Road Cycling · Public discussion

Giant LAFree Lite electric bike - comments LONG

Started by Ralph · · Last activity · 13 posts · 481 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
7 July 2004
Last activity
23 July 2004
Original author
Ralph
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
481
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. We're a late 50's couple who haven't ridden in many years who bought two of
    these about 3 months now and put on a bit over 300 miles so far. Bottom line
    is that I highly recommend them if this is your kind of bike. If you're a
    purist, don't read any further.

    How they work:
    These are not electric motorcycles, you have to pedal to move. What they
    do is provide an electric assist, up to 130% of your effort (torque) in
    normal mode, 100% in eco mode, 0% if switched off at which point they are 47
    lb comfort bikes. The motor drives through the same 4 speed hub the pedal
    effort goes through, so shifting changes the motor's gearing also. The
    assist tails off as your cadence increases, dropping to 0 at about 70 rpm in
    each gear - about 18 mph in 4th with stock gearing. One odd effect of this
    is a massive assist at 0 rpm, i.e. when you are starting off from rest. You
    need to be careful of this at first, although it's great for crossing an
    intersection. Because you get more assist at lower cadence, it's easier and
    faster to go up hill in a higher gear and lower cadence than on a
    non-assisted bike. On steep hills, I'm normally in 2nd at about 50-55 rpm,
    about 8.5 - 10 mph in eco mode.

    What they're like to ride:
    As a friend put it: "They make you feel like superman!". When you pedal,
    the assist comes on automatically, instantly and proportionally to your
    effort, so the effect is to lower the pedal pressure you have to exert.
    There is a slight gear sound when the power is on which tapers off as the
    assist decreases. On level ground the bike quickly gets up to about 17.5 mph
    where it is providing a slight assist, just enough to make it very easy to
    maintain speed. Hills are the real win though. When we started with these,
    we were not cyclists at all, but even so were able to go up an 11% hill at
    about 7 mph in full power (now we do it at about 10 mph in eco). We were in
    Quebec City recently and biked along the St Lawrence about 20 miles out and
    back, mostly with power off. However, we then had to climb back up to the
    upper ville which is a very steep ascent, plus we were getting pretty tired.
    Turning on to full power let us get back to our hotel in a few minutes and
    without cardiac arrest. We were both surprised at how well this worked.

    The other time we use power a lot is in traffic. It allows much faster
    acceleration and sustained speed, so we can cross intersections and maneuver
    in traffic much more confidently.

    Currently we're at the level of casual cyclists, that is, with the power
    off, we easily stay with people (much younger) who ride on level ground a
    few miles per week, but get passed by everyone who's a serious cyclist. We
    normally ride with the power off on level ground up to about 20 miles at
    about 11 mph, turning the power on when going up hills or into a stiff
    headwind. However, after about 20 miles, we're both pretty pooped, so we use
    the eco mode as a "get home" assist. On reasonably level ground, we find
    switching on to eco mode is much like stopping for a break and often will do
    that for awhile then switch off again after we've recovered a bit. Of
    course, you're still moving at 12-14 mph during this break. Another use for
    power is that if you go somewhere and stop for lunch your muscles cool down
    and getting started again can be a real drag even on level ground. Again,
    turning on eco mode lets you start pedaling to warm up, but with very low
    pedal pressure, so soon you're feeling good and can shut the power off.

    We use these to get to our commuter bus, about 5.5 miles each way, and
    are pretty much always a bit later than we'd like,
    so are trying to make time riding with eco on. This is a moderately hilly
    road with two 100 ft climbs and descents, one the 11% hill mentioned above.
    Currently, carrying over 10 lbs of laptops and miscellaneous junk, we
    average about 15.3 mph and arrive only slightly sweaty if the air temps are
    below 75F or so.

