Road Cycling · Public discussion

How many recovery days before a Century?

Started by Glewis · · Last activity · 25 posts · 2,174 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
12 August 2005
Last activity
17 August 2005
Original author
Glewis
Posts
25
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,174
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 25
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I will be riding a century in 7 days. I've been averaging riding
    100-150 miles per week. How many days before the century should I taper
    off riding and how many miles daily? Or should I stop riding
    completely 3-4 days before the century ride?

  2. Glewis <[email hidden]> wrote:
    :>I will be riding a century in 7 days. I've been averaging riding
    :> 100-150 miles per week. How many days before the century should I
    :> taper off riding and how many miles daily?

    IMO, anything anyone says there is mainly conjecture.

    :> Or should I stop riding
    :> completely 3-4 days before the century ride?

    That works, IMO. Also, start your century going fairly easy...give yourself
    plenty of time to warm up.

  3. If you have been riding 100+ miles a week for a while then I predict
    the century will be no big deal and your speed should be the same as on
    most of your traing rides. I know lots of folks that ride less than you
    and do perfectly well on an occasional 100 mile day.
    Enjoy!

  4. Quoted message said:

    I will be riding a century in 7 days. I've been averaging riding
    100-150 miles per week. How many days before the century should I taper
    off riding and how many miles daily? Or should I stop riding
    completely 3-4 days before the century ride?

    People tend to worry too much about their pre-century preparation. Keep in
    mind that all the stuff pro athletes go through doesn't determine whether
    they finish or not... it's all about an extra 1, 2 or perhaps even 5% edge.
    Same thing for you.

    Your biggest challenge is likely not physical, but mental. Best thing is to
    not do anything stupid (no big hard rides in the prior two days) and have
    fun. Whatever you do three days before the ride isn't likely to have much
    effect.

    Oh, aside from one thing. Try not to get into a sleep-deficit situation
    ahead of the ride. The night before, you'll probably not get enough sleep
    (nerves might keep you up for a bit, and then you'll have to get up early to
    drive to the start). So make sure the nights prior that you get plenty of
    sleep. That *can* make a difference.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

  5. Glewis said:

    I will be riding a century in 7 days. I've been averaging riding
    100-150 miles per week. How many days before the century should I taper
    off riding and how many miles daily? Or should I stop riding
    completely 3-4 days before the century ride?

    IMO, not riding for 3-4 days would be fine.

    Something that I have done prior to endurance events is to rest up for
    several days and then the day before the event go out for a moderate
    ride. For example, prior to a 400K (~250 miles) I once did a 30 mile
    ride. It may seem counter-intuitive but it works for me. I came
    across this idea in a book by Arnie Baker.

    It sounds like you are physically prepared. My strongest suggestion is
    to go out and enjoy it.

    Good luck,
    Tom

  6. "Glewis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I will be riding a century in 7 days. I've been averaging riding
    100-150 miles per week. How many days before the century should I taper
    off riding and how many miles daily? Or should I stop riding
    completely 3-4 days before the century ride?

    Not that there is any correlation, but -- I was a long distance runner for
    years, starting in the mid-70's. I ran several marathons. I built up to
    running 70 or so miles per week, then, the week before the marathon, my
    schedule was:

    Preceding week: 72 miles
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: 22 miles
    Monday: rest
    Tuesday: 8 miles
    Wednesday: 4 miles
    Thursday: rest
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: Marathon

    I got a lot of sleep the week preceding the marathon.

    I found that the challenge was not so much physical as mental -- I had been
    putting in a lot of miles and was in good physical shape. The problem was
    that I was not certain what to expect -- hitting "the wall," puking my guts
    out, etc. When I coasted across the finish line in the top 30 percent of
    runners, I wondered what the big deal was.

    Of course, I was a recreational runner -- the only one I was competing with
    was myself. If you are out to set a world record, things may be different.

    Just some random thoughts.

    By the way, I hung up my running shoes a couple of months ago at age 60 and
    am now biking -- 5-8 miles a day, 15-16 miles on Saturday and Sunday.

    --

    -----
    Joe S.

  7. Glewis said:

    I will be riding a century in 7 days. I've been averaging riding
    100-150 miles per week. How many days before the century should I taper
    off riding and how many miles daily? Or should I stop riding
    completely 3-4 days before the century ride?

    I wouldn't lay off beforehand. Cycling is fun (or it should be) and
    an easy spin (or trip to the grocery store) will help keep your legs
    loose.

    FWIW, bicycle rides tend to not have ambulances, full-blown EMS,
    space blankets, and priests at the finish...centuries are relatively
    easy compared with marathons.

    HTH

    --Karen M.

