do I need to change my front derailleur too? I'm thinking no, but I'm not sure. Pretty sure I'd need to remove a few chain links and move the FD down a bit. Maybe a new BB too if I can't find a square taper compact crankset.
Pretty sure I'd need to remove a few chain links and move the FD down a bit.
Assuming the same cassette as now, I'd leave the chain length the same. Going from a 53T to a 50T big ring, you could probably remove one link. Not worth the effort.
"Art Harris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Marty said:
Pretty sure I'd need to remove a few chain links and move the FD down a bit.
Assuming the same cassette as now, I'd leave the chain length the same. Going from a 53T to a 50T big ring, you could probably remove one link. Not worth the effort.
Art Harris
Art, you have to remove two links, you'll know when you shift to the 34t. -tom
I've switched to compacts on my bikes and the original Dura Ace/Ultegra front works just fine. You just have to lower it a bit. Don't really have an answer for the chain length question -- I was running 50/39's on the original cranks. It's probably a good idea to check the length anyway.
"Marty" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
do I need to change my front derailleur too? I'm thinking no, but I'm not sure. Pretty sure I'd need to remove a few chain links and move the FD down a bit. Maybe a new BB too if I can't find a square taper compact crankset.
do I need to change my front derailleur too? I'm thinking no, but I'm not sure. Pretty sure I'd need to remove a few chain links and move the FD down a bit. Maybe a new BB too if I can't find a square taper compact crankset.
Lower FD and remove 1 link, assuming the chain was proper length to start with. We have a Veloce 172.5 compact, square taper deeply discounted.
Pretty sure I'd need to remove a few chain links and move the FD down a bit.
Quoted message said:
Assuming the same cassette as now, I'd leave the chain length the same. Going from a 53T to a 50T big ring, you could probably remove one link. Not worth the effort.
Quoted message said:
Art Harris
Art, you have to remove two links, you'll know when you shift to the 34t. -tom
"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Tom Nakashima said:
"Art Harris" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Marty wrote: > Pretty sure I'd need to remove a few chain links and move > the FD down a bit.
Quoted message said:
Assuming the same cassette as now, I'd leave the chain length the same. Going from a 53T to a 50T big ring, you could probably remove one link. Not worth the effort.
Quoted message said:
Art Harris
Art, you have to remove two links, you'll know when you shift to the 34t. -tom
do I need to change my front derailleur too? I'm thinking no, but I'm not sure. Pretty sure I'd need to remove a few chain links and move the FD down a bit. Maybe a new BB too if I can't find a square taper compact crankset.
Anything else to consider here?
Thanks. -- Marty
A standard FD worked fine for me when I installed a 50/34 compact, just had to drop it a bit. This was a Shimano setup.
do I need to change my front derailleur too? I'm thinking no, but I'm not sure. Pretty sure I'd need to remove a few chain links and move the FD down a bit. Maybe a new BB too if I can't find a square taper compact crankset.
Lower FD and remove 1 link, assuming the chain was proper length to start with. We have a Veloce 172.5 compact, square taper deeply discounted.
How much? BTW - this is DA 8 speed. I added a new 8 speed DA cog set, new chain (SRAM PC-68 I think) and new FSA chainrings. Maybe have 2000 miles on this stuff. So, my question is - if the campy crankset comes with campy chainrings, will they work okay with the DA 8 speed FD and the SRAM chain that I have? -- Marty
On Sep 12, 12:37 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
Quoted message said:
On Sep 12, 10:10 am, Marty <[email hidden]> wrote:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
do I need to change my front derailleur too? I'm thinking no, but I'm not sure. Pretty sure I'd need to remove a few chain links and move the FD down a bit. Maybe a new BB too if I can't find a square taper compact crankset.
Quoted message said:
Lower FD and remove 1 link, assuming the chain was proper length to start with. We have a Veloce 172.5 compact, square taper deeply discounted.
How much? BTW - this is DA 8 speed. I added a new 8 speed DA cog set, new chain (SRAM PC-68 I think) and new FSA chainrings. Maybe have 2000 miles on this stuff. So, my question is - if the campy crankset comes with campy chainrings, will they work okay with the DA 8 speed FD and the SRAM chain that I have? -- Marty
Yes it will but you will need a new BB..Compatible(Campagnolo AC-H) start at $30..Centaur is $65.
On Sep 12, 12:37 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
Quoted message said:
On Sep 12, 10:10 am, Marty <[email hidden]> wrote:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
do I need to change my front derailleur too? I'm thinking no, but I'm not sure. Pretty sure I'd need to remove a few chain links and move the FD down a bit. Maybe a new BB too if I can't find a square taper compact crankset.
