
>> equal a 12 % chance...

> Mitch didn't claim a 1 in 3 chance of getting breast cancer. He
> claimed a 1 in 3 to get any kind of cancer (see the quote below) so
> I'm not sure why you're on the attack. Where are you getting your
> information to counter his?
>
> "1 in 3 and actually moving towards 1 in 2, my friend. Put a person
> on either side of you and one of you will definitely get cancer.
> That is a really scary way to look at it."

And, cancer aside, there's clear evidence that Mr. A-lot did NOT post his
comments twice; there seems to be a bad bot afoot.

> Now off for an afternoon ride.

At least someone's making sense.

/BS

GeeDubb wrote:
> P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
>
>>p.p.s. perhaps it's time for you to ask one of the experts that
>>allegedly surround you about the true meaning of say...the 1 in 8
>>likelyhood of a woman getting breast cancer and how that does not
>>equal a 12 % chance...

> Mitch didn't claim a 1 in 3 chance of getting breast cancer. He claimed a 1
> in 3 to get any kind of cancer (see the quote below) so I'm not sure why
> you're on the attack. Where are you getting your information to counter
> his?

The same statistical error (see 1 in 8 above)
applies to his 1 in 3 claim. You can google
numerous sources as well as following Corvus' link.

GeeDubb wrote:
> P e t e F a g e r l i n wrote:
>
>>p.p.s. perhaps it's time for you to ask one of the experts that
>>allegedly surround you about the true meaning of say...the 1 in 8
>>likelyhood of a woman getting breast cancer and how that does not
>>equal a 12 % chance...

> Mitch didn't claim a 1 in 3 chance of getting breast cancer. He claimed a 1
> in 3 to get any kind of cancer (see the quote below) so I'm not sure why
> you're on the attack. Where are you getting your information to counter
> his?
>
> "1 in 3 and actually moving towards 1 in 2, my friend. Put a person on
> either side of you and one of you will definitely get cancer. That is a
> really scary way to look at it."
>
> Now off for an afternoon ride.
>
> Gary

Thanks Gary. It doesn't matter. Pete will be Pete. I got my point
across to everyone else. Cancer is bad, period. I am lucky and honored
to work for an organization that is trying to eliminate the disease. If
one person shows up to the event because of my post, it was worth it.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

JD wrote:
> Corvus Corvax wrote:
> > With respect to the original topic: I finally saw the commercial in
> > question, and I can't imagine what the fuss is about. Some guy

skids
> > bike in a muddy parking lot. So?

> To the trained eye like yours, it was just a parking lot. I know

this
> one doof who occasionally posts here that relishes in taking huge
> parking lot skids and it's funny as hell. To joe blow average

american
> cluebie, that scumbag "mountain biker" in the commercial was skidding
> his mt dew charged bike all over the trail, ruining the landscape.
> Perception to those in the know as opposed to those with little to no
> clue has a vast sea in-between, my physics-minded friend.

I thought he could've been in an xterra race. Rain or shine... the
race goes on. Nissan sponsers the series you know.

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For your new Xterra commerical which shows a "mountain biker" tearing up
> muddy trails and finishing off with a trail destroying powerslide.
> Doesn't that send a good message.

Mountain biker is Shaums March. What you don't see is that he's riding in a
private Moto-X park. Those trails are beaten up by Moto-X bikes already.

"jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> For your new Xterra commerical which shows a "mountain biker" tearing up
>> muddy trails and finishing off with a trail destroying powerslide.
>> Doesn't that send a good message.

> Mountain biker is Shaums March. What you don't see is that he's riding in
> private Moto-X park. Those trails are beaten up by Moto-X bikes already.

That's the point though,

the viewers assume it's pristine wilderness and the baby bunnies and baby
does are running for cover with sheer terror in their big brown eyes!!!!!

D. Dub wrote:
> "jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> For your new Xterra commerical which shows a "mountain biker"

tearing up
> >> muddy trails and finishing off with a trail destroying powerslide.
> >> Doesn't that send a good message.

> > Mountain biker is Shaums March. What you don't see is that he's

riding in
> > private Moto-X park. Those trails are beaten up by Moto-X bikes

already.

> That's the point though,
>
> the viewers assume it's pristine wilderness and the baby bunnies and

baby
> does are running for cover with sheer terror in their big brown

eyes!!!!!

