Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Slime Sealant or Slime liner ?

Started by UltraEGG · · Last activity · 8 posts · 608 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 June 2004
Last activity
25 June 2004
Original author
UltraEGG
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
608
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,
    Slime sealant or slime liner, which one you prefer?
    Here is what I think...

    Good-01:
    Very fine sealant that automatically seal off punch while your wheels are
    spining.
    Good-02:
    No hassle on installing the tube and the tire.
    Good-03:
    Take me home. Although it won't patch the wound forever and ever and ever
    and ever and.....but at least it can let me ride home instead or hike home.

    Bad-01:
    Almost unpatchable. Once it has punch through over the limit it can take,
    slime will rush out from the punch hole even I have a patch on it.
    Bad-02:
    Un-reuseable, I've try to cut the punched tube and try to leak the slime
    back to the bottle and put it on another tire. And I've found out it is a
    very stupid idea...

    I'm planning to switch over the the Slime liner, it is much expensive than
    the bottle slime but it seems reuseable and work better, I think...

    What do u think?
    Thanks,
    Eric

  2. On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 05:53:28 GMT, "UltraEGG" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,
    Slime sealant or slime liner, which one you prefer?
    Here is what I think...

    Good-01:
    Very fine sealant that automatically seal off punch while your wheels are
    spining.
    Good-02:
    No hassle on installing the tube and the tire.
    Good-03:
    Take me home. Although it won't patch the wound forever and ever and ever
    and ever and.....but at least it can let me ride home instead or hike home.

    Bad-01:
    Almost unpatchable. Once it has punch through over the limit it can take,
    slime will rush out from the punch hole even I have a patch on it.
    Bad-02:
    Un-reuseable, I've try to cut the punched tube and try to leak the slime
    back to the bottle and put it on another tire. And I've found out it is a
    very stupid idea...

    I'm planning to switch over the the Slime liner, it is much expensive than
    the bottle slime but it seems reuseable and work better, I think...

    What do u think?
    Thanks,
    Eric


    I just use the extra thick thorn proof inner tubes without slime and
    haven't had a flat in 10,000 miles. Some regions of the country have
    more nasty goat heads that can get through kevlar layers in tires and
    as you say the slime will usually get you home. A thick inner tube
    has some "give" so after partial penetration a thorn trampolines
    rather than penetrates. The only drawback of thick tubes is a little
    extra weight (I gave up all pursuit bike aspirations when I added Wald
    folding baskets anyways).

  3. On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 05:53:28 GMT, "UltraEGG" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,
    Slime sealant or slime liner, which one you prefer?
    Here is what I think...

    Good-01:
    Very fine sealant that automatically seal off punch while your wheels are
    spining.

    Maybe.

    Quoted message said:

    Good-02:
    No hassle on installing the tube and the tire.

    If the sealant gets out of the tube, increased hassle.

    Quoted message said:

    Good-03:
    Take me home. Although it won't patch the wound forever and ever and ever
    and ever and.....but at least it can let me ride home instead or hike home.

    Maybe, but it will often increase the difficulty of patching the tube
    successfully.

    Quoted message said:

    Bad-01:
    Almost unpatchable. Once it has punch through over the limit it can take,
    slime will rush out from the punch hole even I have a patch on it.

    Yup.

    Quoted message said:

    Bad-02:
    Un-reuseable, I've try to cut the punched tube and try to leak the slime
    back to the bottle and put it on another tire. And I've found out it is a
    very stupid idea...

    Also true.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm planning to switch over the the Slime liner, it is much expensive than
    the bottle slime but it seems reuseable and work better, I think...

    The liner can reduce the number of punctures if the puncturing item is
    short enough. It can't seal a leak, but Slime won't always do that
    anyway, and can render the tube unpatchable. In areas where punctures
    are common enough to make the theoretical value of Slime sealant high
    enough to be worth the cost, it will (in my opinion) be likely to be
    more of a headache than an asset...and where the puncture rate is low
    enough, the phrase "Why bother?" comes to mind.

