Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

RR: Yesterday

Started by Ride-A-Lot · · Last activity · 36 posts · 2,353 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
10 January 2005
Last activity
14 January 2005
Original author
Ride-A-Lot
Posts
36
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,353
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–36 of 36
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Ride-A-Lot said:


    You people make me sick with all your mountains and powder! I dare
    you to come ski the freshly handmade ice in the Poconos!

    You want ice -- been to Blue Knob?!?

    When I first moved to CA in '82 and went skiing, I'd hear people [censored]
    about "icy conditions" and I had to laugh. They don't know what /real/ ice
    is!

    Bill "learned how to hold an edge, at least" S.

  2. Ride-A-Lot said:
    MattB said:
    Shawn said:

    MattB wrote:

    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    >
    >
    >
    > Hope you feel better! Did you see that slide that closed Monarch and
    > stranded some cars? Lucky for me it was on your side!
    >
    > Yeah it is some weird weather lately. I skied Monarch yesterday (in
    > a raging blizzard) and it was unusually warm, like 30* in the
    > morning, but as the storm took hold the temps dropped quite a bit.
    > They got another 19" last night...
    >
    > Yesterday at Monarch:
    > http://mattb.net/images/galleries/2004-01-11/DSC00595.JPG

    Nice pic, were you on Ricochet?
    I heard about the slide on the radio. Glad nobody got trapped.
    19"! Better there than here. We got 1/2" last night.
    I think I burned this bug out of my system. Pretty nasty, only the
    cats and my daughter seemed to have been spared. If my son is well
    enough to go to school tomorrow, I'll try to hit Monarch.

    Shawn

    I actually never skied the park at Ricochet - that was that pointy
    rock at the very top of High Anxiety. Terrain parks just don't grab my
    interest like deep powder and boulders and cliffs do.

    I'm sure it will still be great tomorrow. We skied Gunbarrel first and
    last run yesterday and it was great for first run and even better for
    last run!

    Have fun if you get out!

    Matt (will likely be back there this weekend)

    You people make me sick with all your mountains and powder! I dare you
    to come ski the freshly handmade ice in the Poconos!


    Hey I went on a ski vacation in the Poconos when I was a kid (lived in
    Delaware then). Course I was so sick I never got out of the hotel.
    Hmm, sounds like I'm sick all the time-not true, just coincidence.

    Shawn

  3. Bill Sornson said:
    Ride-A-Lot said:

    You people make me sick with all your mountains and powder! I dare
    you to come ski the freshly handmade ice in the Poconos!

    You want ice -- been to Blue Knob?!?

    When I first moved to CA in '82 and went skiing, I'd hear people [censored]
    about "icy conditions" and I had to laugh. They don't know what /real/ ice
    is!

    Bill "learned how to hold an edge, at least" S.


    Yikes, they've gotten less snow this season than Monarch's had since
    yesterday! One of many reasons I'm glad my family left Altoona
    (although I hear it's much nicer these days).

    Shawn

  4. Shawn said:
    Bill Sornson said:
    Ride-A-Lot said:

    You people make me sick with all your mountains and powder! I dare
    you to come ski the freshly handmade ice in the Poconos!

    You want ice -- been to Blue Knob?!?

    When I first moved to CA in '82 and went skiing, I'd hear people [censored]
    about "icy conditions" and I had to laugh. They don't know what
    /real/ ice
    is!

    Bill "learned how to hold an edge, at least" S.


    Yikes, they've gotten less snow this season than Monarch's had since
    yesterday! One of many reasons I'm glad my family left Altoona
    (although I hear it's much nicer these days).

    Shawn

    Are we starting a thread on "Why I don't live in PA anymore?"
    Bet my list is longer than yours.

    Craig of the Berks County Brossmans.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
    remove "mydebt" to reply

  5. Craig Brossman said:
    Shawn said:
    Bill Sornson said:

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:

    > You people make me sick with all your mountains and powder! I dare
    > you to come ski the freshly handmade ice in the Poconos!

    You want ice -- been to Blue Knob?!?

    When I first moved to CA in '82 and went skiing, I'd hear people
    [censored]
    about "icy conditions" and I had to laugh. They don't know what
    /real/ ice
    is!