And you would expect a namedropper to understand this to begin with?
blah blah blah Shaums March blah blah blah

JD

> D. Dub wrote:
> > "jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> tearing up
> > >
> > > Mountain biker is Shaums March. What you don't see is that he's

> riding in
> > > private Moto-X park. Those trails are beaten up by Moto-X bikes

> already.
> > >

> > That's the point though,
> >
> > the viewers assume it's pristine wilderness and the baby bunnies and

> baby
> > does are running for cover with sheer terror in their big brown

> eyes!!!!!
>

> And you would expect a namedropper to understand this to begin with?
> blah blah blah Shaums March blah blah blah
>
> JD

I don't know Shaums March. The original poster didn't know who "a mountain
biker" was either. A righteous avocate like yourself can explain your
problem with public perception to Mr. Powerslide himself. Maybe you can
suggest a disclaimer at the end of the commercial that "No trails were
harmed in the production of this commercial"

jack wrote:
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>D. Dub wrote:
>>
>>>"jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>tearing up

>>riding in

>>already.
>>

>>>That's the point though,
>>>
>>>the viewers assume it's pristine wilderness and the baby bunnies and

>>baby
>>
>>>does are running for cover with sheer terror in their big brown

>>eyes!!!!!
>>

>>And you would expect a namedropper to understand this to begin with?
>>blah blah blah Shaums March blah blah blah
>>
>>JD

> I don't know Shaums March. The original poster didn't know who "a mountain
> biker" was either. A righteous avocate like yourself can explain your
> problem with public perception to Mr. Powerslide himself. Maybe you can
> suggest a disclaimer at the end of the commercial that "No trails were
> harmed in the production of this commercial"

I was the OP and I am "a mountain biker" and certainly know what one is.
I don't give a **** where the commerical was filmed or which dewbie
starred in it. As a person who maintains and fights for trail use in my
area, I know what the people off the street looking for action and
"other non mountain biker" users think when they see that commercial.
The barnies think, "wow, that's some wicked shiat. I'm gonna git me a
mountain bike from Wal-mart and rip some trails". The non-mtb users
think, "see, that's why we have to stop those damn bikers from ruining
our trails. We keep telling them not to ride when it's wet and they do
it anyway". They don't relate it to a fictional commercial.

Maybe you don't have the trail use issues we have. Unfortunately, I
live in an overpopulated and overdeveloped metropolitan cess pool. I
have to fight for every square inch of land I ride on. That commerical
does not help my situation.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> jack wrote:
> > "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> >>tearing up

> >>riding in

> >>already.

> >>baby

> >>eyes!!!!!
> >>

> >>And you would expect a namedropper to understand this to begin with?
> >>blah blah blah Shaums March blah blah blah
> >>
> >>JD

> > I don't know Shaums March. The original poster didn't know who "a

mountain
> > biker" was either. A righteous avocate like yourself can explain your
> > problem with public perception to Mr. Powerslide himself. Maybe you can
> > suggest a disclaimer at the end of the commercial that "No trails were
> > harmed in the production of this commercial"
> >

> I was the OP and I am "a mountain biker" and certainly know what one is.
> I don't give a **** where the commerical was filmed or which dewbie
> starred in it. As a person who maintains and fights for trail use in my
> area, I know what the people off the street looking for action and
> "other non mountain biker" users think when they see that commercial.
> The barnies think, "wow, that's some wicked shiat. I'm gonna git me a
> mountain bike from Wal-mart and rip some trails". The non-mtb users
> think, "see, that's why we have to stop those damn bikers from ruining
> our trails. We keep telling them not to ride when it's wet and they do
> it anyway". They don't relate it to a fictional commercial.
>
> Maybe you don't have the trail use issues we have. Unfortunately, I
> live in an overpopulated and overdeveloped metropolitan cess pool. I
> have to fight for every square inch of land I ride on. That commerical
> does not help my situation.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

"For your new Xterra commerical which shows a "mountain biker""

is Shaums March.

Contact the Dewbie about your concerns. He either doesn't give a sh*T about
your concerns or perhaps didn't see the PUBLIC PERCEPTION. He may be in a
position to influence future commercials. Who knows the Dewbie might spread
the word to other "blah blah (insert name) blah blah." All Dewbies incomes
are based on public recognition and prestige. Look at the basketball Dewbie
who lost significant income because of a PUBLIC PERCEIVED misstep.

jack wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>jack wrote:
>>
>>>"JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>I don't know Shaums March. The original poster didn't know who "a

> mountain
>
>>>biker" was either. A righteous avocate like yourself can explain your
>>>problem with public perception to Mr. Powerslide himself. Maybe you can
>>>suggest a disclaimer at the end of the commercial that "No trails were
>>>harmed in the production of this commercial"
>>>

