Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Left crank nut won’t stay tight

Started by meb · · Last activity · 8 posts · 606 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 June 2005
Last activity
21 June 2005
Original author
meb
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
606
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My left crank nut when adequately torqued loosens within 3 miles.

    I suspect the crank taper may be worn large and likely needs arm replacing and will probably at least try another crank arm to see if it fixes the problem, but alternatively can a lockwasher avert this loosening or will that create some unforeseen problem?

    Or should I be expecting a BB problem with the nut style BB-arm fastening?

  2. meb said:

    My left crank nut when adequately torqued loosens within 3 miles.

    I suspect the crank taper may be worn large and likely needs arm
    replacing and will probably at least try another crank arm to see if it
    fixes the problem, but alternatively can a lockwasher avert this
    loosening or will that create some unforeseen problem?

    Or should I be expecting a BB problem with the nut style BB-arm
    fastening?

    It may be that the bore is worn and you're bottoming on the taper. You
    should be able to eyeball that.

    If the bore is sloppy, bottoming or not, you may be able to continue to
    use it if you shim with aluminum can stock. If it doesn't work, left
    cranks are cheap.

  3. meb said:

    My left crank nut when adequately torqued loosens within 3 miles.

    I suspect the crank taper may be worn large and likely needs arm
    replacing and will probably at least try another crank arm to see if it
    fixes the problem, but alternatively can a lockwasher avert this
    loosening or will that create some unforeseen problem?

    Or should I be expecting a BB problem with the nut style BB-arm
    fastening?

    --
    meb

    First time it loosened, you probably deformed the crank arm to the
    point where it will never stay tight. New crankarm, installed per
    factory instructions, and it will stay tight.

  4. meb said:

    My left crank nut when adequately torqued loosens within 3 miles.

    I suspect the crank taper may be worn large and likely needs arm
    replacing and will probably at least try another crank arm to see if it
    fixes the problem, but alternatively can a lockwasher avert this
    loosening or will that create some unforeseen problem?

    Or should I be expecting a BB problem with the nut style BB-arm
    fastening?


    If you slip the arm off and look at the aperture from the
    spindle side, you'll see that the square opening is no
    longer square.

    It's even more obvious when you compare your new arm just
    before installation. Grease the taper, the threads, the
    fastener and torque to 50Kcm. It won't be a problem in the
    future.

    You cannot damage or change a hardened CrMo spindle with a
    soft aluminum arm so don't worry about the spindle or the
    bolt/nut.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  5. Anonymous said:

    My left crank nut when adequately torqued loosens within 3 miles.

    Quoted message said:

    I suspect the crank taper may be worn large and likely needs arm
    replacing and will probably at least try another crank arm to see if
    it fixes the problem, but alternatively can a lockwasher avert this
    loosening or will that create some unforeseen problem?

    Quoted message said:

    Or should I be expecting a BB problem with the nut style BB-arm
    fastening?

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/installing-cranks.html

    [email hidden]

  6. meb said:


    My left crank nut when adequately torqued loosens within 3 miles.

    What do you consider adequate?

    Quoted message said:

    I suspect the crank taper may be worn large and likely needs arm
    replacing and will probably at least try another crank arm to see if it
    fixes the problem, but alternatively can a lockwasher avert this
    loosening or will that create some unforeseen problem?

    If the crank is loosening it's certainly toast.

    Quoted message said:

    Or should I be expecting a BB problem with the nut style BB-arm
    fastening?

    No.

    jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

  7. quote='A Muzi'meb said:

    My left crank nut when adequately torqued loosens within 3 miles.

    I suspect the crank taper may be worn large and likely needs arm
    replacing and will probably at least try another crank arm to see if it
    fixes the problem, but alternatively can a lockwasher avert this
    loosening or will that create some unforeseen problem?

    Or should I be expecting a BB problem with the nut style BB-arm
    fastening?


    If you slip the arm off and look at the aperture from the
    spindle side, you'll see that the square opening is no
    longer square.

    It's even more obvious when you compare your new arm just
    before installation. Grease the taper, the threads, the
    fastener and torque to 50Kcm. It won't be a problem in the
    future.

    You cannot damage or change a hardened CrMo spindle with a
    soft aluminum arm so don't worry about the spindle or the
    bolt/nut.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971[/QUOTE]

    Yep- a rhombus!

  8. quote='Peter Cole'meb said:

    My left crank nut when adequately torqued loosens within 3 miles.

    I suspect the crank taper may be worn large and likely needs arm
    replacing and will probably at least try another crank arm to see if it
    fixes the problem, but alternatively can a lockwasher avert this
    loosening or will that create some unforeseen problem?

    Or should I be expecting a BB problem with the nut style BB-arm
    fastening?

    It may be that the bore is worn and you're bottoming on the taper. You
    should be able to eyeball that.

    If the bore is sloppy, bottoming or not, you may be able to continue to
    use it if you shim with aluminum can stock. If it doesn't work, left
    cranks are cheap.[/QUOTE]

    Gave the shim a try. Would stay on about 6-8 miles before loosening a few times, beu degenerated to coming loose every 1 1/2-2 miles. Tried coupling the spline idea with the lockwasher, but the arm within a mile went into the BB and the crank arm motion unscrewed the BB out one end of the shell.

    I'll replace it next month, I've depleted the 170mm left crank reserve supply, besides the roads I commute to work on after April's office move are too rough for an aluminum road bike. A Noticable improvement on a steel road bike today.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.