Road Cycling · Public discussion

How to cycle for weight loss

Started by Daniel Crispin · · Last activity · 159 posts · 8,189 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
5 June 2004
Last activity
13 June 2004
Original author
Daniel Crispin
Posts
159
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
8,189
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 159
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello,

    I am wondering if there is an easy way to dose my efforts
    toward weight loss. I could buy a HRM but I have already
    spent 600$ on my bike this month and would like to stop
    spending for a while.

    Any trick that can tell me I am using the right effort for
    weight loss? Someone told me that if I cannot speak without
    feeling a little out of breath that is the right zone... is
    that true?

    Also I am been trying to pedal faster. I used to pedal slow
    and hard but after reading some books I now understand it's
    a really bad way to do it. I have no idea what my current
    cadence is since my computer doesn't have that feature but I
    think I am at around 1.25 turn per second... that is of
    course an approximate... it would mean 75 turns per minute
    which is close to what is recommanded... I cannot see myself
    pedaling faster, already feels like I am spinning way too
    fast 😉 How do you guys do 100 turns per minute? Must be a
    mental issue, the legs don't seems to mind but geez at a 100
    I am not sure I could even keep my balance hehehe!

    Last thing... what should I eat before and during training?
    I love pasta. I know they contain a lot of calories but that
    is the food I like. On the other hand they give lots of
    carbs so that can't be bad while training right? Should I
    eat something different the days I train?

    How about during training? I normal bring a Nutribar which
    is an meal replacement designed for weight loss. I has a
    balance of carbs, fats and proteins. Should I use something
    with more carbs?

  2. "Daniel Crispin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I am wondering if there is an easy way to dose my efforts
    toward weight loss.

    <bunch of stuff snipped>

    Daniel,

    I see lots of folks who take up cycling for weight loss and
    never lose weight. Frankly, it's not exactly the best choice
    for weight loss because it's a non-weight-bearing activity
    and most folks who have real jobs can't do enough of it, or
    won't work hard enough at it, to get much benefit.

    What I've read and what I believe based on years of
    observing various riders, reading tons of stuff, etc. is
    that you absolutely will not lose weight if you don't ride
    with some intensity ... at least a couple of times a week.
    There was a long time when the popular theory was that, if
    you spent all your time training in a certain, relatively
    easy, heart rate zone, you were using fat as your fuel
    source instead of sugar. Therefore, staying in that range
    all the time would make you lose fat. Great theory, but I
    never EVER saw that work for anyone.

    If you want to lose weight on the bike, you have to work
    HARD on the bike. Lots of mile, lots of intervals of
    intensity, etc.

    I don't have a "real" job. I'm self-employed and have a
    farm. I have a flexible schedule and can ride alot. I get in
    250 to 300 miles per week pretty much all year round. I
    don't race, but I do centuries with the racer folks and turn
    in sub-5 hour rides regularly. That's intensity for this 48
    year old body. I say all that to say this ... even with all
    those miles and near-race intensity, if I don't eat right, I
    gain weight. Carbs like pasta can be great fuel before a big
    ride, but most of the time, if you want to lose, you've
    gotta discipline your diet. I recommend you look at the Zone
    diet and learn its principles. It's not really one of the
    fad diets. I'm not a dietician, but the Zone principles seem
    to make sense ... balancing your fat, protein and
    carbohydrate intake to keep your blood sugar at optimum
    levels. It's really worked for me.

    One last thing. Crosstraining. Bicycling is great, but I
    find it really helps to add a second activity when I want to
    lose weight. For me, it's just walking. As I said, I live on
    a farm and I simply walk the property each morning. It takes
    about 20 minutes and gets the motor going. For some reason,
    the addition of a second activity like this really pushes
    things into higher gear for me and I lose weight quickly.

    I hope some of this helps. I'm sure I'm going to get flamed
    'cuz I'm not offering any specific data to back up what I'm
    saying. This is just based on personal experience and a
    decade of observation and "study."

    Good luck. Bob C.

  3. Daniel Crispin said:

    I am wondering if there is an easy way to dose my efforts
    toward weight loss. I could buy a HRM but I have already
    spent 600$ on my bike this month and would like to stop
    spending for a while.

