rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Re: narrow hub racing coker

Started by Jim · · Last activity · 23 posts · 578 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
30 January 2008
Last activity
5 February 2008
Original author
Jim
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
578
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. GizmoDuck said:

    Their 'wide' hub I think is pretty standard these days, so don't know
    why they still call it the wide hub to confuse people. I guess it's
    wider than the older hubs like the Suzue.

    Maybe if Koxx, Torker, Suzue, Qu-Ax, Sun, Profile Bedford and the all
    the other unicycle manufacturers start calling their hubs narrow-flange
    then UDC will stop confusing you by calling the UDC hub wide-flange.

    jim

    --
    Jim
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9416
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. Jim said:

    Maybe if Koxx, Torker, Suzue, Qu-Ax, Sun, Profile Bedford and the all
    the other unicycle manufacturers start calling their hubs narrow-flange
    then UDC will stop confusing you by calling the UDC hub wide-flange.

    jim

    Heh, no one's talking flanges here. It's the bearing to bearing
    distance. The extra wide hub has a wider distance, most hubs are the
    same distance as the UDC "wide"

    --
    GizmoDuck

    The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

    The Monguni 2009....Unicycle Tour of Mongolia

    Email me for details.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Its confusing in the first place since most UDC hubs are "wide" hubs
    (for all size unicycles) and then there's the "super wide" hub for the
    36er which some people just call the wide hub when talking about a 36"
    wheel. Luckily, most everyone I know with a 36" has the same hub. So
    theres:

    "normal" hub (original coker stock)
    wide hub (stock for most UDC models)
    super wide (stock UDC 36" wheelsets)

    --
    mouse

    Quoted message said:

    Originally Posted by johnfoss
    Yes, being old makes you stupid.

    Quoted message said:

    Originally Posted by jerrick
    I think we should get off the topic off kinky/horny girls and
    unicycles, and back to creepy horny men.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mouse's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14148
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. This is a complex subject, but basically

    a) there is no difference in the spoke length
    b) there is no difference in the areodynamics (the tire/rim/frame are
    probably 3 orders of magnitude greater effect)
    c) there is significantly more energy lost in wheel flex with a
    narrower hub
    d) if you are racing in mixed terrain, the narrower hub will eliminate
    or drastically reduce the effectiveness of a brake
    e) there is tire/leg interference that will limit the hub's narrowness
    anyway.

    If you are trying to put your feet closer together, then mess with your
    cranks and crank Q, not your hub width.

    My two cents!

    --
    U-Turn

    Weep in the dojo... laugh on the battlefield.
    -- Dave Stockton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    U-Turn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/691
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. +1 Dave. Why put offset cranks on a narrow hub, when you can use
    straight cranks on a wide(r) hub?

    And it's too bad folks keep using undefined terminology. If a "wide"
    hub meant to all a bearing width of 60 to 99mm, and a "superwide" as
    anything over 100mm, then we'd know what we're talking about. But as it
    is, who knows what "wide" means? Why don't we say a "100 hub" instead
    of "superwide"?

    It's just like the maddening terms "commuter", "cruiser" and "touring"
    as used on UDC, when they should just group unicycles by clearly stated
    wheel size.

    --
    unisk8r
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. And having said that, +1 to GizmoDuck too. It's just that hub flange
    width is always a tradeoff, and seems to be a very personal preference
    regardless of pros & cons!

    --
    unisk8r
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. I love my smaller hub, I don't know which one is it, but its not the
    super wide thats on the Nimbuses! I also use cranks with as little q as
    I can find. I like it alot, the less my feet stick out, the more I like
    it. I only ride my 36er on the road, and other smooth surfaces, so its
    perfect for me. I also don't have any problem with super tight turns. I
    do/used to do, alot of stupid stuff on my coker and no problems.

    --
    ntappin

    'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
    (http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ntappin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10800
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. And as for bending the Nimbus frame to accept a narrower bearing
    spacing, yes you can do it, just be sure to adjust the bearing holders
    themselves to be vertical (a padded vice works well), after bending in
    the downtubes from the top.

    --
    unisk8r
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. unisk8r said:

    And having said that, +1 to GizmoDuck too. It's just that hub flange
    width is always a tradeoff, and seems to be a very personal preference
    regardless of pros & cons!

    Hey, I'm all for flanges that are as wide as possible, just not as long
    as it doesn't affect the actual Q-factor. I know the KH and Nimbus
    ISIS hubs have very little clearance between the flange and the
    bearings in order to maximise the flange width. I think the KOXX ISIS
    hubs which have the same bearing spacing have flanges that are closer
    together.

    --
    GizmoDuck

    The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

    The Monguni 2009....Unicycle Tour of Mongolia

    Email me for details.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  10. GizmoDuck said:

    Hey, I'm all for flanges that are as wide as possible, just not as long
    as it doesn't affect the actual Q-factor. I know the KH and Nimbus
    ISIS hubs have very little clearance between the flange and the
    bearings in order to maximise the flange width. I think the KOXX ISIS
    hubs which have the same bearing spacing have flanges that are closer
    together.

    Remember that flange width is actually flange diameter, and flange
    spacing is the distance between the flanges. unisk8r was using them
    distinctly, but I think the following discussion didn't really.
    Unicycle flanges tend to be all the same diameter, which is huge
    compared to many bicycle flanges. Unicycle flanges correctly tend to
    be larger, like track bike flanges, because a unicycle generates a lot
    more axial torque than the typical road bike with gears and rim
    brakes.

    Flange diameter is a only minor player in the wheel stiffness/strength
    geometry of flange spacing and ERD.

    Flange spacing is roughly equivalent to hub width.

