Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

No one snickered at my old mixte

Started by Leonardo · · Last activity · 10 posts · 359 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
16 July 2007
Last activity
16 July 2007
Original author
Leonardo
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
359
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm sure they were snickering at the fat old guy riding it.

    Anyway, I decided to try riding again after 20 years. New road bike
    sticker shock scared me into looking for something cheap to ride for
    for awhile and gauge my interest and ability before taking the plunge. I
    found a very clean Bridgestone grand Kabuki mixte at a garage sale. 4130
    tubes, Suntour VX front and rear, SR Apex-A 170 mm cranks, Bridgestone
    side pulls, all the rest Suntour. If I remember correctly, this would
    have been a middle range bike in its day.

    The 53-39 chainwheel is killin' me. Can't pull any grades (I'm well over
    200 pounds). A little research tells me that the bolt pattern may be
    obsolete. I'd like to ride this bike for the rest of the season. What
    would be my best(as in lowest cost) option to get into a setup that will
    allow me to do some spinning.

    Thanks!

    L.

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Leonardo said:

    I'm sure they were snickering at the fat old guy riding it.

    Anyway, I decided to try riding again after 20 years. New road bike
    sticker shock scared me into looking for something cheap to ride for
    for awhile and gauge my interest and ability before taking the plunge. I
    found a very clean Bridgestone grand Kabuki mixte at a garage sale. 4130
    tubes, Suntour VX front and rear, SR Apex-A 170 mm cranks, Bridgestone
    side pulls, all the rest Suntour. If I remember correctly, this would
    have been a middle range bike in its day.

    Lovely bike! Any Bridgestone is an especially desireable bike. Mid-range
    or no, it's a name to conjure with.

    Quoted message said:

    The 53-39 chainwheel is killin' me. Can't pull any grades (I'm well over
    200 pounds). A little research tells me that the bolt pattern may be
    obsolete. I'd like to ride this bike for the rest of the season. What
    would be my best(as in lowest cost) option to get into a setup that will
    allow me to do some spinning.

    No way the bolt pattern is obsolete, is it? Surely either 110 mm BCD or
    130, which are about the two most common BCDs on the planet. The former
    has been undergoing a renaissance as the basis for compact drivetrains.

    Regardless, the easiest way to get some lower gearing is to thread on a
    nice 6- or 7-speed Shimano freewheel, possibly a "Megarange" unit. You
    can get pretty low with those bail-out mega-cogs on the back.

    There's a small chance you might have to replace the rear derailer with
    a longer-cage version, but I bet that if you stay out of the big-big
    cross-chain, you'll be fine.

    As a bonus, the shifting (even with friction shifters) will become much
    smoother. Hyperglide works.

    Available at virtually every bike shop on the planet, cost about $20.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  3. Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Leonardo said:

    I'm sure they were snickering at the fat old guy riding it.

    Anyway, I decided to try riding again after 20 years. New road bike
    sticker shock scared me into looking for something cheap to ride for
    for awhile and gauge my interest and ability before taking the plunge. I
    found a very clean Bridgestone grand Kabuki mixte at a garage sale. 4130
    tubes, Suntour VX front and rear, SR Apex-A 170 mm cranks, Bridgestone
    side pulls, all the rest Suntour. If I remember correctly, this would
    have been a middle range bike in its day.

    Lovely bike! Any Bridgestone is an especially desireable bike. Mid-range
    or no, it's a name to conjure with.

    Quoted message said:

    The 53-39 chainwheel is killin' me. Can't pull any grades (I'm well over
    200 pounds). A little research tells me that the bolt pattern may be
    obsolete. I'd like to ride this bike for the rest of the season. What
    would be my best(as in lowest cost) option to get into a setup that will
    allow me to do some spinning.

    No way the bolt pattern is obsolete, is it? Surely either 110 mm BCD or
    130, which are about the two most common BCDs on the planet. The former
    has been undergoing a renaissance as the basis for compact drivetrains.

    Regardless, the easiest way to get some lower gearing is to thread on a
    nice 6- or 7-speed Shimano freewheel, possibly a "Megarange" unit. You
    can get pretty low with those bail-out mega-cogs on the back.

    There's a small chance you might have to replace the rear derailer with
    a longer-cage version, but I bet that if you stay out of the big-big
    cross-chain, you'll be fine.

    As a bonus, the shifting (even with friction shifters) will become much
    smoother. Hyperglide works.

    Available at virtually every bike shop on the planet, cost about $20.

    Appreciate the response. The limited info I was able to google up says
    that the bolt pattern is 118mm BCD.

    I will check with the local bike shop about changing out the freewheel.

    Thanks again

    L.

  4. Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Leonardo said:

    I'm sure they were snickering at the fat old guy riding it.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, I decided to try riding again after 20 years. New road bike
    sticker shock scared me into looking for something cheap to ride for
    for awhile and gauge my interest and ability before taking the plunge. I
    found a very clean Bridgestone grand Kabuki mixte at a garage sale. 4130
    tubes, Suntour VX front and rear, SR Apex-A 170 mm cranks, Bridgestone
    side pulls, all the rest Suntour. If I remember correctly, this would
    have been a middle range bike in its day.

