rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

hubs/cranks and stuff

Started by fishinwheel · · Last activity · 32 posts · 586 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
16 February 2007
Last activity
21 February 2007
Original author
fishinwheel
Posts
32
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
586
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–32 of 32
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. jayhawker said:

    I am interested in how widespread this problem is.

    Was I just lucky to get an in spec Koxx 1 hub?

    I think the K1 hubs are all the same (i.e. all non-ISIS). Probably you
    are just lucky that the Truvativ cranks are wide enough to fit.

    --
    Niko

    -the harder you try, the dumber you look.-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Niko's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10976
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58058

  2. division8.ca said:

    First point : year after year, the KOXX bicycle lineup always counts
    between 15 and 20 bikes, bikes that use 1.125" headtubes, 68xBSA1.37"
    BB sheels, 135mm spacing rear hub, etc, are called MTB's... Let's not
    play with words here....

    We obviously talk a different language, in the UK MTB means Mountain
    Bike, not Trials Bike. Admittedly the technologies are similar in
    this, so it is just side tracking the discussion.

    division8.ca said:

    Second point : If you can put your hands on a ISIS BB, and compare it
    with the K1 hub spindle, you'll see that the difference is actually
    noticeable if you pay attention... Of course, even I didn't notice
    until I actually tried to fit an ISIS MTB crank on the K1 hub...
    Removing less material when grooving the spines certainly can't make
    the spindle weaker.

    The Koxx interface is 1.6mm shorter than the minimum required by ISIS
    standard, this of course will be weaker than an interface of the
    correct length. As it happens decreasing the depth of the splines in
    this instance is more likely to decrease the strength rather than
    increase it due it reducing the metal to medal contact area due to the
    tapered spline design. This is only marginal though.

    division8.ca said:

    Now, was it done intentionnally or not, I can't tell.

    This is again relatively irrelevant. It is history, it has been done.

    division8.ca said:

    Third point : I never said you should use K1 cranks on other hubs. I
    would rather even strongly advise against it. Use the K1 stuff as a
    combo. Just like you can't use an ISIS crankset on an Octalink Spindle,
    or why different BMX 3pc cranksets from different manufacturers all use
    a different spindle interface. If the interface isn't the same on your
    cranks and spindle, you're definitly asking for problems...

    Please check the Koxx-one site..... http://www.koxx-one.com/ You will
    see there that they are STILL claiming that their hubs and cranks are
    ISIS. Have they changed them? They have not informed the public. The
    problem is this confusion, not whether they make mountain bikes or not.
    If they really are ISIS then there will be cross compatibility with
    other ISIS hub/cranks, this is why the ISIS standard was set up. If
    you had a Cotterless crank that did not fit on a cotterless hub you
    would think it odd, wouldn't you?

    It would be helpful if Koxx made it clear what they are selling? They
    have obviously told you one thing and us another and the public nothing
    at all. They are just leaving the retailers do their best to find a
    solution to this problem.

    Roger

    --
    rogeratunicycledotcom

    ++++++++++++++++++
    Unicycle.com in the UK
    The UK's Unicycle Source
    www.unicycle.uk.com
    +++++++++++++++++++
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58058

  3. rogeratunicycledotcom said:

    Please check the Koxx-one site..... http://www.koxx-one.com/ You will
    see there that they are STILL claiming that their hubs and cranks are
    ISIS. Have they changed them? They have not informed the public. The
    problem is this confusion, not whether they make mountain bikes or not.
    If they really are ISIS then there will be cross compatibility with
    other ISIS hub/cranks, this is why the ISIS standard was set up. If
    you had a Cotterless crank that did not fit on a cotterless hub you
    would think it odd, wouldn't you?

    It would be helpful if Koxx made it clear what they are selling? They
    have obviously told you one thing and us another and the public nothing
    at all. They are just leaving the retailers do their best to find a
    solution to this problem.

    Thank you again for addressing these issues so openly, that really
    deserves respect.
    As I said, the best way to put pressure on Koxx might be to tip of the
    ISIS consortium. Maybe they could send some tall guys in black suits to
    the K1 HQ... 😎

    --
    Niko

    -the harder you try, the dumber you look.-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Niko's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10976
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58058

  4. Niko said:

    I think the K1 hubs are all the same (i.e. all non-ISIS). Probably you
    are just lucky that the Truvativ cranks are wide enough to fit.

    Clearly not all K1 hubs are the same. My hub has a flute length of
    16.0mm and Roland's hub had a flute length of 14.4mm. Do you consider
    that the same?