    How about free? And probably less biased than most, because
    it's not selling anything:

    hackersdiet.orghackersdiet.org

    Quoted message said:

    Any trick that can tell me I am using the right effort for
    weight loss? Someone told me that if I cannot speak
    without feeling a little out of breath that is the right
    zone... is that true?

    Not necessarily. Ride. Recover. Ride more.

    Quoted message said:

    Also I am been trying to pedal faster. I used to pedal
    slow and hard but after reading some books I now
    understand it's a really bad way to do it.

    As long as the pressure on your knees is low, I don't think
    it really matters how fast you spin.

    Quoted message said:

    Last thing... what should I eat before and during
    training? I love pasta. I know they contain a lot of
    calories but that is the food I like. On the other hand
    they give lots of carbs so that can't be bad while
    training right? Should I eat something different the days
    I train?

    Read the book above. If you want to lose fat, you need to
    eat fewer calories than you burn. In that book, cycling is
    rated at about 300 calories per hour. The good news is that
    is probably for what most people think of as cycling--slow,
    easy rides on a bike path. Most of the readers of this
    newsgroup will burn more.

    Quoted message said:

    How about during training? I normal bring a Nutribar which
    is an meal replacement designed for weight loss. I has a
    balance of carbs, fats and proteins. Should I use
    something with more carbs?

    How about something less manufactured and more grown?
    Bananas are good. So are apples. So are fig bars, for
    that matter. (I have mixed feelings about the current low-
    carb fad.)

    --
    Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

  4. I generally read about 35 calories burned per mile for
    modest biking, dependent upon degree of effort, wieght of
    biker, etc. But, it is a good figure to start with.

    Cadence. Look at your watch while pedaling, when it gets to
    a "0", start counting full revolutions until it gets to the
    next "0". I.e., 20-30, 0-10, etc. Multiply the revolutions
    you counted by 6.

    While not absolutely accurate, it will give you a good diea.

    Over the past 6 years of riding (starting at age 58) my
    cadence has gone from about 60-70 to 90-110, and I can get
    cadences up to 140-150 if I want.

    It just takes time and practice.

    Use the Zone Diet, or the Body for Life eating plan - they
    are pretty comparable, and the BFL is really easy to
    implement. It takes exercise AND good eating habits to
    lose weight.

    I bike pretty intensely, getting my heart rate up to about
    155 BPM on hills and acceleration, which is pretty high for
    someone age 64.

    Good luck!

    members.aol.comfoxcondorsrvtns (Colorado
    rental condo)

    members.aol.comdnvrfox (Family Web Page)

  5. "psycholist" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Daniel,

    I see lots of folks who take up cycling for weight loss
    and never lose weight. Frankly, it's not exactly the best
    choice for weight loss because it's a non-weight-bearing
    activity and most folks who have real jobs can't do enough
    of it, or won't work hard enough at it, to get much
    benefit.

    I agree that most people can't devote racer-like hours to
    training, and that many people do not possess the intensity
    to burn lots of calories cycling. However, weight-bearing
    has little effect, I think. The reason people don't lose
    weight when they cycle is because they are consuming more
    calories than they burn. Didn't we have a 100+ thread about
    this very subject not long ago?

    Quoted message said:

    What I've read and what I believe based on years of
    observing various riders, reading tons of stuff, etc. is
    that you absolutely will not lose weight if you don't ride
    with some intensity ... at least a couple of


    times

    Quoted message said:

    a week. There was a long time when the popular theory was
    that, if you spent all your time training in a certain,
    relatively easy, heart rate


    zone,

    Quoted message said:

    you were using fat as your fuel source instead of sugar.
    Therefore,


    staying

    Quoted message said:

    in that range all the time would make you lose fat. Great
    theory, but I never EVER saw that work for anyone.

    Because they ate too much. It's easy to do---Powerbars,
    Gatorade, pre-ride pasta gorge, post-ride beers and pizza.
    If they ate at maintenance level calories and rode like you
    say, they will lose weight.

    Quoted message said:

    If you want to lose weight on the bike, you have to work
    HARD on the bike. Lots of mile, lots of intervals of
    intensity, etc.