    Lovely bike! Any Bridgestone is an especially desireable bike. Mid-range
    or no, it's a name to conjure with.

    Quoted message said:

    The 53-39 chainwheel is killin' me. Can't pull any grades (I'm well over
    200 pounds). A little research tells me that the bolt pattern may be
    obsolete. I'd like to ride this bike for the rest of the season. What
    would be my best(as in lowest cost) option to get into a setup that will
    allow me to do some spinning.

    No way the bolt pattern is obsolete, is it? Surely either 110 mm BCD or
    130, which are about the two most common BCDs on the planet. The former
    has been undergoing a renaissance as the basis for compact drivetrains.

    SR made some cranks in 118mm BCD, which is obsolete. Replacing the
    entire crankset would be less hassle, if one was to go that route,
    than sourcing NOS 118BCD rings.

    Hopefully, that's not the case.

    Quoted message said:


    Regardless, the easiest way to get some lower gearing is to thread on a
    nice 6- or 7-speed Shimano freewheel, possibly a "Megarange" unit. You
    can get pretty low with those bail-out mega-cogs on the back.

    There's a small chance you might have to replace the rear derailer with
    a longer-cage version, but I bet that if you stay out of the big-big
    cross-chain, you'll be fine.

    As a bonus, the shifting (even with friction shifters) will become much
    smoother. Hyperglide works.

    Needs a 7/8 speed Hyperglide style chain to work perfectly. $10 at
    your bike shop or Wally World. 7 speed HG freewheel shifted via
    friction is great non-fussy stuff.

  5. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Leonardo said:

    I'm sure they were snickering at the fat old guy riding it.

    Anyway, I decided to try riding again after 20 years. New road bike
    sticker shock scared me into looking for something cheap to ride for
    for awhile and gauge my interest and ability before taking the plunge. I
    found a very clean Bridgestone grand Kabuki mixte at a garage sale. 4130
    tubes, Suntour VX front and rear, SR Apex-A 170 mm cranks, Bridgestone
    side pulls, all the rest Suntour. If I remember correctly, this would
    have been a middle range bike in its day.

    The 53-39 chainwheel is killin' me. Can't pull any grades (I'm well over
    200 pounds). A little research tells me that the bolt pattern may be
    obsolete. I'd like to ride this bike for the rest of the season. What
    would be my best(as in lowest cost) option to get into a setup that will
    allow me to do some spinning.

    Fixing up a bicycle always costs much more than you estimate.
    Stay off the hills, or ride them only as far as is very easy.
    Spare your knees.
    You said nothing about the rear hub. Freewheel?
    Wide range freewheels are readily available with 34 cog large gear.
    That should get you going.

    Keep at the garage sales looking for a fixxerupper that is
    worth putting in money.

    Happy trails.

    --
    Michael Press

  6. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Leonardo said:

    I'm sure they were snickering at the fat old guy riding it.

    Anyway, I decided to try riding again after 20 years. New road bike
    sticker shock scared me into looking for something cheap to ride for
    for awhile and gauge my interest and ability before taking the
    plunge. I found a very clean Bridgestone grand Kabuki mixte at a
    garage sale. 4130 tubes, Suntour VX front and rear, SR Apex-A 170 mm
    cranks, Bridgestone side pulls, all the rest Suntour. If I remember
    correctly, this would have been a middle range bike in its day.

    Lovely bike! Any Bridgestone is an especially desireable bike.
    Mid-range or no, it's a name to conjure with.

    Quoted message said:

    The 53-39 chainwheel is killin' me. Can't pull any grades (I'm well
    over 200 pounds). A little research tells me that the bolt pattern
    may be obsolete. I'd like to ride this bike for the rest of the
    season. What would be my best(as in lowest cost) option to get into a
    setup that will allow me to do some spinning.

    Quoted message said:
    Ryan Cousineau said:

    No way the bolt pattern is obsolete, is it? Surely either 110 mm BCD
    or 130, which are about the two most common BCDs on the planet. The
    former has been undergoing a renaissance as the basis for compact
    drivetrains.
    Regardless, the easiest way to get some lower gearing is to thread on
    a nice 6- or 7-speed Shimano freewheel, possibly a "Megarange" unit.
    You can get pretty low with those bail-out mega-cogs on the back.
    There's a small chance you might have to replace the rear derailer
    with a longer-cage version, but I bet that if you stay out of the
    big-big cross-chain, you'll be fine.
    As a bonus, the shifting (even with friction shifters) will become
    much smoother. Hyperglide works.
    Available at virtually every bike shop on the planet, cost about $20.

    Leonardo said:

    Appreciate the response. The limited info I was able to google up says
    that the bolt pattern is 118mm BCD.

    I will check with the local bike shop about changing out the freewheel.

