Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Signing off

Started by Bryan Ball · · Last activity · 62 posts · 2,901 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
8 December 2003
Last activity
14 December 2003
Original author
Bryan Ball
Posts
62
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,901
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–62 of 62
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. [email hidden] wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    Edward Dolan <[email hidden]> wrote:


    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    : I think we should always go by how things look in Google. I think newsreaders do not handle
    : things all the same way. I think 25 threads per page is about right. I have noticed that any
    : thread not in those first 25 threads is dying or already dead.

    I can accept that as being "only your opinion". I don't know why we should take Google as the
    priviledged viewpoint :-) I've also noticed that in Google, often the thread I'm interested in is
    not in the first 25, nor even in the first 50. Maybe because I don't use Google for regular
    reading?

    I suggested Google as the standard as it will appear the same on everyone's computer. Newsreaders
    are not all the same and therefore will appear differently on other's computers. Google is a bit
    confusing when you first encounter it but it grows on you and before you know it you are navigating
    through it without any thought or effort at all.

    If you are going beyond the first 25 threads in Google then you fall into a very small minority.
    Having read nothing but Google I can tell you that it is uncanny how only those first 25 threads are
    in play and once one of those threads fall into the second page they are on their way to oblivion
    never to be seen again (except by those who are doing searches).

    The only problem I have ever had with Google is when the site goes haywire for some strange reason
    and nothing works like it should. But then you know something is wrong and that it will soon be
    fixed. I think a lot of guys are paying top dollar for a newservice which I think is different than
    a newsreader. As you can tell by all of this, I am not a sophisticated computer user and in fact am
    very new to the computer, the Internet and Usenet.

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

    By the way, that was a very good explanation of meta. I realize now that I have never quite
    understood exactly what that term meant my entire life. Are you a professor of philosophy I wonder?

  2. Edward Dolan <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : [email hidden] wrote in message
    : news:<[email hidden]>...

    :> I can accept that as being "only your opinion". I don't know why we should take Google as the
    :> priviledged viewpoint :-) I've also noticed that in Google, often the thread I'm interested in is
    :> not in the first 25, nor even in the first 50. Maybe because I don't use Google for regular
    :> reading?

    : I suggested Google as the standard as it will appear the same on everyone's computer. Newsreaders
    : are not all the same and therefore will appear differently on other's computers. Google is a bit
    : confusing when you first encounter it but it grows on you and before you know it you are
    : navigating through it without any thought or effort at all.

    I think there are newsreaders that would appear the same on everybody's computer 😉

    : By the way, that was a very good explanation of meta. I realize now that I have never
    : quite understood exactly what that term meant my entire life. Are you a professor of
    : philosophy I wonder?

    No, just a philosophy major trying to finally graduate.

    --
    Risto Varanka | helsinki.fi~rvaranka [email hidden]

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.