    Bill "learned how to hold an edge, at least" S.


    Yikes, they've gotten less snow this season than Monarch's had since
    yesterday! One of many reasons I'm glad my family left Altoona
    (although I hear it's much nicer these days).

    Shawn

    Are we starting a thread on "Why I don't live in PA anymore?"
    Bet my list is longer than yours.

    Craig of the Berks County Brossmans.


    Not me! Never lived there, but my grand parents and parents were born &
    raised in Altoona. My sis was born there too. They upped and split
    for Jersey by the time I came along. Not that NJ is generally seen as
    an improvement. :-)

    Shawn

  6. Shawn said:
    Craig Brossman said:
    Shawn said:

    Bill Sornson wrote:

    > Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >
    >> You people make me sick with all your mountains and powder! I dare
    >> you to come ski the freshly handmade ice in the Poconos!
    >
    >
    > You want ice -- been to Blue Knob?!?
    >
    > When I first moved to CA in '82 and went skiing, I'd hear people
    > [censored]
    > about "icy conditions" and I had to laugh. They don't know what
    > /real/ ice
    > is!
    >
    > Bill "learned how to hold an edge, at least" S.
    >
    >
    Yikes, they've gotten less snow this season than Monarch's had since
    yesterday! One of many reasons I'm glad my family left Altoona
    (although I hear it's much nicer these days).

    Shawn

    Are we starting a thread on "Why I don't live in PA anymore?"
    Bet my list is longer than yours.

    Craig of the Berks County Brossmans.


    Not me! Never lived there, but my grand parents and parents were born &
    raised in Altoona. My sis was born there too. They upped and split
    for Jersey by the time I came along. Not that NJ is generally seen as
    an improvement. :-)

    Shawn

    Hey! No Jersey bashing!

    Altoona = Pennysticks = Great Pretzel Sticks

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  7. Per Craig Brossman:

    Quoted message said:

    Are we starting a thread on "Why I don't live in PA anymore?"
    Bet my list is longer than yours.

    Having lived in Hawaii for about nine years - and most of the rest near
    Philadelphia PA....I'd offer up that one advantage of this area is that you
    don't get jaded.

    When I was living in Hawaii, in spite of the fact that we used to go on in the
    vein of "Waikiki, Armpit Of The Pacific" and sort of indulgently chuckle at the
    tourists who just couldn't believe how *beautiful* and *clean* everything was...
    just about everywhere else seemed like a comedown.

    OTOH, living near Philly, even the New Jersey Shore looks great to me...in fact
    just about every place I've been has seemed pretty good to me. Geeze, I spent a
    week in Chicago once and thought it was really nice.....

    OTOH, if I could somehow magically uproot my entire extended family, find them
    jobs/houses......New Zealand, here I come....

    --
    PeteCresswell

  8. (Pete Cresswell) said:

    Per Craig Brossman:

    Quoted message said:

    Are we starting a thread on "Why I don't live in PA anymore?"
    Bet my list is longer than yours.

    Having lived in Hawaii for about nine years - and most of the rest near
    Philadelphia PA....I'd offer up that one advantage of this area is that you
    don't get jaded.

    When I was living in Hawaii, in spite of the fact that we used to go on in the
    vein of "Waikiki, Armpit Of The Pacific" and sort of indulgently chuckle at the
    tourists who just couldn't believe how *beautiful* and *clean* everything was...
    just about everywhere else seemed like a comedown.

    OTOH, living near Philly, even the New Jersey Shore looks great to me...in fact
    just about every place I've been has seemed pretty good to me. Geeze, I spent a
    week in Chicago once and thought it was really nice.....

    OTOH, if I could somehow magically uproot my entire extended family, find them
    jobs/houses......New Zealand, here I come....

    I don't mean to put down PA, I have very fond memories of the area and
    still have lots of relatives there.
    The big difference that I noticed when moving out of eastern PA almost
    20 years ago (and still notice when I visit) is the general lack of
    enthusiasm for outdoor activities, really any physical activities (like
    mountain biking) at all.
    Of course generalizations are not fair, and there are plenty of folks
    here who "get at it" in the woods and mountains of rural PA, but it is
    much less common than in an area like, oh I don't know, Durango.
    Oddly enough, in the 15 years of mountain biking, I have never ridden a
    trail east of the Mississippi ... and I would really like to.

