General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

oink oink - will I die tomorrow?

Started by Bear G · · Last activity · 11 posts · 391 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
25 September 2004
Last activity
26 September 2004
Original author
Bear G
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
391
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I tapered rather sharply to give my sore legs a chance to heal,
    and I just checked the bathroom scale... I've put on 4-5 pounds.

    That's 2% of my weight. Is that normal?

    I've also been drinking heavily. Alas, just water. 1.5L/day,
    plus juice and soda. I know it's normal to be a little dehydrated
    in this climate, but 4 pounds is a half gallon of water.

  2. "Bear G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:eDg5d.50687$wV.40647@attbi_s54...

    Quoted message said:

    I tapered rather sharply to give my sore legs a chance to heal,
    and I just checked the bathroom scale... I've put on 4-5 pounds.

    That's 2% of my weight. Is that normal?

    I've also been drinking heavily. Alas, just water. 1.5L/day,
    plus juice and soda. I know it's normal to be a little dehydrated
    in this climate, but 4 pounds is a half gallon of water.

    Drawing conclusions from any two bodyweight measurements is problematic.
    Bodyweight changes all the time, and day to day changes of 3-5 lbs are not
    uncommon. Overnight changes of 2 lbs, or more, are quite common.

    So, even if you weighed yourself at the same time of day on both occasions,
    it might mean nothing. If you were slightly dehydrated for the first
    measurement, and well-hydrated and slightly constipated for the second
    measurement that would explain the "weight gain".

    FWIW, a better way to check your weight is by keeping track of your trend
    over time, and by calculating your moving average weight (which takes out
    the normal day-to-day fluctuations).

    --
    GG
    http://www.WeightWare.com
    Your Weight and Health Diary

  3. GaryG said:

    FWIW, a better way to check your weight is by keeping track of your trend
    over time, and by calculating your moving average weight (which takes out
    the normal day-to-day fluctuations).

    I've been checking Saturday morning shortly after getting up for
    close to year. It's been stable within a two pound range for
    months, so it's a real change.

  4. Oh c'mon.......I lose four pounds, first thing every morning. If you're
    going to obsess about something, make it something more pressing. Like
    that retreating hairline of yours.

  5. That weight gain is pretty typical for me. I run 70 mpw.

    When I back off my mileage the last 4 days and eat alot prior to an
    ultramarathon, I typically gain 4-5 lbs. Last time I went from 150 to
    154.5 the morning of my race, and had a very strong run. I weighed 146 at
    the end of the 6 hour race, btw.

    -- Dan

    "Bear G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:eDg5d.50687$wV.40647@attbi_s54...

    Quoted message said:

    I tapered rather sharply to give my sore legs a chance to heal,
    and I just checked the bathroom scale... I've put on 4-5 pounds.

    That's 2% of my weight. Is that normal?

    I've also been drinking heavily. Alas, just water. 1.5L/day,
    plus juice and soda. I know it's normal to be a little dehydrated
    in this climate, but 4 pounds is a half gallon of water.

  6. Quoted message said:

    I've been checking Saturday morning shortly after getting up for
    close to year. It's been stable within a two pound range for
    months, so it's a real change.

    I suggest you go through your stools very, very carefully. Let me know what you
    find...

  7. Quoted message said:

    I tapered rather sharply to give my sore legs a chance to heal,
    and I just checked the bathroom scale... I've put on 4-5 pounds.

    That's 2% of my weight. Is that normal?

    For a fat hog, yes, for a human, no.

  8. << If you're
    going to obsess about something, make it something more pressing. Like
    that retreating hairline of yours.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ....a hairline away,
    just say,
    and i'll obey...

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  9. << I suggest you go through your stools very, very carefully. Let me know what
    you
    find...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ....standing, stretching, reaching
    for the top shelf -- that panda's there.
    it's mine, i know; all my teaching
    tells me so. what's fair is fair...

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  10. << I tapered rather sharply...

    .....here, take my hand, step on down...

    _______
    Blog, or dog? Who knows. But if you see my lost pup, please ping me!
    <A
    HREF="http://journals.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo">http://journal
    s.aol.com/virginiaz/DreamingofLeonardo</A>

  11. Quoted message said:

    Oh c'mon.......I lose four pounds, first thing every morning.

    Amen!

    Quoted message said:

    If you're
    going to obsess about something, make it something more pressing. Like
    that retreating hairline of yours.

    Or that limp piece of meat that no longer functions.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.