Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Going to Italy-electircal power convertors

Started by Qui si parla Campagnolo · · Last activity · 5 posts · 993 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
29 August 2005
Last activity
29 August 2005
Original author
Qui si parla Campagnolo
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
993
Views / 30 days
17

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. That's rifght, lucky enough to be going to Italy in September. I have a
    electircal power convertor I used in the UK. Will it work in Italy?
    Power the same?

  2. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    That's rifght, lucky enough to be going to Italy in September. I have a
    electircal power convertor I used in the UK. Will it work in Italy?
    Power the same?

    The plug's not the same, but the power is. Do you really need a power
    convertor and not just a plug converter? Many cellphone/pda
    chargers/laptop power supplies/shavers etc. work just fine when fed 230
    instead of 115. They'd have a marking on there somewhere like "100-240V
    in", rather than just "100-120".

    Plug converters to allow you to plug in US or UK plugs into Italian
    sockets ought to be available in plenty of places.

    Jasper

  3. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    That's rifght, lucky enough to be going to Italy in September. I have a
    electircal power convertor I used in the UK. Will it work in Italy?
    Power the same?

    Most power supplies work dual voltage now (iPod, laptop, cellphone,
    camera battery charger) etc but make sure -- otherwise it'll get
    interesting if you plug a 110V device into a 220V outlet. In either
    case, you'll need plug adapters, and Italy is different from UK.

  4. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    That's rifght, lucky enough to be going to Italy in September. I have a
    electircal power convertor I used in the UK. Will it work in Italy?
    Power the same?

    Where in Italy? Bringing a bike? I think the NG would really enjoy a trip
    report and maybe some photos on your website.
    --
    mark

  5. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    That's rifght, lucky enough to be going to Italy in September. I have a
    electircal power convertor I used in the UK. Will it work in Italy?
    Power the same?

    Power is 220-240V/50Hz. As others have reported the plug adapters for
    the UK will not work in Italy. Italy uses a plug that has two or three
    round prongs; a two prong fits all, the third is a ground that does not
    seem to be all that common. The same adapter works in France, Spain,
    etc.

    As others have noted, most modern electronics have power supplies
    capable of 110-120/60Hz (US) or 220-240/50Hz (much of the rest of the
    world). Likely you just need the plug adapter. To add what others
    have said, most of the power converters only work for high draw
    applications - things like hair dryers and the like. Hooking up one to
    a low draw electronic device is not advised. If you have low draw
    devices that do not have power supplies capable of working with
    220-240/50Hz you will need a power converter but you may need to search
    to find one that will work for low current draw devices.

    On the positive side, most of the places we stayed in Italy on our last
    two trips (2002, 2004) had at least one outlet that was 110-120V/60Hz
    with the standard two spade US socket. If there was only one it was in
    the bathroom. This was in rural areas as well as in the cities.

    - rick

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.