    Long slow distance seems to be the rule. Of course, some Poliquin-
    type interval training helps, too. But calories are the key.
    As bodybuilders say, "great abs are made in the kitchen".

    Quoted message said:

    I don't have a "real" job. I'm self-employed and have a
    farm. I have a flexible schedule and can ride alot. I get
    in 250 to 300 miles per week pretty much all year round. I
    don't race, but I do centuries with the


    racer

    Quoted message said:

    folks and turn in sub-5 hour rides regularly. That's
    intensity for this


    48

    Quoted message said:

    year old body. I say all that to say this ... even with
    all those miles


    and

    Quoted message said:

    near-race intensity, if I don't eat right, I gain weight.
    Carbs like


    pasta

    Quoted message said:

    can be great fuel before a big ride, but most of the time,
    if you want to lose, you've gotta discipline your diet. I
    recommend you look at the Zone diet and learn its
    principles. It's not really one of the fad diets. I'm not
    a dietician, but the Zone principles seem to make sense
    ... balancing your fat, protein and carbohydrate intake to
    keep your blood sugar at optimum levels. It's really
    worked for me.

    Good for you. But tricks aside, you cannot escape The Law of
    Thermodynamics. If anyone consumes fewer calories than
    burned, weight loss will occur. The key is burning fat and
    not excessive amounts of muscle.

    Quoted message said:

    One last thing. Crosstraining. Bicycling is great, but I
    find it really helps to add a second activity when I want
    to lose weight. For me, it's just walking. As I said, I
    live on a farm and I simply walk the property each
    morning. It takes about 20 minutes and gets the motor
    going. For


    some

    Quoted message said:

    reason, the addition of a second activity like this really
    pushes things into higher gear for me and I lose weight
    quickly.

    Weight lifting would be ideal. Growing muscle helps to burn
    fat. Everybody should strength train, if for no other reason
    than to maintain bone density. I don't want to end up a stick-
    armed old man with great cardio ability. I want to end up a
    strong old man with great cardio ability! :-)

  6. Warren Block said:
    Daniel Crispin said:

    I am wondering if there is an easy way to dose my efforts
    toward weight loss. I could buy a HRM but I have already
    spent 600$ on my bike this month and would like to stop
    spending for a while.


    Most of the previous posts have been to the point, but
    numerically (and approximately),

    Weight loss = (Calories out - calories in) / 3500.

    If you push on the bike, rather than just cruising, you
    might burn 500 calories / hr. But it would still take about
    seven hours of pedaling to burn off one pound of fat,
    assuming no change in diet. This is why you have to watch it
    in the kitchen, too, since it is not too difficult to add
    back a few hundred calories a day with the pasta, energy
    bars, etc., etc. It doesn't take much, unfortunately...

    The moral: if you want to be a bit more scientific about it,
    try actually adding up the calories. Then you can find out
    where they came from and where they went (and if you're not
    losing weight, why they didn't went).

    Cheers, and happy pedaling. At least we have fun while we
    struggle...

  7. "Gooserider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "psycholist" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Daniel,

    I see lots of folks who take up cycling for weight loss
    and never lose weight. Frankly, it's not exactly the
    best choice for weight loss


    because

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    it's a non-weight-bearing activity and most folks who
    have real jobs


    can't

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    do enough of it, or won't work hard enough at it, to get
    much benefit.

    I agree that most people can't devote racer-like hours to
    training, and


    that

    Quoted message said:

    many people do not possess the intensity to burn lots of
    calories cycling. However, weight-bearing has little
    effect, I think. The reason people


    don't

    Quoted message said:

    lose weight when they cycle is because they are consuming
    more calories


    than

    Quoted message said:

    they burn. Didn't we have a 100+ thread about this very
    subject not long ago?

    Quoted message said:

    What I've read and what I believe based on years of
    observing various riders, reading tons of stuff, etc. is
    that you absolutely will not lose weight if you don't
    ride with some intensity ... at least a couple of


    times

    Quoted message said:

    a week. There was a long time when the popular theory
    was that, if you spent all your time training in a
    certain, relatively easy, heart rate


    zone,

    Quoted message said:

    you were using fat as your fuel source instead of sugar.
    Therefore,


    staying

    Quoted message said:

    in that range all the time would make you lose fat.
    Great theory, but I never EVER saw that work for anyone.