    It is clear, that at a minimum, Koxx has some quality issues. I would
    bet that my K1 hub is within the ISIS specs. From my measurements the
    flute length of 16.0mm is within spec and the distance between flutes
    of 17.3mm is within one hundredth of a mm and that is only because I
    have a poor micrometer. I have fit three different sets of Truvativ
    Luftalarm cranks on this K1 hub so I doubt I got lucky with the
    cranks.

    Since only a handful of K1 hubs have been measured, a larger sample set
    needs to be measured before a clear determination can be made about how
    many K1 hubs do and don't meet the ISIS spec. I do understand why
    retailers such as Roger and Roland made the statement about the K1
    hubs. If a retailer knows of a potential compatibility issue they
    must assume that all K1 hubs are suspect and issue a warning to protect
    customers.

    I am in no way defending Koxx! If Koxx designed the K1 hub and cranks
    to be outside of the ISIS specification they should not be allowed to
    use the ISIS name. But if
    Koxx had some quality issues, like any manufacture has at one time or
    another, I am willing to forgive them.

    It does not help Koxx's case that they have not provided us with
    information about the hubs that Roland measured. The only statement
    from Koxx has been "we are ISIS compliant", which is clearly not the
    case with all of their hubs.

    The more important question is "did Koxx design their K1 hub outside of
    the ISIS specification?".

    Only Koxx can answer this question. Until Koxx does they will have
    fewer customers in the unicycle market.

    --
    jayhawker
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jayhawker's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11274
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58058

  5. jayhawker said:

    Clearly not all K1 hubs are the same. My hub has a flute length of
    16.0mm and Roland's hub had a flute length of 14.4mm. Do you consider
    that the same?

    Oh, O.K, I was just basing my statement on the basis that so far no one
    fit KH cranks on a K1 hub and there were never any problems fitting K1
    cranks on K1 hubs (as far as I know). Please note that the flute depth
    was also measured to be out of spec (and that probably on every K1
    hub). Thats why I said that the Truvativ cranks may be wide enough by
    design (maybe they are out of spec as well?). But thats just my
    speculation.

    --
    Niko

    -the harder you try, the dumber you look.-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Niko's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10976
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58058

  6. Niko said:

    Oh, O.K, I was just basing my statement on the basis that so far no one
    fit KH cranks on a K1 hub and there were never any problems fitting K1
    cranks on K1 hubs (as far as I know). Please note that the flute depth
    was also measured to be out of spec (and that probably on every K1
    hub). Thats why I said that the Truvativ cranks may be wide enough by
    design (maybe they are out of spec as well?). But thats just my
    speculation.

    Yes, as far as I know, no one has fit a KH crank on a K1 hub. But also
    understand that the ISIS specification has tolerances where a crank and
    hub can both be ISIS and not fit together.

    From the ISIS spec:

    Max distance between hub flutes: 17.290 mm +0.0 mm - 0.035 mm

    Max distance between crank flutes: 17.290 mm+/- 0.020 mm

    So a ISIS hub can have a flute distance of 17.290 mm and a ISIS crank
    can have a flute distance of 17.270 mm. In this case both the hub and
    crank are ISIS and they will not fit together. I am not saying this
    is the case of the K1 hub. Clearly it is not, because Roland measured a
    flute length of 14.6 mm (outside of the spec) and a flute distance that
    might have been more than 17.34 mm (also outside the spec).

    Yes, Roland's K1 flute distance was out of spec, but please understand
    that the flute distance on my K1 hub is clearly different than what
    Roland saw. As far as the Truvativ cranks, I bet they are within the
    ISIS spec. If the Truvativ cranks were the largest allowed, they would
    be 17.31 mm. For them to fit on the K1, the K1 would be at most 17.30
    mm (+ 0.01 mm) over the ISIS spec but more than likely within the ISIS
    spec at 17.29 mm.

    Since my K1 hub is more than likely within the ISIS spec, I wish people
    would stop speculating that "all K1 hubs are out of spec". I will admit
    that I may have the only K1 hub within the ISIS spec, but one does
    exist!

    The problem is that there is too much "speculation" and not enough
    "facts". Most of the speculation is due to Koxx not being upfront
    about the hubs that were not within the ISIS specification.

    Here are the facts:

    I own one K1 hub that is within the ISIS specification.

    Roland measured some K1 hubs that were outside of the specification.
    (Koxx needs to comment on why these hubs were outside of the ISIS
    specification).

    Some KH cranks did not fit on some K1 hubs.

    Again, I am not trying to defend Koxx, Koxx could clear all this up if
    they came public with all the information about the K1 hub. But I also
    am not ready to condemn Koxx. I would like to know the facts before I
    pass judgment.

