General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Making bacon safe to eat without overcooking

Started by Skinny · · Last activity · 3 posts · 311 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
5 October 2004
Last activity
6 October 2004
Original author
Skinny
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
311
Views / 30 days
6

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Have you tried Oscar Meyer's 'pre-cooked' bacon? It comes in a box in a
    sort of semi-refrigerated shelf in the grocery. I like it very much. If
    warmed slowly, it's limp and has quite a bit of fat. The label says 0 carbs
    in 3 slices, don't see any ringers in the contents.

    There's another brand also in a box on that shelf, slightly cheaper.

    OM's is very different from another 'pre-cooked' bacon I tried a few years
    ago, which was too dry, nothing to it.

    Skinny
    --------------

    Ignoramus7068 said:

    I have a question. I really like raw bacon, but Carmen and other
    convinced me that it is not a good idea to eat it due to dangers of
    trichinosis.

    At the same time, I absolutely positively hate crispy cooked bacon, it
    does not taste like food and cannot be healthy due to high cooking
    temps. Plus, it wastes all that delicious fat.

  2. Skinny said:

    Have you tried Oscar Meyer's 'pre-cooked' bacon? It comes in a box in a
    sort of semi-refrigerated shelf in the grocery. I like it very much. If
    warmed slowly, it's limp and has quite a bit of fat. The label says 0 carbs
    in 3 slices, don't see any ringers in the contents.

    I found Oscar Meyer's pre-cooked to be waaaaay to salty. I much
    prefer the Hormel's pre-cooked. It's cooked to a still soft state.
    I crisp it a few seconds in the microwave, I don't care for it
    completely stiff, but somewhat crispy.

    Plus the Hormels comes in a 60-slice zip-lock package (equivalent to
    3 pounds uncooked) at Sam's club, with the price varying from $6.50
    to $7.50 from month to month. The unopened packages don't even need
    to be refrigerated, and are good in a cabinet at least 6 months.
    Once opened and refrigerated, they last at least 2 months without
    starting to look bad or get off-flavors.

    --
    jamie ([email hidden])

    "There's a seeker born every minute."

  3. That does sound better, thanks!

    Skinny
    ------------

    jamie said:
    Skinny said:

    Have you tried Oscar Meyer's 'pre-cooked' bacon? It comes in a box in a
    sort of semi-refrigerated shelf in the grocery. I like it very much. If
    warmed slowly, it's limp and has quite a bit of fat. The label says 0


    carbs

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in 3 slices, don't see any ringers in the contents.

    I found Oscar Meyer's pre-cooked to be waaaaay to salty. I much
    prefer the Hormel's pre-cooked. It's cooked to a still soft state.
    I crisp it a few seconds in the microwave, I don't care for it
    completely stiff, but somewhat crispy.

    Plus the Hormels comes in a 60-slice zip-lock package (equivalent to
    3 pounds uncooked) at Sam's club, with the price varying from $6.50
    to $7.50 from month to month. The unopened packages don't even need
    to be refrigerated, and are good in a cabinet at least 6 months.
    Once opened and refrigerated, they last at least 2 months without
    starting to look bad or get off-flavors.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.