    Because they ate too much. It's easy to do---Powerbars,
    Gatorade, pre-ride pasta gorge, post-ride beers and pizza.
    If they ate at maintenance level calories and rode like
    you say, they will lose weight.

    Quoted message said:

    If you want to lose weight on the bike, you have to work
    HARD on the


    bike.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Lots of mile, lots of intervals of intensity, etc.

    Long slow distance seems to be the rule. Of course, some
    Poliquin-type interval training helps, too. But calories
    are the key. As bodybuilders


    say,

    Quoted message said:

    "great abs are made in the kitchen".

    Quoted message said:

    I don't have a "real" job. I'm self-employed and have a
    farm. I have a flexible schedule and can ride alot. I
    get in 250 to 300 miles per week pretty much all year
    round. I don't race, but I do centuries with the


    racer

    Quoted message said:

    folks and turn in sub-5 hour rides regularly. That's
    intensity for this


    48

    Quoted message said:

    year old body. I say all that to say this ... even with
    all those miles


    and

    Quoted message said:

    near-race intensity, if I don't eat right, I gain
    weight. Carbs like


    pasta

    Quoted message said:

    can be great fuel before a big ride, but most of the
    time, if you want


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    lose, you've gotta discipline your diet. I recommend you
    look at the


    Zone

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    diet and learn its principles. It's not really one of
    the fad diets.


    I'm

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    not a dietician, but the Zone principles seem to make
    sense ...


    balancing

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    your fat, protein and carbohydrate intake to keep
    your blood sugar at optimum levels. It's really
    worked for me.

    Good for you. But tricks aside, you cannot escape
    The Law of


    Thermodynamics.

    Quoted message said:

    If anyone consumes fewer calories than burned, weight loss
    will occur. The key is burning fat and not excessive
    amounts of muscle.

    Quoted message said:

    One last thing. Crosstraining. Bicycling is great, but I
    find it


    really

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    helps to add a second activity when I want to lose
    weight. For me, it's just walking. As I said, I live on
    a farm and I simply walk the


    property

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    each morning. It takes about 20 minutes and gets the
    motor going. For


    some

    Quoted message said:

    reason, the addition of a second activity like this
    really pushes things into higher gear for me and I lose
    weight quickly.

    Weight lifting would be ideal. Growing muscle helps to
    burn fat. Everybody should strength train, if for no other
    reason than to maintain bone


    density.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't want to end up a stick-armed old man with great
    cardio ability. I want to end up a strong old man with
    great cardio ability! :-)

    I do core strength work. I believe that's important. Weight
    training, per se, can actually result in gaining weight. If
    the goal is strictly weight loss, I'd opt for some core
    strength exercises that don't involve much in the way of
    weights. You can do a lot with crunches, pushups, chair
    dips, etc.

    Bob C.

  8. Bicycling is a great way to lose weight! I think most
    important is to ride long and steady to lose. I don't
    use a HR monitor, so I can't help you there, but there
    is an effective HR for weight loss, but it is different
    for everyone and we would need to know more information
    about you.

    If you like pasta, it will be harder to lose, unless you
    don't eat that much. Sorry, that is just the way it is. A
    high carb diet makes it harder to lose, it is just the
    facts. It can certainly be done and is done all the time,
    but you need to cut calories, unless you are going to ride
    very long distances 4+ days a week. I suggest lower fat if
    you are going high carb. If you want to lose faster, then
    bag the pasta and eat chicken, fish, etc.

    JMHO, Curt

    "Daniel Crispin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I am wondering if there is an easy way to dose my efforts
    toward weight loss. I could buy a HRM but I have already
    spent 600$ on my bike this month and would like


    to

    Quoted message said:

    stop spending for a while.

    Any trick that can tell me I am using the right effort for
    weight loss? Someone told me that if I cannot speak
    without feeling a little out of breath that is the right
    zone... is that true?