    --
    jayhawker
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jayhawker's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11274
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58058

  7. Thanks for the clarification. And it is true that Koxx should come
    forward and help to end the speculations.
    I guess the tests that Roger talked about were not only done on a
    single hub. If the problems were indeed the result of manufacturing
    variance and not only a systematic derivation, then I just wonder why
    there are no compatibility problems between K1 hubs and cranks (a
    friend of mine had to replace his K1 cranks twice without any problems
    with the fit).

    --
    Niko

    -the harder you try, the dumber you look.-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Niko's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10976
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58058

  8. Niko said:

    I guess the tests that Roger talked about were not only done on a single
    hub.

    no, they were done on 5 hubs/unicycles, 2 from one batch and 3 from
    another several months later. All were of similar size; in fact they
    were incredibly similar. It is interesting that not all are the same.
    jayhawker, is yours one of the newer batch with the words REINFORCED
    printed in the centre?

    Roger

    --
    rogeratunicycledotcom

    ++++++++++++++++++
    Unicycle.com in the UK
    The UK's Unicycle Source
    www.unicycle.uk.com
    +++++++++++++++++++
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58058

  9. rogeratunicycledotcom said:

    no, they were done on 5 hubs/unicycles, 2 from one batch and 3 from
    another several months later. All were of similar size; in fact they
    were incredibly similar. It is interesting that not all are the same.
    jayhawker, is yours one of the newer batch with the words REINFORCED
    printed in the centre?

    Roger

    Hi Roger,

    My hub has the standard K1 within an oval in the center of the hub and
    nothing else. I believe I purchased this hub from Roland on August 31,
    2006 (if that helps).

    Interesting! Testing multiple hubs from multiple batches, all with
    similar size, is definitely a trend. Would mine have come from a
    previous batch?

    Has anyone been able to test the new "REINFORCED" Koxx hubs?

    Jayhawker

    --
    jayhawker
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jayhawker's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11274
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58058

  10. So have any tests been done on the most recent hubs?

    This only seems to have become a big issue since the KH moment hub came
    out which is probably because of the lack of compatability but since
    then Koxx have brought out their ISIS light hub, is this ISIS or does
    it have the same problem?

    And Jayhawker, you have admitted in another thread that not all Koxx
    hubs are the same 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/22yqmj)

    It seems that if the new hub is the same as the old one and is out of
    spec then Koxx don't really care about making a hub that is truly ISIS
    and should stop using the name. If they are making a hub that is
    Genuine ISIS then people with the old hubs should be allowed to return
    them.

    If I bought a hub sold as ISIS and it did not meet the specification
    then I would feel entitled to get my money back.

    Plumsie

    --
    plumsie
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    plumsie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9800
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58058

  11. Hi Plumsie,

    Today I pulled a crank off my Koxx Devil and measured the flutes. The
    flute length is 15.9 mm (slightly under spec) and the flute distance
    (rough measurement) was 17.3 mm (probably within spec). This confused
    me because as you stated I tried to mount a Truvativ crank on the hub
    last fall and saw a 1/4" gap. I was expecting to see a flute length in
    the 14.6 mm range that Roland had seen. I then installed the Truvativ
    crank and saw the 1/4" gap again. The problem is the spacer was still
    on the Koxx crank that I had pulled off. When I pulled the crank off
    and installed the spacer, everything was fine. The Truvativ crank has
    a collar that looks like a spacer, last fall I must have thought that
    the spacer was installed.

    I purchased the Koxx Devil in the fall of 2005. So maybe old batches
    of Koxx 1 hubs are closer to the ISIS specification than the current
    ones. I have considered ordering a set of KH Moment 165 cranks to see
    if they fit on my K1/Large Marge wheel set. But since UDC is out of
    stock I will not be able to try this until they get some. Also I don't
    want to be the one to say "KH Moment cranks fit on my K1 hub" and have
    other people try the same thing and fail.

    Jayhawker

    --
    jayhawker
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jayhawker's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11274
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58058

  12. You can go the the below site to see Onza Unicycles.

    http://www.onza.com/site_files_flash/04models.htm

    I have ridden the 2005 model and am very happy with it except for the
    shape of the crown. The potruding pipes would always hit the insides of
    my knees or my knee/shin guards and this was quite anoying. Other than
    that it was a great Unicycle.

    If the price is similar go for the KH 2007. If you want to have an less
    common Unicycle go for the Onza.

    The only thing inferior to the KH is that the paint chips and scratches
    easier on the aluminum than on CroMoly.

    Unicorn

    --
    Unicorn

    Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
    accomplish great feats!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unicorn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12801
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/58058

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.