Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Self-extracting crank cap loose: ok to ride?

Started by Rick Onanian · · Last activity · 15 posts · 1,829 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
31 January 2004
Last activity
7 February 2004
Original author
Rick Onanian
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,829
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
    until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out of
    a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it.

    It does seem tight enough that it won't randomly thread out, but is there any sort of screwing force
    on it that I don't know about?

    I expect the tool will come in before the weather becomes reasonable anyway.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  2. On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:30:53 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
    until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out
    of a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it.

    It does seem tight enough that it won't randomly thread out, but is there any sort of screwing
    force on it that I don't know about?

    I expect the tool will come in before the weather becomes reasonable anyway.

    There's a small danger that it will fall out from vibration, but it won't affect the bolt holding
    your crank on. Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts Your milage may vary

  3. being as it doesn't hold the crank on, and they tend to fall out & get lost if loose, & be
    expensive/imossible to replace, i'd ride without it until the tool arrives.

    Rick Onanian said:

    Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
    until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out
    of a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it.

    It does seem tight enough that it won't randomly thread out, but is there any sort of screwing
    force on it that I don't know about?

    I expect the tool will come in before the weather becomes reasonable anyway.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  4. On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 15:30:53 -0500, Rick Onanian <[email hidden]>

    may have said:

    Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
    until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out
    of a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it.

    Remove cap.

    Place in safe receptacle.

    Ride bike until tool arrives.

    Replace cap properly.

    This is preferable to wondering if the cap will still be there when the tool comes in. If you're
    worried about crud in the hole, put a piece of the handyman's secret weapon (duct tape) over it for
    now. (You *do* have duct tape in a color that matches your frame, right?)

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
    it's also possible that I'm busy.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  5. Rick Onanian said:

    Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
    until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out
    of a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it.

    It does seem tight enough that it won't randomly thread out, but is there any sort of screwing
    force on it that I don't know about?

    As Jobst points out in the FAQ:

    "Dust caps" aren't just dust caps but retention for loose bolts. It is not that the bolt unscrews
    but that the crank moves up the taper. However, once the screw is unloaded it can subsequently
    unscrew and fall out if there is no cap.

    draco.acs.uci.edu8f.11.html

    I would use a punch and lightly tap the dust cap to tighten it a bit until the proper tool arrives.

    Art Harris

  6. Arthur Harris said:
    Rick Onanian said:

    Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
    until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out
    of a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it.

    It does seem tight enough that it won't randomly thread out, but is there any sort of screwing
    force on it that I don't know about?

    As Jobst points out in the FAQ:

    "Dust caps" aren't just dust caps but retention for loose bolts. It is not that the bolt unscrews
    but that the crank moves up the taper. However, once the screw is unloaded it can subsequently
    unscrew and fall out if there is no cap.

    draco.acs.uci.edu8f.11.html

    I would use a punch and lightly tap the dust cap to tighten it a bit until the proper tool
    arrives.

    One could simply fill the cavity with Shoe Goo, Form-a-Gasket or a similar substance.

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities

  7. Arthur Harris said:
    Rick Onanian said:

    Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
    until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out
    of a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it.

    It does seem tight enough that it won't randomly thread out, but is there any sort of screwing
    force on it that I don't know about?

    As Jobst points out in the FAQ:

    "Dust caps" aren't just dust caps but retention for loose bolts. It is not that the bolt unscrews
    but that the crank moves up the taper. However, once the screw is unloaded it can subsequently
    unscrew and fall out if there is no cap.

    Isn't he talking about the conventional non-extracting type? In any case, a bit of threadlock stops
    them coming loose.

  8. On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 08:18:59 -0600, Tom Sherman

    may have said:

    One could simply fill the cavity with Shoe Goo, Form-a-Gasket or a similar substance.

    And have the devil's own time getting the wrench on the bolt for the next removal. (If the cranks in
    question were not of the self-extracting variety, the problem would be even worse due to clogging of
    the extraction threads with the goo.)

    Unfortunately, using loctite on the threads of the bolt may also be a bad idea, as it changes the
    torquing characteristics of the bolt.

    Both of those things said, lots of people ride very long distances with no dust caps, and don't seem
    to have a problem.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Yes, I have a killfile. If I don't respond to something,
    it's also possible that I'm busy.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  9. Rick Onanian <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
    until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out
    of a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it.