    BUT, you just can't beat the sub sandwiches of eastern PA, not the diners!!!

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
    remove "mydebt" to reply

  9. Craig Brossman said:
    (Pete Cresswell) said:

    Per Craig Brossman:

    Quoted message said:

    Are we starting a thread on "Why I don't live in PA anymore?"
    Bet my list is longer than yours.

    Having lived in Hawaii for about nine years - and most of the rest near
    Philadelphia PA....I'd offer up that one advantage of this area is
    that you
    don't get jaded.

    When I was living in Hawaii, in spite of the fact that we used to go
    on in the
    vein of "Waikiki, Armpit Of The Pacific" and sort of indulgently
    chuckle at the
    tourists who just couldn't believe how *beautiful* and *clean*
    everything was...
    just about everywhere else seemed like a comedown.

    OTOH, living near Philly, even the New Jersey Shore looks great to
    me...in fact
    just about every place I've been has seemed pretty good to me. Geeze,
    I spent a
    week in Chicago once and thought it was really nice.....

    OTOH, if I could somehow magically uproot my entire extended family,
    find them
    jobs/houses......New Zealand, here I come....

    I don't mean to put down PA, I have very fond memories of the area and
    still have lots of relatives there.
    The big difference that I noticed when moving out of eastern PA almost
    20 years ago (and still notice when I visit) is the general lack of
    enthusiasm for outdoor activities, really any physical activities (like
    mountain biking) at all.
    Of course generalizations are not fair, and there are plenty of folks
    here who "get at it" in the woods and mountains of rural PA, but it is
    much less common than in an area like, oh I don't know, Durango.
    Oddly enough, in the 15 years of mountain biking, I have never ridden a
    trail east of the Mississippi ... and I would really like to.

    BUT, you just can't beat the sub sandwiches of eastern PA, not the
    diners!!!

    Actually, the clubs in this area do very well. JAR has over 70 paid
    members, DTS is hovering around 50, and Lehigh Valley MBC is 50+, I
    believe.

    Wissahickon Valley Park gets more use than you would imagine. This
    inner-city park averages 800-1200 MTBers per week.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  10. "Ride-A-Lot" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Wissahickon Valley Park gets more use than you would imagine. This


    inner-city park averages 800-1200 MTBers per week.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

    For a city with a 1.5 million population (city only). I suspect a million
    more in the metro area ??

    Philadelphia was recently named the 2nd "fattest" city in the US, second
    only to Houston. Must be all those cheesesteaks.

    Seriously, though, the trails in the area are pretty damn good. And in my
    area, usually pretty empty ;-). I say keep eatin' those cheesesteaks and
    watchin them Eagles. Makes for fewer people on the trail....

    TS

  11. troutboy said:

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Wissahickon Valley Park gets more use than you would imagine. This

    inner-city park averages 800-1200 MTBers per week.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

    For a city with a 1.5 million population (city only). I suspect a million
    more in the metro area ??

    Philadelphia was recently named the 2nd "fattest" city in the US, second
    only to Houston. Must be all those cheesesteaks.

    Seriously, though, the trails in the area are pretty damn good. And in my
    area, usually pretty empty ;-). I say keep eatin' those cheesesteaks and
    watchin them Eagles. Makes for fewer people on the trail....

    TS

    I don't like cheesesteaks. Never did and never will. Now give me a
    Dinic's roast pork sandwich with roasted hot peppers and sharp
    provolone. Haven't had one in a year and don't plan on it. They are
    too addictive and fattening.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  12. troutboy said:

    "Ride-A-Lot" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Wissahickon Valley Park gets more use than you would imagine.


    This

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    inner-city park averages 800-1200 MTBers per week.

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

    For a city with a 1.5 million population (city only). I suspect a


    million

    Quoted message said:

    more in the metro area ??

    Philadelphia was recently named the 2nd "fattest" city in the US,


    second

    Quoted message said:

    only to Houston. Must be all those cheesesteaks.

