General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Seasoning enameled cast iron

Started by Mikie · · Last activity · 7 posts · 125 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
28 June 2007
Last activity
1 July 2007
Original author
Mikie
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
125
Views / 30 days
7

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Me, Rookie Cookie! Wish I were P Prudhomme!

    I have a skillet that's enameled on the outside only. I think I was
    ripped off because now I see cast iron cookware that's enameled on
    the inside AND the outside. Whatever, ...the inside is jet black.
    with a very sandy, finish...in fact, I found some of this black gtit
    in the box when I bought the fry pan.

    I want to use it but I keep hearing about seasoning it first! Duh?
    Seasoning? Help? Whas dat?

    I think I'll look for a good wife to worry about this cooking thing!

    Thanks for your help

    Mikie

  2. "Mikie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Me, Rookie Cookie! Wish I were P Prudhomme!

    I have a skillet that's enameled on the outside only. I think I was
    ripped off because now I see cast iron cookware that's enameled on
    the inside AND the outside. Whatever, ...the inside is jet black.
    with a very sandy, finish...in fact, I found some of this black gtit
    in the box when I bought the fry pan.

    I want to use it but I keep hearing about seasoning it first! Duh?
    Seasoning? Help? Whas dat?

    I think I'll look for a good wife to worry about this cooking thing!

    Thanks for your help

    Mikie


    I'm pretty sure you don't have to, nor should you do anything with it. What
    brand and model is it?

    Kent

  3. Mikie said:

    Me, Rookie Cookie! Wish I were P Prudhomme!

    I have a skillet that's enameled on the outside only. I think I was
    ripped off because now I see cast iron cookware that's enameled on
    the inside AND the outside. Whatever, ...the inside is jet black.
    with a very sandy, finish...in fact, I found some of this black gtit
    in the box when I bought the fry pan.

    I want to use it but I keep hearing about seasoning it first! Duh?
    Seasoning? Help? Whas dat?

    I think I'll look for a good wife to worry about this cooking thing!

    Thanks for your help

    Mikie

    There is an active thread on seasoning iron skillets. Read and learn.

    --
    See return address to reply by email

  4. Kent said:

    "Mikie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Me, Rookie Cookie! Wish I were P Prudhomme!

    I'm not all that impressed with Prudhomme.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have a skillet that's enameled on the outside only. I think I was
    ripped off because now I see cast iron cookware that's enameled on
    the inside AND the outside. Whatever, ...the inside is jet black.
    with a very sandy, finish...in fact, I found some of this black gtit
    in the box when I bought the fry pan.
    I want to use it but I keep hearing about seasoning it first! Duh?
    Seasoning? Help? Whas dat?

    I'm pretty sure you don't have to, nor should you do anything with it. What
    brand and model is it?

    Could make the difference. Some new cast iron is seasoned
    at the factory.

    But if the grit is from sandblasting, then the surface
    is unseasoned.

    But really, if you're a brand new cook, cast iron is out
    of your league. Even seasoned it's tricky to use and its
    value is subtle. Get a nonstick-coated pan.

    --Blair

  5. Blair P. Houghton said:


    But really, if you're a brand new cook, cast iron is out
    of your league. Even seasoned it's tricky to use and its
    value is subtle. Get a nonstick-coated pan.

    --Blair


    Tricky? You're kidding, right?

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  6. "Blair P. Houghton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Could make the difference. Some new cast iron is seasoned
    at the factory.

    But if the grit is from sandblasting, then the surface
    is unseasoned.

    But really, if you're a brand new cook, cast iron is out
    of your league. Even seasoned it's tricky to use and its
    value is subtle. Get a nonstick-coated pan.

    --Blair

    How's it tricky to use? There's very little you can do to cast iron to hurt
    it. You can even wash it and let it get rusty and that doesn't actually
    hurt it.

    Ms P

  7. Ms P said:


    "Blair P. Houghton" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Could make the difference. Some new cast iron is seasoned
    at the factory.

    But if the grit is from sandblasting, then the surface
    is unseasoned.

    But really, if you're a brand new cook, cast iron is out
    of your league. Even seasoned it's tricky to use and its
    value is subtle. Get a nonstick-coated pan.

    How's it tricky to use? There's very little you can do to cast iron to hurt
    it. You can even wash it and let it get rusty and that doesn't actually
    hurt it.

    I didn't say easy to break; I said tricky to use.

    Seasoning, maintaining seasoning, rejeuvenating seasoning,
    not screwing up your seasoning, knowing if the seasoning
    is working or not, etc.

    Tricky.

    And the way it holds heat is actually a /bad/ thing for
    new cooks. Sometimes you have to reduce the heat quickly
    to stop a mistake. Heavy cast iron takes forever to cool
    down, meaning if something starts to burn, it's going
    to keep burning even if you take it off the burner.
    And they're heavy, which makes taking it off the burner
    harder to do. And then there's the issue if the searing
    handle.

    Nonstick is a much better thing for a new cook. And the
    new nonstick materials are much tougher and nonstickier
    than they were when we were kids.

    --Blair

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.