    My approach: Carry a spare tube and a patch kit. I don't bother with
    liners. If I have to ride where punctures are common, I might
    consider a liner, but I won't trust a tire sealant.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Surrealism is a pectinated ranzel.

  4. "UltraEGG" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,
    Slime sealant or slime liner, which one you prefer?
    Here is what I think...

    Good-01:
    Very fine sealant that automatically seal off punch while your wheels are
    spining.
    Good-02:
    No hassle on installing the tube and the tire.
    Good-03:
    Take me home. Although it won't patch the wound forever and ever and ever
    and ever and.....but at least it can let me ride home instead or hike home.

    Bad-01:
    Almost unpatchable. Once it has punch through over the limit it can take,
    slime will rush out from the punch hole even I have a patch on it.
    Bad-02:
    Un-reuseable, I've try to cut the punched tube and try to leak the slime
    back to the bottle and put it on another tire. And I've found out it is a
    very stupid idea...


    Bad-03:
    The slime-filled tire may make it difficult to control the bike if you
    get a big puncture that results in a sudden loss of air.

    Quoted message said:

    I'm planning to switch over the the Slime liner, it is much expensive than
    the bottle slime but it seems reuseable and work better, I think...

    What do u think?
    Thanks,
    Eric

  5. UltraEGG said:

    Bad-01:
    Almost unpatchable. Once it has punch through over the limit it can take,
    slime will rush out from the punch hole even I have a patch on it.

    I've had no difficulty at all patching a Slime ultra-light tube;
    at least once I found the hole. Finding the hole can be difficult
    since the slime will often hide it--even from immersion in water.
    Once found, a little sand paper and rubber cement and the patch
    sticks. No problem.

    Quoted message said:

    Bad-02:
    Un-reuseable, I've try to cut the punched tube and try to leak the slime
    back to the bottle and put it on another tire. And I've found out it is a
    very stupid idea...

    I used a pre-slimed tube. I've never tried getting the bottle
    of sealant. This is the one I use:

    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=12791

    Quoted message said:

    I'm planning to switch over the the Slime liner, it is much expensive than
    the bottle slime but it seems reuseable and work better, I think...

    That's the theory anyway.

    --Bill Davidson

  6. Gary Young said:

    Bad-03:
    The slime-filled tire may make it difficult to control the bike if you
    get a big puncture that results in a sudden loss of air.

    How is that different than a regular tube?

    --Bill Davidson

  7. Bill Davidson <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<U5HCc.339$yg.294@fed1read02>...

    Quoted message said:
    Gary Young said:

    Bad-03:
    The slime-filled tire may make it difficult to control the bike if you
    get a big puncture that results in a sudden loss of air.

    How is that different than a regular tube?

    --Bill Davidson

    <http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=4v3aum%24479%40hplms2.hpl.hp.com&output=gplain>

  8. I tried Slime liners and they wore grooves in the sidewalls of my
    tubes. They were installed properly and the tire pressures were
    checked on a daily basis. Now I just buy regular butyl tubes on sale
    and have practiced my tube changing so it is no longer a hassle. When
    I get the old tube home, I patch it and then re-use it the next time I
    need a tube. YMMV.
    Smokey

    "UltraEGG" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,
    Slime sealant or slime liner, which one you prefer?
    Here is what I think...

    Good-01:
    Very fine sealant that automatically seal off punch while your wheels are
    spining.
    Good-02:
    No hassle on installing the tube and the tire.
    Good-03:
    Take me home. Although it won't patch the wound forever and ever and ever
    and ever and.....but at least it can let me ride home instead or hike home.

    Bad-01:
    Almost unpatchable. Once it has punch through over the limit it can take,
    slime will rush out from the punch hole even I have a patch on it.
    Bad-02:
    Un-reuseable, I've try to cut the punched tube and try to leak the slime
    back to the bottle and put it on another tire. And I've found out it is a
    very stupid idea...

    I'm planning to switch over the the Slime liner, it is much expensive than
    the bottle slime but it seems reuseable and work better, I think...

    What do u think?
    Thanks,
    Eric

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.