    Range and fitness:
    When we started, with full power on over terrain like our commute above,
    averaging 13+ mph, the range was about 18 miles. In our current state, in
    eco mode, averaging 15+ mph the range is about 27 miles. On level ground in
    our current shape the limit is our endurancesince we don't really use the
    power much. On the above Quebec ride we rode over 20 miles and used less
    than 20% of the battery and both felt we could have gone another 10 miles or
    so if we were in eco mode. I doubt we would have used more than half the
    battery at that point. For someone with good endurance, on a reasonably
    level road, the range would be very large if they only used the power for
    hills.

    The real limit to range is the rider's endurance, how many hills you use
    power on, and how fast you want to get somewhere. We like riding with the
    power off both to get some more exercise, and for the silence. The motor
    isn't that noisy, but it's there. One effect we've noticed is that with the
    power on, the speed is seductive. You are tempted to pedal harder than you
    otherwise might because even with the minimal assist at the top end the
    speed is great and the motor noise keeps lessening at you get up to and
    exceed 18 mph. For people like us who are decidedly not athletes, the bikes
    make getting out a lot of fun and we've both noticed our pants getting
    looser (although I haven't seen any weight loss). As they say, the best
    exercise is the one you actually do.

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Ralph said:

    We're a late 50's couple who haven't ridden in many years who bought two of
    these about 3 months now and put on a bit over 300 miles so far. Bottom line
    is that I highly recommend them if this is your kind of bike. If you're a
    purist, don't read any further.

    Interesting ride report. Sounds like you're enjoying them.

    Quoted message said:

    The real limit to range is the rider's endurance, how many hills you use
    power on, and how fast you want to get somewhere. We like riding with the
    power off both to get some more exercise, and for the silence. The motor
    isn't that noisy, but it's there. One effect we've noticed is that with the
    power on, the speed is seductive. You are tempted to pedal harder than you
    otherwise might because even with the minimal assist at the top end the
    speed is great and the motor noise keeps lessening at you get up to and
    exceed 18 mph. For people like us who are decidedly not athletes, the bikes
    make getting out a lot of fun and we've both noticed our pants getting
    looser (although I haven't seen any weight loss). As they say, the best
    exercise is the one you actually do.

    18 mph is a pretty good speed, but of course you understand the lack of
    attraction for most cyclists: 30 km/h (just over 18 mph) sustained speed
    on level ground is a pretty good goal for a cyclist after a year or two
    of regular riding. After just over two years of regular bike commuting
    and a bit of recreational racing, I did a 100 km ride at around 25 km/h,
    including a food-and-bathroom break at the control point.

    Regarding the loose pants, I just wanted to reassure you: you're losing
    fat like crazy, but its being replaced by muscle mass. This means you
    get leaner and more muscular (which is good!) before you actually see
    any weight loss. Quite normal, and all to the good. Don't worry: the
    lack of weight loss doesn't mean you don't look better 🙂.

    I will keep something like this in mind for people I know. Until it is
    capable of sustained flat speeds of 50 km/h, I'm not interested. Right
    now my goal is to TT at 50 for 1-2 km at a time. Because that would be
    crazy-fast, and allow me to keep up with traffic 🙂.

    -RjC.
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com
    President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  3. Ralph said:

    We're a late 50's couple who haven't ridden in many years who bought two of
    these about 3 months now and put on a bit over 300 miles so far. Bottom line
    is that I highly recommend them if this is your kind of bike. If you're a
    purist, don't read any further.

    I guess I might be a 'purist' but I've long felt that if electric
    bikes can get a few people out of their cars, then they have to be a
    good thing. I really enjoyed reading your experiences.

    Quoted message said:

    We normally ride with the power off on level ground up to about 20 miles
    at about 11 mph, turning the power on when going up hills or into a stiff
    headwind. However, after about 20 miles, we're both pretty pooped, so we use
    the eco mode as a "get home" assist.

    As you say, with the power off 'they are 47lb comfort bikes'. I can't
    help thinking that with the level of fitness you now have, you'd be
    able to ride 20 miles at 11mph quite comfortably on a normal bike and
    still have plenty of energy left to get home.

    Still, they work for you and you're enjoying them so keep it up!