    If you think that number of ice cream and pizza places, weather, and
    number of sporting goods stores are good ways to measure if a city is
    "fat" or not, then sure. This "study" by Men's Fitness Magazine --
    basically the men's version of Cosmo -- is little more than junk
    science.

    I'm currently a graduate student in the sciences and statistics. The
    criteria Men's Fitness uses is, at best, a shaky guess. There also
    could be other factors... for example, cities with more pizza and ice
    cream places could also mean those areas have more children.

    On the other hand, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) did a more
    scientific study where BMIs from a sample size of the population were
    considered. I don't know why that one gets no publicity, while the junk
    science does. The top cities are a little different.
    http://www.obesity.org/subs/fastfacts/cities.shtml

    And here are a few comments from last week's Houston Chroncle:
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2979999
    "One minute Mayor Bill White debunked Men's Fitness magazine's
    methodology for labeling Houston the nation's fattest city, and the
    next minute he announced a new wellness initiative to combat the label.
    'It's calculated with voodoo and fraud,' White said of the rankings of
    50 cities across the nation featured in the magazine's February issue.
    To determine the rankings, the magazine staff does not actually weigh
    anyone, but examines 14 elements of city life, including the number of
    fast food and pizza restaurants.
    'The rankings themselves are flawed,' White said at a City Hall news
    conference Wednesday. He questioned the fairness of not counting delis
    as fast food places in New York or Chicago, but counting Smoothie Kings
    as fast food places in Houston. Results of the creative formula differ
    from the findings of more official medical research, such as that from
    the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."

    So I would take the Men's Fitness rankings with a grain a salt. Well,
    maybe I wouldn't even give them that. It's just a marketing ploy to
    sell more magazines.

  13. Per Craig Brossman:

    Quoted message said:

    I don't mean to put down PA, I have very fond memories of the area and
    still have lots of relatives there.
    The big difference that I noticed when moving out of eastern PA almost
    20 years ago (and still notice when I visit) is the general lack of
    enthusiasm for outdoor activities, really any physical activities (like
    mountain biking) at all.

    I put it down every chance I get. Third-world roads, filthy city....drivers
    that don't seem to even know their car has turn signals, people graduating from
    high school unable to do simple arithmetic or write a coherant
    sentence....Geeze, I think I'm starting to foam at the mouth....

    My brother was in Temple Med with a lady from Hawaii. One day during a lab she
    sort of sidles up to him and said "John, you grew up here in Philadelphia,
    right?" He says "Yeah, so?" She says "Does it seem like it always rains on
    weekends here"? Broke him up.

    One of the strongest impressions I had when returning to Philly after 9 years
    was how often people complained about the weather. Maybe there's a link there
    with outdoor activity...

    I view that lack as an advantage. The places I ride would probably be largely
    off-limits to bikes if enough people rode for the one-percenters to be a factor.

    --
    PeteCresswell

  14. JP said:

    So I would take the Men's Fitness rankings with a grain a salt. Well,
    maybe I wouldn't even give them that. It's just a marketing ploy to
    sell more magazines.

    Certainly, but eastern PA is still pretty heavy.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
    remove "mydebt" to reply

  15. "JP" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you think that number of ice cream and pizza places, weather, and
    number of sporting goods stores are good ways to measure if a city is
    "fat" or not, then sure. This "study" by Men's Fitness Magazine --
    basically the men's version of Cosmo -- is little more than junk
    science.

    Geez man, nobody takes that Men's Fitness poll seriously ;-) (except the
    cities that get rated top and bottom - Philadelphia actually hired a full
    time staffer and fitness guru to combat the image).

    But the one fact from the website you cited that stood out for me.....
    The city with smallest percentage of overweight adults still has almost half
    it's population overweight !

    Can you supersize that for me, please.

    T

  16. troutboy wrote:
    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    But the one fact from the website you cited that stood out for me.....
    The city with smallest percentage of overweight adults still has almost half
    it's population overweight !

    Can you supersize that for me, please.

    T

    Yeah, that jumped out at me too. That's horrible.

    "We're #1! Only 50% of our population is overweight!"

    Matt

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.