    --
    U-Turn

    Weep in the dojo... laugh on the battlefield.
    -- Dave Stockton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    U-Turn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/691
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. U-Turn said:

    Flange spacing is roughly equivalent to hub width.

    Yes I know that, but there are hubs which have the flanges very close
    to the bearings. I know this because I had to make sure there was
    enough clearance for the Ti frame I'm getting from Triton. There is
    not much room for error.

    --
    GizmoDuck

    The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

    The Monguni 2009....Unicycle Tour of Mongolia

    Email me for details.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  12. So in terms of this thread, it sounds like "narrow" means a standard
    small-wheel unicycle hub. That's what my Coker has (that's what they
    all had for the first few years). I've ridden it thousands of miles,
    and on plenty of dirt though not in an abusive way. No problems. As
    long as you don't beat it up with side forces you should be in pretty
    good shape to just use a "regular" unicycle axle.

    And I'm glad to not feel the need for a splined axle & cranks. I'm not
    aware of any splined system (for unicycles) that's built with speed and
    lightness in mind. In fact, the only problem I've had with my Coker's
    hub (not to mention the *cottered* hub on my 45" big wheel from 1982)
    is the worry of wear & tear if I change the cranks a lot. What, are
    people breaking axles and/or cranks on their Cokers?

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss
    Email: "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com
    -----------------------------------------------

    Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
    lately?"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. johnfoss said:


    And I'm glad to not feel the need for a splined axle & cranks. I'm not
    aware of any splined system (for unicycles) that's built with speed and
    lightness in mind. In fact, the only problem I've had with my Coker's
    hub (not to mention the *cottered* hub on my 45" big wheel from 1982)
    is the worry of wear & tear if I change the cranks a lot. What, are
    people breaking axles and/or cranks on their Cokers?

    There is no reason why we can't have a lightweight splined hub except
    that the powers that be only seem interested in catering for the Trials
    and Freestyle market. Most of the top lightweight bike cranks and
    bottom brackets are splined.

    --
    GizmoDuck

    The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

    The Monguni 2009....Unicycle Tour of Mongolia

    Email me for details.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  14. Ken, if I came across as insulting, I'm sorry; that was not my
    intention. It just seemed that the terms were being confused
    throughout the thread.

    One reason for uni.com's term "wide hub" is that the standard old-style
    Coker Big One hub is narrower (flange-to-flange) than both the Suzue
    unicycle hub and the uni.com hub. This is one reason that wheel is so
    weak.

    If you are properly cleaning and lubing the tapers and threads when you
    change cranks, and using a torque wrench, there should be very little
    wear and tear when changing cranks.

    --
    U-Turn

    Weep in the dojo... laugh on the battlefield.
    -- Dave Stockton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    U-Turn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/691
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. It's ok Dave, I wasn't offended. I think we both know what we're
    meaning when talking about flange widths. As you know I'm not a big
    fan of the superwide hubs but we've gone through this before on many
    other threads.

    The current 'wide' hub is a pretty standard size in terms of bearing
    spacing, regardless of the flange width. Not many frames need to be
    bent in order clip onto the bearings. It's only the 'superwide' hubs
    that need special frames to accomodate the wider hubs. So that's why I
    think they should end the confusion and just call the 'wide' hub a std
    hub because you can use a pretty standard frame with it.

    --
    GizmoDuck

    The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

    The Monguni 2009....Unicycle Tour of Mongolia

    Email me for details.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  16. Ken:

    How vas it to "Crank" up in the alps on a narrow hub?

    I only got 2 Coker's, both with wide hub. One width 135mm and another
    with 125mm bearing to bearing width. I do a lot of "Crank"-ing here in
    Norway in the mountains. One of my friends have a unicycle width narrow
    hub. I think it is a 100mm bearing to bearing width hub. He manages to
    go some quicker easier than me (on tarmac, flat and 125mm cranks). But
    when going uphill he seems to lose the speed very fast, compared to me
    with the wider hub and the same crank length 125mm. He must also
    tension the spokes very often. I have never tensioned a spoke on my
    wheels. And have done nearly 10.000km on gravel rods with a lot of
    cranking.

    I maybe build a wheel with narrow hub just to use at flat tarmac. When
    I do Coker Muni and use 150mm cranks and do climbs 10-15% the wheel do
    a lot of flex. I don't think a narrow hub can tackle that. My weight is
    82kg.

    --
    unijuul

    www.unijuul.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unijuul's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13774
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  17. I don't think you can compare your speed and climbing ability with your
    friend. Maybe you're just a better climber than him!

    I had no trouble with the Std UDC hub on the Alps Unitour. It climbed
    and descended pretty well. I've probably had the wheel trued twice
    since I had it built 4yrs ago. I weight 58kg.

    --
    GizmoDuck

    The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

    The Monguni 2009....Unicycle Tour of Mongolia

    Email me for details.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  18. GizmoDuck said:

    I don't think you can compare your speed and climbing ability with your
    friend. Maybe you're just a better climber than him!

    I had no trouble with the Std UDC hub on the Alps Unitour. It climbed
    and descended pretty well. I've probably had the wheel trued twice
    since I had it built 4yrs ago. I weight 58kg.

    had it trued? at a LBS or a uni expert?

    --
    scotthue
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    scotthue's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14601
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  19. scotthue said:

    had it trued? at a LBS or a uni expert?

    LBS. Best wheelbuilder in town

    --
    GizmoDuck

    The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

    The Monguni 2009....Unicycle Tour of Mongolia

    Email me for details.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GizmoDuck's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/794
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  20. GizmoDuck said:

    LBS. Best wheelbuilder in town

    Did he use some sort of custom stand or just by eyeball

    --
    scotthue
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    scotthue's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14601
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/67319

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.