    Regards,
    Mike

  4. Quoted message said:

    I guess I might be a 'purist' but I've long felt that
    if electric bikes can get a few people out of their cars,
    then they have to be a good thing.

    =v= "Purist" is, of course, and _ad_hominem_ deflection.
    As for getting people out of their cars, gee, it sure would
    be nice if these "electric bikes are great" messages would
    be posted to an automobiles newsgroup. Just once, at least.
    <_Jym_>

  5. "Ryan Cousineau" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Ralph" <[email hidden]> wrote:


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    I will keep something like this in mind for people I know. Until it is
    capable of sustained flat speeds of 50 km/h, I'm not interested. Right
    now my goal is to TT at 50 for 1-2 km at a time. Because that would be
    crazy-fast, and allow me to keep up with traffic 🙂.

    Well, as a motorcycle rider and hotrodder in a previous life, I've wondered
    about that kind of speed too. With an 8 speed hub and geared to have a
    cadence of about 60 at 30 mph so the assist is still on strong, I think it
    might well be possible to maintain 30 mph on the level. You'd probably go
    through the battery pretty quickly, but I'd think it would still have a
    range of 10 - 15 miles.

    Stronger legs first though before doing anything else.

    DISCLAIMER: Regearing is probably illegal, so don't even think of it.

  6. (Mike Farnes) said:

    As you say, with the power off 'they are 47lb comfort bikes'. I can't
    help thinking that with the level of fitness you now have, you'd be
    able to ride 20 miles at 11mph quite comfortably on a normal bike and
    still have plenty of energy left to get home.

    I have unpowered bikes in the twenty-something pound range and in the
    forty-something pound range, and I don't find it noticeably easier to
    do given speeds or distances on the lightweight ones. As long as the
    drive system of the LA Free Lite does not impose an extra source of
    significant drag on the bike, it should not handicap performance very
    much vs. a lighter bike of otherwise similar design.

    Chalo Colina

  7. I've coasted on level ground beside people with pretty serious road bikes
    and stayed with them.

    Actually though, that's another effect with these bikes. With the assist,
    going uphill isn't a problem, however, because of their extra weight (not to
    mention my own), the energy you built up going uphill really shines going
    down - you fly. I've hit over 33 mph coasting downhill. It's also amazing to
    me that 30 mph on a bike is as much fun as 90 on a motorcycle (not like 140
    though).

    "Chalo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (Mike Farnes) wrote:
    I have unpowered bikes in the twenty-something pound range and in the
    forty-something pound range, and I don't find it noticeably easier to
    do given speeds or distances on the lightweight ones. As long as the
    drive system of the LA Free Lite does not impose an extra source of
    significant drag on the bike, it should not handicap performance very
    much vs. a lighter bike of otherwise similar design.

  8. "Ralph" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Range and fitness:
    When we started, with full power on over terrain like our commute above,
    averaging 13+ mph, the range was about 18 miles. In our current state, in
    eco mode, averaging 15+ mph the range is about 27 miles. On level ground in
    our current shape the limit is our endurancesince we don't really use the
    power much. On the above Quebec ride we rode over 20 miles and used less
    than 20% of the battery and both felt we could have gone another 10 miles or
    so if we were in eco mode. I doubt we would have used more than half the
    battery at that point. For someone with good endurance, on a reasonably
    level road, the range would be very large if they only used the power for
    hills.

    The real limit to range is the rider's endurance, how many hills you use
    power on, and how fast you want to get somewhere. We like riding with the
    power off both to get some more exercise, and for the silence. The motor
    isn't that noisy, but it's there. One effect we've noticed is that with the
    power on, the speed is seductive. You are tempted to pedal harder than you
    otherwise might because even with the minimal assist at the top end the
    speed is great and the motor noise keeps lessening at you get up to and
    exceed 18 mph. For people like us who are decidedly not athletes, the bikes
    make getting out a lot of fun and we've both noticed our pants getting
    looser (although I haven't seen any weight loss). As they say, the best
    exercise is the one you actually do.