    Limited support now for 118mm, 40tt and up.
    If you generally like this bike, a wide freewheel ($25~$30) with a long
    derailleur ($15 to $99) may be a better path. Or a new crankset.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  7. Leonardo said:

    Appreciate the response. The limited info I was able to google up says
    that the bolt pattern is 118mm BCD.

    You can find the BCD yourself by measuring from the center of one bolt
    to the center of the next and multiplying by 1.7. If it is indeed 118mm,
    replacement rings may be very hard to find especially in smaller sizes.
    I'd put on a wide-range freewheel as suggested. If that's not low
    enough, you're probably better off replacing the entire crankset than
    trying to find suitable 118mm chainrings.

  8. Leonardo said:

    I'm sure they were snickering at the fat old guy riding it.

    Anyway, I decided to try riding again after 20 years. New road bike
    sticker shock scared me into looking for something cheap to ride for
    for awhile and gauge my interest and ability before taking the plunge. I
    found a very clean Bridgestone grand Kabuki mixte at a garage sale. 4130
    tubes, Suntour VX front and rear, SR Apex-A 170 mm cranks, Bridgestone
    side pulls, all the rest Suntour. If I remember correctly, this would
    have been a middle range bike in its day.

    The 53-39 chainwheel is killin' me. Can't pull any grades (I'm well over
    200 pounds). A little research tells me that the bolt pattern may be
    obsolete. I'd like to ride this bike for the rest of the season. What
    would be my best(as in lowest cost) option to get into a setup that will
    allow me to do some spinning.

    Thanks!

    L.

    Probably the biggest bang for the buck would be to find a cheap triple
    chainring square-taper crankset. Try Bikeparts.com or Ebay. The only
    caveat is that the derailleur cage may not be long enough to take up
    the extra slack when in the granny ring. The luxury with this bike, is
    that you don't need to worry about indexing, so _any_ cheap med-long
    cage derailleur will work. one other limiting factor may be bottom
    bracket spindle length. With a new triple crankset, the granny ring
    may want to scrape the right chainstay. TRy bikeparts.com for
    everything, including the square taper crankset. You may run into a
    problem if you need to replace the freewheel. Nashbar still carries 6
    and 7 speed versions I think. Some one already said - fixing up a bike
    is always more expensive than you think.

  9. Steve Gravrock said:
    Leonardo said:

    Appreciate the response. The limited info I was able to google up says
    that the bolt pattern is 118mm BCD.

    You can find the BCD yourself by measuring from the center of one bolt
    to the center of the next and multiplying by 1.7. If it is indeed 118mm,
    replacement rings may be very hard to find especially in smaller sizes.
    I'd put on a wide-range freewheel as suggested. If that's not low
    enough, you're probably better off replacing the entire crankset than
    trying to find suitable 118mm chainrings.

    I'm going to do the measurement. First things first.

    Thanks all, for the suggestions.

    L.

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    landotter said:
    Ryan Cousineau said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Leonardo said:

    I'm sure they were snickering at the fat old guy riding it.

    Quoted message said:

    Anyway, I decided to try riding again after 20 years. New road bike
    sticker shock scared me into looking for something cheap to ride for
    for awhile and gauge my interest and ability before taking the plunge. I
    found a very clean Bridgestone grand Kabuki mixte at a garage sale. 4130
    tubes, Suntour VX front and rear, SR Apex-A 170 mm cranks, Bridgestone
    side pulls, all the rest Suntour. If I remember correctly, this would
    have been a middle range bike in its day.

    Lovely bike! Any Bridgestone is an especially desireable bike. Mid-range
    or no, it's a name to conjure with.

    Quoted message said:

    The 53-39 chainwheel is killin' me. Can't pull any grades (I'm well over
    200 pounds). A little research tells me that the bolt pattern may be
    obsolete. I'd like to ride this bike for the rest of the season. What
    would be my best(as in lowest cost) option to get into a setup that will
    allow me to do some spinning.

    No way the bolt pattern is obsolete, is it? Surely either 110 mm BCD or
    130, which are about the two most common BCDs on the planet. The former
    has been undergoing a renaissance as the basis for compact drivetrains.

    SR made some cranks in 118mm BCD, which is obsolete. Replacing the
    entire crankset would be less hassle, if one was to go that route,
    than sourcing NOS 118BCD rings.

    Hopefully, that's not the case.

    118? Learn something new every day!

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Regardless, the easiest way to get some lower gearing is to thread on a
    nice 6- or 7-speed Shimano freewheel, possibly a "Megarange" unit. You
    can get pretty low with those bail-out mega-cogs on the back.

    There's a small chance you might have to replace the rear derailer with
    a longer-cage version, but I bet that if you stay out of the big-big
    cross-chain, you'll be fine.

    As a bonus, the shifting (even with friction shifters) will become much
    smoother. Hyperglide works.

    Needs a 7/8 speed Hyperglide style chain to work perfectly. $10 at
    your bike shop or Wally World. 7 speed HG freewheel shifted via
    friction is great non-fussy stuff.

    Yes to the chain, of course. I should have mentioned that.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.