  8. Joe S. said:


    "Glewis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I will be riding a century in 7 days. I've been averaging riding
    100-150 miles per week. How many days before the century should I taper
    off riding and how many miles daily? Or should I stop riding
    completely 3-4 days before the century ride?

    Not that there is any correlation, but -- I was a long distance runner for
    years, starting in the mid-70's. I ran several marathons. I built up to
    running 70 or so miles per week, then, the week before the marathon, my
    schedule was:

    Preceding week: 72 miles
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: 22 miles
    Monday: rest
    Tuesday: 8 miles
    Wednesday: 4 miles
    Thursday: rest
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: Marathon

    I got a lot of sleep the week preceding the marathon.

    I found that the challenge was not so much physical as mental -- I had been
    putting in a lot of miles and was in good physical shape. The problem was
    that I was not certain what to expect -- hitting "the wall," puking my guts
    out, etc. When I coasted across the finish line in the top 30 percent of
    runners, I wondered what the big deal was.

    Of course, I was a recreational runner -- the only one I was competing with
    was myself. If you are out to set a world record, things may be different.

    Just some random thoughts.

    By the way, I hung up my running shoes a couple of months ago at age 60 and
    am now biking -- 5-8 miles a day, 15-16 miles on Saturday and Sunday.

    Hey Joe, just wondering how your riding was going. I think you reported
    getting about 15mph or slightly less when you first came on the group. I'm
    kind of surprised that you're still in the range of 5-8 miles - I would
    have thought that for a talented runner like yourself that this would not
    be satisfying to you. After all, 5 miles at 15mph is only taking you about
    15-20 min per day, up to about 32min at 8 miles. However for a beginning
    cyclist this is quite good (I just put you at a different level in my mind,
    being such a great runner).

    Are you having any problems on this bike? Any plans to upgrade?

    Anyway, just touching base.

    jj

  9. Mike Jacoubowsky <[email hidden]> wrote:

    :> Oh, aside from one thing. Try not to get into a sleep-deficit
    :> situation ahead of the ride. The night before, you'll probably not
    :> get enough sleep (nerves might keep you up for a bit, and then
    :> you'll have to get up early to drive to the start). So make sure the
    :> nights prior that you get plenty of sleep. That *can* make a
    :> difference.
    :>

    That's really good advice. I'm always nervous before an organized ride.
    Don't know why...but making sure to get some rest the days prior makes a
    huge difference.

  10. On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 11:59:15 -0400, "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Mike Jacoubowsky <[email hidden]> wrote:

    :> Oh, aside from one thing. Try not to get into a sleep-deficit
    :> situation ahead of the ride. The night before, you'll probably not
    :> get enough sleep (nerves might keep you up for a bit, and then
    :> you'll have to get up early to drive to the start). So make sure the
    :> nights prior that you get plenty of sleep. That *can* make a
    :> difference.
    :>

    That's really good advice. I'm always nervous before an organized ride.
    Don't know why...but making sure to get some rest the days prior makes a
    huge difference.

    Hi Roger. Did you ever get torrents working and find those TdF vids?

    jj

  11. I submit that on or about 12 Aug 2005 12:05:03 -0700, the person known
    to the court as "Glewis" <[email hidden]> made a statement
    (<[email hidden]> in Your
    Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

    Quoted message said:

    I will be riding a century in 7 days. I've been averaging riding
    100-150 miles per week. How many days before the century should I taper
    off riding and how many miles daily?

    Is this a race or just a ride? If it's just a ride, I would not
    bother. I used to (a couple of years back) ride 75 miles per week
    commuting, 25 fast miles with the club on a Wednesday, some club rides
    on Sundays, and I rode centuries on consecutive Sundays without any
    break. A moderate paced century ride is no big deal if you are fit.
    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  12. On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 18:10:38 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I submit that on or about 12 Aug 2005 12:05:03 -0700, the person known
    to the court as "Glewis" <[email hidden]> made a statement
    (<[email hidden]> in Your
    Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

    Quoted message said:

    I will be riding a century in 7 days. I've been averaging riding
    100-150 miles per week. How many days before the century should I taper
    off riding and how many miles daily?

    Is this a race or just a ride? If it's just a ride, I would not
    bother. I used to (a couple of years back) ride 75 miles per week
    commuting, 25 fast miles with the club on a Wednesday, some club rides
    on Sundays, and I rode centuries on consecutive Sundays without any
    break. A moderate paced century ride is no big deal if you are fit.
    Guy

    Anytime you're in the saddle for 8-10 hours and your previous longest ride
    is 25 miles, I'd say it's a big deal. Are you applying recumbent
    experiences to road biking?

