Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Single speed cranks?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 24 posts · 2,438 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
29 October 2007
Last activity
9 November 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,438
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–24 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Quoth lemmiwinks:

    Quoted message said:

    Ta. I just realised I've got some worn out Shimano Biopace cranks
    that could be pressed into service except the biopace rings are
    elliptical (only the middle ring is worn out) so probably not good for
    hub gears. I tried to get a replacement chainring from the LBS when
    it wore out but they baffled me with BCD figures and generally didn't
    want to help (I still consider this preferable to the thinly veiled
    hostility they normally exhibit).

    Biopace triples use the same ubiquitous 110 mm BCD (Bolt Circle
    Diameter) as "new" compact doubles. There are squadrillions of rings
    available in the 110 mm BCD.

    You've most likely got a 48 tooth ring on that set, give it a try.
    You'll probably need to put it on the "middle" position for good
    chainline, if you're using the original BB.

    Try it, you might like it. I do. I have Biopace rings on both of my
    own Nexus 8 bikes.

    Sheldon "Biopace" Brown
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Most things having to do with fixed-gear/SS are bone stupid, |
    | and folks who usually work on modern bikes aren't used to |
    | thinking at that caveman level. -- Aaron Meberg |
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  2. [email hidden said:

    "]I'm after a 39T single speed crankset to go with my Nexus Inter8 hub
    the LBS is building up for me. They offered the Shimano recommended
    crankset (@$170) which includes outboard bearings. I'm somewhat of a
    luddite (I've only just installed a cartridge bottom bracket to trial)
    and apart from the excessive cost I just don't like the sound of this
    newfangled outboard bearing nonsense.

    Can anyone advise me of some plain-Jane square taper 170mm single
    speed cranks preferably with a 39T chainring? Doesn't have to be
    online, but online is ok, a brand name that I can give to the LBS
    would do (though they are very much like the Soup Nazi (http://
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soup_Nazi) in there so I'm almost afraid to ask).

    Square taper fixie cranks? Campy Pista? Dura-Ace Track? Sugino 75? Or covert an old Shimano or Campy square taper by running single ring where the inner ring would normally go.

    Square taper is coming back I tells ya... narrow q factor, less bearing friction... the world will wake up to it's brilliance...

  3. flyingdutch said:

    you'll need something at least vaguely built for the job.

    Preferably running a tougher chain. IE track or BMX chain.
    That means perferably a thicker toothed chainring. Anything less will struggle and possibly wear and/or snap

    The Alfine chainset that the LBS is recommending is rather good and a steal at that price IMHO.

    Alternatively, if you're a cheapskate, use a bmx chain, bmx cog and the inboard chainring on an old road crankset. Use it till it wears out, then replace with the cheap, slightly more correct alternative... I'm still waiting for mine to wear out after a year and a half of daily commuter punishment.

    Ritch

  4. [email hidden said:

    "]I'm after a 39T single speed crankset to go with my Nexus Inter8 hub
    the LBS is building up for me.

    I replaced the Stock Shimano cranks (non-replaceable chainring) that came with my Nexus 8 setup on my Avanti Blade with a pair of Campy Mirage road cranks. The chainline for the Nexus kit is such that if you put the 39 tooth chainring on the outside, it all works perfectly.

    The Mirage cranks I bought use steel chainrings, which are essentially indestructible. Just the ticket for a commuter that's used and abused.

    Tho looking on the net I note they've changed all their cranks (including Mirage) to the new high-zoot-factor ultra-torque thingies, so they're likely not to be quite as cheap.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.