    Also I am been trying to pedal faster. I used to pedal
    slow and hard but after reading some books I now
    understand it's a really bad way to do it. I have no idea
    what my current cadence is since my computer doesn't have
    that feature but I think I am at around 1.25 turn


    per

    Quoted message said:

    second... that is of course an approximate... it would
    mean 75 turns per minute which is close to what is
    recommanded... I cannot see myself pedaling faster,
    already feels like I am spinning way too fast


    😉

    Quoted message said:

    How do you guys do 100 turns per minute? Must be a mental
    issue, the legs don't seems to mind but geez at a 100 I am
    not sure I could even keep my balance hehehe!

    Last thing... what should I eat before and during
    training? I love pasta. I know they contain a lot of
    calories but that is the food I like. On the other hand
    they give lots of carbs so that can't be bad while
    training right? Should I eat something different the days
    I train?

    How about during training? I normal bring a Nutribar which
    is an meal replacement designed for weight loss. I has a
    balance of carbs, fats and proteins. Should I use
    something with more carbs?

  9. "psycholist" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I do core strength work. I believe that's important.
    Weight training,


    per

    Quoted message said:

    se, can actually result in gaining weight. If the goal is
    strictly weight loss, I'd opt for some core strength
    exercises that don't involve much in the way of weights.
    You can do a lot with crunches, pushups, chair dips, etc.

    True. But someone who is 150 pounds at 10 percent bodyfat is
    in far better shape than someone who weighs 150 pounds at 20
    percent bodyfat. Weight alone is not the issue(except for
    racers). We're not talking about becoming Mr Olympia. Just
    general fitness, and nothing works better at building
    strength than basic compound strength training exercises.
    Bench press, military press, squat, deadlift. Difficult to
    duplicate with just bodyweight, especially once one attains
    a basic strength level. :-)

  10. "psycholist" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Daniel Crispin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I am wondering if there is an easy way to dose my
    efforts toward weight loss.

    <bunch of stuff snipped>

    Daniel,

    I see lots of folks who take up cycling for weight loss
    and never lose weight. Frankly, it's not exactly the best
    choice for weight loss because it's a non-weight-bearing
    activity and most folks who have real jobs can't do enough
    of it, or won't work hard enough at it, to get much
    benefit.

    What I've read and what I believe based on years of
    observing various riders, reading tons of stuff, etc. is
    that you absolutely will not lose weight if you don't ride
    with some intensity ... at least a couple of


    times

    Quoted message said:

    a week. There was a long time when the popular theory was
    that, if you spent all your time training in a certain,
    relatively easy, heart rate


    zone,

    Quoted message said:

    you were using fat as your fuel source instead of sugar.
    Therefore,


    staying

    Quoted message said:

    in that range all the time would make you lose fat. Great
    theory, but I never EVER saw that work for anyone.

    If you want to lose weight on the bike, you have to work
    HARD on the bike.

    I put on some weight a couple of years ago from a thyroid
    condition. About 15 lbs, which doesn't sound like much but
    it was on me! It was largely due to metabolism. However, I
    found that I began to lose the weight during the cycling
    season, and the best thing I can advise is lots of long
    rides. Intensity is good, but if fat burning is the goal,
    long, steady rides are best- not necessarily fast, but
    steady. I began to burn fat, and during the winter would
    work out at the gym. I guess the muscle toning and fat
    burning kick started my slowed-down metabolism and made me
    burn energy more efficiently. I lost all the weight I
    gained and then some, 20 lbs altogether. ANd you won't just
    lose weight, you'll lose inches.I gained and then lost a
    pant size.

    As for intensity, like hills etc, I think once you build
    endurance, that comes easier. Also as you lose weight,
    climbing is easier. So get those miles and go for a couple
    of really long rides a week and you'll not only lose the
    weight, you'll keep it off. And when your metabolism is
    working faster, you won't gain too much during the winter,
    unless you totally stuff your face and do nothing but watch
    tv for four months.

  11. Daniel Crispin said:

    I am wondering if there is an easy way to dose my efforts
    toward weight loss.

    Quoted message said:

    Any trick that can tell me I am using the right effort for
    weight loss?

    Ride lots.

