• 16-20 pounds

Votes: 120 9.2%
  • 21-25 pounds

Votes: 810 62.3%
  • 26 pounds or more

Votes: 371 28.5%

• Total voters
Originally posted by meehs
Whenever someone is going on about the light wieght of their Speedplay pedals I tell them that they're so light because "the rest" of the pedal gets screwed to the bottom of their shoe! :D
Ok, ok, sure, I can take a shot at Speedplays for being a bit heavier when you count the bloated cleat -- but let's be fair. A pair of X1s with cleats, configured for a 4-hole mounting, is 212g. Heavier than the 150g pedal weight/pair, but still pretty feathery.

There are lighter models out there, but not too many.

Originally posted by lokstah
Ok, ok, sure, I can take a shot at Speedplays for being a bit heavier when you count the bloated cleat -- but let's be fair. A pair of X1s with cleats, configured for a 4-hole mounting, is 212g. Heavier than the 150g pedal weight/pair, but still pretty feathery.

There are lighter models out there, but not too many.

You're absolutely correct. Once you start looking at the pedals and cleats in combonation, things start evening out. Regarless of whether the majority of the weight is in the pedal or the cleat. I just like to poke fun at my buddies who use speedplays and then hang their bike on a scale and rave about their light pedals! Everyone that I know that uses the Speedplays swears by them. I've never tried them myself.

I'm one of the Speedplay cultists you speak of... we are a gushy bunch, aren't we?

I have a Allez Elite that I upgraded the fork and wheelset and now the bike weighs in at just under 17.5 lbs 7.893Kg

Hey you, the whole bunch, how fast, how far, and how high do you go while spending so much time gramming and weighing and babbling? Can you all average 25-28mph on a 30 mile rolling ride? That's the proof of the pudding.

hey thrillbill, lose the fat ass and feel the thrill of losing other fat asses. Costs you nothing - no bill, just the thrill Bill

Originally posted by Randal Lovelace
I just weighed both of the bikes if have....

Huffy Blue Ridge 18sp MTB - 34 pounds.....

Lotus Elan 12sp Road bike - 25 pounds....

How much does the bike you ride weigh?

It all depends on what I put on it. I ride an old Trek 830 and have for over 10,000 miles. I take my vacations on it. I load it down with tarp, tent, camping and camera gear and head out. I've even been known to take it into the woods looking for the best spot on a stream to fly-fish. The first time I headed from Connecticut to California, I had about 35 pounds of gear strapped in and on the panniers.

Originally posted by chow
Hey you, the whole bunch, how fast, how far, and how high do you go while spending so much time gramming and weighing and babbling? Can you all average 25-28mph on a 30 mile rolling ride? That's the proof of the pudding.
What's the problem, Chow? No one's telling you to take your 28 lbs Univega and go to hell. If you beat me up a big hill on that thing, I'll be the first guy to buy you a foamy beer when we get back.

But don't be jealous of my weightless seatpost...

Uh oh, and oops. It ain't 28 pounds - sorry to look for glory - it's 17ish. The difference is age - years and years of it and tens of thousands of miles. I'm just waiting for the overthehill slowdownhit the wall. So far it or I have eluded the other and I'll take the beer, first or last. Last race I was an hour behind the leader but he was 25 years younger. It's ok to be a bit of a showoff when the half century mark whizzed by about a decade age (or more)damn!
roules bien mon ami

Originally posted by chow
Uh oh, and oops. It ain't 28 pounds - sorry to look for glory - it's 17ish. The difference is age - years and years of it and tens of thousands of miles. I'm just waiting for the overthehill slowdownhit the wall. So far it or I have eluded the other and I'll take the beer, first or last. Last race I was an hour behind the leader but he was 25 years younger. It's ok to be a bit of a showoff when the half century mark whizzed by about a decade age (or more)damn!
roules bien mon ami
Congratulations on cheating death, then?

Seems a bit funny to taunt gram-counters on a thread about bike weight (not old riders), when you're rolling around on a 17-pounder. Anyways, no bad blood a free beer won't cure. See you at the bottom?

Originally posted by meehs
You're absolutely correct. Once you start looking at the pedals and cleats in combonation, things start evening out. Regarless of whether the majority of the weight is in the pedal or the cleat. I just like to poke fun at my buddies who use speedplays and then hang their bike on a scale and rave about their light pedals! Everyone that I know that uses the Speedplays swears by them. I've never tried them myself.

the majority of the Speedplay total weight is still in the pedals for Speedplays so it's not as even as you'd hope. :( the cleats are lighter than the new SPD-SL cleats, Time Impact, the Campys and Looks. :cool:

it's been beaten to death. the cleats look chunky, but have a big hole in the middle of them. give 'em a try! :D

17 pounds for my Bianchi XL EV2:

Campy Record 03/04 mix . FSA Carbon Team issue cranks. TA rings 53/39. Mavic SSC wheelset. Michelin Pro Race. SPD SL pedals. ITM millenium stem/seatpost, deda 215 shallow bars. Selle Italia TT saddle.

17 pounds for my Bianchi XL EV2:

Campy Record 03/04 mix . FSA Carbon Team issue cranks. TA rings 53/39. Mavic SSC wheelset. Michelin Pro Race. SPD SL pedals. ITM millenium stem/seatpost, deda 215 shallow bars. Selle Italia TT saddle.

Originally posted by Randybaker99
Anyone who gets a little obsessed with the weight of their bike, or is just curious about what makes a bike light, should see this:

http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegallery

Check it out, it is seriously hard-core!

They should post pictures of their wallets as well... i'm sure those got lighter from all that spending... even if only temporarily. :)