General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Frilegh Starts The TPD!!!!!

Started by Carol Frilegh · · Last activity · 418 posts · 8,774 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
11 July 2003
Last activity
19 August 2003
Original author
Carol Frilegh
Posts
418
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
8,774
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 418
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>, Dr.

    Andrew B. Chung said:

    Uh-oh, you should feel at least a little bit hungry if you are truly
    eating less than your baseline.


    Dear Dandy Dr. Andy,

    It's 5;30 a.m. and my stomach thinks my throat has been cut but the
    scale is already missing a few pounds.

    --
    Diva
    *************
    The Best Man for the Job is a Woman

  2. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:43:43 -0400, Carol Frilegh <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Dear Dandy Dr. Andy,

    It's 5;30 a.m. and my stomach thinks my throat has been cut but the
    scale is already missing a few pounds.

    lol

    What was your original average daily consumption?

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, *Mu*

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 05:43:43 -0400, Carol Frilegh <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Dear Dandy Dr. Andy,

    It's 5;30 a.m. and my stomach thinks my throat has been cut but the
    scale is already missing a few pounds.

    lol

    What was your original average daily consumption?

    I never did it, but started 2PD as soon as I read the FAQs I had
    excellent recall about a number of items that were magically finding
    theirway down my gullet with only semi conscious tallying by me. I was
    into measuring by the handful or unit at that time.

    Now, back to the Future!

    --
    Diva
    *************
    The Best Man for the Job is a Woman

  4. Carol Frilegh <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, rosie

    readandpost said:

    question:

    on this 2PD do you pit your fruit before you weigh it?

    --
    read and post daily, it works!
    rosie

    ever wonder if we would care more about each other if we realized how much we
    have in common?
    .............................R. Nagy

    Yes, I had a necatarine and weighed the pit after and subtracted it
    from the weight of the fruit.

    Uh-oh, you expended extra work for a morsel of food that probably was
    less than half an ounce if even that. That's the psychology of
    "living to eat." You'll need to overcome this to keep food from
    staying at the center of your life.

    Regards,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

  5. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:59:22 -0400, Carol Frilegh <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What was your original average daily consumption?

    I never did it, but started 2PD as soon as I read the FAQs I had
    excellent recall about a number of items that were magically finding
    theirway down my gullet with only semi conscious tallying by me. I was
    into measuring by the handful or unit at that time.

    Not good, Carol. Here's why.

    Suppose you started at 5 pounds per day. Dropped to two. Guaranteed
    that your body and appetite will not like you. the starting weight
    measurement is important so that you can follow the simple rules of
    volumetric decrease.

    Then, if you were only eating say 3 pounds per day, this drop to two
    becomes much easier. Either way, you learned something about food
    volumes that you did not know before.

    A big chunk(g) of the 2PD is the realization of where you were to
    where you are going. It is an essential piece of deprogramming.


  6. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yes, I had a necatarine and weighed the pit after and subtracted it
    from the weight of the fruit.

    On 11 Jul 2003 16:00:32 -0700, [email hidden] (Dr. Andrew B.

    Chung said:

    Uh-oh, you expended extra work for a morsel of food that probably was
    less than half an ounce if even that. That's the psychology of
    "living to eat." You'll need to overcome this to keep food from
    staying at the center of your life.

    I wonder if Carol is just being attentive to detail or fighting for
    each little ounce she can have.

  7. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:01:06 -0400, Carol Frilegh <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ever wonder if we would care more about each other if we realized how much we
    have in common?
    .............................R. Nagy

    Yes, I had a necatarine and weighed the pit after and subtracted it
    from the weight of the fruit.

    It seems to me that you should only have to weigh a fruit once. Take
    an "average" sized apple, peach, banana, etc (subtract the pits and
    peel the oranges if you want"😉 and weigh them once and write the
    weights down. Future fruits might be a little bigger or a little
    smaller but I suspect everything will come out in the wash.