    If you're looking to lose a lot of weight in a short period
    of time, the latest diet fad may be more effective than
    cycling. But if you're willing to work at it, lose weight
    gradually, and keep it off (while improving your overall
    fitness and energy level) cycling may be the ticket.

    There's no magic formula, except that you must burn more
    calories than you consume. Daily rides of 10-15 miles are
    good, but long weekend rides are where you will really burn
    calories. Speed isn't the main thing. Yes, a faster pace
    will burn more calories per hour, but riding the same
    distance at a moderate pace (longer time in the saddle) is
    almost as good. Don't kill yourself, but don't loaf either.

    Combine a sensible diet (and smaller portions) with regular
    cycling and you can't help but lose weight. After a long
    ride, you metabolism will stay high for a couple of hours,
    helping you to burn calories.

    Make cycling a life-long habit, not just something you're
    going to do for a few months until you reach your target
    weight. The best way to do that is make it fun, not
    something you have to endure. It may help to join a club
    or ride informally with a few other people, especially on
    long rides.

    Quoted message said:

    Someone told me that if I cannot speak without feeling
    a little out of breath that is the right zone... is
    that true?

    That sounds like anaerobic threshold training, and is an
    effective way to achieve fitness. But for weight loss it's
    all about miles.

    Quoted message said:

    Also I have been trying to pedal faster. I used to pedal
    slow and hard


    but

    Quoted message said:

    after reading some books I now understand it's a really
    bad way to do it.

    Initially, a fast cadence won't feel natural. Try for at
    least 75-80 rpms. Lower gears and a faster cadence may
    increase your heart rate, but will be easier on your legs.

    Quoted message said:

    Last thing... what should I eat before and during
    training? I love pasta. I know they contain a lot of
    calories but that is the food I like. On the other hand
    they give lots of carbs so that can't be bad while
    training right?

    Pasta is good, just be mindful of what you put on it.

    Quoted message said:

    How about during training? I normal bring a Nutribar which
    is an meal replacement designed for weight loss.

    Definitely don't starve yourself while you're riding, but
    keep the calorie equation in mind (before, during, and after
    the ride). Normal food is just as good (or better) than
    energy bars. Energy bars can be more convenient. See what
    works best for you.

    Good luck, Art Harris

  12. "Daniel Crispin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello,

    I am wondering if there is an easy way to dose my efforts
    toward weight loss. I could buy a HRM but I have already
    spent 600$ on my bike this month and would like


    to

    Quoted message said:

    stop spending for a while.

    Any trick that can tell me I am using the right effort for
    weight loss? Someone told me that if I cannot speak
    without feeling a little out of breath that is the right
    zone... is that true?

    Also I am been trying to pedal faster. I used to pedal
    slow and hard but after reading some books I now
    understand it's a really bad way to do it. I have no idea
    what my current cadence is since my computer doesn't have
    that feature but I think I am at around 1.25 turn


    per

    Quoted message said:

    second... that is of course an approximate... it would
    mean 75 turns per minute which is close to what is
    recommanded... I cannot see myself pedaling faster,
    already feels like I am spinning way too fast


    😉

    Quoted message said:

    How do you guys do 100 turns per minute? Must be a mental
    issue, the legs don't seems to mind but geez at a 100 I am
    not sure I could even keep my balance hehehe!

    Last thing... what should I eat before and during
    training? I love pasta. I know they contain a lot of
    calories but that is the food I like. On the other hand
    they give lots of carbs so that can't be bad while
    training right? Should I eat something different the days
    I train?

    How about during training? I normal bring a Nutribar which
    is an meal replacement designed for weight loss. I has a
    balance of carbs, fats and proteins. Should I use
    something with more carbs?

    Regarding cadence, I typically ride along at about 90 to 95
    rpm and that's common among lots of the racer-type folks I
    train with. Learning to do that really transformed my
    cycling, shaving an hour off my time on some centuries (over
    the course of a couple of seasons as I got the hang of the
    spin thing).