    The LAFree Lite is a great design, it fees like a real bike and makes the
    inexperienced rider feel strong and confident. I have one that I use
    occasionally, but it really belongs to my wife now. The range "on level ground"
    is pretty much theoretical in Seattle since there is very little level ground to
    be found. I found the range is easily 20 miles in moderate hills, and that was
    after switching from a 20 tooth to an 18 tooth cog in the back. The bike is
    heavy and the position is very upright so it very difficult to exceed 20 mph
    since the power assist rolls off at 18 or 19 mph. As I said, I don't ride it
    much because my road bike is faster and has unlimited range :-) but the electric
    was instrumental in getting me in condition to ride it after some years of
    inactivity.

  9. Wed, 07 Jul 2004 23:08:13 -0700,
    <[email hidden]>,

    Ryan Cousineau said:

    Right
    now my goal is to TT at 50 for 1-2 km at a time. Because that would be
    crazy-fast, and allow me to keep up with traffic 🙂

    Riding a TT is not like riding in traffic.
    In traffic you've got to keep your head up.
    --
    zk

  10. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Zoot Katz said:

    Wed, 07 Jul 2004 23:08:13 -0700,
    <[email hidden]>,

    Ryan Cousineau said:

    Right
    now my goal is to TT at 50 for 1-2 km at a time. Because that would be
    crazy-fast, and allow me to keep up with traffic 🙂

    Riding a TT is not like riding in traffic.
    In traffic you've got to keep your head up.

    Oh, I know that. I commute nearly the entire length of Columbia street.
    There are busier, faster, narrower roads in town, but not a whole lot.
    It took me about two months to get off the sidewalk and onto the roads
    on that route; being able to do a steady 40 km/h on the flat section is
    a real help.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com
    President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  11. Ryan Cousineau said:

    I will keep something like this in mind for people I know. Until it is
    capable of sustained flat speeds of 50 km/h, I'm not interested. Right
    now my goal is to TT at 50 for 1-2 km at a time. Because that would be
    crazy-fast, and allow me to keep up with traffic 🙂.

    If you tried to ride 50 km/h in Paris, you would get a speeding ticket!

    EFR
    Ile de France

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,
    Elisa Francesca Roselli

    Quoted message said:
    Ryan Cousineau said:

    I will keep something like this in mind for people I know. Until it is
    capable of sustained flat speeds of 50 km/h, I'm not interested. Right
    now my goal is to TT at 50 for 1-2 km at a time. Because that would be
    crazy-fast, and allow me to keep up with traffic 🙂.

    If you tried to ride 50 km/h in Paris, you would get a speeding ticket!

    EFR
    Ile de France

    In Vancouver, I can't get arrested.

    Coming to work, I ride along Columbia St., the main road in downtown New
    Westminster, posted 30 km/h. The police do a speed trap at the start of
    the downtown section about every six months or so. I _know_ I can hit 35
    km/h as I crest the rise there, but the cops didn't even look at me last
    time.

    I'll try for 40,
    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com
    President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  13. Ryan Cousineau <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Elisa Francesca Roselli

    Quoted message said:
    Ryan Cousineau said:

    I will keep something like this in mind for people I know.
    Until it is capable of sustained flat speeds of 50 km/h, I'm
    not interested. Right now my goal is to TT at 50 for 1-2 km at
    a time. Because that would be crazy-fast, and allow me to keep
    up with traffic 🙂.

    If you tried to ride 50 km/h in Paris, you would get a speeding
    ticket!

    EFR
    Ile de France

    In Vancouver, I can't get arrested.

    Coming to work, I ride along Columbia St., the main road in
    downtown New Westminster, posted 30 km/h. The police do a speed
    trap at the start of the downtown section about every six months
    or so. I _know_ I can hit 35 km/h as I crest the rise there, but
    the cops didn't even look at me last time.

    I'll try for 40,

    I have done 60 on the downhill in Stanley park that is posted for
    30kph and they don't even bother aiming the radar gun at me...I don't
    count!!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.