    --
    Ron Ritzman
    http://www.panix.com/~ritzlart
    Smart people can figure out my email address

  8. In article <[email hidden]>, *Mu*

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yes, I had a necatarine and weighed the pit after and subtracted it
    from the weight of the fruit.

    On 11 Jul 2003 16:00:32 -0700, [email hidden] (Dr. Andrew B.

    Chung said:

    Uh-oh, you expended extra work for a morsel of food that probably was
    less than half an ounce if even that. That's the psychology of
    "living to eat." You'll need to overcome this to keep food from
    staying at the center of your life.

    I wonder if Carol is just being attentive to detail or fighting for
    each little ounce she can have.

    Attentive, to be sure.

    It's 10:00 p.m. and i still have a 5 oz, credit balance.
    I am creative about food and see no reason not to enjoy what IS allowed
    on 2PD. Of course if it will make you happy I can swallow the pit LOL!

    Also by proving the food here can be "primo" it may make it appealing
    to the doubters.

    Today:

    Breakfast: 1 egg omelet with fresh tomato and mushroom sauce, grated
    Parmesan and basil, o.j.

    Lunch; grilled chicken, baby green beans, blueberries with honey and
    slivered almonds, spinach salad with garlic and olive oil dressing

    Dinner: Zucchini with melted cheddar, toasted almonds and balance of
    tomato sauce

    Later; 3 oz. baked sausage

    Still 5 oz. left
    Likely some strawberries

    I've been weighing my juice.is that how it's done?

    --
    Diva
    *************
    The Best Man for the Job is a Woman

  9. In article <[email hidden]>, *Mu*

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:59:22 -0400, Carol Frilegh <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What was your original average daily consumption?

    I never did it, but started 2PD as soon as I read the FAQs I had
    excellent recall about a number of items that were magically finding
    theirway down my gullet with only semi conscious tallying by me. I was
    into measuring by the handful or unit at that time.

    Not good, Carol. Here's why.

    Suppose you started at 5 pounds per day. Dropped to two. Guaranteed
    that your body and appetite will not like you. the starting weight
    measurement is important so that you can follow the simple rules of
    volumetric decrease.

    Then, if you were only eating say 3 pounds per day, this drop to two
    becomes much easier. Either way, you learned something about food
    volumes that you did not know before.

    A big chunk(g) of the 2PD is the realization of where you were to
    where you are going. It is an essential piece of deprogramming.

    Remember I am already vascillating between two to three pounds above
    goal and have limted my intake most of the time for three years. (lost
    86)
    Too late now. The 2 pounds seems about right to me so far.

    --
    Diva
    *************
    The Best Man for the Job is a Woman

  10. Carol Frilegh <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, *Mu*

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Yes, I had a necatarine and weighed the pit after and subtracted it
    > from the weight of the fruit.

    On 11 Jul 2003 16:00:32 -0700, [email hidden] (Dr. Andrew B.

    Chung said:

    Uh-oh, you expended extra work for a morsel of food that probably was
    less than half an ounce if even that. That's the psychology of
    "living to eat." You'll need to overcome this to keep food from
    staying at the center of your life.

    I wonder if Carol is just being attentive to detail or fighting for
    each little ounce she can have.

    Attentive, to be sure.

    It's 10:00 p.m. and i still have a 5 oz, credit balance.
    I am creative about food and see no reason not to enjoy what IS allowed
    on 2PD. Of course if it will make you happy I can swallow the pit LOL!

    Also by proving the food here can be "primo" it may make it appealing
    to the doubters.

    Today:

    Breakfast: 1 egg omelet with fresh tomato and mushroom sauce, grated
    Parmesan and basil, o.j.

    Lunch; grilled chicken, baby green beans, blueberries with honey and
    slivered almonds, spinach salad with garlic and olive oil dressing

    Dinner: Zucchini with melted cheddar, toasted almonds and balance of
    tomato sauce

    Later; 3 oz. baked sausage

    Still 5 oz. left
    Likely some strawberries

    I've been weighing my juice.is that how it's done?