    Some tips ... The spin starts from the hip. Think of the old
    style locomotive where there was a big drive wheel connected
    to the smaller wheels by beams of steel. That's a bit how
    you should envision your spin. Your hip is where the power
    is that helps drive the pedals. And you need to learn to
    drive the pedals in circles. Make sure you're not just
    mashing down on the pedals each time a foot reaches the top.
    You should work to develop a very smooth pedaling motion
    where you actually feel power to the pedal almost the entire
    way around the pedal revolution.

    Get a set of rollers. Learn to ride them (they're like
    learning to ride a bike ... you'll have it down in just a
    few tries). The secret to staying up on rollers is speed ...
    kind of a gyroscopic effect. They force you to develop leg
    speed. Also, if your pedaling dynamics are bad, they really
    cure that, too. You have to pedal smoothly and evenly or
    you'll be all over the rollers (and maybe on the floor ...
    but that's not to scare you off ... they really aren't hard
    to learn. Just be sure to set them up in a doorway at first
    so you have something to grab if you do start to go down).

    As for determining cadence, count your pedal revolutions
    (each time your right foot reaches the bottom, for example)
    for 10 seconds and multiply by six. Or count them for six
    seconds and multiply by 10. Or count them for 15 seconds and
    multiply by 4. Or count them for 20 seconds and ...

    Bob C.

  13. curt said:

    If you like pasta, it will be harder to lose, unless you
    don't eat that much. Sorry, that is just the way it is. A
    high carb diet makes it harder to lose, it is just the
    facts. It can certainly be done and is done all the time,
    but you need to cut calories, unless you are going to ride
    very long distances 4+ days a week. I suggest lower fat if
    you are going high carb. If you want to lose faster, then
    bag the pasta and eat chicken, fish, etc.

    JMHO, Curt

    Just one quibble on the 'if you like pasta it will be harder
    to lose'. I'm in complete agreement, but it seems that -some-
    ppl don't actually have 'carb addiction', and it is really
    (so say those ppl) a matter of eating less, moving more and
    having the will power, or determination to continue on plan.

    OTOH, if you find you eat 'comfort food', and this food is
    typically pasta, bread, potatoes, then you -might- be a
    carb addict. If so, low carb, or eliminating the cravings
    should help.

    My feeling is when I'm in the right place in my low carb
    diet, I don't have any 'cravings' for food. Going through
    the 'induction phase' was crucial for my success.

    But if you don't have cravings, then any diet will
    probably work.

    -B

    -Badger "World's most dangerous City Bike Path Rider"

  14. AMG said:

    If you push on the bike, rather than just cruising, you
    might burn 500 calories / hr. But it would still take about
    seven hours of pedaling to burn off one pound of fat,
    assuming no change in diet. This is why you have to watch
    it in the kitchen, too, since it is not too difficult to
    add back a few hundred calories a day with the pasta,
    energy bars, etc., etc. It doesn't take much,
    unfortunately...

    Interesting calculation, since many beginner/intermediate
    bikes seem to ride about 7 hours a week.

    OK, that's over-simplified, but if it translates into a
    pound loss of fat per week, that's pretty good.

    I lose about 2-2.5 lbs per week during the 'optimal phase'
    of my dieting, and then level off to about 1-1.5 lb per week
    on diet alone.

    If you're recomposing and adding muscle to your legs, a wild
    ass guess, it seems to me, would show a 2lb loss per week,
    with maybe 1/4lb per week gain of muscle, maybe. So a 6-8lb
    loss of body weight per month, with, hopefully most of the
    loss being fat, plus a net gain of 1 lb of muscle per month
    (if you're biking hard and are a beginner), gives a final
    weight flux of minus 5-7lbs per month. This is what I'm
    seeing. (Note that it's almost impossible to lose fat and
    gain muscle at the same time, but it can happen for
    beginners.)

    As you get closer to goal, naturally, you'll have sticking
    points and the rate of fat loss and muscle gain will slow.

    Again, just wild ass guessing, off the top of my head, here.
    ;-p

    -B

    -Badger "World's most dangerous City Bike Path Rider"

  15. Marlene Blanshay wrote: <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    As for intensity, like hills etc, I think once you build
    endurance, that comes easier. Also as you lose weight,
    climbing is easier. So get those miles and go for a couple
    of really long rides a week and you'll not only lose the
    weight, you'll keep it off. And when your metabolism is
    working faster, you won't gain too much during the winter,
    unless you totally stuff your face and do nothing but
    watch tv for four months.