    What's a little surprising is that the OP just remarked that he had ridden
    at least three centuries before this.

    jj

  13. I submit that on or about Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:14:17 -0400, the person
    known to the court as jj<[email hidden]> made a statement
    (<[email hidden]> in Your Honour's bundle)
    to the following effect:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Is this a race or just a ride? If it's just a ride, I would not
    bother. I used to (a couple of years back) ride 75 miles per week
    commuting, 25 fast miles with the club on a Wednesday, some club rides
    on Sundays, and I rode centuries on consecutive Sundays without any
    break. A moderate paced century ride is no big deal if you are fit.
    Guy

    Quoted message said:

    Anytime you're in the saddle for 8-10 hours and your previous longest ride
    is 25 miles, I'd say it's a big deal. Are you applying recumbent
    experiences to road biking?

    No, I'm applying generic rules. Century rides tend not to be
    non-stop, after all - actually they are just a series of 25 mile rides
    an hour apart :-)

    I have never, since the age of 19 when I rode my first century on a
    brand-new Brooks B17N saddle, felt the need for special preparation.
    If you can ride 25 miles comfortably, you can ride 100.

    Quoted message said:

    What's a little surprising is that the OP just remarked that he had ridden
    at least three centuries before this.

    Quite. As I say, in my view a century ride is no biggie. I know one
    guy who's done one (and hilly at that) on a fixed wheel, that was
    brave!

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  14. I submit that on or about Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:33:09 -0400, the person
    known to the court as jj<[email hidden]> made a statement
    (<[email hidden]> in Your Honour's bundle)
    to the following effect:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Anytime you're in the saddle for 8-10 hours and your previous longest ride
    is 25 miles, I'd say it's a big deal. Are you applying recumbent
    experiences to road biking?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    No, I'm applying generic rules. Century rides tend not to be
    non-stop, after all - actually they are just a series of 25 mile rides
    an hour apart :-)

    Quoted message said:

    Not following you here. You mean ride for 90 minutes, stop at a rest stop
    for an hour? Who does that?

    You mean your club rides do not revolve around cafe stops? I'm not
    joining that club! :o)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I have never, since the age of 19 when I rode my first century on a
    brand-new Brooks B17N saddle, felt the need for special preparation.
    If you can ride 25 miles comfortably, you can ride 100.

    Quoted message said:

    So what rides have you ridden that -do- requires special preparation, and
    if so what?

    Nothing, really. Getting my average speed for a week up to 20mph took
    some work, and the first time I managed to ride 40 miles in under 2
    hours I bonked because I hadn't packed energy bars (since I never use
    them normally), but for a day ride I have never needed anything other
    than water and an occasional cake stop.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  15. On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 20:15:56 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Anytime you're in the saddle for 8-10 hours and your previous longest ride
    is 25 miles, I'd say it's a big deal. Are you applying recumbent
    experiences to road biking?

    No, I'm applying generic rules. Century rides tend not to be
    non-stop, after all - actually they are just a series of 25 mile rides
    an hour apart :-)

    Not following you here. You mean ride for 90 minutes, stop at a rest stop
    for an hour? Who does that?

    Quoted message said:

    I have never, since the age of 19 when I rode my first century on a
    brand-new Brooks B17N saddle, felt the need for special preparation.
    If you can ride 25 miles comfortably, you can ride 100.

    So what rides have you ridden that -do- requires special preparation, and
    if so what?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What's a little surprising is that the OP just remarked that he had ridden
    at least three centuries before this.

    Quite. As I say, in my view a century ride is no biggie. I know one
    guy who's done one (and hilly at that) on a fixed wheel, that was
    brave!

    Sounds like it.

    jj

    Quoted message said:

    Guy

  16. "jj" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Joe S. said:


    "Glewis" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I will be riding a century in 7 days. I've been averaging riding
    100-150 miles per week. How many days before the century should I taper
    off riding and how many miles daily? Or should I stop riding
    completely 3-4 days before the century ride?

    Not that there is any correlation, but -- I was a long distance runner


    for

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    years, starting in the mid-70's. I ran several marathons. I built up to
    running 70 or so miles per week, then, the week before the marathon, my
    schedule was:

    Preceding week: 72 miles
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: 22 miles
    Monday: rest
    Tuesday: 8 miles
    Wednesday: 4 miles
    Thursday: rest
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: Marathon

    I got a lot of sleep the week preceding the marathon.

    I found that the challenge was not so much physical as mental -- I had


    been

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    putting in a lot of miles and was in good physical shape. The problem


    was

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    that I was not certain what to expect -- hitting "the wall," puking my


    guts

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    out, etc. When I coasted across the finish line in the top 30 percent of
    runners, I wondered what the big deal was.

    Of course, I was a recreational runner -- the only one I was competing


    with

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    was myself. If you are out to set a world record, things may be


    different.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Just some random thoughts.

    By the way, I hung up my running shoes a couple of months ago at age 60


    and

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    am now biking -- 5-8 miles a day, 15-16 miles on Saturday and Sunday.