    Yes. It is more substantial than water :-)

    You certainly are having a lot of variety. I am just imagining all
    the perishables languishing in the corners of your kitchen waiting to
    be eaten. I hope you are also cutting back on the shopping.

    Regards,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, Dr.

    Andrew B. Chung said:

    You certainly are having a lot of variety.

    And why would I not especially if this is to be long term? Cutting down
    is not cutting out and this holds true of the 2PD for me.

    Quoted message said:

    I am just imagining all
    the perishables languishing in the corners of your kitchen waiting to
    be eaten. I hope you are also cutting back on the shopping.


    I have always had my animal protein "portion packed" in individual
    units of 4 oz. and keep it in the freezer. I shop more often for
    smaller amounts of fresh produce and was pleasantly surprised to find a
    generous chunk of cheese was about 2 oz. and gave rich texture to the
    zucchini with toasted almonds with fresh tomato sauce, yesterday.

    Today I'll be making an individual cheesecake of pressed cottage
    cheese, honey, yogurt and an egg which will be under 6 oz. and with
    added fruit will be a fine breakfast or lunch. It is made in seconds
    using a hand blender and bakes for 30 minutes. Actually 2pd does not
    present any major changes in my food preparation. It does justify the
    expense I went to to get a large and attractive food scale (about $30
    U.S.) earlier this year.

    --
    Diva
    *************
    The Best Man for the Job is a Woman

  12. Carol Frilegh said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Dr.

    Andrew B. Chung said:

    You certainly are having a lot of variety.

    And why would I not especially if this is to be long term? Cutting down
    is not cutting out and this holds true of the 2PD for me.

    Not a problem. It does make nutritional deficiencies at the level of
    vitamins, minerals and essential amino acids all the more unlikely.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I am just imagining all
    the perishables languishing in the corners of your kitchen waiting to
    be eaten. I hope you are also cutting back on the shopping.


    I have always had my animal protein "portion packed" in individual
    units of 4 oz. and keep it in the freezer. I shop more often for
    smaller amounts of fresh produce and was pleasantly surprised to find a
    generous chunk of cheese was about 2 oz. and gave rich texture to the
    zucchini with toasted almonds with fresh tomato sauce, yesterday.

    You clearly sound like someone who enjoys her food :-)

    Quoted message said:


    Today I'll be making an individual cheesecake of pressed cottage
    cheese, honey, yogurt and an egg which will be under 6 oz. and with
    added fruit will be a fine breakfast or lunch. It is made in seconds
    using a hand blender and bakes for 30 minutes. Actually 2pd does not
    present any major changes in my food preparation. It does justify the
    expense I went to to get a large and attractive food scale (about $30
    U.S.) earlier this year.

    --
    Diva
    *************
    The Best Man for the Job is a Woman

    Ok :-)

    Regards,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

  13. In article <[email hidden]>, Dr. Andrew B. Chung,

    MD/PhD said:


    You clearly sound like someone who enjoys her food :-)


    I take issue at "the eat to live" philosophy as sex is not practiced by
    most strictly for procreation.

    Why should food be ONLY fuel when nature has set it up as a pleasure
    response (originally for survival and now for fuve star chefs :-)?


  14. Quoted message said:

    I want to keep my fitness plan, and remain toned but stay about three
    pounds below what I am now.

    i am curious, about the 3lb bit, do your clothes fit differently or something?
    is it just an OBJECTIONABLE number?
    if someone came in and adjusted your scale, (those 3lbs) would you notice?

  15. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:22:43 -0400, Carol Frilegh <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I've been weighing my juice.is that how it's done?

    Which brings us to the discussion of why you weigh food on the first
    place.

