I'm about to purchase a set of Kool Stop pads to replace my other no names that pick up everything under the sun. These will be for my road bike with Shimano dual-pivots. I always hear everyone rave about the salmons. My question is should I go with the black all condition or go for the salmon's??? I ride mostly on flat surfaces and will only be in wet weather if the occasional summer storm gets me. Just wondering if salmons would be overkill. Thanks for any help.
Cycling Equipment · Public discussion
Kool Stop salmons or all-condition black????
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Cycling Equipment
- Published
- 8 March 2004
- Last activity
- 8 March 2004
- Original author
- zman92atl
- Posts
- 3
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 1,417
- Views / 30 days
- 8
- Topics
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Quoted post said:
Originally posted by zman92atl
I'm about to purchase a set of Kool Stop pads to replace my other no names that pick up everything under the sun. These will be for my road bike with Shimano dual-pivots. I always hear everyone rave about the salmons. My question is should I go with the black all condition or go for the salmon's??? I ride mostly on flat surfaces and will only be in wet weather if the occasional summer storm gets me. Just wondering if salmons would be overkill. Thanks for any help.I use Salmon Kool Stops pads on all my canti braked bikes.
They work and wear well. However, due to the bikes themselves they tend to be ridden in the rain more often.
I use the Black Dura Type Brake pads on my Shimano DURA ACE dual pivot road bike. I tried the Salmon pads but found in this application that I like the brake action better with the black pads.
I suggest you wipe your rims and pads with a damp rag after each ride. If you have a wet ride, I suggest scotch brite for the rims and sandpaper for the pads. -
I like the all black ones better. Yes, they are softer. They work better in wet conditions, but some people find that the softness is too grabby when its dry. On my MTN bike, I have XTR and find that the brake levers give me a nice modulated feel and I just back off a little more. Works better for me. Some of my riding bids have tried them and like them too.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.