>>I was the OP and I am "a mountain biker" and certainly know what one is.
>> I don't give a **** where the commerical was filmed or which dewbie
>>starred in it. As a person who maintains and fights for trail use in my
>>area, I know what the people off the street looking for action and
>>"other non mountain biker" users think when they see that commercial.
>>The barnies think, "wow, that's some wicked shiat. I'm gonna git me a
>>mountain bike from Wal-mart and rip some trails". The non-mtb users
>>think, "see, that's why we have to stop those damn bikers from ruining
>>our trails. We keep telling them not to ride when it's wet and they do
>>it anyway". They don't relate it to a fictional commercial.
>>
>>Maybe you don't have the trail use issues we have. Unfortunately, I
>>live in an overpopulated and overdeveloped metropolitan cess pool. I
>>have to fight for every square inch of land I ride on. That commerical
>>does not help my situation.
>>
>>--
>>o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>>www.schnauzers.ws

> "For your new Xterra commerical which shows a "mountain biker""
>
> is Shaums March.
>
> Contact the Dewbie about your concerns. He either doesn't give a sh*T about
> your concerns or perhaps didn't see the PUBLIC PERCEPTION. He may be in a
> position to influence future commercials. Who knows the Dewbie might spread
> the word to other "blah blah (insert name) blah blah." All Dewbies incomes
> are based on public recognition and prestige. Look at the basketball Dewbie
> who lost significant income because of a PUBLIC PERCEIVED misstep.

Please don't tell me you are comparing professional basketball players
to "professional" mountain bikers (if there really is such a thing).
We're talking about a guy who losing sponsorship still nets him over 8
million a year compared to a guy who makes what? $30,000 a year when
you take away the free swag, gear, and through in his bike mech job at
the end of the race? I don't think he's in a position to influence
which way he pisses, let alone a multibillion dollar automotive company.

The "perception" was for him to realize. I guess when you don't make
that much money and someone throws a meaty bone at you, perception is
blurry.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

jack wrote:
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > D. Dub wrote:
> > > "jack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > tearing up

powerslide.

he's
> > riding in

bikes
> > already.
> > > >

> > > That's the point though,
> > >
> > > the viewers assume it's pristine wilderness and the baby bunnies

and
> > baby
> > > does are running for cover with sheer terror in their big brown

> > eyes!!!!!
> >

> > And you would expect a namedropper to understand this to begin

with?
> > blah blah blah Shaums March blah blah blah
> >
> > JD

> I don't know Shaums March. The original poster didn't know who "a

mountain
> biker" was either. A righteous avocate like yourself can explain

your
> problem with public perception to Mr. Powerslide himself. Maybe you

can
> suggest a disclaimer at the end of the commercial that "No trails

were
> harmed in the production of this commercial"

I figured it was at least two degrees to Kevin Bacon, with you dropping
his name and all. It doesn't matter who the powerslider was, what
matters is the perception the public is getting about mountain biking
from that crappy commercial. Nissan is the bad guy here. Get it yet?

JD

JD wrote:
> jack wrote:
>
>>"JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...

>>>tearing up

> powerslide.

> he's
>
>>>riding in

> bikes
>
>>>already.

> and
>
>>>baby

>>>eyes!!!!!
>>>

>>>And you would expect a namedropper to understand this to begin

> with?
>
>>>blah blah blah Shaums March blah blah blah
>>>
>>>JD

>>I don't know Shaums March. The original poster didn't know who "a

> mountain
>
>>biker" was either. A righteous avocate like yourself can explain

> your
>
>>problem with public perception to Mr. Powerslide himself. Maybe you

> can
>
>>suggest a disclaimer at the end of the commercial that "No trails

> were
>
>>harmed in the production of this commercial"

> I figured it was at least two degrees to Kevin Bacon, with you dropping
> his name and all. It doesn't matter who the powerslider was, what
> matters is the perception the public is getting about mountain biking
> from that crappy commercial. Nissan is the bad guy here. Get it yet?
>
> JD

Thick scull, JD. We need a bigger drill!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> JD wrote:
> > jack wrote:
> >
> >>"JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>news:[email protected]...

> > powerslide.

> > he's

> > bikes

> > and

> > with?