    Not only is it about an education about total food intakes (almost
    everyone is surprised st the real amounts we eat), it is about the
    food volumes that pass thru your stomach.

    The stomach is a muscular organ with a distensible membrane. The more
    you distend it, the more it likes to be and expects to be. The less
    you do, the less it wants to be distended. Simple enough, eh?

    Because the stomach is not sensitive to macronutrient mix when it
    comes to feeling "full" or triggering a decrease or removal of the
    urge to eat. It doesn't care whether you put 2 pounds of <fill in
    food> thru it. 2 pounds is two pounds. Volume is volume.

  16. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:25:22 -0400, Carol Frilegh <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A big chunk(g) of the 2PD is the realization of where you were to
    where you are going. It is an essential piece of deprogramming.

    Quoted message said:

    Remember I am already vascillating between two to three pounds above
    goal and have limted my intake most of the time for three years. (lost
    86)
    Too late now. The 2 pounds seems about right to me so far.

    You did not have too far to "fall" if you were at 3 pounds of intake.
    Glad the transition is easy. It usually is for those with only a 1/3
    drop in volume.

    Expect your weight loss to be slow but steady.

  17. In article <[email hidden]>, rosie

    readandpost said:
    Quoted message said:

    I want to keep my fitness plan, and remain toned but stay about three
    pounds below what I am now.

    i am curious, about the 3lb bit, do your clothes fit differently or something?
    is it just an OBJECTIONABLE number?
    if someone came in and adjusted your scale, (those 3lbs) would you notice?


    Three pounds of food or three pounds of a person's body weight.

    you made me trouble with the nectarine pit :-)

    Now what? LOL

  18. "*Mu*" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:22:43 -0400, Carol Frilegh <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I've been weighing my juice.is that how it's done?

    Which brings us to the discussion of why you weigh food on the first
    place.

    Not only is it about an education about total food intakes (almost
    everyone is surprised st the real amounts we eat), it is about the
    food volumes that pass thru your stomach.

    The stomach is a muscular organ with a distensible membrane. The more
    you distend it, the more it likes to be and expects to be. The less
    you do, the less it wants to be distended. Simple enough, eh?

    Because the stomach is not sensitive to macronutrient mix when it
    comes to feeling "full" or triggering a decrease or removal of the
    urge to eat. It doesn't care whether you put 2 pounds of <fill in
    food> thru it. 2 pounds is two pounds. Volume is volume.

    What about density? 2 pounds of this has differnt volume than 2 pounds of
    that.

  19. *Mu* said:

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:22:43 -0400, Carol Frilegh <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Today:

    Breakfast: 1 egg omelet with fresh tomato and mushroom sauce, grated
    Parmesan and basil, o.j.

    Lunch; grilled chicken, baby green beans, blueberries with honey and
    slivered almonds, spinach salad with garlic and olive oil dressing

    Dinner: Zucchini with melted cheddar, toasted almonds and balance of
    tomato sauce

    Later; 3 oz. baked sausage

    Still 5 oz. left
    Likely some strawberries

    I've been weighing my juice.is that how it's done?

    Yep.

    'Weigh everything you eat or drink...." except water.

    Sugar-free drinks, plain tea or coffee (ie without sugar or cream) don't
    need to be weighed either.

    Regards,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

  20. Roger Zoul said:

    What about density? 2 pounds of this has differnt volume than 2 pounds of
    that.

    Simple experiment you can try at home:

    Take two pounds of food and puree it in a blender.

    Pour this mush into metric measuring cups (or a 1000 ml graduated cylinder if
    you happen to have one lying around :-).

    Prediction: The volume will be around 900 mls.

    It's science not magic that the prediction works without know the "this and
    that."

    Comment: Only inorganic substances containing elements higher up on the
    periodic table have densities significantly greater than 1 gram per ml. Food
    does not contain such substances. Moreover, some foods (especially fat) are
    even less dense so that balanced foods are very likely at 1 gram per ml in
    density.

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.