    Hey Joe, just wondering how your riding was going. I think you reported
    getting about 15mph or slightly less when you first came on the group. I'm
    kind of surprised that you're still in the range of 5-8 miles - I would
    have thought that for a talented runner like yourself that this would not
    be satisfying to you. After all, 5 miles at 15mph is only taking you about
    15-20 min per day, up to about 32min at 8 miles. However for a beginning
    cyclist this is quite good (I just put you at a different level in my


    mind,

    Quoted message said:

    being such a great runner).

    Are you having any problems on this bike? Any plans to upgrade?

    Anyway, just touching base.

    jj

    For the past month -- and for the next 2-3 months -- my bike-riding is
    taking a back seat to this:
    http://www.schlatter.org/House/intro%20page.htm

    I work at the local Home Depot -- my shift is 0400-1300 after which I head
    straight to the work site. With the slab poured and the framers about to
    start, I'll have more time. I am doing 12 or more miles on Saturday and
    Sunday mornings and that distance is no problem, except that my butt starts
    hurting around 10 miles!

    --
    ----
    Joe S.

  17. On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:46:06 -0500, "Joe S." <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Are you having any problems on this bike? Any plans to upgrade?

    Anyway, just touching base.

    jj

    For the past month -- and for the next 2-3 months -- my bike-riding is
    taking a back seat to this:
    http://www.schlatter.org/House/intro%20page.htm

    That's got to be a lot of work.

    Quoted message said:

    I work at the local Home Depot -- my shift is 0400-1300 after which I head
    straight to the work site.

    Oh, I thought you were retired.

    Quoted message said:

    With the slab poured and the framers about to
    start, I'll have more time. I am doing 12 or more miles on Saturday and
    Sunday mornings and that distance is no problem, except that my butt starts
    hurting around 10 miles!

    That's not normal. You probably have some kind of fit problem.

    jj

    Quoted message said:


    --
    ----
    Joe S.

  18. Quoted message said:

    Quite. As I say, in my view a century ride is no biggie. I know one guy who's
    done one (and hilly at that) on a fixed wheel, that was brave!

    This guy did a 400 km brevet on a fixed gear!
    http://www.commuterdude.com/
    http://www.commuterdude.com/teamcdude.htm below his photo
    Runner up longest day: 2005 KC Ultra Cycling 400km - 21 hours on a
    single speed, 252 miles. He posted the story to
    http://www.bikejournal.com (free registration required) but has not
    posted it to the site above.

  19. Quoted message said:

    Quite. As I say, in my view a century ride is no biggie. I know one
    guy who's done one (and hilly at that) on a fixed wheel, that was
    brave!

    I think people in general have this mindset that fixed gears are hard.

    In steep terrain with the wrong gearing, yes - but on a climb well-matched
    to the gearing, the fixed gear can be *easier* than a conventional bike.

    I've ridden a flatish 70-miler on my fixed, as well as a 50 mile ride with a
    tough climb (East side of Patterson Pass, for SF Bay Area readers), and I
    don't think either ride was significantly more difficult than it would have
    been on my "normal" bike.

    A friend has done the Solvang Century on his fixie, as well a loop which
    included climbing Mt. Hamilton. He's a fit rider, but no superman.

    Chris Neary
    [email hidden]

    "Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
    you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
    loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh

  20. --

    -----

    "jj" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:46:06 -0500, "Joe S." <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Are you having any problems on this bike? Any plans to upgrade?

    Anyway, just touching base.

    jj

    For the past month -- and for the next 2-3 months -- my bike-riding is
    taking a back seat to this:
    http://www.schlatter.org/House/intro%20page.htm

    That's got to be a lot of work.

    Quoted message said:

    I work at the local Home Depot -- my shift is 0400-1300 after which I


    head

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    straight to the work site.

    Oh, I thought you were retired.

    Retired from the Army and will retire for good once my daughter finishes law
    school.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    With the slab poured and the framers about to
    start, I'll have more time. I am doing 12 or more miles on Saturday and
    Sunday mornings and that distance is no problem, except that my butt


    starts

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    hurting around 10 miles!

    That's not normal. You probably have some kind of fit problem.

    It's a big-box store bike -- a Schwinn something purchased at a local
    sporting goods emporium. I replaced the stock saddle with The Seat but my
    skinny buns still get tired after several miles. I recall reading somewhere
    about a seat where they send you something on which you take an impression
    of your butt and send it to them then they make a seat to fit.

    The problem that I see with seats is you don't know if it feels good until
    after you buy it then ride on it for a couple of weeks -- after which it's
    too late to take it back and try another one.

    --
    Joe S.

    Quoted message said:


    jj

    Quoted message said:


    --
    ----
    Joe S.


Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.