Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

high powered LED's

Started by Katharine & Paul · · Last activity · 42 posts · 2,248 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
4 January 2006
Last activity
9 January 2006
Original author
Katharine & Paul
Posts
42
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,248
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–42 of 42
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On 2006-01-06, Marty (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:
    geoffs said:
    ghostgum said:

    It appears you can now get a 7W LED flashlight
    http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2328

    I am impressed with the output of this, 200 lumens vs the 120 lumen
    output of the 5w Luxeon. Strange that Luxeon dont have it listed on
    their website.
    I think I'll stick to the 21W HID Stadium III which uses this 'globe'
    (http://tinyurl.com/8qfyh) for the 1850 lumen output. LED's seem to be
    great for being seen but it's good to see where you are going.

    Geoff

    My guess is that it's an overdriven 5 watt one and they've just
    multiplied up the Lumens and then added a bit to say theirs is the
    brightest in the world. I'd be skeptical of the claims unless I saw more
    supporting evidence of their measurements.

    And it's not like luxeons have a large MTBF anyway. Overvolting them
    is a good way to bring that down further.

    --
    TimC
    Theoretically one might have been wearing pants at work.
    -- Anthony de Boer in Scary Devil Monastry

  2. On 2006-01-08, geoffs (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

    Quoted message said:

    We do have an LED as a backup for when I've forgotten to charge the
    battery. One thing that I have noticed though is that cars are much
    more prone top pulling out in front of when using the LED than the HID.
    With the LED car drivers know that it is a bike approaching whereas with
    the HID they must think its a motorbike and just wait until we are past.

    Anyone else with this experience or is it just us?

    Yep. I don't think I've ever had a driver pull out in front of me at
    night with my halogens -- even the 5Wer. And distances far greater
    than I can get away with in the daytime.

    That's not what I had with all my LED torches.

    Quoted message said:


    The 21w HID globe is only rated at 350hrs MTBF on the Welch Allyn site.
    The 10w has a 1000hr rating.
    So I had better start saving up for the $239USD for a new globe.
    Bugger!

    350hrs is not too bad. That's 2 years of commuting for me. It's not
    as terrible as my halogen globes, but then again, my halogens are a
    tenth the cost. OK, so HIDs do suck 🙂

    --
    TimC
    An optimist thinks we are living in the best of all possible worlds. A
    pessimist fears this is true. --unknown

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.