    It does seem tight enough that it won't randomly thread out, but is there any sort of screwing
    force on it that I don't know about?

    I expect the tool will come in before the weather becomes reasonable anyway.

    Its unlikely to fall out in the week or so before your tool arrives. However, the self-extracting
    mechanism, although ingenious, isn't real reliable. You didn't mention which crank you have but if
    it is a Shimano type with a hollow bottom bracket spindle, you can buy a small tool to use for
    pulling the crank. It caps the hollow BB spindle and you can then use a conventional crank puller on
    it. The Shimano PN is TLFC15.

    Tom

  10. Quoted message said:

    Rick Onanian <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
    until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out
    of a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it. It does seem tight enough that it
    won't randomly thread out, but is there any sort of screwing force on it that I don't know about?
    I expect the tool will come in before the weather becomes reasonable anyway.

    Thomas Reynolds said:

    Its unlikely to fall out in the week or so before your tool arrives. However, the self-extracting
    mechanism, although ingenious, isn't real reliable. You didn't mention which crank you have but if
    it is a Shimano type with a hollow bottom bracket spindle, you can buy a small tool to use for
    pulling the crank. It caps the hollow BB spindle and you can then use a conventional crank puller
    on it. The Shimano PN is TLFC15.

    I'm well known as being skeptical of everything new but I don't see why you say these are
    not reliable.

    From the original Sugino Autex to Shimano's OneKeyRelease to Campagnolo's left-threaded device,
    even Steve Miller's SpeedMetal covers - they all seem to work reliably as long as the cover is
    tight in the crank and the bolt is lubricated on both sides.

    I can't recall one which did not secure the arm properly or failed to remove it, except where gross
    mechanic ineptitude was at fault. (dry fasteners) Can you?

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  11. Werehatrack said:

    Remove cap. Ride bike until tool arrives.

    Cool.

    Quoted message said:

    (You *do* have duct tape in a color that matches your frame, right?)

    Yellow. Yes.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  12. Rick Onanian <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Is it okay to ride with the "dust cap" ring on my new self-extracting crank insufficiently torqued
    until my pin spanner comes in via mail order? I've tightened it with a tool that I improvised out
    of a snap ring plier set, but I can't get much torque into it.

    It does seem tight enough that it won't randomly thread out, but is there any sort of screwing
    force on it that I don't know about?

    I expect the tool will come in before the weather becomes reasonable anyway.

    Hi Rick, did you try using the included tool? I found that the tool Shimano includes for use with
    the chainrings, has two pins on one end that is the correct size for the dust cap. I just got my new
    DA triple and it worked fine. The install on the BB and crankset went like clockwork. Next is the
    new bars, stem and DA brifters. It will be my first time running and installing cables, should be
    interesting. Life is Good! Jeff

  13. On 5 Feb 2004 17:48:54 -0800, [email hidden] (Jeff Starr)

    Quoted message said:

    Hi Rick, did you try using the included tool? I found that the tool Shimano includes for use with
    the chainrings, has two pins on one end that is the correct size for the dust cap. I just got my
    new DA triple

    Er...I don't think the Ultegra comes with it. I don't remember seeing a tool in there.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  14. Rick Onanian <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    (Jeff Starr) said:

    Hi Rick, did you try using the included tool? I found that the tool Shimano includes for use with
    the chainrings, has two pins on one end that is the correct size for the dust cap. I just got my
    new DA triple

    Er...I don't think the Ultegra comes with it. I don't remember seeing a tool in there.

    Hi Rick, here is what it looks like, mine was included.

    cambriabike.comshimano tl fc20 chainring tool.htm

    I put my new Easton carbon fiber bars and the DA levers on today. Tomorrow I'm going to start
    running the cables. So far, so good. Life is Good! Jeff

  15. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Er...I don't think the Ultegra comes with it. I don't remember seeing a tool in there.


    (Jeff Starr) said:

    Hi Rick, here is what it looks like, mine was included. cambriabike.comshimano tl
    fc20_chainring_tool.htm

    Definitely not included with my Ultegra crank. I bought it from Cambria, and it came in a
    retail box.

    I ordered this tool, on backorder right now: cambriabike.compark spa 6 spanner.htm

    If I need a chainring bolt tool, I'll buy that when I need it.

    Quoted message said:

    Life is Good!

    It certainly is.
    --
    Rick Onanian

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.