> >>I don't know Shaums March. The original poster didn't know who "a

> > mountain
> >
> >>biker" was either. A righteous avocate like yourself can explain

> > your
> >
> >>problem with public perception to Mr. Powerslide himself. Maybe

you

> > can
> >
> >>suggest a disclaimer at the end of the commercial that "No trails

> > were
> >
> >>harmed in the production of this commercial"

> > I figured it was at least two degrees to Kevin Bacon, with you

dropping
> > his name and all. It doesn't matter who the powerslider was, what
> > matters is the perception the public is getting about mountain

biking
> > from that crappy commercial. Nissan is the bad guy here. Get it

yet?

> > JD
> >

> Thick scull, JD. We need a bigger drill!

Either that, or a thick catamaran. A drill press might help.

JD

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> JD wrote:
> > jack wrote:
> >
> >>"JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>news:[email protected]...

> > powerslide.

> > he's

> > bikes

> > and

> > with?

> >>I don't know Shaums March. The original poster didn't know who "a

> > mountain
> >
> >>biker" was either. A righteous avocate like yourself can explain

> > your
> >
> >>problem with public perception to Mr. Powerslide himself. Maybe you

> > can
> >
> >>suggest a disclaimer at the end of the commercial that "No trails

> > were
> >
> >>harmed in the production of this commercial"

> > I figured it was at least two degrees to Kevin Bacon, with you dropping
> > his name and all. It doesn't matter who the powerslider was, what
> > matters is the perception the public is getting about mountain biking
> > from that crappy commercial. Nissan is the bad guy here. Get it yet?
> >
> > JD
> >

> Thick scull, JD. We need a bigger drill!
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

Not a big picture person are you.

> I figured it was at least two degrees to Kevin Bacon, with you dropping
> his name and all. It doesn't matter who the powerslider was, what
> matters is the perception the public is getting about mountain biking
> from that crappy commercial. Nissan is the bad guy here. Get it yet?
>
> JD

Agree that Nissan is the bad guy here but not because of the mtb portion of
the crappy commercial.

jack wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > JD wrote:

> > > powerslide.

> > > he's

> > > bikes

bunnies

> > > and

> > > with?

"a

> > > mountain

> > > your

you

> > > can

> > > were

> > > I figured it was at least two degrees to Kevin Bacon, with you

dropping
> > > his name and all. It doesn't matter who the powerslider was,

what
> > > matters is the perception the public is getting about mountain

biking
> > > from that crappy commercial. Nissan is the bad guy here. Get it

yet?

> > > JD
> > >

> > Thick scull, JD. We need a bigger drill!
> >
> > --
> > o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> > www.schnauzers.ws

> Not a big picture person are you.

Ah beht hee needz a picshur ta splain anythin.

JD

> jack wrote:
>> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > tearing up

> powerslide.

> he's
>> > riding in

> bikes
>> > already.

> and
>> > baby
>> > eyes!!!!!
>> >

>> > And you would expect a namedropper to understand this to begin

> with?
>> > blah blah blah Shaums March blah blah blah
>> >
>> > JD

>> I don't know Shaums March. The original poster didn't know who "a

> mountain
>> biker" was either. A righteous avocate like yourself can explain

> your
>> problem with public perception to Mr. Powerslide himself. Maybe you

> can
>> suggest a disclaimer at the end of the commercial that "No trails

> were
>> harmed in the production of this commercial"

> I figured it was at least two degrees to Kevin Bacon, with you dropping
> his name and all. It doesn't matter who the powerslider was, what
> matters is the perception the public is getting about mountain biking
> from that crappy commercial. Nissan is the bad guy here. Get it yet?
>
> JD

Is it me, or does anyone else this find the irony in this post almost too
much to bear?

Dave W wrote:
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > I figured it was at least two degrees to Kevin Bacon, with you

dropping
> > his name and all. It doesn't matter who the powerslider was, what
> > matters is the perception the public is getting about mountain

biking
> > from that crappy commercial. Nissan is the bad guy here. Get it

yet?

> Is it me, or does anyone else this find the irony in this post almost

too
> much to bear?

Must be you - I didn't see any irony in the post.

E.P.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Dave W wrote:
>> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> >

>> > I figured it was at least two degrees to Kevin Bacon, with you

> dropping
>> > his name and all. It doesn't matter who the powerslider was, what
>> > matters is the perception the public is getting about mountain

> biking
>> > from that crappy commercial. Nissan is the bad guy here. Get it

> yet?
>> >

>> Is it me, or does anyone else this find the irony in this post almost

> too
>> much to bear?

> Must be you - I didn't see any irony in the post.
>
> E.P.

public perception? coming from JD?

yeah, must be me.

Dave (still damn funny though)