Alex Ravenel said:So I have less than a little space in my dorm room, but cant stand the thought of not having my
bike up here with me. I have found a way to hang the bike from the wall, however. My question is,
will hanging the bike from its wheels hurt them? I dont want to warp my wheels.
As another poster pointed out, this is a FAQ, and the short answer is no, although some suspension
forks don't like being upside down for long periods of time.
You could also consider hanging it the way I do; by the left pedal. Hang it as high against the
ceiling as possible, so that it touches the wall with the tires and almost touches with the left
pedal, and touches the ceiling with the saddle and left handle. The advantage here, is that the
bike takes up much space just below the ceiling, whis you never use anyways, and less lower down,
by the wall.
A good homemade fixture is easily made like this: take a 80 by 250 mm 5 mm aluminum plate. Make a
20-30 mm wide U-shaped slot in one of the short sides, so it looks like:
+-+ +-+
| | | |
| U |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| o |
| o |
+-----+
Drill some holes in it, while your'e at it. Bend it in a Z-shape, so it look like this:
|\ \ / \/
with the slot at the right in the above drawing. The wall goes to the left, the bike to the right,
the pedal axle rests in the slot.
Hope my poor ASCII "art" is intelligeble, otherwise email me, and I'll make a better drawing.
Bo