Quoted message said:
Lower FD and remove 1 link, assuming the chain was proper length to start with. We have a Veloce 172.5 compact, square taper deeply discounted.
How much? BTW - this is DA 8 speed. I added a new 8 speed DA cog set, new chain (SRAM PC-68 I think) and new FSA chainrings. Maybe have 2000 miles on this stuff. So, my question is - if the campy crankset comes with campy chainrings, will they work okay with the DA 8 speed FD and the SRAM chain that I have? -- Marty
$70 gets you the crank, BTW-plus $8 s/h. $100 for the BB/crank and I'll pay shipping.
"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Marty said:
On Sep 12, 12:37 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
Quoted message said:
On Sep 12, 10:10 am, Marty <[email hidden]> wrote:
Quoted message said:
> do I need to change my front derailleur too? I'm thinking no, but > I'm > not sure. Pretty sure I'd need to remove a few chain links and move > the FD down a bit. Maybe a new BB too if I can't find a square taper > compact crankset.
Quoted message said:
Lower FD and remove 1 link, assuming the chain was proper length to start with. We have a Veloce 172.5 compact, square taper deeply discounted.
How much? BTW - this is DA 8 speed. I added a new 8 speed DA cog set, new chain (SRAM PC-68 I think) and new FSA chainrings. Maybe have 2000 miles on this stuff. So, my question is - if the campy crankset comes with campy chainrings, will they work okay with the DA 8 speed FD and the SRAM chain that I have? -- Marty
$70 gets you the crank, BTW-plus $8 s/h. $100 for the BB/crank and I'll pay shipping.
This is because Shimano is JIS and Campy is ISO?
I'd like to keep the BB that I have. Though, I have been looking for an excuse to stop in your shop. I live in Longmont, which is why I'm interested in the 50/34. I'm from WI and lived in MN for 13 years and I never had a problem with 39/23 on any hill that I'd ridden while living in either of those states. Not true since moving to CO. Left onto Lee Hill from Left Hand Canyon (going towards Ward) was really tough (for me) in 39/23. :-) Old Stage is an almost complete out of the saddle grind fest as well. I either need easier gearing or more time on the bike to make these hills more manageable. Jamestown isn't bad with the gearing I have now. But I think Ward would hurt a lot. Then there are all the bigger climbs that I want to do that I think may be even more difficult. I have much to explore around here and I don't want blow out my knees in the process. I see lots of triple setups and compacts at work and now I understand why.
> > do I need to change my front derailleur too? I'm thinking no, but > > I'm > > not sure. Pretty sure I'd need to remove a few chain links and move > > the FD down a bit. Maybe a new BB too if I can't find a square taper > > compact crankset.
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
> Lower FD and remove 1 link, assuming the chain was proper length to > start with. We have a Veloce 172.5 compact, square taper deeply > discounted.
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
How much? BTW - this is DA 8 speed. I added a new 8 speed DA cog set, new chain (SRAM PC-68 I think) and new FSA chainrings. Maybe have 2000 miles on this stuff. So, my question is - if the campy crankset comes with campy chainrings, will they work okay with the DA 8 speed FD and the SRAM chain that I have? -- Marty
Quoted message said:
$70 gets you the crank, BTW-plus $8 s/h. $100 for the BB/crank and I'll pay shipping.
This is because Shimano is JIS and Campy is ISO?
That is correct..altho the same 2 degrees, shimano in millimeters is alrger so the crank won't press onto the BB spindle the proper distance. I know many will say 'poo-poo' but it's like morphing a Ford water pump onto a chevy..lots of Campag BBs out there.
Quoted message said:
I'd like to keep the BB that I have. Though, I have been looking for an excuse to stop in your shop. I live in Longmont, which is why I'm interested in the 50/34. I'm from WI and lived in MN for 13 years and I never had a problem with 39/23 on any hill that I'd ridden while living in either of those states. Not true since moving to CO. Left onto Lee Hill from Left Hand Canyon (going towards Ward) was really tough (for me) in 39/23. :-) Old Stage is an almost complete out of the saddle grind fest as well. I either need easier gearing or more time on the bike to make these hills more manageable. Jamestown isn't bad with the gearing I have now. But I think Ward would hurt a lot. Then there are all the bigger climbs that I want to do that I think may be even more difficult. I have much to explore around here and I don't want blow out my knees in the process. I see lots of triple setups and compacts at work and now I understand why.