Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Hydrate or Die... or

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 48 posts · 1,328 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
14 April 2005
Last activity
18 April 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
48
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,328
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–48 of 48
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. bbaka wrote:

    "I raided an
    orchard one time thinking I was eating small plums and they turned out
    to be prunes. "

    <snip>

    Errrrrrrrrrr - aren't prunes just dried plums???????????????

    Absent Husband...

  2. 17 Apr 2005 03:49:35 -0700,
    <[email hidden]>, "Absent

    Husband said:

    bbaka wrote:

    "I raided an
    orchard one time thinking I was eating small plums and they turned out
    to be prunes. "

    <snip>

    Errrrrrrrrrr - aren't prunes just dried plums???????????????

    Yes, but don't tell bb.

    "Prunes are a group of plums chacterized by an oblong shape, dark
    purple skin (often with a blue, waxy "bloom" or coating) and a very
    high sugar content (the high sugar allows for sun-drying without
    fermenting at the pit). These are generally referred to as European
    plums or prune plums, to distinguish them from Japanese and hybrid
    plums, which are generally rounder in shape and with watery flesh."

    - Douglas Justice
    Associate Director
    UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research

    There used to be a beauty on the rental property at the end of my
    block. The tenants never picked them so the birds shared them with me
    and I shared them with friends. The house was torn down last year and
    the tree is gone. I've still a few jars of plum jam.

    My favourite cherry tree is gone now too. It was huge.
    --
    zk

  3. On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 09:28:21 -0700, Zoot Katz
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    [chop]

    Quoted message said:

    My favourite cherry tree is gone now too. It was huge.

    [chop]

    Dear Augustine,

    Get over it.

    Your loving son,

    G. Washington

  4. Absent Husband said:

    bbaka wrote:

    "I raided an
    orchard one time thinking I was eating small plums and they turned out
    to be prunes. "

    <snip>

    Errrrrrrrrrr - aren't prunes just dried plums???????????????

    Absent Husband...


    Supposedly.
    But I found out that the old wives tale about them cleaning your pipes
    is true if you eat too many of them. These were too small to be of any
    use for sale as plums so it may be that there is a variety grown to be
    used as prunes.
    Beats the [censored] out of ex-lax.
    This one caused me to exercise caution as to what I eat on the longer
    rides in the country, and to take some emergency 'paper', not of the
    reading kind.
    Now I take Water, tools, minor med kit, food, and the above mentioned
    supplies. When I go out I am sometimes over 30 miles from even a
    roadside bar/grill.
    Bill Baka

  5. AustinMN said:

    Largest study ever done (about 4 years ago) on sodium vs. lifespan
    found that (almost) across the board, people consuming more sodium
    lived longer.

    If you're referring to the 1998 Alderman study, it's not that simple:
    they did find an inverse association of mortality with sodium intake,
    but also a positive association of mortality with sodium-to-calorie ratio.

    [Lancet 1998; 351: 781-85]

    --
    "Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much
    to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes,
    it has not died out." -- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

  6. Werehatrack said:

    I believe there is an old saying, "Moderation in all things,
    and all things in moderation."

    It's from Aristotle's "Nicomachean Ethics".

    --
    "To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
    Moderation is for monks." -- Robert A. Heinlein,
    "Time Enough For Love" (1973)

  7. And "correlation is not cause."

    "LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:BeB8e.29803$A31.26319@fed1read03...

    Quoted message said:
    AustinMN said:

    Largest study ever done (about 4 years ago) on sodium vs. lifespan
    found that (almost) across the board, people consuming more sodium
    lived longer.

    If you're referring to the 1998 Alderman study, it's not that simple: they
    did find an inverse association of mortality with sodium intake, but also
    a positive association of mortality with sodium-to-calorie ratio.

    [Lancet 1998; 351: 781-85]

    --
    "Bicycling is a healthy and manly pursuit with much
    to recommend it, and, unlike other foolish crazes,
    it has not died out." -- The Daily Telegraph (1877)

  8. LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m said:
    Werehatrack said:

    I believe there is an old saying, "Moderation in all things,
    and all things in moderation."

    It's from Aristotle's "Nicomachean Ethics".

    --
    "To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites.
    Moderation is for monks." -- Robert A. Heinlein,
    "Time Enough For Love" (1973)

    Seeing how this is marathon day here in Boston, I think it's
    appropriate to say few words in defense of unnecessary, but "heroic",
    efforts. I think the same motives drive people to ride centuries,
    double-centuries and beyond, and run marathons. It's not just
    machismo/bragging rights or some latent masochism, but rather the human
    need to test ourselves.

    It's easy to mock much-less-than-world-class athletes as they struggle
    with their individual limitations, viewing them as deluded "Walter
    Mitty" types, but that's a sad and impoverished perspective. It's
    marathon day, I salute them all, those running for the prize and those
    running for the painful joy of having done it!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.