    Winter is training time for the Iditarod Impossible.
    ultimateiditarod.comupdate4.htm
    icebike.orgicebike.org bikewinter.orgbikewinter.org

  16. Look for breads and pastas made with whole grain. Check
    health food stores.

    curt said:


    Bicycling is a great way to lose weight! I think most
    important is to ride long and steady to lose. I don't
    use a HR monitor, so I can't help you there, but there
    is an effective HR for weight loss, but it is different
    for everyone and we would need to know more information
    about you.

    If you like pasta, it will be harder to lose, unless you
    don't eat that much. Sorry, that is just the way it is. A
    high carb diet makes it harder to lose, it is just the
    facts. It can certainly be done and is done all the time,
    but you need to cut calories, unless you are going to ride
    very long distances 4+ days a week. I suggest lower fat if
    you are going high carb. If you want to lose faster, then
    bag the pasta and eat chicken, fish, etc.

    JMHO, Curt


    <snip

  17. On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 16:53:09 -0500, Mike Schwab <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Look for breads and pastas made with whole grain. Check
    health food stores.

    Why? It's still going to spike your insulin. Tch; even the
    LC people tout this, but it's still bread.

    -Badger "World's most dangerous City Bike Path Rider"

  18. Sorry, wrong link.
    Organizer's site alaskaultrasport.comalaskaultrasport.com
    Photo gallery
    justridingalong.comiditabike photo gallery.php
    Story justridingalong.comiditabike2004.php
    CNN news story cnn.comoffbeat.iditarod.ap

    Mike Schwab said:


    Marlene Blanshay wrote: <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    As for intensity, like hills etc, I think once you build
    endurance, that comes easier. Also as you lose weight,
    climbing is easier. So get those miles and go for a
    couple of really long rides a week and you'll not only
    lose the weight, you'll keep it off. And when your
    metabolism is working faster, you won't gain too much
    during the winter, unless you totally stuff your face
    and do nothing but watch tv for four months.

    Winter is training time for the Iditarod Impossible.
    ultimateiditarod.comupdate4.htm
    icebike.orgicebike.org bikewinter.orgbikewinter.org

  19. With the whole grain bread / pasta, the sugar is consumed
    with the fiber and is absorbed slower. With the white bread,
    the sugar is absorbed very quickly. This difference wass
    measured by having testing persons eating a quantity of food
    then testing their blood surar.

    This is from Dr. Arthur Agaston's book South Beach diet.

    southbeachdiet.comsouthbeachdiet.com glycemicindex.comglycemicindex.com

    Badger_South said:


    Mike Schwab said:

    Look for breads and pastas made with whole grain. Check
    health food stores.

    Why? It's still going to spike your insulin. Tch; even the
    LC people tout this, but it's still bread.

    -Badger "World's most dangerous City Bike Path Rider"

  20. Before you go and cite some 'South Beach diet' or something,
    "Whole grain" bread -still- spikes insulin, and in some
    people, just as strongly as white bread.

    If I were to start eating whole grain pasta and bread, I'd
    quickly re-acquire my 'carb addiction'. So to suggest this
    to those on LC is specious at best and purposefully
    misleading at worst.

    Mike Schwab said:

    With the whole grain bread / pasta, the sugar is consumed
    with the fiber and is absorbed slower. With the white
    bread, the sugar is absorbed very quickly. This difference
    wass measured by having testing persons eating a quantity
    of food then testing their blood surar.

    This is from Dr. Arthur Agaston's book South Beach diet.

    southbeachdiet.comsouthbeachdiet.com
    glycemicindex.comglycemicindex.com

    Badger_South said:


    Mike Schwab said:

    Look for breads and pastas made with whole grain. Check
    health food stores.

    Why? It's still going to spike your insulin. Tch; even
    the LC people tout this, but it's still bread.

    -Badger "World's most dangerous City Bike Path Rider"

    -Badger "World's most dangerous City Bike Path Rider"

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.