Thanks very much for the help, but I think I am too thick-witted to
decide what to do.
Weisse Luft said:[snip]
Temperature is the enemy of fast charging at rates over C/10 (for your
3.2 A*H, that would be 320 mA). While you can charge your 3.2 at 500
mA, you should not charge it more than about 6 hours at that rate. 5
hours would be better but you should check the end voltage to be sure.
Your 6 volt is fully charged at 6.9 volts, AFTER you remove the charger
(and wait a few minutes after removing the charger).
Weisse, I think this means that if I were to purchase a battery rated at
5 Ah, I could leave it on the charger longer (which would be better.)
Is that right? Is the danger that if I exceed C/10 I risk damaging the
battery?
Since reading your post and having a better idea what I was looking for,
I ran across a this [pdf]: ttp://www.web-ee.com/primers/files/fsect5.pdf
I don't know what credence to give it, but its table 5.7 seems to
indicate that I can "slow" charge an SLA at .25C. That would mean I
could charge a 3.2 Ah battery at 800 mA and a 5 Ah battery at 1250 mA
without worries.
Or does it? Another interpretation of the chart might be that I would
hit full charge at 24 hours and then need to worry. Again, I don't
really know what I am reading so I might be completely wrong.
(BTW, the same table lists V/cell for the SLA battery at 2.27. That's
why you said that my 6V battery is fully charged at 6.9V, right?)
Leo Lichtman said:"Chris Hedges" wrote: Yikes! Your comment about ruining the charger is
alarming. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Since you say the light seems to have normal brightness with the charger on,
chances are it is still working. However, it seems to me that 500 ma (1/2
amp) is not enough capacity to be sure you're not going to hurt the charger
if you continue to use it this way. Does your meter measure current?
That's what you need to measure to be sure you are not overloading the
charger. Especially with only 4 volts at the battery terminals, the charger
is able to push way more than the rated current into the battery, and could
have sustained damage.
Leo & Michael, I am afraid that I just don't understand how I can figure
out whether the charger has enough capacity. Is it the voltage of the
battery that determines the risk of harm to the charger or the current
rating? Or something else entirely? Would there be any indications
that I am in danger of screwing up the charger? (Short of smoke rising
from it!?)